Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Super Waffle posted:

Apparently Palladium Eagles are gonna be a thing? :eyepop:

Anyone here collect palladium?

Huh, last I read they were cancelling it. Goes to show how little numismatic news is really out there. What research I did do a few months ago makes palladium seem like it's price is more dependent on the computer production than any of the other bullion metals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Super Waffle posted:

So SafeChat, what do you guys use for storage/security? Any safes you can recommend?

I used to use a Sentry personal fire safe, but I've since switched to a Cannon gun safe both because of the size of the collection, and obviously guns. Definitely look at the fire rating first and foremost, then weight of the safe if you're worried someone's gonna try and remove it. I personally like both safes, but I've never had a fire or robbery. I don't entirely like that they both have keypads, but I'm a curmudgeon who's selective about what technology I like.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I was curious about buying the American palladium coin, and I got worried that the metal is up $400 in trading. I did not expect Apmex to be selling the coin for double the spot price, first minting or not.

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 14, 2018

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

Soft Plastic pockets

That's what holds most of circulation collection, perfect excuse to open the safe and see how disintegrated my coins are. Hope my notes are ok...

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
For those of you into bank notes, De La Rue is in trouble:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50557097

Surprisingly, it's not because of people using cashless options--they lost the post-Brexit passport printing contract to a continental firm.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

meat police posted:

Kind of surprised this thread isn't poppin' all things considered :sweatdrop:

Yeah, I was expecting the goldbugs etc. to be going nuts, maybe they all got covid. I probably read the data all wrong, but somehow the greenback is the big "winner" in this downturn?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Lol whoops I forgot the Morgan Peace preorders were yesterday:
https://mobile.twitter.com/usmint/status/1396917601431957511
https://mobile.twitter.com/usmint/status/1396917605806624769

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

E: While I'm posting, are silver eagles worth anything more than silver value? I have a whole pile of them in their original boxes, various years back to the 80s. I haven't even started trying to dig through the pile of silver bullion, seems like it's going to be more of a pain than ebaying graded coins.

A quick look on ampex has an '86 Brilliant Uncirculated at $86, but it drops off once the first year premium wears off: '87 is $47.50, with this year going for $36. I do not know what the Holy Red Book says regarding sale prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Debating if it's worth picking up a Mint set from Canada/Australia/UK this year, or do I press my luck we get Queen Elizabeth on coins in '22.