Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Digging all of these space coins. Might have to take up coin collecting with more vigor now.

Al Harrington posted:

https://collectivecoin.com/NiceCurrency

I just bought this for myself because that's the greatest portrait I've ever seen on a coin and he looks so pissed off in his full armor, bad rear end!

Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI 1721 Taler (ancestor of the Dollar) PCGS MS62

I love that I knew that dude was a Hapsburg before I read the name. Even in profile on coins, their distinctive ugliness cannot be masked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Shampoo posted:

Pre-Mao China (probably?)

That's a 100 yuan note issued by the Central Reserve Bank of China, featuring Sun Yat-sen. Oddly, the Central Reserve Bank of China was a Japanese puppet bank operating from ~1940-1945 in occupied China.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

DominusDeus posted:

1920 Pilgrim Commemorative Half Dollar

I didn't know the US struck any commemorative coins (that were intended for circulation) besides the bicentennial series. This is pretty cool.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Sesquiculus posted:

I don't usually collect US coins, but a friend offered me this one. A copper Andrew Jackson "Hard Times" token, struck in 1834 AD. Used as unofficial private currency after President Jackson abolished the national bank. The obverse is Jackson popping out of a chest holding a sword and money bag with the inscription "I Take the Responsibility." The reverse is a donkey labeled "LLD" (a reference to Jackson's honorary degree) and the inscription "The Constitution As I Understand It."

This is a hella cool piece of Americana. Can I ask how much it cost?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Is there a magnifying lamp any of y'all would recommend? My dad loves his Indian Head pennies and I thought that might be a nice gift for him, since he's getting up there (and is weirdly far-sighted).