Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't really collect coins as much as accumulate them, but as I have a bunch of rather nice-looking domestic coins that are 60-110 years old, I'd like to find a storage solution that's a bit more refined than the current "camera film canisters and an old Ananas candy tin" situation. I went a-BingTMing and came to a rather surprising conclusion: there is absolutely no loving way to safely store coins while still being able to look at them every once in a while!

Every resource I could find basically said: coin holders with adhesive make the coin gray in a few decades, coin holders without adhesive (i.e. ones you staple shut) let air in and the coins get dirty in a few decades, clear plastic pockets - or album pages containing the same - loving disintegrate the coin, and hard plastic "pills" wear down the coin. Small acid-free paper envelopes - as used by museums - were the only storage option no expert could find fault with.

The photographic evidence of all this was actually perfectly convincing, but I'm wondering if manufacturers these days don't just use better-suited materials? I mean for a coin to acquire a horrible layer of green poo poo inside a holder in thirty years, the holder has to be at least thirty years old.

Any ideas? I'm thinking big name-brand (Leuchtturm is the only one I recognize) stapled holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They're not trying to make money out of Fallout silver in 2020 after Trump nukes Ohio, they're trying to make money out of idiot Youtubes right now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I have to dig through literally every single box of garbage he hoarded over his entire life

That was the plan.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Coins that are $20 are not worth counterfeiting I wouldn’t think.

Lmao.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I probably have some Hitler-era German postage stamps, but as far as I remember, I don't have any Hitler head stamps. (Or if I do, they're somewhere in the "haven't looked through" boxes.)

e: I've never collected German stamps but I've inherited a few collections.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Have some respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just remembered a dude trying to sell Hilti washers on Facebook Marketplace as antique or vintage tokens.