Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

323 is an oddly specific goal number lol. I wish I knew more about older Canadian silver, I've mostly just been picking up old American silver quarters/dimes when I chance upon them.

That German coin is awesome, I've been looking at old Prussian gold coins but every listing seems to want an absurd premium on top of melt value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I will never get tired of the American Silver Eagle and Libertad designs. I finally finished my air-tite tube of 1/10 fractional Gold Eagles, so I've moved on to grabbing gold Sovereigns when I can find them close to melt value.

If gold would just drop back below 1,200/oz that would be lovely.

edit: I'm also really glad this thread has come back from the dead.

meat police fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 22, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Finally got this 1876 Sovereign. It came out of jewelry so it didn't have any collectible value, just melt. I didn't like the design at first but it's growing on me, I also might try to grab some Francs if I can find an ok deal.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Thats a really cool looking coin! How much gold is that?

Is anyone planning on getting one of the new African-American Lady Liberty coins? I'm saving up for one currently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/us/black-lady-liberty-us-coin.html

US Mint website says April 6th release date

0.23 toz / 7.98 grams, since a majority of them can be haggled down to melt value they make fun pieces just to play with, since they'll never be worth less than melt. I've grabbed two more that I'm waiting to get in.

I actually think the new lady liberty design looks pretty cool, I just wish her star headband wasn't so huge design-wise. I think after this coin they're going to release one with a hispanic lady liberty in a series celebrating diversity, might have to put aside some money for them.

Gold and silver is taking a small pounding today so I'm seeing if I can grab a roll of Mercury dimes somewhere.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Goddamn that lady liberty 15 cent bill design is awesome. I've always wondered about graded bills, do they put them in a large slab like they do coins? With paper money it seems like it'd require a real careful touch.

I recieved my other two Soveriegns in to join my 1876. A 1968 and a 2017. Sorry for the completely awful cell camera photos.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

:eyepop:

Nice bills and sovereigns!

APMEX has another monster box sweepstakes, this time for 500 oz of silver maple leafs. You can enter online, don't have to buy anything

http://www.apmex.com/2017-rcm-sweepstakes

Does anyone have any of the silver Queen's Beasts? Almost grabbed a Griffon but the Red Dragon is coming out soon and it looks pretty cool

Haven't bought any of those yet although I've been debating buying a 20 count tube for fun. Currently the big seller/resellers I've noticed in my groups have been the gold Roosters from China and the gold Scrooge McDucks from the New Zealand Mint.

Don't forget APMEX and JM Bullion and most big Mints have eBay storefronts. Although it's very rare, they do sell combo packages for a lower price at times on there.

Have you guys seen the Effigy Mounds Quarter design? It's bad, reeeeally bad.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Your posts are talking me into getting a scanner.

Surprised Goons haven't made a sane FB group revolving around PM's. God knows the world needs it.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

Your posts are talking me into getting a scanner.

Surprised Goons haven't made a sane FB group revolving around PM's. God knows the world needs it.

*does the phone call finger movement and whispers* 'call me'

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I never thought you would run into those big of issues honestly. I mean those notes aren't using the EURion constellation that paper monies and particularly sensitive memo's utilize.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Dang, it's crazy that those old of bills would still trip up scanners, a testament to their efforts to prevent forgeries.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

You were lucky to buy in low, I saw it hit 16.99 and went "nah surely it'll hit $16 again" but :sigh:

So they finally announced preorder pricing on the new silver Krugerrand at $60, $130 for it to be already graded. I know it's a hell of a premium but I'll probably grab an SP70 just because I want one, no real investment there.

I almost never buy silver with a high premium, because it seems to require a lot of wheeling and dealing to make back any money. I might as well start buying limited ed. Elvis plates out of the Sunday circular by that point.

meat police fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 13, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

And finally my first ever gold coin! A 2015 1/10 ounce gold eagle:

Its so teeny! :buddy:

Hahaha welcome to the Au addiction buddy, the cool thing about fractionals like the 1/10 and 1/4 is that they're super easy to find a buyer if you ever need to liquidate.

I bought the graded SP70 silver Krugerrand because I'm dumb and I like looking at shiny things.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I bought 4 more Sovereigns before the Fed rate hike :/

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I would love for a day off but in the meantime I like money haha. I've got a Ruger 1911 I've been wanting to play with but again, no time off the past few months.

GovMint called me to follow up on my order, super nice guys there.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Got my Silver Krugerrand in, I'll take a pic later.

Still kind of bummed out the premium was so ridiculous, I was wanting to buy a roll of 20 but not until they drop the pricing.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Both, but leaning more towards hobby. I like numismatics, and it's something I can always turn around and sell if times somehow got tough without losing too much on it.

Wish there were more sane coin/metal communities. I like the general debt free lifestyle they promote, but I also don't think the dollar is going to crash and all of a sudden I'll need to adapt to a barter economy.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I saw her for sale on the US mint site for $1,600, still too rich for my blood.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I think I've done it--I've found the ugliest gold coin so far.

1/25 oz Fine Gold Coin - Owl Shaman Holding Goose

I also have a small collection of pictures of the tackiest and worst looking silver rounds I've come across. I'll need to sort through them and make a post when I get a day off sometime.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

An early preview into tacky silver: the face you make when you know the Mrs is making your favorite meal.

The Krug I said I would share and forgot about :

A random morgan I talked someone into selling for $15:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Debating on grabbing a 10oz silver bar for fun, I love the way the RMC cast bars look.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Every PM group I'm in has people going batty for those Swans. Some are already reselling them for profit in some instances.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Jimmy James posted:

Just don't pay premiums for bars. That poo poo is bonkers. It's crazy how much some vintage bars go for.

Where would you suggest someone to buy from? I avoid antique/art bars, talk about a meritless premium.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

The precious metal buy/sell groups on FB are pretty good, there's also some members that have coin/metal shops that do a lot of their selling there. I think JM Bullion/APMEX/Provident Metals are the big three I like to deal with, they also have eBay storefronts where deals can be had on occasion. I'm subscribed to that r/PMsforsale so I need to give it a closer look, thanks for the recommendation.

My last purchase was a 5toz silver goblet because why not. I'll need to pull the trigger soon on something else while prices are dipping.

meat police fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 5, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I'm probably going to unload 40 silver eagles to subsidize my other hobby, but not sure if FB selling is a good way to go about it.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Really digging that silver trade unit. I always keep my eyes peeled at the local coin shop hoping they'll get one in.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

In a strange turn of events I actually found myself with a day off. I swung by the local coin store and bought some misc. silver to celebrate. Five dollar roll of Mercury dimes in the background.

meat police fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 3, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Agreed, it's a fun thing to do just don't bet the farm expecting huge returns. More of a side hobby that is safeguarded from inflation.

I didn't know this until last week but apparently old slot machines used to take and pay out in Morgans, they're easy to identify by the type of wear.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Wish I was buying when it very briefly dipped into $14 when Japan's market opened yesterday, but the window was only open for a minute or two. Think I might buy some more generic while it's 15-16.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

APMEX, JM Bullion and Provident Metals are the big 3 I buy from online.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Like clockwork, every time precious metals takes a dip the metal groups get flooded with people selling like crazy. Buy high ... sell low?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Facebook sales groups are the worst. I haven't lost anything in my adventure but it's been close. lol

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Silver Gold Bull has a cool little deal where you can buy a 10toz silver bar at spot price. Similar to JM Bullion's beginner pack but with the bar instead of 10 1toz generic rounds.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

In your experience, do LCSs pay under/spot/over when selling poured bars and casts? I love the way poured bars look but IDK if it is worth the premium over say generic round.

If it's just generic rounds/bars I'd expect spot price at the very minimum. Libertads/ASE/etc I'd expect some over spot. It's usually easy to find private buyers online from private groups that have well-referenced buyers.

meat police fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 2, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Nice, Standing Libertys will always be my favorite design ever.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

You can still, just barely, make out the nipple on that one :v:

Had someone report a Facebook post of mine before because of the tiddies on a gold Libertad. God bless this mess.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Another 10oz Silver bar at spot deal except this time at SD Bullion with coupon code SILVER23. I wish they'd let us choose a different design but hey, can't beat spot. Only downside is I think they might charge shipping, about to find out.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

Another 10oz Silver bar at spot deal except this time at SD Bullion with coupon code SILVER23. I wish they'd let us choose a different design but hey, can't beat spot. Only downside is I think they might charge shipping, about to find out.

edit: Gross, ~$8 for shipping plus debit/card processing fees attached. I can get better deals elsewhere, nevermind.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

My local coin shop actually pulled through and had some Sovereigns at melt price, I'm always on the prowl for them at a good rate. Also 2 rolls of Mercury dimes and my 10oz at spot price bar.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Do gold/silver prices rise after natural disasters? Im in Orlando bracing for Irma and am considering buying a few ounces in case things go super Mad Max (:v:). I found a semi-local place that told me they're selling silver eagles at $2 above spot which seems like a deal.

Natural disasters, also the idiocy going on over in North Korea. Any time there's some military bloviating the metal market temporarily jumps. Two over spot would put it at around $20, which isn't that bad for ASE's.

Pissed I didn't buy more Sovereigns while gold was still under 1300.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Decided to check out a local CASH4GOLD type place on the off chance they had some silver coins for a decent price. The very nice woman informed me that some guy came in that morning and cleaned them out of 175+ Morgans, Peace, and Eagles :negative:

Huh, I never would have guessed CASH4GOLD joints would mess with silver. I thought most of their business model was just shipping off 18k-22k gold jewelry to be melted down. I might have to go bug a few this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I love Silver Eagles, but I'd really like to grab some silver Hungary Koronas while silver is at 17. Anyone have an idea of what the avg prices would normally be for them?