Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Season 1 Thread posted:

I gave up on this poo poo before the first or second commercial. Cannot really remember. This is "intelligent" comedy for people of average or below-average intelligence and no sense of writing.

Season 1 Thread posted:

Anyone laugh at this even once? Not me.

Season 1 Thread posted:

This show is fresh, funny, and intelligent. It'll get canceled in 3 episodes.

Season 1 Thread posted:

I laughed and will watch again, but at the same time, I can't really see how this show can sustain itself for very long. I just can't see where it can "go".
Well, here we are. Community was canceled and when all hope was lost, when we were passed over by Netflix and Hulu and the contracts were just about to expire, we were saved the only way that made sense: a B-tier search engine. Somehow fitting for this show. Yes, Community was saved by Yahoo, that search bar your mom uses that you didn’t even realize was still a thing. Luckily enough for the show, they were looking for a high-profile project to lead their own attempt at a streaming service, which also means that they’re not going to interfere with the content or budget.

For those curious, Yahoo Screen is a free service, though it does have ads. The international rights are a mess, though. It’s airing on Yahoo Screen in the United States (and Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia), and a day later on SET in the UK and Stan in Australia. Live in Canada? Sorry, you’re hosed.

The show's not going to change much. Like the last two seasons, it's 13 episodes. It’ll be a few minutes longer per episode, but that's really it. Harmon, despite his love of doing bold poo poo, is pretty attached to the usual three-act episode structure so crazy 40 minute experiments like Arrested Development season 4 don't really appeal to him for something like Community.

Unfortunately, the cast is going to be getting smaller yet again, with the news that Shirley won’t be returning. Yvette Nicole Brown asked to be released from her contract so she could take care of her dying father and took a much less time-consuming role on CBS’ The Odd Couple. YNB is a phenomenal comedic actress, but Season 5 kind of proved the writers don’t know what to do with her a lot of the time so it might be for the best, honestly. Also not returning for the sixth season are Jonathan Banks and John Oliver, who have commitments to incredibly popular shows at the moment, the ingrates.

There's also no word on if Pierce or Troy will be coming back in any capacity. There are a few factors making a Pierce return unlikely, including Chevy Chase's termination from the show and the character's untimely death, but the crew has been weirdly coy about the possibility. As for Donald Glover, we can only hope, especially because we have at least one :toxx: against it happening.

On the bright side, to fight the hemorrhaging the cast was going through, the show brought in Paget Brewster and Keith loving David as regulars. Both of them have been on the show before in guest roles, which I expect will probably just be ignored, but you never know with this show. Either way, both of them have impressive comedic experience and seem like fantastic additions to the cast.

As for this season, it’s still too early to tell what it’ll be. Dan Harmon, praise be to him, has said this season will be more grounded, but I feel like it’s the third or fourth time I’ve heard that lie. Other news, though, seems like it’ll fix a lot of problems people have been complaining about for a while. We’re going back to Los Angeles City College to film for the first time since Season 1, and the set lighting (ugggghhhhh) seems improved. It also seems that the show will actually try to explore Jeff as a teacher, which it completely ignored in favor of the Save Greendale Committee last season.

If you need more to go on, there’s a trailer here, though most of it’s too out-of-context to get a real read on what the season will be.

If you need more information for whatever reason, consult my big long dumb effortpost from the last thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597051

Community airs Tuesday, March 17 on Yahoo Screen. :siren: New episodes go up here at midnight the night before. :siren:

:siren: IT'S FREE MORONS :siren:

Still waiting on that movie.

Arist fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is this getting released week to week or all at once?

Week to week, though they're putting out two tomorrow.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chromecast is not supported.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I don't know at what time the episodes are going up and I don't think Dan Harmon does either.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ashpanash posted:

Apparently they are going up at 3AM EST/12AM PST tonight (or tomorrow if you want to look at it that way.)

Do you have a source for this? I'm not finding anything.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If I'd heard we'd somehow find a worse timeslot than our old one I wouldn't have believed it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not sure how we're gonna do a livewatch, there's ads.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:siren: https://screen.yahoo.com/community/ladders-070001899.html :siren:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When Is It Okay To Shake A Baby?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Todd's back! :argh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What the gently caress, Garrett.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Somebody fund Hard Drive & Wing Man.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like, I knew YNB lost a ton of weight but holy poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really loved Britta's parents.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Brocktoon posted:

Hard Drive and Wing Man is up there among the hardest I've ever laughed at this show, especially with the Harmontown reference. I'm hoping the insanity level stays this high.

Did anyone else notice the picture of Harmon in the speakeasy with "DO NOT SERVE THIS MAN"?

That wasn't Dan Harmon, it was Dean of Admissions and Professor of Women's Studies Dr. Pat Isakson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3z5QO2O3cU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It was strongly implied in a promotional site (I found it weird that she was being so forthcoming about it) and then the season 3 finale brought it back.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're not loving helping

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's no way it's gonna be a straight paintball episode. They're either completely lying to us or it's gonna be a Pulp Fiction scenario like one poster suggested.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wouldn't hold your breath on that getting resolved any time soon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Opening bit with the text had me rolling.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A MIRACLE posted:

And the lighting is darker.

Jesus gently caress

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Those bastards, they finally did it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Steve Vader posted:

Is that the same person playing Annie Kim? I may be remembering badly, but she seems different.

She looked a little different to me too (the lack of glasses probably helped), but going by the credits it's the same actress.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You guys must be trolling me at this point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Brawnfire posted:

I enjoy the television program Community.

mods?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Keith David is so loving great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Paget Brewster just kills it every episode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dan got confused and wrote the line as "kettle drums."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cake Attack posted:

i thought the episode was funny and laughed when they made the jokes about honda and the subway man

how dare you

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Police Justice!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Look man, if you don't think that's amazing I don't know what to tell you

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thought it was quarter to five
But it was quarter to rear end
You thought your plumbing was safe
But your jeans were half-mast
Another coin down the drain
Now that's some change that won't last

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loved that. Also jesus christ, that tag.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

VagueRant posted:

They stopped toeing the line of Abed's meta-ness when they had him turn to the camera and speak directly to the audience at the end of season 5. The flashback things were a little much in this, but they were also really repetitive and annoying and completely pointless.

I'm surprised the tags this season are so popular. They all feel like Family Guy cutaway gags and are weirdly dull. I remember when we had fun times with the study group, and clever, inventive Spanish raps instead of "it's like a parody of promo for a TV show but it's WACKY and ZANY because that's still funny the third time, right?"
What even was the intention of the incredibly dragged out scene where Keith David very slowly finds the nest of charging phones while being in ironic denial that the group could be that stupid? It went on for so long with its obvious conclusion and lack of a punchline.

You talk about them earning the story, here we've got an Almost-Bottle-Episode where the characters continue to act like terrible, unreasonable children and bicker for no good reason. You look back at Cooperative Caligraphy in season 2 and you can totally relate to the characters, they have sensible reasons to be angry with each other that all stem from their unique characterisation.

This season every time the group argue it's just noise.

I give you permission to stop watching.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wax Lion posted:

This should be probatable. If a guy is just sharing his opinion and all you can offer in response is this petulant bullshit you're not adding to the conversation. What do you people what this thread to be, a chorus of "another great episode Dan?"

Anyway, what was Harmon thinking not structuring this as the final season? How deluded is he to think he'll ever get even this much of the cast together again if Yahoo's Original Content Folly continues next year? Maybe he could have gotten Donald Glover back if it was clear he was wrapping up the story.

He posts the same poo poo every loving week, dude.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Irish Joe posted:

:mediocre:

Paintball just isn't the same without a talented director.

This is a good post because now I know that smilie exists.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I also made that mistake, but realized it wasn't him in the next shot when I got a better look at his face.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

El Tortuga posted:

I made a stinky.

Next thread title.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was amazing, holy poo poo. The tag had me in tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dan had a great wedding

• Locked thread