Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'm pretty excited for HarmonQuest season 2. I'm glad Erin is coming back. I actually found Dan Harmon to be the least enjoyable part of that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Yes, I remember Matt "Literally the most recognisable British comedian" Lucas

He has zero US presence, so when I saw him on Doctor Who I was like "Hey it's the guy from community".

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Oh come on... Krog Mondoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire? (I'm not even checking if I spelled that correctly.) He'll always be the 'Better Nick Frost' from Shaun of the Dead to me though.

I've never heard of that show but I'll look it up because it sounds funny.

thexerox123 posted:

Little Britain had a run on HBO less than a decade ago.

So I looked this up, it was like 6 episodes and was cancelled before the second season. We're not talking massive crossover success or anything. I don't think it's super controversial to say that not much British TV makes it over here.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Adaptations or otherwise. Iirc, there was an attempt at making a US version of QI that never went anywhere besides John Hodgeman making a guest appearance in a QI episode.

Yeah exactly. There are a few, house of cards recently obviously. Sanford and Son back in the day, but most people who watch that stuff are generally not aware of the roots or influences.

Now I want to know if there's a British Community I would enjoy.

Didn't McHale do an IT Crowd US reboot that didn't go anywhere?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

The worst was how it was a line-for-line pilot reshoot, without considering that McHale is a completely different kind of personality from O'Dowd. How can anyone take him seriously cast as a nerdy schlub?

I don't know why Ayoade agreed to that, but I know he deeply regrets it.

Yeah I'm watching it now. This is terrible.

I think I read that Ayoade had producer credits, so it was probably a money thing.

McHale is totally wrong for this part.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Arist posted:

It reminds me of the time they tried to make a US version of Spaced.

Wait WHAT?

Actually the cast seems fine. It's just directed like an american sitcom and loses all the charm of the original. Glad it didn't go anywhere.

hanales fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 1, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Yet O'Dowd is going to be in the Get Shorty series so maybe actors can be cast in multiple physical types?

I don't think McHale is a good enough actor for that though. Winger was good because it was a fictionalized continuation of his Soup character.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Seeso sold Harmonquest so it's up in the air right now.

I heard it's because seeso is dying.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
In case anyone watches Harmon Quest, season 2 is coming September 15th to VRV

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I don't know if anyone watched it, but I was a little disappointed with harmonquest season 2. Seemed kind of low energy throughout.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I agree with you guys. I did laugh but there were indeed a lot of weird character beats. I felt like some of the guests weren't strong improvisers either. Dan and Erin definitely had some distance between them which is understandable. I also felt the overall plot didn't progress very well. It was almost like they tried to make it too complicated? I don't know hard to explain.

Anyway, I still watched it, and will probably rewatch it, and will definitely watch a season 3.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

The writers didn't know what to do with Pierce in Season 3 (outside of the the episodes with his dad) because they hastily backed away from the ending of Season 2 where Pierce quit the group in order to let him come back. They would have been better served letting him stay separated, only interacting with the group in a guest star capacity like Duncan, before ultimately reconciling at the end of the season following the video game episode (and possibly by having him play a role in bringing down Chang because he would be allowed to stay at Greendale because he is no longer part of the group). I realize this would have never flown since Chevy was probably still considered the main draw of the show in Season 3, but in hindsight a reduced role might have mitigated the tension between him and Dan and also allowed his character to maintain something resembling a consistent arc.

Also Dan could have not been a dick to him. I know Chevy is not the awesomest human alive, but as we learn more about Dan and his behavior I really feel it was probably mostly his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ElCondemn posted:

I suppose you could look at it that way, I've always taken it as a way to call out those issues without being preachy. But that might just be me being hopeful that she doesn't actually think minorities etc. are the butt of the joke...

I dunno I remember pages being devoted to bashing her because she said people should eat cake instead of protest. I feel like a lot of people like really don’t get her.

• Locked thread