Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mortanis posted:

I think that's the first episode of Community in a long while that had me actually laughing audibly.

Also, really loved the long beat on Keith David's stare at Paget Brewster. Everything needs more Vice President Keith David.

It's almost distracting every time he speaks. That Keith David voice is like a force of nature. :allears:

I hope Britta gets to be a winner soon. She seems more abused than normal so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brawnfire posted:

one day you will be as small as me

I thought the father's speech was pretty well-written. It seemed super-dramatic and literary.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Holyshoot posted:

You people complaining about Britta being poo poo on have obviously never seen the league.

They jam a League ad on the front of Itunes episodes of It's Always Sunny... Is the show actually any good?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bown posted:

god drat this episode was funny. the only thing i didn't like was dean coming out as a politician. it felt like a pretty cheap joke they thought was cleverer than it was. otherwise really good and was really well-paced despite being 31 minutes long.

When it ended, I was expecting some during-the-credits tomfoolery, because it didn't seem like it had taken so long.

Holy cow, the director character was fantastic -- that guy should win some kind of acting award.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Binary Badger posted:

Was the motto of Greendale always "E Pluribus Anus?" The logo was very unsubtle too, might as well have had goatse...

Getting that flag design approved is why the study group was assigned to clean up the Eleven Herbs & Space Experience.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dreylad posted:

Yeah, he's really making the episodes, even the ones that aren't great.

I really like that the old guy on the show is no longer a dummy. (Also, he's Keith David, but you knew that. :swoon:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ETB posted:

Frankie is the best. Elroy is a close second.

I can get on board with this sentiment.

It was nice to have a Britta-centric episode; I just wish she didn't have to wind up sad at the end. :(

(Great to see her parents again. :allears:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rexides posted:

Are people disappointed with the episode just because there was heavy product placement (understatement), or because having that product placement somehow necessitated having fewer jokes or less interesting character development? Because I believe that you could replace Honda with whatever fictional car manufacturer could exist in the show's universe and it would still be a great episode.

In fact, I think that having a real brand made it funnier because there was now also the metaplot of the show criticizing the very thing it was doing so shamelessly.

I think it would have been funnier if it was a real brand that wasn't sponsoring the show. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ETB posted:

I need a gif of Frankie scolding and comforting the haters... I mean idiots.

Dammit, Frankie, the steel drum comment was a trap! :cripes:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Giggs posted:

The worst thing in the episode was Paget Brewster pretending to play the steel drums. It's always super noticeable when actors are pretending to play instruments, but it's also completely understandable and fine.

Agreed. Maybe they should have stuck with kettle drums; I think it would be easier to look like you're playing those.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I really disliked the bad movie acting at first, but it grew on me as the episode went on. I think Frankie is intentionally trying to pretend to play steel drums incredibly badly. I think Britta needs some curls or waves or something in her hair. I liked Jeff's fear of being the last one at Greendale -- he's wanted more than anyone to get away, and now it's looking like he never will. The Glip-Glop was obnoxious and not funny, and I hated it unironically. Keith David is awesome. Abed is emoting a lot more than he ever has before, and it's weird, although the idea that he's trying to do what he thinks people would do in his situation makes it a little better for me. The tear running down Leonard's face cracked me up. And the tiny door that Chang had to leave through was great.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doakes posted:

Britta 1
Annie 0

Sure, but that's true for every episode of Community.

This episode was a little like "The Sting", in that it had great music and felt like something truly amazing/hilarious was going to happen, but it wound up feeling anticlimactic. That said, this season as a whole has been pretty darned good overall, and not something that I regret watching.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Calico Heart posted:

This season feels like it's suffered the most cartoonification. The comedy was always wacky, but now it feels so wacky in tone that nothing really actually matters anymore.

Somebody with time and energy should analyze Jeff's "I must defeat him" attitude from this episode as compared to when it happened in the pottery episode.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

thexerox123 posted:

Nothing this season has been as bad as the schmitty episode. :colbert: :can:

The parts of that episode that didn't involve the high school kids were pretty good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hard counter posted:

Yarp, it was modestly original early on but lately whenever they've leaned too hard on the meta gimmick it's become clear that the writers conceptualize things completely in terms of formulas and tropes. When the backbones show too much in the draft, they just wave it off with Abed saying a thing.

I really disliked Abed all episode until Frankie pitched the "this is the flashback" angle to him. I don't know if it made the whole thing funny, but it was a great idea.

Britta had the best line of the episode, about rerouting Kennedy's parade.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Naet posted:

There have been some good jokes throughout the season and I still enjoy the characters (for the most part -- Abed's schtick is grating), but let's put this show to bed now.

Why is Abed irritating now, when he was great before? The obvious answer would be the loss of Troy, I think. Without somebody to be meta with, he ends up pushing his meta onto the whole group, and it doesn't work as well.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brawnfire posted:

Well... I guess we don't see our patterns until they're all laid out in front of us.

I now have a mental image of Frankie doing her Dean-soothing "so, so dumb" thing every time he does something Deanish. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In the incest-episode ending, did they make Dan look extra dishevelled and greying, or is he always like that these days?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irish Joe posted:

Fun fact: two elementary schools were forced to cancel their senior trips to the natural history museum of LA because Dan was holding his wedding there.

You can't let schoolkids into an event with an open bar -- it gets expensive real fast.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SwissCM posted:

Yeah honestly I've been enjoying this season. It's moved away from a more traditional sitcom into a weird experimental thing that is tonally more in line with Rick and Morty than anything else. Cynical, aware of itself but still has a heart to it.

This season started off great, but there were a couple of episodes I didn't really care for, and I was worried it had lost its mojo. Fortunately, the last two have been excellent, and I feel really good about this show. It's weird, it's misshapen, but it's good stuff. I was nervous when I saw they were doing another paintball episode, but starting off with a Highlander tribute(?) and putting Kumail in the show were fantastic ways to make it clear that it wasn't going to stink. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
If you're going to end a series, that's one hell of an amazing way to do it. :wow:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Not enough jokes for my liking, the only really funny bits were jeff's redhead study group and when chang farted

I thought the actors did a good job imitating the speech patterns of the characters who were telling the story at that point. It made me laugh. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Steve Vader posted:

drat Yahoo Roku App that can't do something as simple as loving REWINDING. I want to watch a lot of these bits over again and can't without rewatching the whole show.

When I've watched the episodes with Chrome, not only do I get commercials, I get commercials offset several minutes from the points in the show where they're supposed to cut to commercials. And it turns closed captioning back on after every commercial break.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Steve Vader posted:

I liked that the Dean didn't think either of the two extra characters could sit in the empty seat next to Jeff.

That's the Dean's seat. Dressed as Father Time for some reason? :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irish Joe posted:

Forgot about R&M. Always considered it more Roiland's show.

I'm working my way through the Harmontown podcasts from before I started listening, and you can hear some things that probably went straight from Dan's brain into R&M. When he talks about how much he hates "Inception" or how bad/sad it is that humans have taken wolves and turned them into lapdogs, you get the idea that he's actually writing for the show, instead of just doing whatever a producer does.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Holyshoot posted:

Stupid question that I am probably aware of the answer but not as this word but what do you guys mean by tag?

The little bit of the show that comes after the episode has finished, usually while some of the credits appear on the screen. It's often not directly related to the subject of the show. It's usually just a little fun joke, but they've gotten elaborate this year.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brocktoon posted:

God forbid a show labelled a comedy spend a SINGLE PRECIOUS SECOND not telling a joke!

Also, a quarter of its runtime? Really? The clip of the theme was, what , maybe 7 seconds? And they played it 5-6 times?

Edit: Why the gently caress am I engaging Irish Joe?

It is fair to suggest that the episode might be rated a little higher because it's so fresh in the mind.

(I really liked the repetition of the theme, especially when they started to play it faster to get through it.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irish Joe posted:

To be fair, I have a different need than the rest of you. When I watch a television show, I want to be entertained. If its a comedy, I want to laugh. The fandom that grew out of and around Community, however, don't care about whether the show is funny or entertaining. Community fans are a lot like Gamers in that liking Community becomes part of their identity as human beings. Jack, Britta and Annie aren't characters on a television show, they're friends whose stories they've been following for the last six years. People they relate to and want to see be happy. People to whom they're emotionally invested. That's why they'll defend bad seasons and bad episodes, because they feel like their good friends are being attacked. What's more, Community fans like being in on the joke, which is why the top tens posted in this thread contain a lot of gimmick episodes rather than funny episodes. They see these episodes as like a secret handshake shared among friends. That kind of fandom--that way of watching the show--is pathetic. I have no emotional investment in the show. I don't think the characters are my friends. I don't care if they live or die. I just want to laugh, and when the show fails to amuse me, I'm going to point it out and complain.

This reminds me of the big shift in Simpsons writing around season 8 or 9. They had been doing stories where characters grew and changed and acted as you might expect, and then they switched to just "being funny" instead of the character-driven stuff. I'm not so emotionally invested in Community, but it definitely took a lot out of my enjoyment of the Simpsons.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tellah posted:

The part that got me the most was Annie and Jeff griping about their age and their obligations to normative social roles, followed shortly by Annie saying "I'm in my 20's, who cares?"

Allison Brie is 32.

Allison Brie and Gillian Jacobs are the same age, but their characters aren't.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brawnfire posted:

I loved the scene where Duncan activates some sort of covert missile tower over the phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_MkKJPNjQ

FOR MARIGOLD, PRESS 4

The lack of Professor Duncan is the greatest problem with season 6.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MikeJF posted:

Man, one thing I really miss about the early seasons is Britta being able to match Jeff in verbal sparring and instantly calling all of his bullshit.

I like Smart Britta who makes mistakes more than Dumb Britta who's just dumb. She kicked his rear end (conversationally) in the pilot, and it really made me like the characters more.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irish Joe posted:

Episode 74: Morality is widely considered by fans to be the best episode of Harmontown. Start there and, if you like what you hear, go back to the beginning.

I disagree; episode 87 ("Kiss doesn't get the joke") made me laugh more, and episode 97 ("Long brown blood", my first episode) is also super-good.

edit: Holy poo poo, I just looked up "Morality", and shame on you Irish Joe for trying to gently caress with people. :colbert: (It's an amazing episode, but it's not for first-timers.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 15, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Steve Vader posted:

Alison Brie is going to star in and executive produce a show on TV Land about elementary school teachers. It features Key & Peele showrunners and a Chicago improv group called The Katydids because everybody in the group is named some form of Kate.

TV Land. That's not the best sign.

I thought TV Land was all about reruns? :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The latest Harmontown podcast has Paget Brewster as a guest, and she's great. :swoon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Transmodiar posted:

Why not just ask Harmon on Twitter when he turns it back on? It's not like the dude is shy about sharing his opinions.

This also seems like the kind of question he might enjoy talking about. Unless the mention of season 4 sets him off in a bad way. :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

That's pretty amazing. I want him to write a book of stuff like this. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irish Joe posted:

You're like a battered wife who sticks with her husband for the kids. Just let it go. The fourth season never happened and the kids will be better off if you two separate.

I was doing a rewatch and stalled out during season 4. I wasn't really aware of the Harmondrama the first time I watched it, but it still just didn't feel right back then. I wish I could explain it better, though. "I don't like it now" isn't enough.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HD DAD posted:

He also likened it, I believe, to being forced to watch your girlfriend blow a bunch of other dudes.

I think the big Dan-talks-about-season-4 episode was this one: http://www.harmontown.com/2013/06/episode-60-us-of-the-dangling-wee-wee/

He starts about a minute in.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I would like to say that Gillian Jacobs is beautiful, and while I would be willing to watch her sleep, I would not do such a thing without having previously obtained her consent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Solice Kirsk posted:

I talked to an Allison and she agrees that it's creepy. Now, its not Allison Brie and just my friend Allison, but so far thats a 1 for 1 of confirmed Allisons not approving of watching them sleep or comments of the like.

Did your Allison have the correct number of "l"s in her name, though?

• Locked thread