Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Vegetable posted:

A lot of things are different in Season 1. Troy is a jock. Abed's a robot, barely a human. There's more focus on interaction between all three women. Pierce is a totally likeable guy, often with good things to say.

If you ask me my biggest regret is how they changed Pierce into this unsympathetic guy. It strikes me as mean-spirited (even for all the behind-the-scenes poo poo Chevy Chase pulled) and not all that great for the show.

I would say the biggest difference between Season 1 and Season 2 is that Abed becomes the dominant Harmon self-insert over Pierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Pierce's writing and characterisation declined when Harmon stopped identifying with him and started identifying as Abed.

There's a looooooooot more Pierce apologises for being a jerk but people still love that he is a jerk in the first season, than there is Abed is unable to emotionally connect, except through pop-culture, and alienates people but is accepted by his friends anyway.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dan Harmon was Britta, wasn't he?

He was a little of Chevy's, Joel's, Dani Pudi's and Gillain's characters.

All of them at the start represent different parts of Harmon's personality.

Except in Season 2, it was clear that he decided that Abed was the one who most reflected him, taking the awkward gently caress up role from Chevy.

It's so clear from the first season that Chevy was supposed be repellent but redeemable but over the course of seasons of people genuinely disliking Chevy in the cast and crew, all of that element disappeared.

• Locked thread