Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Vicki got another singing gig! Good for her. Also roffles @ slenderman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

While I didn't have a problem with the E2 Britta storyline, my partner, who is not a Harmontown fan, initially did, until I explained that the show was absolutely taking her side. See, Harmon is closer to Britta than to any of the other characters - check out how he basically describes his oppositional defiant disorder in a Rolling Stone interview from last year:

Dan Harmon posted:

I think probably the worst thing about my personality is that there must have been some huge dopamine or serotonin spike when I shamed my grade school principal, or the first time I told my Mom she couldn't make me clean my room. Those experiences were too emotionally formative for me. At the age of 41, I still think I'm addicted to the rush of proving to people that they can't control me.

Harmon had some really abusive parents, like seriously brutally abusive, as he tells it. On Harmontown he's talked about coming to basically the same conclusion as Frankie, realizing that the parents he developed himself in opposition to are now harmless, relatively good-natured old people. While their present benign selves don't make up for what they did, they do call into question Harmon / Britta's entire personal worldview. If their two original tyrants aren't monsters, then no one is a monster, and no one gets to be a hero for fighting them, especially a decade or two after the other side stopped actually being oppressive. In essence, carrying the theme from the first episode, how do you define yourself when there's no longer a Big Bad to cast yourself against?

Of course, one shouldn't have to be an obsessive Harmon fan like myself to understand the emotional conclusion of the episode, so that's definitely something of a shortcoming. Still, I really love where the season is going so far, pairing the grounded, character-based plots (and exteriors!) of S1 with the rich, layered comedy of the later seasons. Happy to see most of the thread seems to be in agreement, but I suppose we're still in the S6 honeymoon period.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

It took my third watch to realize that Annie was miming milking cow-Abed in their handshake, not miming jacking him off. Yeah, I'm kind of ashamed, but it's a good handshake either way.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

*ahem* Haaaaaaaam, girl!

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

I don't know about anyone else, but I try to stream the show on different devices, from different IPs (nothing fancy, just maybe watching on the phone on 4G rather than my home wifi) to give it just a little extra boost. With adblock off even, which is a pretty unprecedented concession from me. If Yahoo! doesn't give us at least a movie, I won't be able to help but feel a little betrayed.

Chwoka posted:

This is the first season Chang's worked since the first.
Yeah, one of this season's strengths is that they both know what to do with Chang and actually are willing to use him to anchor stories. He really proved himself in the ghost episode last season, I think.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Oof. I'm a little afraid we may have entered the "Harmon ran out of time and just slapped some poo poo together" part of the season. Someone please explain if there's another layer of comedy underneath "The Gang Does Grifting Tropes," because I'm just not seeing it, and I watched it twice in a row because it was so flat to me I thought I was watching it wrong. Ryan Ridley aside, It's like they didn't have time to go back and add / punch up jokes. Hot dogs??? Do I need to go watch The Sting or something?

It kills me to say this on several levels, but the show has dropped off in quality after the product placement episode.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Nadir speech for the win! Solid episode - when was the last time things got this delightfully meta? I think that the last 2 episodes, before tonight's, will probably be considered the low point (nadir, sorry) of an otherwise excellent season of Community, like the last two episodes of Season 5, or the first quarter of the first season, excepting the pilot. Matt Besser's closing tag was amazing too.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

For all the others who loved this week's tag, Dan Harmon talks all about its genesis in the newest Community Postmortem:

quote:

Yahoo:The show’s cartoon logic — the idea of following an idea to crazytown and beyond, but still being logical — is something you don’t see anywhere else. Another show might have a guy who buys a giant hand, but what is it about your thought process that generates the giant watch and the boy dragged away by a giant kite?
I guess I’ve always been fascinated with the difference between what we call comedy and what we call drama. This year, with the tags, we’re exploring a lot. I’ve also been fascinated with what we consider to be the boundaries of what a story is about and how life never really obeys those boundaries.

Dan Harmon: Down every street, there’s a story going on. Your perception warps that to turn everyone else in the world into background characters. The same as when you’re driving, the place directly around you doesn’t seem foggy — it’s everywhere else in the world that’s just in a fog. So it seems like all other human beings aren’t important and — if you’re having a good time — it seems like the world is good.

So I always enjoy the random embers from the campfire, following one in particular that tots off, rolls somewhere, and starts its own fire. And also, I get nervous when all we did was tell a joke, because it feels like, “Why is the show a half-hour long? And why is it so expensive and why do we care? We can just tell a joke into a microphone, so why are we watching a TV show?” I just feel like the answer has to be because people are real. Every joke has this tragedy behind it and every tragedy has a joke within it; that’s why this is a larger form that’s more captivating to people, so let’s make good on it.

So with that tag, the first thing is simply, “Well, isn’t this funny that we get to see the guy that was going to buy the hand?” Then that became, “Yeah, then he hangs up the phone, then we reveal that there’s this watch.” The original thought was this guy, he’s at a rest area — somewhere to make the exchange — so he goes over to his car and there’s a giant watch on a trailer on his car. And then we start thinking, yes, it’s funny that that guy exists and that we bother to spend time with him. Yes, that’s funny: We’ve done that before. Yes, it’s absurd and hilarious that the reason he wants a giant hand is because he already has a giant watch.

But then, having written that, you just go, “Well, if this is truly a funny joke and it’s so concise, then doesn’t it deserve to be defiled and explored? Because we can cut it later if we don’t like it, but let’s have his wife walk in. And just when you make people feel comfortable with you as Henny Youngman, turn into David Mamet and that’ll be extra funny. Alternating artifice with reality, back and forth, back and forth. I guess that’s just always been my instinct.

I just discovered these Q&A's, will have to read the rest. Starting with Grifting 101, to get some goddamn answers :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Goddamn, the Grifting 101 Q&A reveals that in a later episode this season, Dan's wife Erin McGathy is going to be playing someone's fiancée. Dan then mentions that Erin's character's fiancée is "kind of a jerk," which I think in descending order of likeliness would be Jeff, Elroy, Frankie (most hilarious option IMO). Maybe Frankie wouldn't be so unlikely, though, considering that neither Jeff nor Elroy currently seems ready for a stable relationship, let alone marriage?
So my interest is sufficiently piqued for whenever that happens, maybe second-to-last episode since the finale will be another paintball extravaganza?

• Locked thread