Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Whether or not it was outright rape or directly translates into that, it was clearly intended as and portrayed as a violation. Garnet specifically brings up permission for why it's so horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I can only believe that Lapis is so driven to keep the fusion up because of her personal issues.

Because surely unfused, she could wipe the floor with Jasper in a fight. Particularly underwater.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Well Sapphire at least is. She's accepted that Pearl has apologized and knows she was in the wrong. Of course, Garnet is a conversation with Ruby, and Ruby's mad as hell, so I suppose when Garnet will forgive Pearl is still up in the air.

No, Sapphire is legit just as angry as Ruby. That's why her powers were going just as haywire as Ruby's. Whenever Sapphire claimed she was fine the ice spread further. She was just trying to suppress it and move past it because that's what's going to happen anyway and is for the best. But like she said at the end, she was ignoring how pissed off she still was in the present which makes forgiving Pearl unfeasible. They both will forgive her, just not now.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

God, I really love Steven's various friendships with the townspeople. And how Jaime never talked down to him once in the episode because he was a kid.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

By the way, I love that Steven threw his shield Captain America style and it just bumped of Peridot's head like a frisbee.

And I loved her whiny indignant "owwww!" as if he actually had just thrown a frisbee at her head. I love the way Steven treats her like they're play fighting and she completely goes down to his level.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I also just saw it pointed out that even though Peridot can turn her hand into a cannon she just flicks Steven to try to get him off. :allears:

No-one can take the situation seriously with Peridot, not even her.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

subpar anachronism posted:

Sapphire isn't some legless freak, she's just capable of doing the same jumpy/floaty thing other gems (including Rose) have done. Sugar's doodled her with legs before.

Ok but:

The bottom of her dress is a flat surface?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I doubt Lapis is Blue Diamond, but I do think there has to be some explanation for why she's so stupidly powerful. She completely eclipses everyone else.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

johntfs posted:

Honestly, no, for at least a couple of reasons. First, Peridot works better as a foil/contrast with Pearl. She kind of an "upgraded version" of Pearl but she clearly lacks the maturity and experience that Pearl has. Peridot doesn't need to be a villain, but she doesn't need to formally join the CGs either. Second, "We are the Crystal Gems... save the day..find a way... believe in Garnet, Amethyst and... Pearl. And Steven. And Connie. And Lapis. And Peridot. And Jasper. And Sadie. And Onion. And... the episode will be over before the theme song is,"

Pearl and Peridot could be good, but so far her interactions with Steven have all been fantastic and the Pearl/Peridot contrast isn't something the show has actually focused on or even brought up. Her and Steven's jokey antagonism has been great though and seeing him bounce off her grumpiness and hammy egotism on missions would be great too.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Maybe they can't work out if this show is for boys or girls and they're too confused about who to make the toys for.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So anyway, anyone watching the Doug Walker vlogs? They're kind of poo poo. He and his brother have mostly just rambled on about boring tangents and made bad jokes, they barely talk about the show. I know the early episodes are kinda sparse but how do you gently caress up Lars and the Cool Kids? It's one of the best episodes.

It's disappointing, his Adventure Time stuff was decent. But then he did need someone holding his hand through the whole series.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I won't accept any ending that doesn't spend at least 5 minutes on Steven and Connie's wedding cake.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I honestly don't think I even considered that there was anyone that didn't think Homura was gay. Like I can see reading it as Madoka not liking her back and it being a tragic thing but the whole loving her so bad she lived a million years just to protect her just as gal pals seems too silly. If it was a dude and a lady no one would ever ever even suggest an interpretation like that.

Yeah, I'm really confused about this supposed baiting because Homura is Pearl-level gay and I've never seen anything suggesting otherwise. I don't remember any almost-kisses or leering shots either.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I was wondering how Peridot knew Steven had healed Lapis' gem, since Lapis never mentioned him, but I guess that she knows Rose had healing powers and put 2 and 2 together. So nitpick averted.

If the Cluster is as bad as it sounds like, maybe Peridot can convince Jasper to help take it down whenever her situation inevitably implodes. Villian team ups are just the best.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

About the "War machine" line: Homeworld likely see's fusion as just a way to get stronger, like Jasper said. There's no relationship aspect. So to that perspective Garnet constantly being fused makes it seem like fighting is all she ever does.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

What if Gemworld used to be a normal planet with water and trees but the Gems hosed it up with their horrible Kindergarden bullshit? Since it ruined the environment around it seemingly beyond repair (its been thousands of years and it's still all janked up) it's possible the same process happened on Homeworld by the Gems not uh, "breeding" responsibly. That's why they need to colonise other planets no matter the cost in native life.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

There's a few possibilities for Gem gossip. Amethyst could be could be filling Steven in on some gem backstory, like how Ruby and Sapphire ended up together, what Pearls deal is or something with Rose. Or they could be gossiping about how totally into Rose Pearl is. Or about how Peridots, like, super totally obviously crushing on Steven. Or what a complete bitch Centipeedle used to be.

But given the name and the fact that seemingly benign synopses turn out to be the most brutal episodes, I wouldn't bank on some breather filler.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure Pearl knew a gem was powering the mirror. She's says "how could I have known the gem contained in that mirror would be so powerful," not "how could I have known it was a gem."

Using gems to power things seems like a depressingly common thing imo.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

My guess is that they figured Lapis was too damaged by the cracked gem to still be alive and/or capable of thought. The mirror was only supposed to follow orders, not be capable of thinking.

That Lapis is some kind of living god who walks off a crack that turned Amethyst into a pile of goo is probably... unusual.

Alternatively, this is alien morality we're dealing with. Using gems like this could be considered no big deal.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

Someone on Reddit summed up what's in the new book. Interesting world-building, including a bit on types of Gems which could be important soon-ish https://www.reddit.com/r/stevenuniverse/comments/3nsauh/all_of_the_new_information_from_guide_to_the/

also some stuff on Gem anatomy (tldr: shapeshifting!!), fusions, kindergarten, etc.

"Amethyst can almost hold her own against Garnet."

Yeah, bullshit. Garnet kicked Amethyst and Pearls asses at the same time in Secret Team. With her hands behind her back.

Also the idea that identical gems would usually fuse is intriguing. Echoing the confusion on what that would lead to. A slightly taller Pearl? Giant 4 armed Pearl? Hmm.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm guessing you'd end up with some kind of Super-Pearl, like ranking up your gems in Diablo :v:

But yeah, not sure if larger, 4-armed, or just the same but extra fancy.

Fingers crossed that Super Amethyst is gold, glowing with energy and can fly.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

"Puny clod" is pretty amazing.

I'm super proud of Pearl for obvious reasons for this ep, but I'm also super proud of Peridot. She was a total asshat, but it makes perfect sense since she lives in Homeworld society that treats Pearls like this and is seemingly very class-based. Take some rich guy from 500 years ago and try telling him women/blacks/poors etc are equal to him despite his whole society teaching him differently and you'd get some similar pushback. Nonetheless she got passed that remarkably well, showing that she can learn to be a better person easily when shown the way. This was a fantastic start to what's shaping up to be the Peridot redemption arc, while doubling as an incredible Pearl story showing off exactly why she's so awesome.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ok, lesson learned, guard my heart in a prison of ice got it.

Anyone seen the promo for next week? Looks like Peridot is opening up and lightening up more. Also she's wearing a kiddy leash or something. And they might be back at the Kindergarten. That is something that is good to happen.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 9, 2015

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I do find it interesting that Peridot doesn't even know what a wheel is. I find it unlikely that Gems just skipped the wheel altogether (unless the theories about them being a manufactured race dropped down by precursors are correct), so it implies that Gem technology/magic has made such a huge advance that they simply don't need wheels to function.

When you're as strong and fast as gems are, maybe don't need much in the way of transportation. Just pick all your stuff up and run wherever you need to go.

Guess about next week: They're probably in the Kindergarten to scavenge drills. And maybe Peridot spills something about the process that touches a nerve with Amethyst.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Too Far spoilers: Interesting that none of the other Crystal Gems had apparently mentioned to Amethyst that she was defective. They had to know, right? That's a big thing to keep hidden from someone. Guess Rose really did like her secrets.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TheModernAmerican posted:

That is a major component to her character and it's pretty amazing you missed the point of a whole episode.

Rewatch On the Run, she's more than aware of her 'defect'.

Uh, no. In On the Run she's angsting about being from the Kindergarten at all, not any kind of defect.

If she were aware of her "defect" she wouldn't have been so shocked when Peridot mentioned it or had to have questioned her about how she's apparently defective.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Not know the exact manner of her defects does not preclude her from knowing she has them.

I actually did check the episode and there's no mention or hint of a defect. Amethyst was upset because she thought Pearl and co thought she was an embarrassing mistake and that she was a horrible parasite they were ashamed of just like she was about herself. The mistake however was the Kindergarten itself, not Amethyst. THAT was the point of the episode, that Amethyst had nothing to be ashamed about because none of it reflected her at all.

If the conflict were about Amethyst actually being some sort of physical mistake, that would drastically weaken the episode.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 12, 2015

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I like the idea that Peridots weapon is a big drill, but it should totally be a drill-hat. Perfectly shaped to fit her hair.

Also she's too small and weak to actually support it's weight so she just gets people to throw her at monsters, head first. Takes all the credit.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

Good example is that post a while back about someone being really "proud" of Pearl. Aside from being a little too intense a response to an 11-minute cartoon, it also grants Pearl agency she doesn't deserve. We're proud of people when we're pleased that they do the right thing or succeed at something - implicit is the possibility that they could do the wrong thing or fail. Pearl cannot do the wrong thing because she is a fictional character in a story; it only makes sense to be proud of Pearl if you believe she is real on some level, even if factually you know she's made-up. More specifically, to be proud of Pearl you have to forget that somebody wrote her into existing and wrote her into doing something good. You're cutting Rebecca Sugar et al out of the work (along with any kind of deeper message or meaning) so you can feel emotions about art.

As the person who made that stupid statement (which, by the way, is just a loving expression holy poo poo, i wasn't that goddamn excited. Being happy over a characters development is perfectly natural) I'd argue you're wrong and missing the point. Of fictional entertainment in general. Good storytelling is all about tricking the consumer into getting invested in and emotionally caught up in the tale being told, despite the inherent artifice of what they're watching. Going by your idea, why should we have been happy when say, Garnet re-fused and beats Jasper in Jail Break? She isn't a real person, and there was never a possibility that she wasn't going to triumph. There stakes are literally zero because she doesn't exist. Yet the audience is made to feel happiness when it occurs precisely because the strength of the storytelling is so engrossing that they forget all about that stuff. The emotional stakes of the scene are high because you have become invested in the show enough for it to produce that entirely real reaction in you.

So yeah, being "proud" of a fictional character is forgetting that she's a bunch of lines drawn to act out that way. Which is exactly what most good pieces of media are aiming to achieve. It's a drat sight better compliment to a creator's work than some dry essay and going by how laser-focused this show is on inflicting powerful emotions on it's audience, it's one I'm sure Rebecca Sugar would be happy to receive.

Also nah, you can easily grasp deeper meaning and messages while still being emotionally affected by a work. Often something is so evocative precisely because of those deeper meanings.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Amethyst really isn't a child. She's very much a late-teens, early twenties kinda gal. She clearly used to be considerably less mature but Roses death serioused her the gently caress up just like it did the rest of the gems. But even before that she was running around with Vidalia.

Anyway, I said it last week with the spoilers but I think it's pretty telling that no-one had mentioned to Amethyst that she was meant to be twice as tall before Peridot. Rose at least had to know and I can't see why Garnet and Pearl wouldn't also know what an average Amethyst is supposed to look like. Given what she used to be like I guess she'd have took it very very badly and it's a testament to her character development that she took it as well as she did in this episode.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, they all like Amethyst, why would they want to mess with her head by just dropping that bombshell for no reason? "Hi I know we just met and we do really like you but just so you know, you are kind of deformed". It'd be like... I can't think of a good analogy, but telling her with the assumption that Homeworld is not a threat for the foreseeable future would be lowering someone's self-worth for literally no good reason.

I dunno, I think she has a right to know. Telling your kid they're adopted can be a heavy blow but you should tell them when they're ready to know. It's been 5000 years, thats a hell of a long time to keep something from someone.

Not saying they're a bunch of assholes, just that it's more evidence that Gems kind of suck at social and interpersonal stuff.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Well that Loreweaver liveblog that's been mentioned a few times is proving that this fandom can be just as bad as the others. I'd thought that people had stopped hating Pearl after Sardonyx but guess not.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why do you care about some dumb blog?

Well it sucks that someones enjoyment of the show is being harmed because of lovely people. But I'd figured people had moved on from this poo poo.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh no my friend, people are still absolutely livid at Pearl. I have not seen the worst of it but I did see enough blogs complaining about it that it makes it hard to believe that it's all an overreaction.

I can't completely blame them, since Pearl starts off as a not completely loveable characters and only becomes more divisive as time goes on, but this level of vitriol is hardly justifiable.

Huh. Well that sucks, but I guess you're always gonna have douches, even for a show that's all about tolerance and forgiveness.

I bet they all love the Homeworld Gems too even though they've been way more malicious than Pearl has.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 24, 2015

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure it is just going to progress to Garnet and I don't think it would need to involve Peridot fusing. She'd just need to be explained what Garnets situation really is and come to the point of accepting it. Which would be difficult because Garnet doesn't really open up to people that quickly and Peridot is wierded out by her. Luckily they have a mutual friend.

"Steven..... explain to me what this "Love" thing is."

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I just don't see the point in bringing in this "fandom" thing. I mean, it's hilarious when they bully a fan artist into a suicide attempt, but this isn't really the thread about "fandom".

*Grips shoulders* BotL..... you are the fandom.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

poo poo, I accidentally read some pretty major spoilers.

Now Dogcopter 4 is totally ruined for me. :qq:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

http://stevencrewniverse.tumblr.com/post/136695592202/ianjq-the-answer-earliest-concepts-we-were This just got posted up on the crewniverse Tumblr. It looks like they were just concepts from the writer's room, but interesting to see some ideas that could have come out of it (like every Pearl having a forehead gem)

Holy poo poo, 3 yellow, blue and white gems with their color-coded Pearls. It's only a rough draft but Diamond Authority confirmed?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Scrree posted:

I liked how pissed off Steven was at Peridot betraying the Gems.

Lookat the little guy, he's been less angry at people who are actively trying to kill him!

Agreed. I really like this shot:

He's so pissed he looks downright inhuman.

I love that this episode kind of called out the CG's on their judgmental, hostile behavior. Peridot's the real hero here and the gems "judge, react, don't ask questions later" behavior that they've shown again and again is the issue. Hell, she's even the one whose taken Stevens position from Marble Madness of trying to talk it through reasonably and peacefully with a giant floating head, while for once Steven fucks up and gets hostile (though granted Peri was being a derp and not communicating her position at all).

Though, like usual I doubt the gems will actually recognize that their behavior was at fault.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 8, 2016

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SpacePig posted:

While the Gems are usually incredibly reactionary, you can't really blame Steven for thinking that Peridot was doing something at least vaguely sinister since she was being so cagey about it. Peri not making it clear that she was going to try to convince YD to stop the Cluster is a pretty big part of his reaction at every step.

Yeah, she was acting pretty drat nuts. I can get why she was being so cagey about it though. The gems would likely immediately shut down her idea and probably smash the crystal no matter what. It's their go-to solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lapis has been trapped in that mirror for who-knows-how-long. They found the mirror near the Galaxy warp, presumably left behind/forgotten when everyone evacuated, plus none of the gems seemed to be aware that she was even sentient--which I found odd--which suggests she's been there for a long, long time. IF YD is in full control, Lapis might have had no idea, and it might've been part of her "everything's so different!" shock

edit: speaking of, I saw a post somewhere that made a pretty good argument that Pearl was the only one who was ignorant of Lapis' true nature in the mirror. It breaks down the facial expressions and reactions from Garnet & Amethyst and shows how, for all we know, Garnet and Amethyst might actually have known exactly what was up with the mirror/Lapis--which, if true, has all sorts of interesting implications.

chitoryu12 posted:

At the same time, I'd expect Lapis being so shocked because of cultural changes more than suddenly discovering that Yellow Diamond is the only ruler left.

By the way, here's the full Mirror Gem episode. Skip to about 5:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0K48gtbTdA

I know the Tumblr post you're talking about, and it uses the faces at 5:40. 5:05 is actually where the Gems first discover that the mirror is sentient. Pearl is completely shocked, but Garnet and Amethyst have a look that's closer to "Ohhhhh poo poo", like they know exactly what just got discovered and basically got caught doing something bad.

I don't think they knew about Lapis personally ("did you even wonder who I used to be?!"), but I do think that using gems to power stuff is something the gems know about and they were fine with using the mirror despite knowing that it was powered by a gem. It's probably something that just happens in gem culture despite how loving gross it is to human sensibilities.

The gems acting shocked and horrified is most likely because Lapis wasn't supposed to still be capable of thought. Pearl is shocked because that shouldn't be possible and Amethyst + Garnet are horrified because that's hosed up and they're scared of contact with other gems. I don't think it's anything more than that, personally. It doesn't need a big conspiracy around it. Just them knowing she was in the mirror, which Lapis directly states is the case and is apparent in the episode imo, and were shocked and horrified at Steven's discovery.

Also if Steven had handed over the mirror to Garnet, odds are the CG's would have just bubbled her and tried really hard to not think about it ever again. They'd rather avoid the past than confront it. Even if it meant doing something severely wrong in the process.

• Locked thread