Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

pksage posted:

Strong, strong +1 for showing "Laser Light Cannon" before "Gem Glow", and then going in order. If you're not hooked by the fantastic Sailor Moon-esque wonder at the end of "Laser Light Cannon", there's no hope for you. "Gem Glow", on the other hand, is mostly just Steven being annoying.
A couple pages back, but I definitely agree with this (I think I might've posted before about this). Laser Light Cannon introduces a lot of the main characters and the general "feel" of the show really well, and it doesn't have "annoying Steven" that some of the early episodes have; it's one of the things that sold me on the show and got me to keep watching until Connie showed up.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

My mailbox got sidewinder'd by a car, leaving it bent dramatically out of shape. My landlady kicked it, causing it to fall all the way over and pop out of the ground. She says to me, "I thought... violence would be the answer." She's 85.
This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Flying-PCP posted:

If TV Guide is to be trusted, it's narrowed down to the 17th or the 24th at this point. Something more official might be announced once September starts, since the networks release scheduling information at the beginning of the month
Wait I thought it was the 10th.

Goddammit.:mad:

WrathOfBlade posted:

Ian J posted this alternate Kirby's Adventure style concept art for the show's title cards a while ago. Would've been pretty cool.

Ian/Rebecca also mentioned in their notes to the Attack the Light team that the show's aesthetic is heavily influenced by Yoshi's Island on the SNES.
This is cool.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Quinton posted:

I've heard that the show is slightly edited/censored in various markets... hmm, SU wikia has some examples:
http://steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Steven_Universe_Censorship_in_Foreign_Countries

no mention of edits in Japan...
It's so weird seeing a list like that from the other side, I'm so used to seeing a list of stuff that was cut/edited for an American broadcast of a show rather than the other way around.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Quinton posted:

Well, I think Dr Maheswaran still has some misgivings...

I'm just glad it didn't keep dragging out indefinitely. We were overdue for some progress to be made here.
It reminded me a bit of "Full Disclosure" and how the show dodged the expected "drag the misery out for five or six episodes" and went with a quicker resolution instead. On the one hand yeah it was kinda quick, but on the other hand I kinda hate dragging poo poo out like that, and it also means we get more :black101: Connie, and quicker too.

As such, I find the quicker resolution acceptable, more :black101: Connie is objectively good. I expects gifs from you people magic gif wizards from this episode of Connie being awesome.

Gruckles posted:

I'm excited for the approaching Android Saga.

:eyepop:
Yep, that is the DBZiest reference ever. Awesome.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 11, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Gruckles posted:

I really admire Dr. Maheswaran's composure in the face of 30 foot tall mothers and Frankenstein monster patients.

But not in the face of a giant sword, apparently.:v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

OldTennisCourt posted:

What are people's thoughts on the whole 'Rose was actually Pink Diamond' theory that fans are tossing around? I feel like it's riding on a lot of assumptions,. We've seen that 4 diamond marker in the sky arena that shows a white, blue, yellow and pink diamond and we know Yellow diamond is a think, but that's really all the evidence of there being multiple diamonds at this point.

I'm kinda of two minds on it. On one hand I feel like it sort of devalues Steven a tad and sort of just turns him into a cliche ~Long lost Royalty~ thing, but on the other hand I kinda dig the idea that of a multiple Diamond ruling class thing.

I'd like to think the creators would be able to work around any sort of cliches, as they have already so it's entirely possible that we may see a multiple diamonds thing, but Rose is just that, Rose Quartz.

Also who should voice YD?
Of the various fan theories thrown around it kinda rings right to me, because there's simple and easy to follow logic to it:

The old arena, prior to the rebellion, with four colors.

The modern gem ship with three colors, and pink being the color that's conspicuously missing.

There's no huge leaps of logic needed, just a little logic of "Rose rebelled, so she/her color was removed following the rebellion". The theory had been around prior to "Sworn to the Sword", but it didn't really click as "right" for me until I saw the 4 colors behind the warp pad. Now Rose specifically being "Pink Diamond" and/or what that means is still up in the air for me, but the basic idea that the pink in the first image is related to Rose is definitely sound to me.

As to who should voice Yellow Diamond: Linda Young (aka pre-DBZ Kai Frieza). She did a great job of making Frieza creepy as all hell, the only problem is that Frieza was... a guy. Not a problem with Yellow Diamond.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

vivisecting posted:

Maybe she is just "Rose Quartz" ...the theory that she used to be called diamond only stems from the fact that a) Yellow Diamond exists and b) the pre-rebellion symbols are diamond-shaped, right? Well, now they're triangle-shaped:

So maybe it was something like the four leaders were called Rose Quartz, Yellow Diamond, and Aquamarine & White Spinel or whatever.
"Pink Diamond" come from the confirmed name of "Yellow Diamond" and from Ronaldo talking about the "Diamond Authority". Ronaldo is... Ronaldo, so yeah Rose Quartz, Yellow Diamond, and Aquamarine & White Spinel is probably a better take/guess of what the actual names are.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Googled it. You mean this?

goddamn
I love the "I'm here for scale!". I don't know why I find it so amusing, but I do.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
For the second picture, the artist explained the vial around her neck:

quote:

Honestly cannot get enough Connie looking badass. (With a little vial of Steven’s spit in case she gets injured…)
That's actually a really smart idea.

Also that Rose tattoo is amazing and awesome.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TriffTshngo posted:

Kinda reminded me of a post-Tiger Millionaire, pre-Lapis season 1 episode.
Thank you for putting my vague feelings about the episode into words. The episode was okay/good, but it's one of those episodes I won't be in a super big hurry to re-watch.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, well, well, looks like that "Steven wearing a dress" fanart is canon now :sparkles:
This was one of my first thoughts actually.

Someone find and re-post that "Steven in a dress, Connie in a suit with a sword" fanart please, now that's canon and all.:v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

T-man posted:

Judging by the fact that "pebble" is a homeworld insult, I think it's pretty much nerdy-internet-sperg confirmed that gems grow up like kids and the Peridot is like 10 in gem years.

kefkafloyd posted:

I think you'd have better luck putting foot out for her instead :v:

I loved every second of this episode. Peridot is like a tiny ineffectual angry frog. Whoever called it that she was actually short based on proportions wins another prize. Jesus christ, people are good at figuring this poo poo out.
The first thing I thought when I saw Peridot get poofed was "holy poo poo that fanart showing her with fake arms and feet got it completely correct". Congrats to whoever drew that, and any chance the thread can dig it up again?

I can't wait to see Connie's reaction to learning Peridot is living in Steven's bathroom, it's guaranteed to be great.:haw:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 25, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

XboxPants posted:

She looks like she's wearing footie pajamas. :kimchi: :3:

And, for those who asked, here's the pic from a few weeks ago someone posted:

Hmm, I was thinking of a different pic:

http://willshackattack.deviantart.com/art/Steven-Universe-Peridot-s-Armor-Theory-548965833

But either way, congratulations to WillShackAttack and everyone else who figured it out beforehand.

I may have to start taking certain predictions slightly more seriously, seems like the fanartists are good at this stuff.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 25, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Have two galleries full of super cool hi-res backgrounds:

http://imgur.com/gallery/EdFsC
http://imgur.com/gallery/mSoGv
I'm amazed at both the simplicity and level of detail in this show, a lot of those backgrounds really are stunning.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
An amusing fanart/theory:

quote:

based off a chat from talking with pyritepandy, corpseauthority and purranha after seeing peridot’s true height after. well:

http://wendowl.tumblr.com/post/129815040724/based-off-a-chat-from-talking-with

(I don't agree with it, but it was funny so I posted it anyway.)

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 29, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
An impossibly cute comic:
https://imgur.com/a/ZiDsM

http://that-one-steven-blog.tumblr.com/post/130216790146

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So looks like that fanart picture of the cluster was right on the idea, but off by a couple orders of magnitude.

The real one's gonna make Sugilite look like a microbe in comparison.:stare:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

chitoryu12 posted:

It really seems like the "young Gem" theory was correct. She doesn't understand even the concept of rain (Homeworld is probably totally arid or lacks an atmosphere, which is fine for Gems that don't need to breathe and may not even feel temperature) and was surprised by contact with water.
She/they/Gems feels temperature at least, because last week in the shower Peridot yelled out "Hot! Hot! Hot!" and Steven had to tell her "You have to turn the knob the other way for cold."

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I just realized that everyone on steven universe have 5 fingers and how rare that is for american cartoons in general.
It seems like 5 fingers is becoming more of the norm than it used to be.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It wasn't 1 to 1 but did anyone else think the robots felt like the robots from the nanozim episode of zim? One short boxy robot vs a lanky nimble robot? Like on one hand that is generic enough it doesn't have to be a reference to anything but at the same time peridot is just so inherently invader zim references.
Definitely a Zim vibe there.

Also when all else fails, PUNCH!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
And man, as soon as Peridot talked about multiple servant Pearls I was like "welp that's 2 other fan theories completely confirmed".

loving racist Peridot though, we're gonna have to fix that.:colbert:

Also note the pinkish square (you might even call it a "pink" "diamond":v:) on Pearl's chest just like the last time she was in that suit.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Whitenoise Poster posted:

So anyway when's the 30 minute special where it's literally just Pearl and Peridot reading to us a textbook that explains in great detail everything about gem society.

Maybe a little power point slideshow thing to keep thing interesting.
You seem to be implying that they would need a powerpoint to keep it interesting, when I would happily watch the poo poo out of this as is.:colbert:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
"I thought violence would be the answer."

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Moltrey posted:

A while ago there was a Garnet AMV set to DMX's X Gon Give It To Ya and now I want that for Pearl but it's just looping Pearl punching Peridot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrz9LCw-XfE
Hope this is close enough.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I should note that there's something rather special about this fanart:
http://egomatter.tumblr.com/post/75609318939/instructions-werent-clear-enough

a box on the fanart's tumblr posted:

amber rogers!
storyboard revisionist on Steven Universe
It was drawn by one the people who officially works on Steven Universe.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I tried to resist the leak, but I am terrible about avoiding spoilers so I broke down and watched the episode.

It was a good episode.

Renaissance Robot posted:

If a choir sounds like people shout-chanting at the top of their lungs, sure.

For real though regardless of whether it's good or not, "choir" isn't the descriptor I'd use so much as "stadium full of football supporters".
In that case it's the most in-tune "stadium full of football supporters" that I've ever heard then.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Besesoth posted:

Oh shoot, I forgot the source. Here it is. Yes, it's by Sugar, and yes, it's a con drawing.
So if it's drawn by the creator of the show, does that make it canon?:v:

WarpedNaba posted:

They gay. They so gay.
Sadder and gayer. Always.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
A hilarious fanart, and something that may need to be addressed:

quote:

It occurred to me earlier today that Peridot probably doesn’t know that Lapis and Jasper are fused because she hasn’t asked anyone on screen yet about what happened to them after the crash

I wonder how she’ll react when she finds out

http://timehuntress.tumblr.com/post/131074900409/it-occurred-to-me-earlier-today-that-peridot

Demon Kaizoku posted:

Image promotion for the next episode from Lauren Zuke's tumblr.

Now that's just clever. :3: Especially for those who saw it early like me.
Very amusing.:v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

rockopete posted:

My copy of Guide to the Crystal Gems finally arrived. Nothing explosive, as people have said, but it's a great little book with interesting tidbits. In tune with the show, most of those have to do with the personalities and relationships of the characters rather than straight lore, though there is a little casual world building slipped in.

random pages I liked (assuming it's ok to post these, I can take them down if not)

I was going to say "post all the pages", but then I had a better idea.

Since a hiatus is coming up (presumably), maybe post a few pages per day in the thread (starting this weekend after the new episode discussion has wound down), so that we have more than just fanart (and BravestOfTheLamps) to talk about during "Hiatus 2: why would you do this to us CN?"

Revised, see below.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 15, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Fair point everyone, I'll revise that to "post a couple of the most interesting pages this weekend".

Gotta support the merchandise after all.

Now make more Steven Universe stuff for me to buy CN!:argh:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 15, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
And now that the episode has aired, this hilarity can be pointed out spoiler-free:

Fast-forward three episodes:

Looks like it was a good idea after all.:haw:

Props to the writers for putting in a good delayed joke like that.:golfclap:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 16, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Caught up with the thread, and this week was awesome, I've missed this show.

So much world-building and info on the gems,

Greatest moment (and there were a lot of them) has gotta be Peridot calling Yellow Diamond a clod to her face.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Oh, and because I am a giant nerd about maps/alternate history/world-building:

Test Pattern posted:

Yeah, it looks like the structure in the middle of the Russian sea is right where Wiki says the Tunguska impact site is.

jassa posted:

Man, Western Australia (where I live) is all sorts of hosed up.

Funky Valentine posted:

The entire Japanese archipelago seems to have fused, with Hokkaido also fusing with Sakhalin which has fused with far east Russia.

Pakled posted:

They missed the Yellow Sea becoming the Yellow Peninsula. Also most of those islands in the West Indian Ocean do exist.

The Sin of Onan posted:

So long as we're talking about things they missed, the Bosporus Strait looks like it's closed off, which seems like a small thing but would have played havoc with much of recorded history.

Roger Explosion posted:

Also worth noting:
- Kyushu, Japan is basically just Miyazaki
- Most of China is a peninsula
- I am pretty sure Vietnam doesn't exist.
- On that note, where THE HELL is most of south-east Asia
- On that note, Sumatra is connected to Thailand and Myanmar
- The Black Sea is tiny, The Caspian sea is split in two, The Aral Sea doesn't even exist
- On that note, what the hell is going on with Turkey, Greece and Italy
- Alaska has been neutered
- A good chunk of Greenland and Canada are nowhere to be seen
- The Red Sea is a sliver of its former self

Something hosed up the world well and good.

Amusingly, the Middle East outside of Turkey and the Bosphorus looks largely the same.

Mayor Dewey, in Shirt Club posted:

Mayor Dewey: Alright, kids. I mean... "peace in the Middle-East, Holmes"
And apparently it's similar in more than just physical appearance. Some things never change.

I like that big changes like "South America has West Africa attached to it" and "Florida is an island" have stayed consistent. Even though the show's not going to go deep into history, things like that really help the feeling of the differences between our world and Steven's.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Quinton posted:

I believe Matt Burnett hinted that the pigments in the ink on the scroll could have been tiny shards (ewwww).

The Beetles are Gem Monsters (you can see their gems on their backs).

Of course because the show is Steven-POV and Steven was just starting to learn about things, I can totally imaging revisiting earlier episode locales or critters and seeing them differently from the vantage point of Steven's new perspective on things.
On twitter Burnett linked to Joe Johnston's answer, and it's more than hinting:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150907095736/http://joethejohnston.tumblr.com/post/124934472083/hi-sorry-this-has-been-bugging-me-for-a-while

quote:

lvlystery asked: Hi! Sorry, this has been bugging me for a while ever since the gem monsters were confirmed to be corrupt gems. What exactly is the Evil Spirit? It didn't drop a gem at all, and where did the scroll come from?

You’re talking about the breakfast/smoke monster from ‘Together Breakfast.’ Well, to make pigments you use certain minerals to achieve different colors. Those different pigments get use in inks and paints… see where I’m going with this…
That's basically stating it was made with ground-up gems, which is darker than I expected the answer to be (admittedly it's not said in the show itself).

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 11, 2016

• Locked thread