Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I wrestled in high school, and during one practice, my coach was focusing on getting out of headlocks. I still really like the analogy he used, because it actually applies to dealing with most stressful situations.

"Be a cow, not a horse."

The reasoning is that if a horse gets his head caught in a fence, he'll buck and thrash and most likely kill himself in the process of escape. A cow, on the other hand, takes a minute to figure out what's going on and calmly works his way out of the predicament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
well actually op a cow probably won't do anything because it's the slow kind of retarded, as opposed to the horse

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Anyway, some epic advice I was told was "if you're going to do it, make sure you don't get caught."

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
"Don't take a poo poo while doing a handstand."

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"to defeat the cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies."

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
"Take a salt tablet."

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Von Humboldt posted:

"Take a salt tablet."

"Walk it off."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
"pain is weakness leaving your body"
"vomit is breakfast leaving your body"

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
make sure you're
pissing clear before the big game

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
then wed all line up and coach would walk up and down examining our pee streams

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
"If you're going to insist on wearing that hat during your performance you'd better be really fuckin' good at piano playing."

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

"Embrace the gay."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
When I was a pre-teen/teenager, I was very self-conscious about having stretchmarks on my arms and hips, and I was convinced that I was going to die alone because no guy would ever be able to look past my stretchmarks and see me as a lovable human being. My great-aunt said that if guys really cared about stretchmarks, she wouldn't hav five kids. That was the end of me ever worrying about my stretchmarks again. :unsmith:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Flattery always works on everyone at every time. Life has taught me that this is indeed very true.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Off the top of my head:

-Don't listen to politicians (especially at the state and national level). They're all liars in suits and will do and say anything to get elected and get your money. They don't care and you'll never meet them except in commercials or fake TV appearances.

-Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know.

-It takes money to make money.

-A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

-Buckle your safety belt in the car. You don't want to be killed do you?!

-Don't get in a car with a drunk driver.

-Don't talk to strangers in cars. They're pedophiles.

-Don't talk to people online. They're pedophiles.

-Don't argue with the police. You will lose 100% of the time.

-You can't fight city hall.

-Don't lend people money.

-Only invest $$ in companies you're sure won't go bankrupt. Diversify!

-Don't go in XYZ neighborhood. You'll be shot/mugged and/or killed!

-Don't hang around with loose women. Don't let them get fresh either.

-Don't hang around with stupid people. You'll get caught up in their stupidity and could be an accessory to a crime or worse.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
"Console Role Player, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly! If a stranger offers you a ride I say take it!"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
"Everyone, no matter their sexuality, likes boobs."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Thought of some more:

-When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
When life gives you lemonade, drink it.

-Always lock your doors. There are a lot of crazy people around here.

-Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

-All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players.
They have their exits and their entrances.

-It doesn't matter what you think but rather what you do.

-People think world peace is possible when people can't even get along with their own blood relatives, spouses and friends.
-People think you can make the world a better place by bombing and shooting it into submission.

-If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

-Don't bother with guns. Much more likely to shoot your eye out.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
-Don't marry the first girl you gently caress
-if it has tits or tires, it will give you problems

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
"Rich or poor, it's nice to have money."

"If the bare minimum wasn't acceptable, it wouldn't be the bare minimum."

"Wear a condom."

W424
Oct 21, 2010
"Don't smoke cigarettes, smoke weed" Source: Dad.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"I don't want to be your buddy, Rick. I just want some breakfast."

"Take some shooting lessons, rear end in a top hat."

Lemon
May 22, 2003

From my father:

"Don't marry an Irish woman."

My mother is Irish.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

"I only tried cocaine seven or eight times but it was too expensive."

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"The rush you feel from manly advice wisdom? It's all a lie"

Show Me A Chicken
May 6, 2007
I'll show you a geek.
From my mom:

"Don't ever marry for money! Don't marry for security, either. And don't get married just because you want to have kids. Love is great, but don't marry the person you love if they're not secure in life. You know what? Just don't get married."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"If you're getting a C in my class don't bother going to college." ~10 grade geometry teacher.

gently caress you dude.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
My uncle told me to always be punctual but never be in a rush as being in a hurry makes you do stupid poo poo like drive like an rear end in a top hat or trip up when running for a bus. I aim to be a few minutes early for everything and it works out well.

DashieSenpai
Dec 25, 2014
"Smoke weed if you want, I did it too"

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

"If I ever find out you're doing drugs I'll beat the gently caress out of you"

Thanks dad.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
"Wait until you're married to have sex. Then do whatever weird poo poo you want."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"wait till the teachers aren't looking and punch them as hard as you can. Preferably in the back."
-my religious mother

Advice I never got but works with everyone: in casual conversation if someone asks you a question they're really asking you to ask them that question.

That and everyone, especially stupid people, loves a simple compliment. Hair, shoes, style of driving, anything.

And finally, advice from both my parents, my partner's mother, a sibling, and pretty much everyone that has ever done it: don't loving ever loving have kids. It is never in any way worth it. Never.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
My dad never really was one to impart any sage advice, but I remember one good conversation we had years ago. He used to be a boxer back in his late teens/early 20's. His advice? "Don't be afraid to get hit."

I've kind of applied that to anything I am finding to be a challenge. Don't be afraid to get hit with anything bad, instead just accept that there will be times where you will be on the recieving end of some poo poo. I think I'm happier for it.

That same conversation, which we were having on the steps of my parents shop, he also gave me some other good advice when a local drunk stumbled up the street and stopped for a chat. He asked if I liked football, and I replied honestly that it didn't really interest me. Dad does like football, and engaged him before he stumbled off.

Afterwards, dad turned to me and delivered a useful lesson on people. I can't recall the exact words, but he said something along the lines of "Football is what drives that guy, so you just go with it. Always find what drives a person in their life, and you'll never have any problems talking with them, and keeping them onside again."

Good advice that has kept me in good stead and with an unbroken nose to this day.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
"You should take up drinking."
Thanks mom.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
When I was learning to drive my dad offered this advice. Dad said "The secret to driving smoothly and in control is to imagine your getting road head from a beautiful woman that doesn't have any arms or legs and if you drive reckless the only way she can keep from falling off the seat is to bite down."

Powerful advice there.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012
"Being fair isn't about treating everyone the same, it's about treating different people differently."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

alcharagia posted:

"Everyone, no matter their sexuality, likes boobs."

This is simply not true.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

"Relax, it will pinch less."

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
You don't have to like someone or even be nice to them, but you should always be civil. My dad told me that and it has saved a lot of people from verbal smack downs from myself. Many times I've gritted my teeth and repeated that in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
The lord loves a working man.
Don't trust whitey.

• Locked thread