Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Volcott posted:

The gun is on a spaceship, but yes.

Why does the warp nacelle break off before the impact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

because they hit the reset button they can do whatever the gently caress they want

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Powercrazy posted:

The deflector field was down and something something.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Powercrazy posted:

Proof that the explosion was actually a controlled demolition!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
In which episode does O'Brien suffer the most?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
rape gangs itt

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why did the cyborg fall in love or have to deal with some kind of new emotion every episode? Even ones that aren't about him in general have him on the sidelines somewhere trying to figure out what the gently caress guilt is or something.

Thomas the Tank Engine I can understand. It makes sense in it's own little context. "That train is smiling. People smile when they are happy and you'll spend the rest of your life assaulting your parents because you heard a high pitch bird call in the backyard."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Data had a cat.

Like many spergs.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

dMastri posted:

they had a rich history to draw upon and could have explored the roots of trek lore
i liked the episode where someone invented the transporter the universal translator the replicator the

whats everyone got against neelix
why all this hate against the ships ugly annoying useless alien creepy uncle

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 16, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

redshirt posted:

Data had a cat.

Like many spergs.

Also in the final episode he went full cat-lady, and had like 15 or so cats.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

dMastri posted:

It's been a long road
Getting from there to here
It's been a long time
But my time is finally near
And I can feel the change in the wind right now
Nothing's in my way
And they're not gonna hold me down no more
No, they're not gonna hold me down

'Cause I've got faith of the heart
I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe
I can do anything
I've got strength of the soul
And no one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star
I've got faith
I've got faith, faith of the heart

goatse.mp3

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The Borg would be Muslim instead of communist.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
TNG oscillated randomly between entertainingly awkward/corny/outright bad and good but the important thing is it was always entertaining

I think DS9 was probably the better show though

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know why the Borg are so bad

all they care about is the progress of science and technology

they're not hindered by emotion or religion

seems like a redditor's paradise

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't know why the Borg are so bad

all they care about is the progress of science and technology

they're not hindered by emotion or religion

seems like a redditor's paradise

They were ugly and had bad aesthetics. If they were a group consciousness that also looked cool they would probably be fine.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Volcott posted:

The gun is on a spaceship, but yes.

I still maintain that 1)"Year of Hell" should have been what Voyager was all about all along and 2)this would have been the perfect end to the series. Let the ship and its crew go out in a blaze of unrecognized awesome.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

I still maintain that 1)"Year of Hell" should have been what Voyager was all about all along and 2)this would have been the perfect end to the series. Let the ship and its crew go out in a blaze of unrecognized awesome.

What Voyager should have been about : Organically building a mini-Federation in the Delta Quadrant

What Enterprise should have been about : Mostly one off episodes with cool sci-fi stories and an ongoing backstory of Vulcan meddling.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

There would be a transgender species of humans that Riker has to seduce to get medical supplies to the LBGT planet

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

redshirt posted:

What Voyager should have been about : Organically building a mini-Federation in the Delta Quadrant

They did that in a last-season episode, the ship gets caught in a void with a bunch of other ships and no way to get supplies except stealing. Janeway starts up a mini-federation to share supplies and to protect the new and confused/defenseless ships from raiders. It was good and then forgotten by the credits.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I liked the Judge John Hodgeman episode where he revealed he wanted an episode of TNG that was nothing but optimal application of procedure in order to complete a mission quietly and with no major hitches, because I used to want that as a child as well. A boring, boring child. Who liked procedure.

You know what this space action drama about a ship that apparently has a constant dribble of soma gas being pumped through the vents could use? Less action.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

They did that in a last-season episode, the ship gets caught in a void with a bunch of other ships and no way to get supplies except stealing. Janeway starts up a mini-federation to share supplies and to protect the new and confused/defenseless ships from raiders. It was good and then forgotten by the credits.

Was that the coffee nebula?

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

That's the stuff. Got all the way to page 3 this time though

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCeCMFU1lwM

:captainpop::captainpop::captainpop:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Two different types of psychic on one ship because the 1990s.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
just checking in, i like to sometimes smoke a bowl and then doze off to TNG on my weekends, also Data is my pale goon boyfie. i hope that helps you OP

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

LeoMarr posted:

There would be a transgender species of humans that Riker has to seduce to get medical supplies to the LBGT planet

That's actually not too far off from an episode that actually was made.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There would be an episode where Worf's son is killed by a security guy who claims he tried to murder him for no reason, and Picard has to explain to Data why these things happen.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think DS9 was probably the better show though

When I see a DS9 return, I wait to see if Sisko has hair or not. If he's not bald, I change the channel.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
TNG is a pretty chill show

Let's discuss this in the 90s SciFi Conference Room before we make any snap decisions here guys

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Applewhite posted:

Proof that the explosion was actually a controlled demolition!

Dilithium can't melt warp nacelles

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

There would be an episode where Worf's son is killed by a security guy who claims he tried to murder him for no reason, and Picard has to explain to Data why these things happen.

lol

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If TNG were on TV now it'd been canceled at the end of the first lovely season.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Blazing Ownager posted:

If TNG were on TV now it'd been canceled at the end of the first lovely season.

excuse me but the naked now is one of the finest 45 minutes of television programming ever

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
People seem to forget that Star Trek TNG started off unwatchably bad and didn't really start getting good until around season 3. The two part Borg episode marked the point where it crossed over into greatness. I'd say it was at its apex with The Inner Light, which was the best episode of the show. These days with networks being so cancel happy, I doubt TNG would have survived past the first season. Also, some of the multipart episodes were great, so I don't see why long story arcs would be a bad thing. I love the two parter where Picard gets tortured by the Cardassians.

If they ever do another Star Trek show, it should probably be on AMC and not network. AMC would keep it around until it finds its footing. I'm still a bit pissed that Enterprise got cancelled right as it was getting good. It was building to an all out war with the Romulans that we never got to see.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 16, 2015

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
actually they did a new version of TNG and it was called Battlestar Galactica

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Meh. I liked the first two seasons of BSG. But then it had too much religious crap, and the writing got really bad.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

it was like reverse TNG

started good and then got worse in like the last two seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Meh. I liked the first two seasons of BSG. But then it had too much religious crap, and the writing got really bad.

It was infected with Lost Disease that was going around TV at the time: Always stack on more and more questions, never answer poo poo, who gives a drat if they contradict each other? My problem wasn't the religious crap it's the fact it was contradictory unexplained religious crap without any coherent rules.

If the last two seasons were spent answering questions it'd been one of the greatest TV shows. Instead it has the worst misfired piece of poo poo finale I've seen.

"Hey guys I've got a great idea let's chuck our whole civilization including all our medicine into the sun and live in caves shagging natives! Victory!"

ED: Also how the gently caress did they continue calling Cylons robots the entire series. Clearly the non-shiny guys were genetic clones or something, not loving robots. It's not just that they looked like people on the inside (I guess like Blade Runner) but the fact they constantly complained about human limitations and poo poo. Every time they called one of them a "toaster" my only question was "...why?"

Dick Fagballzson posted:

People seem to forget that Star Trek TNG started off unwatchably bad and didn't really start getting good until around season 3. The two part Borg episode marked the point where it crossed over into greatness. I'd say it was at its apex with The Inner Light, which was the best episode of the show. These days with networks being so cancel happy, I doubt TNG would have survived past the first season. Also, some of the multipart episodes were great, so I don't see why long story arcs would be a bad thing. I love the two parter where Picard gets tortured by the Cardassians.

If they ever do another Star Trek show, it should probably be on AMC and not network. AMC would keep it around until it finds its footing. I'm still a bit pissed that Enterprise got cancelled right as it was getting good. It was building to an all out war with the Romulans that we never got to see.

I actually think a tightly serialized Trek-like show could be interesting since plots could continue past the episode of the week stuff. The more serialization the better.

And season 1 of TNG only had one great episode:

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread