Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Let's see what Worf's kid is up to lately

drat lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

how does this one jive with the episode where it turns out all humanoid races have a common ancestor

like when in the course of human evolution were we fully evolved spider pigs

That episode doesn't even jive with itself because no two people turn into the same thing.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

nothing French about John Luck Pickerd

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Just rewatched Darmok and I think my favorite part is when the Enterprise crew finds that they cant understand a drat word these aliens are saying, so Picard tries his hand at communication which is just him speaking normal English but really loudly.

That's the OG universal translator

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I started watching TNG from the beginning recently and I forgot that literally the third episode is the one where the backwards, savage honor-obsessed race is just black people in African tribal garb :laffo:

:riker: "They're almost human!"

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Only humans get personal drink preferences because they're the only ones who get personalities beyond whatever their specified racial personality is.

Worf's prune juice addiction is like the one exception

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

That's either some space potato kung fu or the Irish reflex that triggers whenever a woman is talking

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

one thing i don't get about star trek is they're always talking to someone called 'computer'

what the heck is computer

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Sadly Klingon food is a health code violation all on its own

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I always had a soft spot for part 3. For whatever reason that was the only star trek I owned on tape and would watch it all the time. Them stealing it really was the best part, but it made 10 year old me wonder why they needed all those people on board when the main cast could run the whole ship. Also, why didn't they take Uhura?

They let all their calls go to the space answering machine

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

they assimilated too many redshirts and are doomed to suck

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

To be fair, O'brian could beam down to bajor every weekend just as easily. She's down there with the kids, they probably have a real house and everything. Gotta be better than a grey cardy space station.

Of course DS9 probably can't go a day without something breaking down and O'brien is the only one we ever see working, so it's possible he really can't leave for the weekend without the whole thing exploding. Hmm, I wonder why Keiko doesn't want to hang out on the dangerous scrapheap station?

O'Brien probably couldn't sleep for more than 15 minutes the whole time he was stationed on DS9 without ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS starting up

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Ralp posted:

what IS the difference between cajun and creole food anyway?

percent possum by volume

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

To this day I've never watched Voyager because I didn't have UPN back then and didn't know anyone who did. Living in the middle of nowhere pays off big sometimes.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The replicators are really good at corn

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yaos posted:

She is, but thankfully in Star Trek everything can be instantly cured unless it's a space virus then it takes a few more minutes.

Somebody more neckbeardy than me needs to do a Prime Directive violation count in TNG. In the first episode everybody was living in mud huts until they caught the magic alien. Another episode they decided they were bored and went to a planet for shore leave where everybody thought their god was literally in orbit around the planet because they didn't have space flight.

Don't forget about the two parter where Picard, and elderly ship captain, was suddenly the perfect person to send on a covert ops mission in Cardassian space so they dressed him up like a cartoon burglar. That wasn't a Prime Directive violation, it was stupid.

There was the one where Picard was worshipped as a god by hillbilly Vulcans

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I finished watching all of TOS and started the animated series from the 70s. To be honest it feels like the original series, just the episodes are 15 min shorter. I was pleasantly surprised. Also, it seems Chekov didn't make the cut when they brought the cast back to do the voices.

They just had Scotty do most of the voice work for random guys on that show, and they were going to have him do Sulu too

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Those roaming charges are a bitch outside the alpha quadrant

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

You can try tabbed browsing in LCARS but it will more than likely cause the console to explode and lodge itself in your skull

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Going from post-its to PADDs seems like a step backwards IMO.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

They showed The Empath on one of the local channels over the weekend and I guess that one was where Gene blew the whole budget for the week on hookers and blow because the whole thing takes place in a featureless black void and what few effects there are are :lol: even for TOS.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Counselor Troi piloted from the ship's wine cellar. It all makes sense now.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Mr. Horrible posted:

Harry is such a spectacular bumblefuck on every level that he makes Barclay look suave and Troi look competent. I have to imagine Janeway kept him around as an emergency food supply/human shield. It would explain why they kept dragging him along whenever there was a "senior officers" meeting despite his perpetual ensign status.

Somebody's gotta serve the coffee

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

It's just a Klingon verson of that poo poo Chekov always did where everything was actually Russian

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yaos posted:

Worst part about Star Trek is how everybody only played holodeck games that were direct ports from books that were in the public domain when the episode was made. I don't even understand how that is fun, just doing exactly as the book played out. There was even an episode that had somebody whining at Data because he wasn't playing the game "correctly", although people whining about other people not playing the game right is literally 99% of the online community today. What would happen if you met Moriarty in one of the Sherlock Holmes games, and instead of listening to him monologue or some poo poo you kicked him in the balls? Would the game freeze because that never happened in any of the books?

Warp core breach

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

They only added the safety protocols in the first place after Riker knocked up that hologram

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Except that they ran an entire universe for Moriarty (plus Moriarty himself) on one of these:

Would hate to jostle that thing

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Computer! reduce playback speed!
beep boop

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yaos posted:

They never explain how the economy in the Federation works. We know they don't use money, and there are still undesirable jobs, but that's all we know. Why would anybody ever take an undesirable job if they have no reason to do so? Why can't a robot or a laser unclog Worf's massive shits? How are resources allocated? What's stopping me from ordering 10,000 cubic kilometers of manure?

I'm pretty sure the economy is based on self sealing stembolts

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Mr. Horrible posted:

In Enterprise Trip tells a bunch of grade school kids that on the ship they recycle their poop. Nothing is wasted and everything is put to good use. Chakotay nods sagely.

Straight from Worf's toilet to Troi's chocolate sundae

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Over the weekend they showed that ep where possessed Troi breaks Worf's wrist and I figured that's where he originally got turned on by her because that's basically entry level Klingon flirtation.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

He's "fully functional"

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Raaaaaa-oooooo Vannnnn-tikaaaaaaaa

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

The cast of Captain Riker:

Captain: Riker*
1st Officer: Thomas Riker
Tactical Officer: Nog Son of Rom
Doctor: Registered Nurse Practitioner Tom Paris
Ops: Jr. Lt. Spot, fresh out of the Academy
Helmsman: Icheb*
Counselor: A disembodied Cytherian*
Engineering: The four genetically engineered super geniuses
Non federation crew member on secondment exchange: A Tamarian story-talker*
Transporter Operator: Former Admiral Nechayev, bumped down a billion ranks for reasons yet unknown.
Irritating Youth: Alexander Roshekno, still.
Bartender: Minuet
Barber: Breen Defector*
Voice of Computer: Nausicaan Male
Admiralty Contact: Rear Admiral Janeway

Ship Name: The Endurance

The Mission: Vigilant patrol of the Risian border, Inclusive of all all-inclusive areas of Risian interior as well.

* Denotes regular seat at ships's poker table.

Riker's ship would be one of those snoo-snoo statues with a couple nacelles slapped on there

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Dead Gay Romans posted:

even in the vastness of space, the popular lines of travel would be filled with frozen hunks of poo poo everywhere.

pull up in orbit around some beautiful, popular planet, look out the window...and nothing but frozen turds plinking off the ship.

Star Trek: Space is full of poo poo

Mining corn from asteroids is more cost effective than growing it in the 24th century

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The future sucks, the only entertainment is stuff that was in the public domain in 1989

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The rape gangs episode was on yesterday and Tasha was talking about how she was 5 years old running from the rape gangs and I pictured a whole planet of

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The main struggle of the 24th century is trying not to have your computer lodge bits of itself in your skull whenever it bluescreens

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

They're using the "Klingon Weeaboo" translator setting that leaves random words untranslated

All according to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Figaro posted:

Nah, I don't think the federation would believe being gay is a defect that needs to be cured by in vitro manipulation. What is this, the Eugenics Wars!

I like the answer the Roddenberry gave when a bunch of nerds were moaning that their captain was a bald man and why didn't Picard's parents delete the gene for pattern baldness or why didn't Jean Luc get Mr Mott to repolarise his hair follicles or why didn't he just wear a hat all the time so nobody could see the top of his head but everyone would really knows he's a bit thin on top but they're just too polite to voice it.

The official answer is that, by the 24th century, nobody cares.

except Kirk

• Locked thread