Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
she's very clearly stolen a uniform and accessed the bridge without proper clearance and must be punished

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheChaosPath posted:

So who's number one?

Geordi La Forge

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow posted:

Why can't these fossils sell them via 1080p stream or download? Every episode.

Ugh. Physical media is so 2005.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Universe Master posted:

It was great when Riker yelled at Ro and demanded she take off the sacred religious earring of her subjugated people who recently experienced years of occupation and genocide, but doesn't give a gently caress about Worf wearing his Little Miss Teen Klingon pageant sash all the time.

They let Ro wear the earring in the end though right?

Anyway Ro should chill out her white person problems don't matter anyway.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

they gave him lots of stuff to do in ds9. i just watched him have a shouting match with rumplestiltskin for example

yeah but DS9 is when the horror truly began for miles

I just watched an episode of DS9 where Miles is getting treated super loving weird by everyone after coming back from some trip and it turns into this crazy conspiracy against him. It turns out he is like a spy clone or whatever that thinks it is the real O'Brian and when the real O'Brian kills him at the end the fake O'Brian whispers 'Tell Keiko I love her...' as he dies and real Miles is standing there with a thousand yard stare.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 14, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

chaosbreather posted:

one thing i don't get about star trek is they're always talking to someone called 'computer'

what the heck is computer

god

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If I lived in the Trek universe I would hoard replicators and slowly but surely build a star ship with a computer core that ran all the tactical and maneuvering poo poo equipped with massive gently caress off armor and shield generators and phaser banks.

For battle I would strap myself down, hit the intertial stabilizers, and let the ship blink in and out of warp while firing phasers with pinpoint accuracy. Scripts would be running to automatically manage shields and automatically beam enemy crew into space and/or my brig if their shield fails even for a moment.

Any torpedos heading my direction would be transported away.

Also, self replicating wild weasels everywhere. By the time Wesley figures out wtf is happening he is breathing space, his ship a burning wreck behind him.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 14, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

doctorfrog posted:

You have to die, because I shot you with a bullet that split three ways, and it hit you in your head, your chest, and your crotch. Nuh-uh because I have bullet proof magnetic armor that attracts your bullets. Yeah well my bullets are made out of diamonds that go through bullet proof armor

and the flash beats both superman and batman because

All I'm thinking about is that sniper rifle on DS9 with a teleporter attachment that teleports bullets directly in front of you so it can kill you from anywhere.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

happyhippy posted:

Or how about "Why didn't you tell me about the Borg you gently caress Jean Luc? It wiped out my family and civilization and you didn't say a loving word of warning to save some of us. gently caress you Picard."

prime directive :shepface:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

They addressed that in the episode where Broccoli is afraid of them. Inside its a gradual transition that you're aware of the entire time.

allegedly

I'd want to see some stats on those things because Barclay seems kind of nuts but at the same time Geordi is just like 'bro don't worry this is THE SAFEST WAY TO TRAVEL' but I feel like Barclay is going 'dude I work on this ship you think I don't notice the transporter loving up constantly?'

then miles is back there with his thousand yard stare

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 15, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

holy poo poo i am loving sick of hearing about those goddamn nerdcandy books

well in that case let me tell you all about em

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I learned a cool and good lesson from Darmok about trying to understand what people are trying to tell you, instead of flipping my poo poo at what they are saying like a Tumblr asshat at the way they saying it.

I was eight, it was powerful lesson in compassion and understanding. Nobody besides goons watches Star Trek though, so no one understands when I tell them "Temba; his arms wide."

:sigh:

Kiteo, his eyes closed

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i wanna say that i am relatively new to start trek and star trek threads so i wasn't around to hate on o'brien but drat it was funny that he got picked to go on super dangerous rescue mission to cardassia 4 with kira. he's got a wife and kids and it was a secret mission lol. so season 2 startin out good plus it had the twin peaks guy as a guest.

I just watched an episode where he was going on vacation with his wife for the first time in years and on their way there a Cardassian ship intercepts them and basically arrests O'Brian in Federation territory on some trumped up charges and he's taken back to Cardassia Prime to stand trial. He did nothing wrong, it turns out it was some huge Cardassian trick to get the Federation to admit they hosed up or something idk but man does that show ever poo poo on O'Brian.

The very next episode I watched he was sitting at the bar and some Jem Hadar just shoves him to the ground for nothing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

opus111 posted:

no no no no don't open the floodgates, what are you doing, you're going to start the Miles O' Cuck 'jokes'

are we talking about O brian or what

why is he the only noncommissioned officer

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrumpyDoctor posted:

the problem is trying to figure out how the hell they learn their own language

alienChan obv

Tablets from a young age

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Sunshine posted:

My reaction to Enterprise was always, "why does a vulcan need breast implants"?

It is logical if you are working with shallow humans all the time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fetus Tree posted:

The real answer is probably unfortunately pretty sad. I guess Jolene Blalock had dealt with some pretty serious body image issues because of her stint as a model. She said somewhere that switching to acting at first was really hard because she didn't have to be like, retarded skinny to feel good about herself or something.

all I know is those scenes in the decontamination room were basically the only reason I kept watching that show

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Watching the voyager episode where they create the cardassian holo doctor and the all like "thaT will be impossible!" And Harry Kim is all like "I can do it! Computer: create hologram with the knowledge and personality of this guy" and it's done.

I'm amazed the Starfleet research teams don't have a division that just sits in a holodeck and comes up with clever phrasing to trick the computer into doing things beyond anyone's wildest imaginations.

Like bargaining with a genie but hundreds of years into the future. "Computer - create an opponent that can outwit Data defeat the Borg."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is it rape to holoscan people and then later gently caress their virtual selves

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sour Diesel posted:

there was a ds9 ep about this

Yeah that's what made me ask. It was kiiinda about that in the sense that Kira told Quark to gently caress right off but it scratched the surface and didn't go farther. Like, is it strictly illegal? Say it's not Kira and it's just some random person using a holosuite so Quark can scan you without being a creepo hiding with a camera about it. Then he uses that holoimage in a sex program.

Is that illegal? Rape? Super creepy yeah but is it even unethical? Presumably it's just your image; not your personality or even you in any sense of the word. Seems like if we ever have VR sex programs it's gonna be an issue we will have to tackle at some point.

I guess if there's no consent given to scan and save your holoimage then it becomes stealing or virtual sexual harassment or something.

oldpainless posted:

They can't not consent!

I have no arch and I must end program.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 26, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

Reminder that Geordi used a holoscan of a prominent female Starfleet engineer as his fantasy pseudo-girlfriend, and when the real engineer found out and took offense he told her that it was his way of reaching out to her.

We're supposed to take his side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2hN8kA0YSE

Yeah, she was like 99% positive he'd hosed her holo-self, too. Dunno if he actually did or not (lol) but she thought he did which is effectively the same thing in terms of her reaction and later her getting over it.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 26, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

You'd think the holodeck would have rules about replicating real people without their permission.

To tie this back in to the earlier holodeck conversation: instead of having the holodeck simulate the engine designer and then have her come up with ideas Geordi could presumably have just gone

"Computer download all files about [forgot her name]. Computer, come up with solution to this problem I'm having with the engine."

Oh right but he's got to collaborate with her right (fapfapfap).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pneub posted:

He's a nice guy and a virgin in his mid-thirtys, and he still didn't gently caress his virtual dream-girl. The guy's a saint (or a eunuch).

I bet you he did though

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just replicate the parts to make a bigger/better replicator until you can replicate a holosuite and the power source

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

273423-X posted:

but in the animated series they already had a "recreation room" that was basically the same as a holodeck. Also in Voyager Janeway says she played in holodecks as a kid.

idk basically the same isn't quite the same though.

I remember in TNG they made a big deal about how you could walk around and stuff and not hit the walls like in earlier versions. And you could have a bunch of people in there all traveling different directions and somehow it just keeps generating new terrain or whatever and no one hits any walls.

Anything Janeway says isn't to be trusted anyway.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Universe Master posted:

Curzon is the number one.

He died loving Vanessa Williams.

He was also in love with Jadzia, which must make for some weird memories whenever she looked in the mirror and thought about wanting to gently caress herself with her ghost penis.

Some very strange masturbation went on behind closed doors.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fetus Tree posted:

the planets became politically inconvenient AFTER they already made their homes there, btw

even still, gently caress 'em

unless they have some wonder of the galaxy planet (doubtful) there's no reason to want to stay on any particular dirt pile versus another other than pride or whatever

as a colonist obviously, not as someone whose species originated on said planet. I wouldn't expect Bajorans to just go 'eh well Bajor had a good run gently caress it though.'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
borgkin

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
she's a botanist who has to spend 6 months at a time on Bajor chilling with some dude and can't just beam home every weekend because reasons

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
3 hours is a nothing commute, I drove 1.5-2 hours from SD to LA then another 1.5 hours to Riverside every weekend (twice! once going home on Fri to SD and once going back to school for the week) during college and it wasn't that bad. If I had some company and traffic was chill it was even an enjoyable ride.

Angela Christine posted:

To be fair, O'brian could beam down to bajor every weekend just as easily. She's down there with the kids, they probably have a real house and everything. Gotta be better than a grey cardy space station.

I thought they were like camping out in the Bajoran jungles and poo poo?

Either way chief engineer on DS9 is probably something that requires you to be on call more than a botanist does.

Also shuttles are dumb anyway they should just have transport buoys that boost your signal so you can beam from Bajor to DS9 via a few transport buoys. If your signal degrades or is lost no worries they've still got your pattern and can just re-materialize you on Bajor and go 'sorry weather issues.'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 8, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yaos posted:

Starfleet is incompetent and I have no idea how the Federation managed to last so long.

Everyone else is incompetent, too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Klingon Sun Tzu says attack your enemies head on, in force, loudly announcing your coming.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
DS9 was great. Watching through all the treks with my gf and she says it's probably her favorite so far. We've only gone through TOS and TNG and most of DS9 though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Sunshine posted:

You should stop after DS9.

You won't, though. You'll start watching Voyager, and you'll keep waiting for it to get better, and it won't. But you'll plod your way through the entire series, and then you'll never watch it again. And eventually you'll show up online in a thread like this and tell everyone what a piece of crap Voyager was, but everyone will already know.

I've already seen Voyager and Enterprise. Why should she escape?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I seem to remember the last episode of Voyager ending with Riker turning off a hologram program and going 'that was some poo poo lol.' Am I tripping? I read the synopsis of the finale on the star trek wiki and it didn't mention that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
BSG is excellent for the first two seasons, the third is okay depending on your preferences, 4 is kind of just get through it to get to the end with a few good subplots here and there. Fuckin Felix man.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord of Pie posted:

Counselor Troi piloted from the ship's wine cellar. It all makes sense now.

She still looks good but that pic is fake.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 24, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You all laugh but if I could I'd jump into a holodeck filled with attractive ladies and never leave.

They'd send Lt. Broccoli to help me out and I'd babble existentialist bullshit to him until he gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Figaro posted:

the TNG lot should have reprogrammed all of Reg's pervy hololadies so that their skin while looking silky and smooth, actually felt like sandpaper and leaves you raw and bloody. Also when he leans in to kiss his darling holoTroi, they've altered her holo breath so it smells like she's just been sick. Then when he touch her boob, she shits herself.

To stop anyone else on the crew getting addicted to fantasies, they could appointed Data as "Holodeck Manager". He'd keep them PG13

this kind of Federation meddling and state censorship is why people like Quark are the true heroes

Quark doesn't judge the sick poo poo one might get up to in a holo suite. Want to slaughter a bunch of people in glorious battle? Enjoy some slave girls? As long as the latinum flows, it's all good.

• Locked thread