Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I really like the noise the Defiant's pulse phasers make

they kind of go pyurpyurpyurpyur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I kind of miss opening titles when they're done well. Nowadays everything's all *DRAMATIC NOISE* "Title Card: Created by Clitface McGee and Herf Derpahurr" for 5 seconds.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Naxuz posted:

"Let's stare at this space dock for ten minutes while the orchestra plays. REALLY NEAT, HUH?"

Yeah it is, the Enterprise is a character and she got the reintroduction she rightly deserved. TMP took it's pacing a bit far in places and yeah, it's something you gotta be in the mood for (It's a shame the Director's Cut was only ever rendered in SD, it tightens things up) but I prefer it and it's flaws to the modern style of having no pacing at all and the story being a lame excuse to get to the next CGI setpiece.

skasion posted:

TMP is a 10/10 blaze it flick though, because you can goggle at the lovely effects and soundtrack for what feels like hours and ignore how aimless the plot is, how flat the characters are, and how poorly the Shat fits into his new uniform which, however, is way better than that bright red shoulder strapped turtleneck poo poo the rest of the movies stuck them in. Even with the weird built in fanny pack.

Whoa whoa whoa did someone just poo poo on the TWoK uniforms? I've literally never seen or even heard of that happening before.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you were to own a screen accurate TMP uniform, you would literally need an assistant to pee and or poop out of it

There are bad and beige, although the admiral's variant was good enough to get a version of it remade for the new movies but I think they gave it a proper belt and fly

I really hate beige, for something for so much beige in it I seem to really like Star Trek a lot anyway somehow

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You know what'd be really great, you could eat a tone of future space doritos so you get constipated and then have the computer lock onto the fecal block with the transporter and beam it directly into the romulan commander's mouth just as your captain is in the middle of an impassioned speech to prevent a war

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

that feel when you gently caress up the transporter coordinates and accidentally beam the turd into his brain

he was a..poo'taq

Then a blind guy puts on his VISOR and mutters cooly "what a poo poo for brains" before walking out of the frame

YEAAAAAAA

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pneub posted:

I was fine with it, but what the hell were they talking about with that 'Original Klingon Shakespeare' line? Even when I was 8 years old that was weird as hell.

Basically they thought Shakespeare wrote such badass poo poo that he couldn't have been a human, although I think it's not meant literally, but more mockingly.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Don't play STO for the story, it references a lot of TNG-VOY era stuff but it's usually pretty boring. if you must play it at all you team up with the goons in the game to gently caress with the other players, who collectively make up the worst community I've ever seen for any game. In that sense, it can be hilarious but you can enjoy most of that just by reading the STO thread.

The game is currently dying due to retarded mismanagement anyway, regardless of it's actual fun factor.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

opus111 posted:

im glad this thread has circled back round to everyone talking about how much they hate star trek and going into great detail about the things they hate most, and also listing the htings they hate in order of hatred level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX8kKEh8DGU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit are you kids skipping the Star Trek with Iggy Pop in it

Goddamnit

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
At one point Odo becomes a cloud of vapor and kira gets a buzz off of him I think

e: wow wrong star trek thread

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 7, 2015

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

There is lots of bad DS9, particularly the episodes that revolve around Odo and his Oh-to-be-a-real-boy shtick leftover from old Data-centric TNG script notes. Then there is the cumulative burden of catering and kowtowing to the worthless Bajoran civilization, when the whole planet should have been used as ablative armor in the fight against the gamma quadrant. Shove the whole stupid planet through the worm hole and let the Jem"Hadar and every other mass cloned race deal with a dirt ball full of inefficient farmers and pa-worshippers.

Where are you at in the series right now? Are you pre or post Vic Fontaine?

Oh and Esri. Hope you like lovely poo poo poo poo because she is DS9's Seven. No, not Seven of Nine, but Seven from Married With Children.

Bajor is Ds9's weak link and it's surprising how strong the series is given that the Bajorans are one of the most irritating alien races in Star Trek

I mean I get what they were trying to do with them but they very rarely more than one note or particularly sympathetic. Hilariously there's an episode where an even more irritating alien race of refugees come through the wormhole, the Bajorans are predictably shits to them and it turns out the aliens are awesome farmers and could have turned Bajor into a garden but welp

It's clear the Federation only wanted them to join due to their position close to the Cardassian border and later the wormhole, otherwise Prime Directive that poo poo and move on. gently caress.

Ezri isn't too bad though. Whenever a show introduces a new character late in the game like that it feels off because you're ready to see them wrap things up rather than start new stories and arcs with people.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

EvilGenius posted:

It would be a perpetual search for your purpose in life, your 'thing' that your good at. Imagine aimlessly wandering from one hobby to the next, not quite being able to find any joy or meaning, all the while having no one else to blame but yourself.

It's your 20s for your whole life.

I'd rather toil as a low income wage slave perpetually in the dim hope that I might ascend to the upper class and become a millionaire that lives frivolously on the backs of others, myself

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
All of the greedy garbage assholes and probably religious humans too blew each other up in WW3, and I guess a few stragglers who left Earth early and eventually founded failed rape colonies or boring stupid clone worlds.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

Slackers and party animals aren't a problem. As a federation citizen you are entitled to housing, food, clothing etc., but you aren't entitled to housing in any particular neighborhood. Real estate is not infinite. People who contribute nothing to society have low priority for housing in the most in demand areas.

Instead they could have slacker cities. Hedonist cities. Just as safe, clean and nice as the important cities. Just as much green space and automated amenities. The only difference is that no one who lives there does anything important. As long as your behavior isn't a health and safety hazard it is allowed, and you are housed with like minded people. Assholes who want to play their music at maximum volume and leave all the doors and windows in their apartment open so the neighbors have to hear it to are free to do so, but they get moved to an apartment block full of nothing but noisy assholes. Want to toke up all day every day? Welcome to Stoner Island. They won't become ghettos, because the construction and maintenance is just as good as every other city on earth. It's not even punishment, because most slackers and party animals would prefer to live among their own kind than constantly deal with the judgement and scorn of successful people.

Stoner Island never gets a TV show, because that's not the part of the future Roddenberry wanted to showcase.

I figure that all that behaviour basically melts away or would get whittled down to a handful of small communities by the 24th century since spending all day smoking weed/playing games or whatever feels like more of an achievable coping mechanism for people trapped in the depressing daily grind of modern life, most people have a compelling psychological need to feel useful or do something with their time once outside forces stop sapping all their energy

I mean there's no reason you can't get some old starfleet surplus Oberth class, fix it up with built in vapes or something and gently caress off on your own space weed adventures like 7 of 9's parents, right?

On the bad side of that you end up with idiot bitch assholes like the Maquis, who settle near the territory of a fascist alien empire and act all surprised when they end up hosed inside their borders, and then refuse to leave even though people with fanstastic technology and practically free resources would have easily helped them relocate to garden worlds of the Maquis' choosing anywhere in their space

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

it's interesting that you can't imagine a world not run by capitalism even 300-400 years in the future

a world run by capitalism 300-400 years in the future will probably look like the early 1900s in terms of technology level with the way these assholes run things

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'll always regret that I missed the chance to get trashed at Quark's

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

How did the ancient Bajorans get their wooden sailboats (laden with ornate brass fittings) up the gravity well?

Honestly was the thing supposed to be built entirely out of wood or do people just make that assumption because lol space sailboat

balsa wood was used in some early spacecraft heat shields

Squeezy Farm posted:

This is peak :catdrugs:. Try loosening your fedora so the blood can reach your drat brain again.

No, really. The Autobots are the bad guys in those loving films. Well, there are no good guys at any rate. It's unnerving as gently caress to hear Optimus Prime yell about murdering people for an hour and a half.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jesus christ I forgot that the two worst characters in the alpha quadrant were introduced in the same episode. Sisko's vain, obsessive mouthy restaurateur dad and the dopey elephant man president of the federation.

"I play pretend chef at night and mostly just talk at customers about how great a chef I think I am and they go along with it because they think its what a restaurant was, since they don't exist anymore"

and

"I don't want to take any concrete steps to fight a full fledged hostile infiltration because I, a defrosted elephant man wearing wool gloves and a shower cap have some insane notion about how earth is supposed to be when its actually just an amusement park full of parkettes and fake restaurants"

A lack of economy back on earth has turned everyone into a whiny me-first brat. I'm disappointed the changelings did not wipe out the planet.

Lol no if your guy has to resort to having a bunch of dipshit cadets sabotage the planetary power grid to make your point then he's loving derpy RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUA

I mean they were pretty clearly taking steps to deal with the situation with the phaser sweeps and so on but for Crazy Admiral it wasn't enough so he started beaming mustardshirts with dustbuster rifles into the streets and shooting at the defiant and just being a smug prick about security and hurf derf it's Star Trek not 24

Anyway Sisko's dad was just how old people are annoying and won't take their medicine or stay out of the sunlight because they're old and think they know better than the advances in knowledge made since their youth, that's why he makes people peel potatoes in a stabby alley behind his restaurant or even has a restaurant run in that fashion.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The best Voyager episode is the one you choose not to watch because you've gone off to do something productive or watch an episode from one of the first three shows instead

The loving problem with this show is that it's too bland and safe the vast majority of the time to be bad enough to at least be amusing, or offensive enough to become notable. Then, occasionally out of nowhere it'll throw one or two decent episodes or even a really good one at you, to make you think it's worth keeping up with. But it's a lie, since you have to slog through another 7-12 episodes worth of filler at a time to get to another worthwhile story. It's frustrating because there are interesting characters or at least the potential for them, but like a poor marksman they keep -missing- the target

Also I seem to remember Year of Hell airing as a TV movie and some scenes being cut for the regular broadcast version

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The rest of the show spends so much time making you care less and less for the characters and their surroundings that instead of the gut wrenching emotional reaction they wanted, as an adult watching the show I experience a sort of perverse pleasure in watching the ship get completely blown to poo poo, they tried the same thing on Enterprise too and I had the same feeling

Kurtwood Smith as Spacetime Ahab completely steals the show and uplifts the whole drat thing though.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

This needs to be on Memory Alpha

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

heeeere we are
born to be kings
we're the princes of the universe

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Worf was an rear end in a top hat about relationships even as far back as being pissed at K'Ehleyr for loving and then not effectively marrying him.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

"Where No One Has Gone Before" was a fun episode. The dangers of snake oil salesmen and their higher lifeform buddies.

I liked how first they get launched into some crazy distant galaxy, and then again even farther into some hosed up mario special zone where thought and reality merge in some new agey 80's bullshit that only TNG could effectively conjure

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

yeah but it was a sailboat

The Enterprise is a sailboat

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

these days we let private enterprise name their things Enterprise

collectively we don't deserve the chance we've been given

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
no no you're not supposed to imagine a better world you're supposed to consume, consume!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of costumes, there's a funny story about how hosed up the process of making Generations was. They designed and actually produced all new uniforms for everyone but decided at the last second to not use them so they were completely hosed. Instead they used a mix of TNG and borrowed DS9 costumes. They also weren't given any money to redo sets so they had to reuse the ones from the show, which looked like garbage on film.

That was late enough into the production that they produced action figures of the crew in those uniforms.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Its more about how little else there was to do at home in 1988. Bust out the Smith-Corona typewriter? Play a game of Operation with the 4 remaining bones you have? Flip the channel and watch Roseanne? I'm surprised they put as much effort in as they did.

It really is a different world now, with more and different distractions and expectations. There is better TV these days but I would say the same decent to poo poo show ratio is about the same. At least there's an internet now that makes it possible for shut in nerds to reach out to other shut in nerds, back then you were basically left rocking back and forth waiting to die until TNG came back on

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Dead Gay Romans posted:

lol this thread got dark. Didn't any of you have.... friends to play with? I mean you can't all be shut-in pedos.

I had a few friends and stuff as a kid/teenager, but I was mostly a loner and a nerd on a whole other level with no one to really share it with. I'm not really into Futurama, but I'll always remember a scene from that one episode they did where Fry explained that when he had no friends, Star Trek made him feel like maybe he did.

It's pathetic and it's sad and I know there are other people reading this thread that understand exactly what that feels like from their own experience

I should ask TCC if they make comforting beige in pill form

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
no no Tuvok was on the Enterprise B man you got it all backwards

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That's a good scene

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tujague posted:

I know you guys like the last season of Enterprise, but I just can't watch it without factoring in the horrible-rear end characters, lovely acting, lame storylines and fanservice jerkoff poo poo with Walleye McFaketits. If it hadn't been murked at the end of season 4, Voyager would be the better show by virtue of having enough good actors to play doubles tennis and enough good characters to play checkers.

Yeah there's fanservice but it's a prequel, after 3 years of running Voyager style away from it's premise or lousy garbage like "Maybe one day my people will draft some kind of... Directive!" the stuff in the last season was actually interesting.

You're right about the characters, though. 3 years of doing almost nothing to get me to care about these people isn't something you can recover from no matter how good the new producer is.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Nah that episode was crap because they tease the gently caress out of the Romulans at first but instead it's just 40 minutes of the previously established boring unlikable british guy being stapled to the hull begging everyone to let him die

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think it's far more likely that nobody at decision-making level of the production saw anything wrong with Archer being captain because his daddy built the engine, they probably figured it was "fitting" or something as opposed to coming off like nepotism.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tujague posted:

I'm super glad you retarded fuckfaces had the self-control to postpone the whole HERE'S WHAT MY DUMB FAT rear end THINKS ABOUT THE MORALITY OF PRISON debate for after page 100

They should sentence you to forever in prison for this lovely post, but instead you just get 30 days at a pleasant penal colony in new zealand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread