Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hard counter posted:

I think pedos are attracted to trek because we go back to victorian-esque sexual repression in the bold near future.

Like 4 characters total live normal family lives. Everyone else is stuck in a decades long dry spell where the most they have going on is seeing their ex on the bridge or mess hall and then updating their personal log status to 'it's complicated :ohdear:.' People been dry so long they're falling in love with the first hologram, ghost, mentally simulated worldscape NPC or other incorporeal/nonexistent entity that makes pleasant conversation.

You'd think people would loosen up more in the future given the present's increasingly liberal tendencies but nah. It's just years of pretending you're too enlightened to have a libido until it culminates with you falling in love with a force field and then having to hide this forbidden passion from the world.

you know whenever people on TNG talk about "going to the arboretum" with someone, they're basically going there to gently caress, right?

i'm also pretty sure that the series depicts wesley crusher as being more romantically successful than geordi la forge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
there's an episode of TNG where geordi literally yells at a woman for being angry at him for having created an incredibly hostile work environment

and by the end of the episode she's apologizing to him

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mind the walrus posted:

Said it at the top of the page friend.

my post was better

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

poorlifedecision posted:

Wesley - In jail after going on a phaser rampage through the ship because he's still a space virgin at 17. All the green alien babes are just whores who only gently caress officers.

wesley literally gets more action on the show than geordi does

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the hologram isn't even all of it though. he spends that entire episode being a passive-aggressive creep to her.

she asks him about some modification and instead of saying "well we were in a pinch and i looked through your notes and got the idea from that" he loving tries to steal credit by saying "well sometimes we think of stuff out here in the real world too!!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

poorlifedecision posted:

Sorry I didn't read the entire wiki before I made a joke.

your joke was really less about star trek and more about how society is pretty fukked up these days but w/e it's all just posts every day

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Harveygod posted:

Crusher was okay with her son basically doing that with some obvious child molester, so she is a worse parent.

You realize he was like 20 years old in that episode, right?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah the writers started regretting that episode almost immediately when they had to insert a "Starfleet says it's okay for us to go fast for this week's crisis" line of dialogue a bunch of times.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

The funny part is that that was the plan, but they never got around to actually saying so in the show, so it's not canon.

(And then the lesson would be that if you're doing horrific environmental damage, it'll be quick and easy to fix so stop worrying about it.)

I dunno though, it interacts with the space-ocean metaphor in a really ugly way.

At present, international shipping and travel uses fossil fuel and emits greenhouse gasses. But there are alternative sources of power to get us across oceans. We could go back to sail power, or use a combination of sails and solar, or even nuclear power on really big ships. It's a bit more expensive, but we can definitely make crossing the ocean not require greenhouse gas emissions.

That TNG episode basically said all warp speed breaks the fabric of space, slower speeds just don't break it as fast. They toss a line in there about "maybe eventually we'll figure out a different way to go FTL" but at the end of the day the analogy is basically "we shouldn't ever travel to or trade with other places," which is a huge loving downer and not really a good takeaway.

I'm not against the concept of a "your poo poo is really negatively impacting others and it's going to be substantially inconvenient for you to change your ways" story, but the approach they took on that episode wasn't a good fit for the setting.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sentinel Red posted:

Can someone explain for me how Starfleet weren't wiped out long ago if they're the kind of outfit loving stupid enough

everyone around them is even dumber, that's how

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blazing Ownager posted:

God drat it'd suck to work night shift with her alone. Or ever be with her alone.

One thought of how much that you despise such a worthless crew member outranking half the people on board, and you'll never be on her good side again. Plus every time you roll your eyes at her obvious "emotional reading" you'd get a dirty look.

ED: Also given she plays, and loses at poker... yeah, holding a straight face can fool her. She's terrible.

in real militaries doctors and dentists and what-not are often relatively high-ranking, but they're not in the normal chain of command. you wouldn't get a dentist ever taking command of an aircraft carrier despite the fact that as a lieutenant commander he has a higher rank than someone else.

also those poker games are already pretty crazy. geordi's visor can clue him in on physiological changes when someone's lying (or poo poo could probably just see through the cards). data can watch and keep track of all the cards perfectly if he wants to.

riker probably knows how to mask his emotions well enough for troi not to pick up on it.

anyway my guess would be that the tng writers (or the early series ones, at least) would have said that troi wouldn't be bothered by someone feeling like they would like to bang her, because in the ~evolved sensibilities of the 24th century~ it's not a big deal that people want to gently caress, so as long as they were respectful to her there wouldn't be a problem

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i think it'd be funny if there was some lovely dive bar tucked away in some corner of the Enterprise-D that never got upgraded or even serviced much since the ship was built

like there's tar stains on the walls despite nobody smoking in the future, and the carpet is falling apart, and the replicator somehow is programmed to only dispense microwaved pizzas (???) and fried snacks (mozzarella sticks, pizza sticks, chicken nuggets, hushpuppies, etc).

oh and there's a beat-up old holoprojector, but the only thing they can get working on it is Joe Piscopo Data doing his Joe Piscopo impression

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
sometimes Riker shows up looking for "unauthorized replicator use" but the regulars just make sure he gets so plastered he can't remember finding the place

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

happyhippy posted:

Someone do a bizzaro version of the comic where some ensign is doing this but O'Brien is whistling merrily the whole time, his life validated.

"Chief, teleport me to the toilet".
"Certainly sir"
"Now back to bed".
"Right side or left sir?"
"Right please".
"Cant reach cheeto bowl.."
"Already ahead of you sir" *has poo poo eating grin*

sounds like a tim & eric skit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Let us English posted:

The problems with the Federation are pretty explicitly stated in DS9 too. I think there's even a character who does the borg/federation comparison.

keep in mind that Eddington is a racist warmonger with a serious martyr complex. when he says "boo-hoo we just want the federation to leave us alone" what he really means is "we want the federation to implicitly back our aggression against the spoonheads next door" because without the threat of federation intervention the cardassian fleet would have just rolled in and flattened the maquis colonies wholesale.

Shadow posted:

They should have just aired a rerun.

season 2 was already short by several episodes and it wouldn't surprise me if there would have been contract penalties or costs to not sending out something

the good thing though is that the clipshow was so bad that when paramount asked for another clipshow in season 4, the writers and producers instead just did the cheapest episode they could and we got The Drumhead out of it

and i'm pretty sure most folks here would consider that a good trade (who cares what got aired in the first couple seasons of TNG anyway??)

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 14, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shadow posted:

Computer, since I can just tell you to lock phasers on the enemy ship's hull, why the gently caress do I need Worf?

here's the thing: Star Trek, like all space opera, isn't interested in accurately portraying the outcomes and side-effects of futuristic technology. it's all a visual metaphor. if you pick at any space opera long enough, it will fall apart. this even includes "gritty, realistic" shows like battlestar galactica.

so for example, Star Wars starfighter combat is like the Battle of Midway or the Dambusters. it's WW2 fighter combat. keep in mind that by 1977 we were already using air-to-air missiles, but the Star Wars fighters are all still about trying to get up each other's rear end with guns lasers.

Star Trek tends to swing between Age of Sail kinda stuff (the scene in The Wrath of Khan where they're pulling up the grates and loading torpedo tubes was the result of the director demanding a "running out the guns" sequence) and submarine combat (like hunting the Romulan ship in Balance of Terror)

your question was actually answered back in 1968. the TOS episode The Ultimate Computer shows a large central computer running the Enterprise and performing in combat far more effectively than a veteran crew could. the characters come out and directly say "this computer flew the ship better than we ever did" and then Spock gets up on the soapbox and says some stuff about how starships run on loyalty to their captains, which is basically the writers looking at the camera and saying "yes, nerds, the Federation could totally build robot starships that are more powerful and efficient than our heroes... but that's not what you're really watching the show for, is it?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't think he was a racist warmonger, odds are he'd tried to fight whoever the Federation signed his land over to.

Eddington's private war with the Pakleds, sadly, was not to be.

maybe not racist (although i doubt they'd have been nearly so eager to kill if it'd been a dispute with other humans) but his position still comes down to "it's literally never okay to ever trade territory as part of a peace deal at all, ever" which is kind of bullshit.

and it's not like here on earth where there's finite land and refugees would face a struggle to find housing and employment after their relocation. it's the loving federation, they're gonna get shelter and food no matter what, and the feds even promised to resettle them anywhere else. "yo pick any other planet and we'll take you and all your poo poo there for free. don't like any of the choices? we'll literally order Starfleet to go find new planets that meet your criteria."

but no. the maquis would rather see thousands of people killed than be inconvenienced. that's pretty god damned selfish to value your feelings of sentimentality over the actual lives of others. i know that's "entirely human", but that doesn't make it any less morally wrong.

the federation is 100% in the right with regard to that peace treaty. lives are worth more than land in a setting where there's still an ever-expanding frontier. the maquis are just the spoiled right-winger scum of the federation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

muscles like this? posted:

In the Culture novels citizens of the Culture have glands in their heads that let them get high whenever they want.

holy poo poo i am loving sick of hearing about those goddamn nerdcandy books

Nigmaetcetera posted:

there's zero way I could ever be convinced to get on a transporter pad. they're loving suicide machines

yeah, and warp drive's a hoax, too!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ralp posted:

I don't like the Captain Proton episodes but I don't think they were significantly worse than Voyager filler episodes in general. A Captain Proton episode just played straight with no alien threat or holodeck malfunctions could have been good imo, or at the very least an interesting experiment.

There was one where the crew discovered a secret Maquis mutiny simulation program and the first half was actually really good even though it was "just" crew members goofing off on the holodeck, but then a hologram ghost of Seska took over the ship. Who cares.

yeah you can tell there were episodes where the producers told the writers "yeah this is okay but we have to put the ship in jeopardy somehow!!"

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm not sure if it was the same episode, but my favorite part of Geordi can't get laid stuff was when he was being awkward in 10 forward, and Worf was there, and Worf is like "You have to let her see the fire in your eyes!" And Geordi gives him this brief "Did you really say that you loving rear end in a top hat?" look, before shaking it off. The burn is never even really acknowledged.

my all-time favorite is during Sarek (when his old-man Vulcan dementia is causing the crew to go nuts) when Geordi and Wesley start yelling at each other b/c Wesley's horny and wants to get off work to go on a date with some hot young ensign

Geordi basically says 'what's your rush she's not gonna bang you' and Wesley comes back with "at least I don't have to find my dates on the holodeck!"

and all Geordi can come back with is "...what did you say?"

he has no comeback. he got totally burned.

wesley crusher got more play on that ship than geordi la forge

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

muscles like this? posted:

Its this whole Catch 22 situation where they don't want to alienate the audience by introducing a bunch of future stuff but then it just makes the future look creatively bankrupt seeing as it has no culture of its own.

pretty sure it's less about alienating and more that if they try to come up with future-music people would just as quickly poo poo on it for being lame and hokey

opus111 posted:

there is culture but from alien planets.

its funny when they list stuff and try to drop stuff in nonchalantly, like for example, music:

PICARD: The greats! Mozart, Beethoven, Mahlar, Queezin'gord'kkkk....

if they didn't do the <alien thing> we'd be bitching about how history apparently ended in the late 20th century, and if they didn't do the <ren/20thC thing> half the audience would be instantly lost trying to figure out who this Queezin'gord'kkkk is and whether they'd missed him from earlier in the episode or something when they had to get up and take a piss.

Fetus Tree posted:

if you read the technical manual, klingons actually dont urinate. they have hyperactive pores that basically act as urine misters

don't even try to post like Kirk, you will never be on his level of fake trekposting

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

I love how the only thing anyone ever thinks of to do with the holodeck is recreate stuff that was in the public domain as of 1987.

they actually got in a little trouble with the first sherlock holmes episode they did because they assumed it had become public domain by 1988 and it hadn't

the original plan was to bring back moriarty for third season but they instead had to wait until paramount worked it out with the arthur conan doyle estate

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Luigi Thirty posted:

It is established that people get transporter credits on earth, it's reasonable that they get holodeck time credits as well

that was only established for sisko who was in the academy at the time, and it makes perfect sense that the academy would place closer limits on transporter use than regular citizens (gotta get cadets used to not being able to run home for every single little thing)

Fetus Tree posted:

in the writers guide this is actually laid out as being due to trying to prevent long lines

seriously stop fakeposting

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fetus Tree posted:

can you stop being such a whiny oval office and go back to tviv if it bothers you

tia

i can't, i have a condition

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Figaro posted:

How else could her voice sound like that?

smoking

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

The Best of Both Worlds is an over-rated episode that doesn't stand the test of time and the Borg were a lame villain that got progressively lamer every time they appeared and the only reason anyone liked them originally was that the production team put so much more work into the costumes than usual that it blew people's mind that Star Trek was actually doing something that looked cool.

the first part is still pro but the second part really suffers for the writer being a dillweed who thought it was really clever to write a cliffhanger he had no idea how to resolve when he thought he wasn't going to be around to have to resolve it

and then turns out he didn't move on and poo poo guys how do we fix this??

also picard got turned into locutus because paramount said "be ready to write off picard" when patrick stewart demanded more money

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fetus Tree posted:

agreed

also it was p much unheard of for a show to end on a cliffhanger like that

lol what the gently caress are you talking about, there were definitely season finale cliffhangers before that

Who Shot J.R.??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fetus Tree posted:

isnt the last time they appear in TNG BoBW pt 2? except for I, Borg or Hugh or whatever the gently caress that episode is

there's i, borg and then there's descent

a bad episode and a really terrible two-parter

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trast posted:

Doesn't DS9 make some reference to the Borg being more honest about their agendas than the Federation? I think Quark says it. DS9 took a lot of shots at Gene's utopian paradise concept.

that was eddington and he was just a huge shithead anyway because the maquis wanted to go murder the cardies next door and the federation wouldn't back them up on it

the maquis would get so pouty about how they just wanna be left alone when in reality they wanted the feds to be like a big brother they could run to whenever they got the cardassians mad enough to send the fleet in. dipshits

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
eddington pitched a big fit about how the maquis colonies got ~abandoned by the federation~ when the dominion rolled in, despite the fact that the feds couldn't even stand up to them without having to go try and save some idiot shitheads that had spent the past few years violently antagonizing the spoonheads. that alone should tell you what a uselessly self-centered piece of poo poo the guy is.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the maquis really were basically the anti-vaxxer "UN gonna take our guns" shitheads of the federation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

counterfeitsaint posted:

To be fair, the distance from Bajor thing was really bullshit. A starship can clear a star system in minutes on impulse, but Bajoran shuttle service? Three hours.

Eh. It's not that baffling to me that a local low-cost ferry is going to be a bit pokier than a high-performance starship that has to be able to interdict marauding Romulans or whatever.

Entropic posted:

No technology or ability mentioned in a given Star Trek episode ever has any applications outside of that episode. That's just how it works. Oh yeah, we figured out how to use transporters for immortality once, and there was that time we made a gun with a built-in mini-transporter and x-ray scope that can shoot through walls. Nah, we never wrote any of that down, we just kinda forgot about it.

This isn't quite correct. Wesley's nanites from Evolution are mentioned as a possible anti-Borg weapon in Best of Both Worlds. The wave motion gun deflector dish beam used in Best of Both Worlds shows up again in Night Terrors. The "metaphasic shielding" being tested in Suspicions gets used in Descent Part 2. I'm pretty sure there's at least one other example I'm forgetting.

Which, in a way, makes it that much more frustrating when the writers do forget (by accident or on purpose) that a previously-introduced ability or trick would perfectly solve a given dilemma.

opus111 posted:

therse a yospos thread where they all pile on to see who can be the biggest ds9 hater. Yospos sucks.

:confused:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I had the technical manual as a kid, that's exactly how replicators work. The mass needed to create the thing you're replicating (because of course you need raw material for some reason in your machine that makes things out of thin air?) is your poo and pee. From the waste reclamation system.

On Star Track they eat a lot of poo poo. That's the reason some people prefer real food. They're not fans of eating literal poo poo.

that's how life works:

• rabbit eats grass
  • wolf eats rabbit
  • wolf takes a poo poo
  • poo poo fertilizes grass
  • rabbit eats grass

it's even more blatant with water. that glass of mt dew livewire water you're drinking might well have been dinosaur piss at some point in the distant past.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Entropic posted:

Apparently Paramount is completely OK with fan-films using the Star Trek name as long as they're not really making money off it, so there are a ton of incredibly lovely and yet somehow decently produced fan-films out there. The weird part is that a bunch of them managed to rope in actors from the real shows to take part. Walter Koenig and I think a bunch of random people from Voyager have been in some of them. They're universally terrible, with the writing you would expect from teenagers making fan-fic who have no original ideas of their own.

yeah there's one turboshit one called "renegades" and they got the guy who played the Voyager holo-doc to join in

so of course he has to play a Dr. Zimmerman, because what else could Robert Picardo possibly play as???

loving idiot nerds need an editor so bad

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blistex posted:

All of the Shakespeare stuff was a huge inside joke about Shatner and Plummer.

Back in the 50's Shatner was Christopher Plummer's understudy at Stratford. They were doing some Shakespearian play, and Plummer hurt himself (banging some chick) and couldn't go on stage, and that was one of Shatner's big breaks.

I'm not even sure it was so much of an inside joke (except maybe only between Shatner and Plummer) as it was the director being a huge fan of old British actors and giggling with glee at being able to film one really chewing the scenery with his favorite Shakespeare quotes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr. Horrible posted:

Oh drat, just started watching an episode of Voyager where some alien is giving the crew nightmares.

Tuvok: shows up on the bridge naked
Paris: loses control of his shuttle
Janeway: the crew dies before she can get them home
Harry Kim: gets kissed by a girl :gonk:

I guess Starfleet only lets gay Asian men join the bridge crew?

Harry's afraid because he knows Captain Janeway will bust his balls, or Tom Paris will replace the woman with livestock, or the woman will actually turn out to be some kind of praying-mantis like creature

seriously that show seemed to delight in tormenting Harry Kim for ever having a lustful thought

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

You joke, but in one of the novels (I, Q, which is told from Q's perspective), the Q have a rival called the M. Come to think of it, there are a lot of silly things like that in that book, but it still somehow manages to be a pretty decent read. And like every other Star Trek novel, all the backstory and things that it established about the Q got completely contradicted by later episodes.

The show writers could barely be bothered to be constrained by what they or their fellow staff writers had previously written, there's no chance in hell they were ever going to defer in the slightest to what amounted to licensed fanfiction.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Since you guys are going on about holoperversions, it seems a good time to repost this classic: Blue Stripe: The Life and Times of a Holodeck Janitor

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kitchner posted:

I admit it.

I am a man and I have a fetish for vaginas. I just for them sexy OK?

There I've admitted it.

hope this sicko gets banned. can we get a moderator in here??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Tasha Yar is also like the only TNG main cast character we never got to see sitting in the captain's chair, and that makes me sad for some reason.

Also a badass at phaser shooting. There's a shootout in Too Short A Season where Our Heroes are pinned behind cover against some local shithead warlord's troops, and every time she shoots she pops a guy in one shot. If it'd been Worf and Riker they would have just been spraying all over the place and hardly hitting poo poo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EvilGenius posted:

I always kind of disliked this element of Star Trek. There's no money, yet there are no wasters. There are no people just perpetually drinking and partying.

Wait, how do you know there aren't burnouts or slackers in the Federation? And what's wrong with there being burnouts and slackers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, Battlestar Galactica made it work.

for a couple of seasons anyway

i honestly really want a series that has the aesthetics of BSG but isn't post-apocalyptic or whatever

poo poo it doesn't even need killer robots it could just be two human space navies slugging it out in space

and a fatherly, gravel-voiced, hard-charging leader as commander

• Locked thread