Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Depends on whether or not I'm playing Monopoly

That's true, if I really want to loving beat someone at Monopoly holding someone's last $5,000 probably feels pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Planets don't have the right to succeed from the Federation right? Like if some useful planet near the Cardassian border just said "No thank you we wanna be self ruled, thanks for the replicator tech and holo rooms" the federation would just send a couple ships their way and install someone in power who liked the federation I imagine. Has a planets succession ever been the topic of an episode?

No I'm pretty sure they can just leave.

The problem with the Marquis was more that they kept killing Cardassians.

So the Cardassians wanted to just waste all the planets and kill all the colonists and the Federation didn't want genocide on their doorstep.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Yaos posted:

There was an episode where Jake and that annoying little kid Ferengi somehow got gold pressed latinum. It's not explained how they got it, and we're left with the conclusion that Quark gave it to them for "services". That's not the strange part, they used it to bid on items in an auction and there were a bunch of Starfleet members there bidding as well. Where did they get gold pressed latinum?

I'm pretty sure it's as tat dude said, that the Federation can give money to their staff if they need to.

Since all the federation staff are living on a station with loads of shops that use money and it's above a planet that uses money I wouldn't be surprised if they give them some cash.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

oldpainless posted:

I figured if people showed themselves to be a drain on society the Federation quietly eliminated them by age 25 or so. Isn't that what Section 31 does?

No Section 31 kills gays and trans people.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mr. Pumroy posted:

there's the hippies cruising around in the hippy ship in that one tos ep. and there's risa, literally an entire planet dedicated to hedonism. there's loads of layabouts on the periphery but star trek isn't about them. it's about the small cross section of the federation population that enjoys living in metal cans in deep space and dying horrible ways to exotic alien monsters.

i bet they're perceived as profoundly mentally deranged by the civilian population. hey did you hear about sam? he blasted off to space, then a giant sentient cloud from another dimension came to our space through a subspace rip and mega hosed up his insides. yeah when it finished with him his intestines were where his brain was supposed to be. they inverted the polaron bullshit in the plasma coils or something to get rid of it. sam was always a weird dude, i guess this is how he wanted to go.

That's true. I think the argument about layabouts is pretty null and void when there's a planet where you can just stay in a 5 star hotel totally for free and have hot chicks or dudes bang you all day while you drink cocktails.

Again though, how many years could you do that before before you get bored?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

shadow puppet of a posted:

Most new condo building have a five minute alarm reprieve button. I imagine the most popularly replicated item is a set of alarm reprieve button weights.

Second most popular item is a set of bed-sized secondary inertial dampeners.

If I lived on the Enterprise I'd sleep with a phaser under my pillow in case of marauding boarding parties of Klingons, Romulans, or the Borg. In the case of the latter it's there to disintegrate me and my family to stop them being assimilated. Only the main characters survive that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

GrumpyDoctor posted:

The Federation keeps pretty tight control over replicator technology. They might lend you some industrial replicators if there's an acute need, but they don't pass the things out, and the specs aren't public domain.

Computer.

Beep-boop

Scan the replicator I've been given and design blueprints that could be used as an even better replicator.

Blueprints complete.

OK, now replicated the new improved replicator..

Replication complete.

Great! Now computer, re perform last steps of this process 50 times.

Congrats. Now you can build your own armada

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Klingons have learned English and speak English when dealing with the Federation

when they're alone they speak Klingon to each other

we see them speaking English alone because that's just hollywood convention

That still doesn't explain why the universal translator sometimes doesn't translate other languages.

Like King ons saying all their Klingon poo poo, or when Picard was disguised as a romulan and they kept saying some poo poo like "Ju'lan tru" or something which will have an English translation but the universal translator decided it will be better not to translate that phrase.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Disco Infiva posted:

What if replicators are made from gold pressed latinum?

They get stolen by the Ferengi

Figaro posted:

What if your replicator broke and instead of making you that Bacardi and coke you ordered after a busy shift in engineering, something went wrong with its command pathways and instead it replicated a corrosive acid and pepsi? You'd need to keep a tricorder handy anytime you replicated something because if the replicators are even half as glitchy and accident prone as the holodecks/transporters/data...oh dear. They should have just installed vending machines in the corridors

This is the same crew who finds the holdeck tries to kill them every other week and the next week they all go back to LARP. Or the same crew that continues to be a barber on board the Federation's deadliest assignment.

Basically dying of drinking Pepsi and acid is poo poo all to them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Its like automotive repair. Whether your are speaking French or Tagalog, eventually you have to say "carburetor throttle body" because there is no more accurate local translation available. So with Klingon, when you are getting really deep in discussing chopping apart an enemy those blood vengeance you first swore an oath to avenge over a cask of particularly eye-watering blood wine on the day of Kahless' stand at the battle of Gqn'zoth, English is not going to convey the half of it and the translator cant cope with the stone cold killer talk emanating from behind those pointy teeth and just conks out rather than embarrass itself.

It happens similarly around Cardassians discussing recursively indexed filing systems, Ferengi discussing obfuscated contractual terms and Bolians speaking on the dangers of not being able to recognize a choking victim.

No sorry but this doesn't stand up.

Some Klingon says some jibberish and Word goes "That means today is a good day to die" is totally translatable.

Example. In that episode where picard goes to romulus he's in a klingon ship and the captain gets buzzed by the bridge, they shout at each other in klingon, and then he leaves.

You can't tell me that was highly specific klingon language. He was probably like "Captain, we are entering romulan space, leave the human to gently caress his gay man bot"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Moridin920 posted:

I get the starfleet types; being in charge of a space ship would be cool and someone has to defend the home worlds.

the colonists who romanticize not having any tech and going out to scratch out an existence on a world that could kill them with some exotic infection at any moment are the real nutters

I dunno forging a new life on a uninhabitated world would be pretty cool. The founding city would be called Kitchnopolis and the official language would be Kitchnish.

There would be statues of me everywhere and the children of the colonists I enslaved immediately after landing would be taken away and conditioned to think I was a god.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Pneub posted:

And yet Odo could still disguise himself as a pack of cigarettes.

Not as good as the shapeshifter who became loving mist.

Like what happens if you breathe in all the mist? Does he live in your lungs?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Pththya-lyi posted:

No poo poo Klingon isn't real, but it's "real" in the Star Trek universe, which is itself fake. You're splitting hairs about the use of a fictional language in a fictional society that doesn't, and can never, exist.

E: Let me just ask you one thing: If Klingon were an actual language, why wouldn't people actually use loan words from it?

E2: Actually, answer this question first: What is a loan word?

Regardless, Klingons speaking full blown Klingon in front of federation guys should actually bear speaking English.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Howard Beale posted:

The best part of the Star Trek Experience were the toilets that said "Sample collected" when they flushed

Those toilets were provided by the NSA and the Star Trek Experience organisers had nothing to do with the toilets.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

EvilTaytoMan posted:

DS 9 would have been better if it was set during the Bajoran Occupation.

Dukat did nothing wrong.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
It would be cool if they did a star trek serra it's about the marquis and the series sets them up as these good guys defending their home and poo poo against the cardassian invaders because the slow lumbering federation won't get involved.

Then over the series you start going "wait a minute.... These guys are terrorists!" but by the time you realise they are space ISIS you already know and like the characters so you feel really torn.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mr. Pumroy posted:

have to agree, the maquis never interested me because i could never be too concerned about their plight. something about the post scarcity economy and abundance of habitable planets that makes me not care that colonists landed on like the handful of planets that happen to be on a hotly contested border. bitch, it's not even your actual home. move to another planet. the only thing that's keeping you from doing that is your insane belief that it's cool to live in some rustic agrarian fantasy village that you founded using space shuttles, teleporters and matter replicators. it's like when a historic reenactor wants to be taken seriously it's like lol i hope the cardassians kill you

That's the point though, the show would present them as these people just fighting for their homes. The series would show you how they built the homes themselves, they had kids born on that world etc.

The audience is like "Yeah these guys are the good guys, I'm on their side!" then they start piecing together all these terrorist acts. You start seeing how some actions they claim are destroying Cardassian weapons shipments but are actually killing innocent people to.

You hear the Federation (who have really only been talked about and shown on screen to be unhelpful) trying to reason with them, offering them ways out and they refuse.

Basically you could gently caress with the entire audience by getting them to really like a set of characters and then having them slowly come to their own realisation that these guys are terrorists.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

We seek out new life, and new civilisations. If they are crab people though we are going to loving eat the poo poo out of them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Check out this essay on Reddit:

Real talk. Is Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Worf Chronicles the way to go?

I'm all for a new Star Trek series, and Michael Dorn's movement is our best bet in the present, but I don't think his vision is the best for the Star Trek universe and fanbase.

The idea is to send mini muffins with a note saying "We want worf." to all the Hollywood big wigs, and this display of thousands of mini muffins should convince them that people really do want his series.

So people are donating to this thing, but what are they really getting? He talks about how great his script is, but what we know:

- the title is long and a tad ridiculous

- Captain Worf is a thing. There's a large emphasis on himself.

- He wants to bring it back to questions of the human condition, and ethics.

I want to know about the details of the show. What does his crew look like? I fully support an alien captain, it seems like the next barrier to break as the species of the Star Trek universe desegregate and learn to work together. I am really hoping for a Romulan crew member. At the current rate, despite being very early on, they are moving towards alliance, at least enough to volunteer one of their own to observe a Starfleet mission, and join the crew permanently.

Depending on the timeframe, I quite like the popular suggestion of Molly O'Brien as a weapons officer, inspired by her father's war stories slightly more than his engineering stories, and combining the two. It also allows for more opportunities for O'Brien to suffer! If Worf gets to carry over from the last wave of Star Trek shows, so should at least one other person. And it makes sense, as he knew O'Brien for years, that he would recruit his daughter.

Speaking of the timeframe, the aesthetic of everything is an interesting aspect I would like to know about. Uniforms and ships would have been updated. But in the design of everything, it must have a 2015 touch to it: bright colors and minimalism. I just want a little concept art about what Dorn expects everything to look like. His vision is a massive unknown to the thousands of paying fans.

And if it's all about ethics and things, is it really going to be another series of flying around in the Enterprise without issue talking to random aliens each week? He really should give it a bit more depth and continuity. DS9 was spectacular towards the end, and in this modern age of binge-watching, intricate plots spanning episodes are more popular than a creature of the week. It's not to say that each episode can't have a story all to itself, but it should mean something in the greater scheme of things. DS9 had a ten-part finale. It really was the most cleverly-written, height of the series. Voyager was alright, it started to improve half-way through its run with SevenOfNine, but creature of the week just wasn't as good after that. TNG/DS9 nailed it, and with experience on both of those shows, here's hoping Dorn can take something good from them.

But despite a lot of unknowns, there is one potential issue, already quite clear, that could make or break the show. Worf. Honestly, his character seems a little played out. It was clever to bring him onto DS9 to expand the really small cast, but to have him married one season before Dax died only to have him mourn about it seemed a bit unnecessary. It seemed to be a very artificial problem, created only so the characters involved had something to do.

Of course, the position of Captain will open new challenges and breathe a bit more life into the character, but we already know pretty much all we could about Worf. We know about his son, his parents. All of the other Klingons used to laugh and call him names. They never let poor Worf join in their Klingon games. We get it. The biggest new outlook we could draw from another series from Worf is deeper insight into Klingon culture. But Worf grew up on Earth. He doesn't really know that much. So if there are going to be episodes where they run into Klingons and see more of Kronos, there really is no need for it to be Worf. He's a good character, but is he the best character for the role? Dorn is really putting himself in the limelight here. It's evident even down the title, which isn't a very good one. We don't know much besides LOOK AT ME I MADE A SHOW ABOUT ME, and I don't think that's really the best thing for Star Trek.

At this present time, we don't really have any other options, and TNGWC will be our best bet to open the door to more Star Trek series, but Worf writing about Worf talking about Worf on the Enterprise doesn't seem that great to me. At least Voyager put a level of threat on flying around meeting aliens on a spaceship. At the very least, he needs a new twist on things. And probably a new ship. With TOS, TNG, ENT, and the new movies, it's really beating a dead horse. Let's see what he has to offer, but I'm a little skeptical.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/3bgmc9/real_talk_is_star_trek_the_next_generation_the/

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Personally I think gently caress this guy I want to see Star Trek: This one is about Worf

Also make Wil Wheaton a drunk that Worf finds in a bar and then slaps the Starfleet back into him.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I actually like the idea of Worf commanding a Klingon Bird of Prey and every time he tries to do something diplomatic someone is like "Let's kill them!" and he's basically thinking "poo poo, was I this annoying to Picard?"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think the need a cross over episode with Family Guy.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Esri says "inertial damping" rather than "inertial dampening".

gently caress you, Esri.

It's not like part of her has had like 2,000 years to get that right. Sheesh.

I think it would have been more interesting to make Dax a man again and then have Worf have really awkward conversations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I preferred Gul Dukat's speeches about how inferior the Bajorans were and how he e was doing them a favour by brutally oppressing them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Chomp8645 posted:

This is like the only area in which Voyager did it better than the others. Most of their personnel had crystal clear roles.

Torres was "the engineer", Paris was "the pilot", Tuvok was "security" out of combat and "tactical (weapons)" during combat. Kim was basically whatever you would call Lt. Gaeta's role from Batlestar, adjutant or tactical or something (if Starfleet didn't insist on referring to any "weapons officer" by "tactical" instead. Even loving Neelix was "the cook" forever until he also became morale officer/public relations.

Kinda funny that the show that had the least amount of sensible continuity everywhere else was like the only show where every character important enough for a name had a clearly defined role on the ship which changed rarely if ever over the course of the show.

Uhh TNG had pretty solid roles.

Captain Picard as, "The Captain"
Commander River as, "Second in Command"
Counsellor Troi as "The Counsellor"
Data who sits at the operations station as "The Operations guy"
Guinynan the barmaid as "The crazy woman who can fight Q a nd has a weird relationship with the captain"

OK we I will give you the last one but the there are pretty clear

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Chomp8645 posted:

I wasn't counting captain/first officer because they are too obvious and the only thing they have to do to fulfill their roles is "give orders". Aside from them only Troi works on that list. Giuyna... guyn... whoopie isn't even part of Starfleet so I'm not sure she counts. I guess she's "civilian bartender" if you really want but she has no official ship function. And what can you really say Data's role is? "Operations" is extremely nebulous and he appears do to whatever the hell he or the captain wants in any given episode/scene. Sometimes he's flying the ship, sometimes he's analyzing stuff like a science officer would, sometimes he's doing engineering stuff with Geordi. He has a title sure, but if you actually look at his actions he's all over the place.

Uhh he sits at the ops console which is basically sensors. He never flies the ship as far as I'm aware. They have him doing all sorts of crazy poo poo because he's a loving android and crazy smart and fast.

It's like how the away team is always riker Worf, and data. AKA the bad rear end commander, the blood thirsty Klingon, and the guy who has the physical strength of like 20 men and is really hard to kill.

Tbh data should just have a ship entirely to himself.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

drilldo squirt posted:

Did they ever explain guinynan?

Yeah. It was loving Whoppie Goldberg all along

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Dream on. Guinan was going to make a complicated drink at him and Q was going to again materialize another lusty Klingon woman for Worf to publicly batter to the deafening silence of the bridge crew.

I think we can all agree that's how we wanted it to go down.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also Worf was raised by Russian Humans not Klingons. How does he know anything about their mating rituals? Or do Russia nd coincidentally beat their wives like a Klingon beats his wife so he just learnt at home.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Oh dear god what have you done.

I can't unsee the hate in Mr. Roshenko.

"Nyet woman! I expect my food to be replicated ready for when I arrive home not 30 seconds after I'm already at the table!"

Mr Roshenko proceed to brutally beat his wife while crying and saying things like "I love you why do you make me do this?" the court heard today.

The jury was shocked when they were told this altercation, and many others like it, happened in front of their adopted Klingon son, Worf, who psychologists agree is likely to grow up with unhealthy ideas of what constitutes a relationship with the opposite sex and will also be prone to violence.

The trial continues.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Apparently I'd never seen "We'll Always Have Paris" before. Data deserved a medal for figuring that time poo poo out and saving the day. And that 49 year old ingénue really should have been wearing a bra.

Data has like more medals then most of the rest of the crew.

Naturally Polowski believed this was due to positive discrimination and he only got them because he was an android.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yes Number 1 I know we could preserve their entire species from becoming extinct without them ever knowing we did it, but we have to think about the Prime Directive.

But sir the Prime Directive has like 47 sub directives, maybe one of those covers this scenario?

I'm not having it Will, we're going to leave those skin baked fuckers on the surface to die and that's that. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to my ready room to masturbate.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also loving lol at this I saw on wikipedia:

quote:

The Temporal Prime Directive is intended to prevent a time traveler (from the past or future) from interfering in the natural development of a timeline. The TPD was formally created by the 29th century, and was enforced through an agency of Star Fleet called the Temporal Integrity Commission, which monitored and restricted deviations from the natural flow of history. However, several Star Trek: Voyager episodes specifically make references to the Temporal Prime Directive that suggest that it applies in the 24th century.

The directive is regarded as "inviolable", and any Star Fleet officer responding to a question regarding their prior actions with words to the effect of "I cannot reply due to the Temporal Prime Directive" would not normally be subject to censure, as long as some form of temporal instability had been sensed, however slight the signs.

"Lieutenant Kitchner, why did you brutally beat Neelix to death with a ladle in full view of the rest of the crew in the canteen?"

"I cannot reply due to the Temporal Prime Directive Sir"

"Checks out, we have a reading of a slight anomaly in space and time"

"Dismissed Lieutenant Kitchner, good work".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

lol if you think I'm nerdy enough to know that in joke. I read it on the wikipedia page for the prime directive.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Who am I to argue with Starfleet regulations? Let him out.

This is the fifth time he's claimed he got involved in time travel and had to murder someone though.

Well that makes sense doesn't it? If you have figured out how to do it once you're more likely to keep time travelling aren't you?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I wonder if the holodeck is affected by the millennium bug?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Voyager's plot-rot after 1999 didn't clue you in?

Captain's Log Stardate 4000.00.0,

Today the crew are relaxing in the holod..... OH gently caress!

Captain's log, supplemental:

OH gently caress! gently caress ME! Oh man, there was a LOT of blood down there. It was loving oozing from underneath the doors. Oh poo poo, I think I can hear Evil Holo Moriaty plotting his escape with Genghis Khan, Khan, and Kim Jong Un.

No matter, I have this covered: Computer. Delete everything in the holodeck and fly the ship to the nearest starbase. Also please inform Starfleet of exactly what happened. Do not let anyone override these commands until we get to the starbase, not even me. Also set up forcefields through the entire ship making sure no one can access to bridge. Oh and make sure that if I give Emergency Command Alpha 2 that you teleport me to a shuttle and immediately open the shuttle bay with no overrides allowed and permanently disable all weapons so I can escape. Finally, if any bad guys turn up tell them we are lowering our shields so they can board and as soon as they lower their shields beam their entire bridge crew into space.

There, I think I covered all the bases.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 3, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
They've never used a UV light in the holodeck. Coincidence? I think not.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
You bet if DS9 was filmed now that Sisko would make some reference to America's first black President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Pththya-lyi posted:

Because Obama sucks at baseball. Basketball's what he's good at, play him at that

These details are lost in the mists of time. They probably thought Obama was famous for his enjoyment of monster truck driving.

• Locked thread