Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

"When I see someone tilting my tables, I shoot the Bastard. That's my policy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I liked the one where Tasha had to marry that racist African tribal caricature

How the gently caress did that get made? Honestly, how do you get a bunch of black people to dress up in quasi-african costumes, act like savages, talk with really, really racist accents, and look through the camera and say, "this is happening!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

/\ Pakleds

"We like things that make us go!"

Semi-Related to the boob talk before, but there was some extra I think who was doing an interview about being on Star Trek and she said that pretty much every female extra had to throw a few socks in her top to fill out the uniforms. The future has managed to eradicate A cups.

Blistex fucked around with this message at Mar 16, 2015 around 22:07

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

whoflungpoop posted:

Pulaski was the realest bitch on the show and ruled and aslo hosed rikers dad

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

It is not surprising since once they added her, she was the only character they actually wrote for.

That and the Doctor. I guess they figured those were the only two cast members who could actually act, so why not. Listening to Robert Beltram talk about his time on the show is hilarious. About how he was miserable and just kept asking for more money, hoping they would kick him off, but they just kept writing cheques.

Ok, someone post the picture of Robert Picardo getting annoyed with some autistic goon that pretty much told him all his cast-mates sucked. I can't find it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

HAHAHA! I need to find that post now, it was just so amazing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Squish posted:

Enterprise was great, had continuity and Hoshi Sato.
You shut your whore mouth.

Linda Park (Korean) playing Hoshi Sato (Japanese)
Garrett Wang (Chinese) playing Harry Kim (Korean)
John Cho (Korean) playing Hikaru Sulu (Japanese)

What's with Star Trek and casting Asians? Seems that George Takei was the only one they got right.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

opus111 posted:

without a doubt. a lot of people involved in trek said that roddenberry's real talent was casting.

I thought his real talent was slaying massive amounts of pussy on the casting couch?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

iraqniphobia posted:

Speaking of those two parter Blu Rays....

Before they released the Blu Rays for those they showed them in movie theaters and I forced my gf to go along with me to the Best of Both Worlds. Some guy came in late and set right next to us and looked like the most typical basement dwelling goon you can imagine. He was probably 300+ pounds and only wearing a regular shirt so half of his gut was hanging out from his shirt and he had sweat pants shorts (sweat shorts?) on. Whatever, I keep my focus on the screen because the Borg look cool as poo poo in HD.

Anyways, after it was over my gf said she was 100% sure the dude was playing with himself the entire time and she couldn't actually watch BoBW because she kept getting grossed out by the goon.

Another Aatrek spotting.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Ramc posted:

Requesting someone find the drinking Kanar with Damar gifs.

I literally took the last five words of your post and pasted it in toGIS.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Anime Curator posted:

Klingon women are a bit hit or miss, but Grillka is hot.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Raku posted:

You need to watch his episode of the Captains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MEYMMDhKk

I wondered how many hours of footage they needed to shoot to get 5 minutes of semi-coherent dialogue out of him.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

THE LOST TNG PILOT http://youtu.be/27MXcQrZc1Y

also nimoy

That's the "Star Wars Holiday Special" of Star Trek.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Eyes on the dog girls.

Didn't the actress that played Hoshi complain that the producers made her wear a shitload of padding? I guess all the women in the 22nd century are at least a B-Cup?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

i borg is cool but the callback to it in descent is p bad.

also my favorite voyager borg thing is when they first realize the borg are even there. i think its some episode where belanna and maybe tom are in a cave together and belanna is in a bad mood

It was on some planet and they found some dead borg drones or something if I'm remembering it correctly. This was one of the 5-7 cool/well done things that happened in the entire run of Voyager.

Blistex fucked around with this message at Jun 4, 2015 around 00:33

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

FrensaGeran posted:

Plot hole: Borg always collect their dead. That's what tipped off the crew about the Borg being weirdos in Descent. Why would there be a mummy Borg to find?

I imagine they understand the concept of "diminishing returns". . . which could be a good description of watching Voyager.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Hate to think of all the backwards poo poo Molly was taught in Bajoran daycare while mom was getting plant samples all day.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Met posted:

If you enjoy Star Trek, you should just muscle through all of Voyager anyway.

That's like having to eat a bucket of poo poo because you like nice asses. The only benefit to watching Voyager is being able to fully appreciate how much everyone hates it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

oldpainless posted:

I've tricked many people into watching Voyager by explaining the character in a skin-tight cat suit with big titties gets the most screen time.

It's funny how Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) and Tricia Helfer (BSG) were only brought on as glorified eye candy for nerds, and both of them ended up being two of the strongest actors in their respective shows.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Mr. Horrible posted:

I like the Enterprise opening. The montage of humanity's transition from bumbling around with gliders to FTL starships is aspirational and hopeful, just like the cheesy power ballad playing in the background.

I guess if you're too cynical and jaded to appreciate that then you're going to get what you deserve want soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjeX5drV9ms

What the gently caress is that poo poo?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

The really annoying thing about BSG is how eventually they started doing this thing where they put stuff in the "Previously on Battlestar Galactica" that didn't happen.

"Previously on Everyone's a Cylon".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

What is the Janeway Maneuver? Repeatedly fall victim to the simplistic wiles of ragged bands of Kazon raiders? Make doe eyes at every tall male Caucasian six foot alien that could star in a Just for Men commercial? Immediate flight into any and every nearby nebula?

That would be getting hit once and harry saying, "our warp drive is out".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Entropic posted:

That klingon guy shouting shakespeare quotes is way more utterly stupid on rewatch than I remembered it being as a kid.

All of the Shakespeare stuff was a huge inside joke about Shatner and Plummer.

Back in the 50's Shatner was Christopher Plummer's understudy at Stratford. They were doing some Shakespearian play, and Plummer hurt himself (banging some chick) and couldn't go on stage, and that was one of Shatner's big breaks.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not even sure it was so much of an inside joke (except maybe only between Shatner and Plummer) as it was the director being a huge fan of old British actors and giggling with glee at being able to film one really chewing the scenery with his favorite Shakespeare quotes.

I think it was the ST:VI Blue Ray that had Nicholas Meyer saying he had heard about the story, and like you said, jumped at the chance to do it. He also said that when he got ST:II he wanted to turn it into "British Navy in Space", and tried to throw in as much Navy stuff as he could, (uniform changes, "running out the guns", boarding whistles, burial at sea, etc.). He also said that he saw Kirk as Horatio Hornblower, and used every bit of creative control he had to make it STII: Master and Commander.

Mr. Horrible posted:

I really disliked most of that movie tbh. Knockoff Khan and Whose Shoes Are They Anyway in particular. But I enjoyed the beginning and the ending, as well as the fact that it was so optimistic about the future. No more war with the Klingons!

I honestly don't know what to say. It's tied for ST:II as the best trek in my book.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

opus111 posted:

what? they did it to piss off kirk. how can you not see this? is it a trick question?

opus111 posted:

look at shatner's reaction. thats the whole point.

did you all turn into data overnight or something?

There are too many Star Wars EU fans in here.

Every line and throw-away joke has to have some sort of hilariously improbably backstory that lets the autistic fans take it exactly at face value instead of using their brains.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

My favorite episode is when the Enterprise picks up a bunch of Irish people and the show keeps reiterating that Irish men are drunk and lazy and Irish women are whores

And it wasn't some sort of alien race that talks with Irish accents, they were the descendants of an all-Irish colony ship. They had to be rescued because they were just too drat stupid to keep society running and then they got deposited on some world full of people who basically couldn't figure out how to sex

That episode gives us Riker's best pickup line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNaqxREbzy4

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

once again lexx proves superior to star trek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4x1K97JZG0#t=35s

Maybe the worst part of that scene (besides the fact that it's a freaking joystick) is that it's mounted in a column that just comes up in the middle of the bridge, nowhere near the Captain's chair or any other one. So whoever uses it has to remain standing "arcade style".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

I forget, but did the episode end with Tuvok and Neelix telling Janeway that shes hosed up? It really should have, and then for the rest of the show they both have a better understanding of eachother, with Neelix toning the whole "lol Vulcan no smile lololol" and Tuvok on occasion paying a bit of lip service to the 'moral boosting' that Neelix likes to do.

• Locked thread