Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
To the guy asking why civilizations didn't progress on the stargate planets it was because the goulds were actively suppressing them and stopping them from progressing as a race. They were basically all enslaved and forced to labor for their "gods".

Also I am pretty sure they explain why Data was fully functioning. I want to say it was because Dr. Sung was hoping that whenever Data was developed enough to have emotions he wanted Data to be able to experience every aspect of it. Even if it's not specifically mentioned in the show, it's not that hard to figure out. Data would be pretty hosed up if he fell in love with someone and couldn't satisfy that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Watching the voyager episode where they create the cardassian holo doctor and the all like "thaT will be impossible!" And Harry Kim is all like "I can do it! Computer: create hologram with the knowledge and personality of this guy" and it's done.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
The captain proton episodes in voyager are probably the worst in all trek. Holy gently caress. The idea of a photonic race was actually kind of interesting, but then they had to encompass it in the stupidest holodeck setting ever. Like, this is literally the last thing I want to watch.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Lol I'm watching voyager, s6e20. At the beginning they carry, by hand, a power transfer requisition all they way to some idiot jerk in engineering or whatever. It's like, dude you in loving space flying faster than light and you can't transfer a file to the dudes computer what

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mr. Horrible posted:

TNG's theme song was always my favorite.

The song itself is ok, but I'm surprised that goons don't give the opening sequence poo poo. It's just the enterprise flying around from alternate angles. Booooring

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Finished voyager. I thought the ending episode was pretty good, although rushed feeling. The relationship between Chakotay and Seven was hard to swallow. It seemed like Chakotay simply wanted to inject Seven with some human nanoprobes of his own. Not that I can blame the guy.

The solution to them getting home seemed like such a cop-out too. The fight with the Borg Queen was neat but I kind of think her character sort of undermines the concept of the Borg. They have one collective consciousness but it's controlled by a single being? Lame.

Anyways, I decided to start TNG again. I don't think Season 1 is that bad. People like to make fun of Code of Honor but racism aside I thought it made an interesting rewatch. I think a lot of you guys can't see past the fact that it's a planet of black people.

The leader of the planet, Lutan, comes from a planet which follows an honor code. The Federation wants a lifesaving vaccine, but if Lutan were to simply give it to them, he would lose honor amongst his people. So Lutan conceives a plan of his own which would give both sides what they want without him showing weakness. That is why he kidnaps Tasha Yar - so that the crew of the Enterprise may rescue her and as means of retribution claim the vaccine. It would be a more honorable solution; until Lutan decided he wanted Yar for his own.

I am glad they got rid of Denise Crosby though after a short time - she is absolutely terrible in almost every scene with extended dialogue. I cringed whenever she gave her little speech about being in the penalty box in Hide and Q.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
I felt the same way about Tuvix. What's more is that the character of Tuvix was way more interesting than Neelix or tuvok separately. I felt it was yet another missed opportunity for the show.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Lol if you think that the societal impetus for drug use is still around. No need to escape becasue there is no pressure, outside of being in Starfleet.

Lol if you think that everyone uses drugs to escape. I mean have you even smoked a weed?

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'd take a captain worf show but honestly I'd rather have a captain riker show.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Don't ruin this for me guys :smith:

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
How the hell do transporters even work without some kind of receiver wherever the destination is? Like on a planets surface for instance.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Wrt Star Trek economy I think many people underestimate the effect that not having poverty would have on society. Right now people work because they have to in order to buy food and shelter as well as provide for their family. Business owners take advantage of this necessity to enhance their own wealth while their workers merely get by. But if there was no poverty then they couldn't be taken advantage of in this way. There would be no reason for that kind of system to exist. You could still work to gain advantage but you'd have to do so by actually being useful.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Lil Peeler posted:

Also WRT replicators, I understand that the computers can make something by analyzing it and breaking it down, but it doesn't do it necessarily well. You might be able to order a plate of space lasagna, but it will still taste like lasagna from Spaghetti Factory or some bullshit chain restaurant. You need to make it yourself if you want it to taste good. That's why art and culture are still actively practiced in the Federation; they're things that computers still can't quite understand. It goes back to the constant "wanna be a real boy" theme that every series has covered to a greater or lesser extent.

But I think you could spend an equal amount of time learning how to "cook" with a replicator, constantly analyzing and refining your "recipe" by changing the program. You wouldn't have to rely on the computer to generate it for you necessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zigmidge posted:

Riker cooks and feeds the unreplicated eggs of another civilization's poultry to his crew mates that exact same season.

Chomp8645 posted:

You know I'm starting to think that maybe the Star Trek series is not 100% consistent.

To be fair you don't have to kill a chicken to eat its eggs; they were also from another planet so it's not as though it was something humans were doing.

That scene only exists so Riker can complain about his relationship with his father, thus setting the mood for the following episode which features papa Riker

• Locked thread