Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Apoplexy posted:

That reminds me of Ronnie Cox playing that awesome captain who told her to start behaving respectably. Goddamn Troi.

That moment had been coming for a while. It was everything it should have been.

Jellicoe: "Oh, and Counselor I've been meaning to speak to you about your... choice of attire. Please would you put on a standard uniform and stop dressing like a loving slag. I can see your tits Lieutenant

Troi: "Yes...Captain"

Deanna mournfully adjusts her cheeky décolletage and goes off to her bed to cry and eat chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

lonesomedwarf posted:

maybe if you could turn the hivemind on and off like if you were on duty it had to be on then 8 hours later you could turn it off and go relax slotting sim chips or cyberdrugs or something. and maybe if the borg were a bit more relaxed I would agreed with you. but they're kind of pushy jerks

I'm not sure about that, the Borg are pretty relaxed, they will just let you wander about checking out their alcoves and babies...however the very second you phaser them or caress their crotch modules they go apeshit. The Borg are so loving chilled out, they send like one cube everytime to take down the entire Federation and when that doesn't work, the Queen is like "Janeway!" and shakes her fist and imagines the Captain of Voyager as her personal slave drone, who she can make deepthroat her sacral vertebrae any day of the week.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

opus111 posted:

please don't say 'laneway' and 'deep throat' in the same sentence again.

How else could her voice sound like that?

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Yes yes but which of them is the gay host?

Probably Tobin

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Ah but that's not proper gay because it wasn't Jadzia having lusty feelings for Lenara Kahn but the Dax symbiont. One of Dax's previous host was Torias Dax who was married to one of the Kahn symbiont's previous hosts. So in a past life, Dax was the husband and Kahn was the wife. Jadzia and Lenara are just along for the ride!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

must be poo poo being the first host a symbiont gets. You don't get any cool knowledge or skills, just memories of the symbiont floating about a pool like a pink turd

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Frakes was all "you should make it more androgynous/manly" and the producers were all "no, that would be gay."

Star Trek doesn't ever go full gay. It would confuse the young men

Full Gay;
human male couple
Men kissing
Butch Lesbians
Gay couple in bed together talking about their day

Lip service gay:

Sexless alien society that is metaphor for gay rights? Riker falls for androgynous alien who just so happens to look like a young woman in her later twenties.
Hot bisexual women kissing for the boys
Same sex love affairs between (female) aliens that are really about a made up alien taboo
Character dresses up as woman and gets kissed by male to his horror
Throwaway dialogue about "co husbands" Never meet these characters.
Kirk and Spock

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Watching "Crossover" and I like that Kira has no idea who Kirk is. Also she should have just left Bashir down in ore processing for a least a month, his season 2 persona is beyond obnoxious plus he could hang out with mirror miles (smiley)

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody every felt any real sympathy for the maquis. Hell, i hardly felt bad for the bajorans.

Deep Space Nine really went out if its way to make most Bajorans extremely unlikable. When they aren't being terrorists or taking part in a mob scene on the promenade, they can usually be found as bigoted shopkeepers, religious fanatics, devil worshipers or isolationists.

But on the other hand, I really like Major Kira and Ro Laren. They're the best

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

opus111 posted:

i dunno but i suspect its something to do with worf because any klingon involvement turns ronald moore into a super saiyan writer and he was the showrunner.

Actually Ira Behr was DS9's show runner and was a huge part of what made it so great. Everyone behind the scenes testifys to Behr's openness to new ideas and him having weekly arguments with Rick Berman to make the show increasingly serialized. There was even a big thing about how much of Nog's leg to take off when he was injured, Berman was horrified at the idea of a Starfleet officer losing his leg in a war.

There's that Ronald D Moore interview where he talks about the massive differences in the Voyager/DS9 writers rooms and how that was due to Ira Behr's influence as show runner. Meanwhile Voyager (Brannon Braga) was content to play it safe and he was a complete oval office to Moore when he came over from DS9.

DS9 always tried to push the envelope and even when an idea didn't always work , at least it was ambitious and didn't rely on loving Borg nano probes!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

Everyone should give it a read. It's really informative and Voyager's contempt for its audience and Trekkies can be summed up by...

In addition, Moore is bothered by the show’s lack of continuity. "The continuity of the show is completely haphazard. It’s haphazard by design. It’s not like they are trying desperately to maintain continuity of the show. They don’t care, and they’ll tell you flat out that they don’t care. Well, that is misreading the core audience. The STAR TREK, hardcore audience loves continuity; they love accumulating data on these ships. They love knitting together all the little pieces, and compiling lists, and doing trivia. That’s been a staple of the STAR TREK culture from the get-go. People really love the details. They love the fact that the details all add up and make one mosaic, and that the universe holds together. When you don’t give a poo poo, you’re telling the audience: don’t bother. Don’t bother to really learn this stuff, because it’s not going to matter next week, anything that happened this week."

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

this thread could increase post efficiency 12% by modulating the graviton waves in the phase converters

That won't work, we've had to reroute power from the primary phase converters to the holodecks...wait why don't we activate the main deflector and emit an coherent tetrayon pulse! If it works then not only will post efficiency be increased by 16% but the resulting radiation will give everyone on decks 1-4 God like powers woooooooo

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Pneub posted:

All he could do was buckle into his dad's weird-rear end ball chair and ride it out

That figures. Worf only likes things that cause him pain like uncomfortable armchairs, prune juice, being in a relationship with Counselor Troi etc

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Harry and Geordi are both pretty bad characters and the closest thing to the goon ideal.

geordi;

Good- is really good with technobabble. Doesn't cheat at poker. Has magic eyes. Data is his best friend. Grew a pretty nice beard for three eps. The Minds Eye. Geordi roll. Played by LeVar Burton

Bad- is angry and bitter with women. Virgin. Is on same emotional level as a hothoused teen and a robot. Met his mother/father/sister once and they were dull. Holographic fuckdoll Dr Leah Brahms. Bit of a brown noser. Was a dick to Scotty even tho Scotty is a pain in the arse, the poor man is very old and everyone he's ever known is dead, give him a break LaForge.

harry;

Good- nice hair. Good at standing for long shifts. Probably not a virgin. Had a girlfriend, yes a real one.

Bad- Tom Paris is his best friend. Horrendous banter. "I'm...I'm locked out!". Acts like Captain Janeway is his mother. Only dies in other realities. Also fell madly in love with a hologram. Favourite Son. Played by Garrett Wang. Moans about being an ensign/being far from home too much..

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Kitchner posted:

It's you.

Out of Geordi and Harry, you are the biggest goon.

hmm I see, so you're saying I should fall for a hologram?

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

the TNG lot should have reprogrammed all of Reg's pervy hololadies so that their skin while looking silky and smooth, actually felt like sandpaper and leaves you raw and bloody. Also when he leans in to kiss his darling holoTroi, they've altered her holo breath so it smells like she's just been sick. Then when he touch her boob, she shits herself.

To stop anyone else on the crew getting addicted to fantasies, they could appointed Data as "Holodeck Manager". He'd keep them PG13

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Horrible posted:

Quark's no hero. He rented Nog's rear end out to pervy Bajoran priests on the regular. That's why he's so hosed up emotionally.

A truly enlightened techno utopia would fully support holodeck programs full of the sickest poo poo imaginable. If that's all it takes to keep Crewman Suder from snapping then it's a small price to pay imo.

If Morn didn't have access to a holo suite that lets him asphyxiate dabo girls, cut them into oblongs and then feed them to a simulation of his mother, then he would go simply mad and kill everyone in Quarks.

Or he'd be forced to travel to Farius Prime and use a blackmarket holo suite run by the Orion Syndicate.

Figaro fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 29, 2015

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Horrible posted:

At the start of the series he was kind of a rules-bound hardass, even going so far as to contradict Picard about when it was appropriate for the captain to go on away missions.

Whoever decided that he should be a big ol' licentious teddy bear was a genius.

It was inevitable. They tried to hide Frakes behind Roddenberry's Riker but it couldent hold. First, there was the beard, then he got husky and eventually at some point during season 3, Frakes exploded out of Riker and never left

Frakes is totally responsible for Riker's charisma and charm. You just need to rewatch season 1 and check out how humourless and dull the writers wrote him as but even then he still had the Frakes twinkle in his eye.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

opus111 posted:

lol why are they 'creepy'? also all Ferengi episodes own.

Cultural relativism be damned but Quark begging his mother to take her clothes off is a little creepy. Plus all those ear masturbation scenes are weird and Quark sexually harassing a rather young looking Dabo girl is not as hilarious as the show thinks it is.

Magnificent Ferengi is pretty good though and also Business as Usual. Steven Berkoff practically devours the habitat ring with his overacting, it's great!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

You can sort of estimate how insane Janeway is likely to be by her hair length. She's relatively sane in the first three seasons with her sensible bun and then her pony tail thing. I'm not a fan of the massive coffered held together by force fields hairstyle of s5-7

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Haven't I been saying how with a utopian society there is I impetus for that stuff?

Homosexuality and thinking you're in the wrong body is corrected in vitro.

Nah, I don't think the federation would believe being gay is a defect that needs to be cured by in vitro manipulation. What is this, the Eugenics Wars!

I like the answer the Roddenberry gave when a bunch of nerds were moaning that their captain was a bald man and why didn't Picard's parents delete the gene for pattern baldness or why didn't Jean Luc get Mr Mott to repolarise his hair follicles or why didn't he just wear a hat all the time so nobody could see the top of his head but everyone would really knows he's a bit thin on top but they're just too polite to voice it.

The official answer is that, by the 24th century, nobody cares.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

except Kirk

Kirk didn't even like wearing glasses, he's not going to fess up to wearing a rug

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Jake Sisko appears to enjoy his life and he hardly does anything except play domjot, drink in Quarks, visit the holo suites, think about attending the Pennington school of writing in New Zealand, maybe knock out an article for the federation news service, drink in Quarks, hang about the promenade upper level, drink in Quarks, fiddle a little a bit with his magnum opus, dates a Dabo girl...

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Kitchner posted:

If I lived on the Enterprise I'd sleep with a phaser under my pillow in case of marauding boarding parties of Klingons, Romulans, or the Borg. In the case of the latter it's there to disintegrate me and my family to stop them being assimilated. Only the main characters survive that.

I'd take my duvet and go hide in the haunted nacelle room from "Eye of the Beholder" because Alien intruders probably won't look there. But you're hosed if you go to Ten Forward or that nondescript corridor set that everyone always walks up and down, definetly going to come across a boarding party there!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Naxuz posted:

Just stay out of Engineering, the Bridge and Ten-forward and you'll be fine. Ten-forward is verboten mostly because there you would have to listen to the bridge staff continuously discuss their boring love lives and other traumas, which might just be embarrassing and boring enough to kill you by itself.

http://youtu.be/I4kpG6tasmk

HE'S BITING THAT FEMALE!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

What if your replicator broke and instead of making you that Bacardi and coke you ordered after a busy shift in engineering, something went wrong with its command pathways and instead it replicated a corrosive acid and pepsi? You'd need to keep a tricorder handy anytime you replicated something because if the replicators are even half as glitchy and accident prone as the holodecks/transporters/data...oh dear. They should have just installed vending machines in the corridors

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Kesper North posted:

So he's European, is what you're saying.

Yup! A healthy work/life balance. We only generally see the tip of the iceberg, I'm guessing most people in the Federation are more like Sisko's dad than Sisko.

The folk who crave space, 8 hour shifts, getting up early and wearing a uniform every day, have the opportunity to go live their regimented lives in Starfleet. Or if you like all that but you're a bit thick, you can go work as a waiter in ten forward

If you don't fancy space adventures or complex mathematics but still like working every day and being busy you can go settle on a starter colony on the edge of federation space where life is hard but rewarding and you can work the land and take your place within a growing community of pioneers.

If you really like science and are a bit weird, you can go live on an isolated spsce station somewhere.

If you really like banquets,small talk and trying to irritate captains, you can go be a federation diplomat

And for people like Jake who are happy just writing/painting/performing music, they can hone their craft and have the time and freedom to do other things as well. Like if Jake has a family, he can spend so much more time with them than if he were a starfleeter. Anytime any of the Starfleet characters mentions their Officer parents or childhoods, it always sounds really messy, unsettled, bit lonely and they come across as borderline socially maladjusted. I mean jesus there was a TNG ep (I forget which one) where Ashley Judd confesses that her first friend growing up was a tricorder and that her childhood was poo poo because her parents were too into their work. Then Wesley admits his friend was a warp coil. No wonder they needed a conselor onboard

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Despite their differences in setting and time period, one of my favourite films ever "The Man Who Would Be King" always remind me of the prime directive cautionary tales that TNG did so well (and often)

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Oh come on, what's wrong with Sisko's dad? He's just a guy with a lot of stories and no filter so basically every old person since the beginning of time. However his clothes should be burnt

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Those extras all look really bored. Maybe he's telling the crocodile story

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Mondian posted:

The only person to share that sentiment was Cakehole, so I wouldn't go attributing her dumb opinion to the entire Federation.

plankton loaf, kelp buds and sea berries.

Mmmmm

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I very recent bought my first Blu ray, season three of TNG and while it's great to have a sharper image and more vivid colours...all the women look like they're wearing clown makeup. Poor Beverley in particular looks like a ugly man in drag at times.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Major Kira shoots Seska in the face and spits on her charred remains during the pilot

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Tujague posted:

Yeah, my second host was an award-winning physicist who liked to play the violin. My first one, uhhhhhh, liked to smoke space crack and have sex with barnyard animals :ughh:

Dax's second host, Tobin was a goon

Or maybe not because it sounds like he had sex at least once

After 7 lifetimes you'd think Jadzia would do really well in a pub quiz

sperg alpha posted:

the second host of the Dax symbiont. (DS9: "The Siege", "Invasive Procedures")

He had an unknown number of children, one of whom was named Raifi, who caused him a number of difficulties over the years. However Tobin could not bring himself to discipline any of his offspring, no matter what they did. (DS9: "Nor the Battle to the Strong", "Afterimage")

He was a vegetarian and was known to bite his nails. (DS9: "Afterimage", "Facets")

Years later, Jadzia Dax felt that Tobin was socially inept and unimaginative, but he was a skilled engineer who was known for his intimate knowledge of phase coil inverters. Tobin once tried to learn some botany, but he didn't have much luck at it – he was the only Dax host to try it. (DS9: "The Siege", "The Wire", "The Siege of AR-558")

He also once tried his hand at learning magic tricks. (DS9: "Rejoined")

One of his hobbies was developing an alternative proof to Fermat's last theorem. (DS9: "Facets")

Tobin once met the famous Cardassian poet Iloja of Prim while the latter was exiled on Vulcan. (DS9: "Destiny")

During Jadzia Dax's zhian'tara in 2371, Miles O'Brien embodied Tobin's memories and personality. When Curzon Dax undertook the ritual, he got Tobin drunk – for the first time in his existence. (DS9: "Facets")

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Ezri might have been a wuss, a feeble space sick sometimes hystercal counselor who barfed when she drank bloodwine but she was the only character in 11 years of Star Trek to finally break it to Worf that the Klingon Empire was basically a bit poo poo.

Ezri Dax posted:

I think that the situation with Gowron is a symptom of a bigger problem. The Klingon Empire is dying; and I think it deserves to die.I tend to look at the Empire with a little more skepticism than Curzon and Jadzia did. I see a society that is in deep denial about itself. We're talking about a warrior culture that prides itself on maintaining centuries-old traditions of honor and integrity. But in reality, it's willing to accept corruption at the highest levels. Who was the last leader of the High Council that you respected? Has there even been one? And how many times have you had to cover up the crimes of Klingon leaders because you were told that it was for the good of the Empire? I... I know this sounds harsh, but the truth is, you have been willing to accept a government that you know is corrupt. Gowron's just the latest example. Worf, you are the most honorable and decent man that I've ever met. And if *you* are willing to tolerate men like Gowron, then what hope is there for the Empire?

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I played final unity on my dad's PC as a child, even though it usually crashed with a fatal error about an hour in. And I watched tng and ds9 on bbc2 on Tuesdays and Wednesday's at 6pm but always missed the first five minutes of every episode because my dad insisted on seeing the news headlines on bbc1 at 6pm after Neighbours. Oh and I had the Star Trek encyclopedia and it didn't even have loving colour pictures.

The early-mid 90s were dark days

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

HD Downside #535, The sheen on Lal's codpiece

Still, much better than that diminutive actor's previous role/costume

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

Wrong. Planet of the twinks is the best planet.

Planet Twink? More like Planet of the six Amazon women with Big 80s hair and that one butterface twink guy who looks like a ginger lizard. What a crap planet! Maybe the outrageous okona will save me :heysexy:

Even if he does look distractingly like Mac from Always Sunny

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I just remembered that Riker/Troi sex scene in Nemesis and vomited. I'd really rather not ever see anyone on the Enterprise D having sex or being mind raped. Keep that poo poo in the arboretum

Oh dad...mum

Figaro fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Oh well, Cetacean Ops it is! We can reenact that infamous scene from the late 20th century classic "Showgirls"

• Locked thread