Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ramagamma posted:

I find it hilarious when people say they despise TotalBiscuit.

It's kind of like the video-game podcast equivalent of kid's in the 90's saying it was uncool to support Manchester United.

Celebrity athletes are often quite some fuckers, but I don't remember Beckham campaigning for "ethics in sports journalism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I can't imagine why anyone might find a guy who unironically posted this or this completely insufferable.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

This is still my favorite thing TB has ever written: http://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/1xrx27/in_light_of_tb_abandonning_his_own_subreddit/cfe3rgc
I shall quote the most relevant thing so you don't have to read it.

quote:

I've read so many people with their "advice", oh... you should get a thicker skin! You should just ignore it! Those people have no idea of the volume of it all, or how constant it is, it never stops, it's day in day out 24/7, no end in sight noise. So many people talking at once... It's death by a thousand cuts. That thick skin isn't invincible, occassionally it buckles and when it does I tend to react badly. I'm not sure you actually understand just how hosed up I am. My hair is going grey, not to mention it's falling out. Yeah, my hair is grey at 29. Great right? I'm pretty sure I have chronic health problems that have been made far worse by stress. I'm even worried one of them might be life-threatening and I'm getting really paranoid about it. I loving eat because I'm sad or angry or whatever, I have days where what should be a dream job is something I don't even want to think about doing.

This is before he found out he had cancer and GamerGate was a thing. But oh, it's about ethics in journalism, it's not about harassing people on and outside of the internet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wasn't he rectally bleeding for ages and thought it was because of his "online stress" which of course then turned out to be his butt cancer when he finally bothered to go and get it checked out?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kirbysuperstar posted:

turned out to be his butt cancer when he finally bothered to go and get it checked out?

Yay, shaming people for visting doctors, arn't we a gaudy bunch.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

No we're shaming him for being a loving dumbass who didn't think it was a big deal when, y'know, his anus started spontaneously bleeding

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For the record I don't like totalbiscuit but if you had ever known any one with cancer you wouldn't find what happened to him funny. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ramagamma posted:

More like shaming him before not going to see one earlier when he had such severe health issues, instead of blaming them on mean internet comments. And then he became part of a hategroup that goes far beyond mean internet comments not even a year later.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ramagamma posted:

Uh, no? Not even remotely? In fact the utter opposite?

Jippa posted:

For the record I don't like totalbiscuit but if you had ever known any one with cancer you wouldn't find what happened to him funny. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I have leukemia myself, and you're right, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. He's still an idiot for not going and getting a bleeding anus checked out by a doctor for way the hell too long.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kirbysuperstar posted:

He's still an idiot for not going and getting a bleeding anus checked out by a doctor for way the hell too long.

I dunno like. quite a few posters here obviously not enquired with their doctors about why faecal matter is coming out their mouths.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I don't get the impression that we are disliking him just for being popular, Ramagamma.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jippa posted:

I'm not wishing it on anyone either, just that the irony is positively palpable in this situation. also, he now uses it as a get-out-of-jail-free card when arguments don't go his way("well, enough bickering for me, time to head in for chemo" and such), which is straight up offensive

Basically he's despicable and it's a bummer he cohosts with Jesse on that podcast because I like Jesse

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

I dunno like. quite a few posters here obviously not enquired with their doctors about why faecal matter is coming out their mouths.
You're allowed to like the Internet video game man.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
TotalBiscuit is an idiot and his mouth spews filth and grime but let's maybe leave his life-threatening illness out of it??

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

TotalBiscuit is an idiot and his mouth spews filth and grime but let's maybe leave his life-threatening illness out of it??

We won't win the video game war with this attitude.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

Agreed.

loving up your health is a goon staple. Standing shoulder to shoulder with a Nazi, rape advocate and pro-slavery nut job is a different matter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Since when has John Carmack been a podcaster?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

HMS Boromir posted:

Not that I disagree w/ the spirit of this post, but in fairness he doesn't leave his life-threatening illness out of his internet arguments either

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Reminder that TB's first post on SA was a "check out my website" and casually mentioning that he has an IQ of 170 and is a member of Mensa or something.

One of the first replies was something along the lines of "you can't be that smart if you thought that posting that was going to be met with anything outside of mocking".

He also had some trite, awful D&D post that was probably about "Ethics of exterminating all the Jews" or something.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Phone posted:

Reminder that TB's first post on SA was a "check out my website" and casually mentioning that he has an IQ of 170 and is a member of Mensa or something.
Possibly the funniest part, the little cherry on top of that comedy sundae, was the fact he signed the post.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
To give him credit, standing out in this forum for being too self-righteous, smarmy, and bizarrely humorless is an impressive feat.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

And during Peak D&D at that.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Mierenneuker posted:

This is still my favorite thing TB has ever written: http://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/1xrx27/in_light_of_tb_abandonning_his_own_subreddit/cfe3rgc
I shall quote the most relevant thing so you don't have to read it.
Holy poo poo, I already thought he was a prick when he suggested women that got rape and death threats were taking things too seriously, and actively encouraged his fans to dogpile on journalists he didn't like. Now I can't believe that he previously wrote a big post about how people harassing him destroyed him emotionally.

But then this is the guy who thinks racism doesn't exist in England so I guess it's not a shock that he only sees things in the scope of his own experience.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Not that I disagree w/ the spirit of this post, but in fairness he doesn't leave his life-threatening illness out of his internet arguments either

This is a really good point. Though he only brings it up from time to time, his fans, which he wields like a weapon, often bring it up.

I don't want him to have cancer, of course, but I hate that such a regressive, egotistical prick is considered a spokesman for the hobby by many. Honestly, I've never read anything by him that didn't have me screaming "Shut the gently caress up already" in my head.

It's also really obvious to me that his gamergate wagon hitching was not only due to his game as product viewpoint (shaders!), but also a crassly commercial move.

In summary, dude is gross and not harmless.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Shawn Elliot is on Patrick Klepek's podcast.

I don't think the actual episode is up yet though.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/inventory-management/id968634978?mt=2

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Got a non-itunes link?

e: Great, thanks!

sub supau fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 7, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://simplecast.fm/podcasts/1028/rss

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jippa posted:

Shawn Elliot is on Patrick Klepek's podcast.

I don't think the actual episode is up yet though.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/inventory-management/id968634978?mt=2

I didn't know Patrick had a podcast.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

Tae posted:

It's basically a continuation of his Coffee Time and Dump Truck stuff from Giant Bomb.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tae posted:

Neither did I until today.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Awesome! News to me, too.

I loved the Interview Dump Truck; Patrick Klepek is good at gabbing with people.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Awesome! News to me, too.

I'm going to check this out because they talk about Resident Evil. I have always loved, and sympathized with, Shawn Elliot's apologia for later day Resident Evil titles. Yes, I'm the guy who had fun playing RE6. Go ahead and shoot me and get it over with.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

As a preview to the next Abject Suffering, I present the Good Bad Flicks take on "The Crow City of Angels"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24xE1TlpYe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPzpRs3UqJo

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The fact that there is an entire digression on the various Cure OSTs probably makes this one of my favorite Abject Sufferings.

("Burn" is still a good song, I will fight anyone who disagrees.)

edit: oh my god

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 8, 2015

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
TB's cancer is in remission so obviously some of you goons didn't cross your fingers when you wished it on him.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It's good that his cancer is going away. It doesn't make him less of a prick.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Jonny Nox posted:

As a preview to the next Abject Suffering, I present the Good Bad Flicks take on "The Crow City of Angels"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24xE1TlpYe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPzpRs3UqJo

Sweet, this looks a lot like the classic Highlander: The Last of the MacLeods for the Jaguar CD.

edit: or Perfect Weapon or Time Commando or any other game that tried to apply the Alone in the Dark/Resident Evil style to an action game. Such a bad idea!

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 8, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ramagamma posted:

TB's cancer is in remission so obviously some of you goons didn't cross your fingers when you wished it on him.

Good? you're a loving weirdo

Woffle posted:

I'm going to check this out because they talk about Resident Evil. I have always loved, and sympathized with, Shawn Elliot's apologia for later day Resident Evil titles. Yes, I'm the guy who had fun playing RE6. Go ahead and shoot me and get it over with.

I didn't play 6 but Resident Evil 5 was totally okay and I think it's weird that somebody could love 4 and despise 5

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I didn't play 6 but Resident Evil 5 was totally okay and I think it's weird that somebody could love 4 and despise 5

I didn't despise 5 but wasn't really a fan either. #5 felt like I was playing a tomb raider / uncharted game more than RE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Ignore Rammin Grammy, he likes to cruise around on a bunch of threads and show how edgy he is by telling everyone how much he likes the trash crafts made by garbage monsters shaped like humans. Tobal Bizkit included.

• Locked thread