Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
So what game takes Super Metroid's place in the "break glass in case of emergency" slot?

I guess FF4 has always been up there too but with all the jrpg fatigue you've both expressed I could see it not quite filing that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Song For The Deaf posted:

We're ready to announce the game we're covering on episode 100 of Watch Out for Fireballs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGM20MejGGg

Special thanks to forums user AllisonByProxy for creating this awesome trailer.

I had a lot of fun making this for you guys and I cannot wait to hear the episode. This is one of my favorite games of all time so I really hope you give it the appropriate amount of sugar. Keep up the good work!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Timett posted:

I guess FF4 has always been up there too but with all the jrpg fatigue you've both expressed I could see it not quite filing that role.

They're replacing both of themselves with me and I'm doing the FF4 episode alone

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Zombies' Downfall posted:

They're replacing both of themselves with me and I'm doing the FF4 episode alone

A++ Would listen.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

AllisonByProxy posted:

A++ Would listen.

Second.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

....traitors.

I don't know what's up there with Super Metroid but three-four years is a long time to figure something out. It's also a long time to salve some JRPG fatigue.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I had a few guesses as to what the 100th episode could have been.

My first guess was Super Mario Bros 3, then I saw that the mystery 100th episode was paired with I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream and thought it'd be an adventure game like Monkey Island.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Well I guess that's an excuse to finally play Super Metroid and find out what the fuss is all about.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Super Metroid has some of the most perfect platforming, music, atmosphere, story, and especially graphics of any 16-bit game ever made. It's irrelevant how long it is, some people hold that against it, and if you were buying it in cartridge form on release day maybe I could understand. But now it's what, 10 bucks on the virtual console? Easily one of the best purchases I made on my Wii.

I've still got it on a cartridge and still go back to it every couple years, it holds up. My friend bought it on the Wii and couldn't get into it, so handed me the controller and I just 100%'d it in like an hour and a half from memory, even just watching it he said it was worth the price of admission. :v:

Some folks might balk at my mention of "story" up above but I feel like Super Metroid carries its story far better than most games. Not a single word is spoken past the prologue, yet it still contains a narrative throughout; the hunt for the Baby Metroid. It's sparse, for sure, but sparseness doesn't make something bad.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 22, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It really does stand the test of time. It has inspired so many games, but still it stands head and shoulders above them all, especially in terms of the way it communicates to the player. Pretty much every indie retro metroidvania could be measurably improved if it used a similar economy of words instead of constantly vomiting exposition. I'm looking at you, Axiom Verge.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm just gonna say AGDQ 2014 and write via contact for the rest of this dumb post.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phone posted:

I'm just gonna say AGDQ 2014 and write via contact for the rest of this dumb post.
What? Are you having a stroke?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Honestly, I played Super Metroid for the first time a few years ago and it was a chore to finish. It just felt super clunky and floaty compared to the Marios and Mega Mans (Mega Men?) I was playing in the early 90s instead, over even more recent 2D Metroids like Fusion and Zero Mission. I'd probably just chalk that up to when I first experienced it relative to other games but I'd be surprised if it's as good as you remember.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Captain Invictus posted:

What? Are you having a stroke?

Ugh, the AGDQ 2014 Super Metroid 4-way race.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Honestly, I played Super Metroid for the first time a few years ago and it was a chore to finish. It just felt super clunky and floaty compared to the Marios and Mega Mans (Mega Men?) I was playing in the early 90s instead, over even more recent 2D Metroids like Fusion and Zero Mission. I'd probably just chalk that up to when I first experienced it relative to other games but I'd be surprised if it's as good as you remember.

Iiiiiiiiiiit totally is. And I personally prefer the floaty jumping to Fusion/ZM. Samus should be cumbersome, she's a walking tank.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The floaty thing I feel like is a recent complaint, I literally had never heard people refer to it that way before. It's part of the game, but once you understand the mechanics of it, it works perfectly. It's not clunky, it works the way it works inside the design of its own game.

Probably the only complaint I have about Super Metroid, which subsequent 2D metroids fixed, is not being able to begin spinning midair again to walljump and such before hitting the ground(worst case of this is in the walljump tutorial area with the three little aliens). But that's such a trivial thing and so situational that it's barely relevant.

Phone posted:

Ugh, the AGDQ 2014 Super Metroid 4-way race.
What about it

You're posting all weird man

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

My brain is still in working order, so I'm happy to speak for Phone since I goddamn love that video:

The Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 Super Metroid race was an absolutely fantastic piece to watch. Very close and exciting, and showed off a lot of weird quirks that even veteran metroid players wouldn't know outside of the speed running scene. Absolute pro-watch.

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0fEc2PeSI

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 22, 2015

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

BSC dudes, have you ever considered having EpicNameBro on as a guest? Next to you guys he's easily my favourite soulsman, he has great insight and a pretty unique perspective having worked on the past two official guides, including fighting for the inclusion of a lore index to help us all with our theorycrafting.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Akuma posted:

BSC dudes, have you ever considered having EpicNameBro on as a guest? Next to you guys he's easily my favourite soulsman, he has great insight and a pretty unique perspective having worked on the past two official guides, including fighting for the inclusion of a lore index to help us all with our theorycrafting.

Back in the day I asked him to be on the show and he said yes but then went silent when I followed up. At the time I know he was going through some heavy personal poo poo. I plan on trying again this season but I'm not necessarily expecting him to. Would be neat though. I like him too.

As far as Super Metroid, I know it's controversial, but I think it might be the only good original Metroid game. The first one is neat but too obtuse, the 2nd as well (coupled with some truly awful arbitrary gatekeeping and a camera that is too pushed in). Fusion and Prime present some of the clunkiest storytelling in gaming (especially fusion), and Other M...

A lil more about Prime: I know a lot of people love it but it felt extremely tedious to me on replay. There is an element of environmental storytelling (nothing on the level of Souls but it's sort of there) but that was undercut, for me, by the logs you find. They weren't only overt but they were boring. I think the Chozo are really, really boring when you spell them out (sort of like Wolverine). People who say that Prime feels like a 3D Super Metroid baffle me.

That leaves Zero Mission, which I also think is pretty good, but is obviously based on the original title.

Part of my love for Super Metroid is that it feels unique in the series to me, not just in terms of tone and formula, but in quality.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Even two years later, people are still mad about how we treated Metroid Prime. I stand by the things I said, but it's funny how much we riled folks up.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Song For The Deaf posted:

Even two years later, people are still mad about how we treated Metroid Prime. I stand by the things I said, but it's funny how much we riled folks up.

Oh look at you, still trying to pretend that two evil shitlord doppelgangers didn't hijack your podcast for an episode to poo poo all over god-tier video game Metroid Prime. :rolleyes:

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

I played Super Metroid for the first time like two years ago, and concluded that it's a really, really good game. I'm sure I'm tainted by original Metroid nostalgia, but still.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Super Metroid is one of maybe five games that I actively lament my inability to ever play for the first time again, rip zapjackson.

Have any of the Duckfeed casts or Idle Thumbs ever fielded "what video games do you most wish you could go back and play for the first time again"? This would actually be a pretty good user response question for WOFF or The Level imo. Or maybe it was done like a year ago and I just don't remember.

I really envy the people playing Bloodborne without prior experience with any Souls games.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I loved Prime and it was my first Metroid game, so the obvious solution is that I lock myself in my apartment for the weekend and marathon both back-to-back.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Given the absolutely unexpected takes you (Duckfeed) guys have on most games, really looking forward to seeing how Bad Rats goes.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

To back up Kole and Gary about Prime...I always thought that game was not great, and when they did the episode, I went in expecting to roll my eyes a lot and left very satisfied. :)

You can score points for disliking popular games too!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I remember that Metroid Prime episode of WoFF being the first one I strongly disagreed with, then I went back and tried to re-play Metroid Prime, that game has not aged well.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

I remember that Metroid Prime episode of WoFF being the first one I strongly disagreed with, then I went back and tried to re-play Metroid Prime, that game has not aged well.

I replayed Metroid Prime when it was released on Wii U this winter and I was essentially in a constant state of wonder at how well it holds up as a literally perfect game.

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

I replayed it a little while ago expecting this to be the case and found I still mostly liked it and most of the complaints I remember Gary and Kole having seemed to be absurd to me. I'm not sure why, but people seem to have wildly different experiences with Prime in particular.

WOFF should start another Summer of Darkness and play Prime 2. Maybe it'll loop around and they'll love having to manage ammo for basic beam weapons or something.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pinterest Mom posted:

I replayed Metroid Prime when it was released on Wii U this winter and I was essentially in a constant state of wonder at how well it holds up as a literally perfect game.

'Metroid Prime', 'literally perfect'.

Nah sorry can't see the connection.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 24, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ramagamma posted:

'Metroid Prime', 'literally perfect'.

Nah sorry can't see the connection.
Opinions are subjective and you're being a pube about it

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Opinions are subjective and you're being a pube about it

Hey Captain Invictus, you should watch Guyver, it's pretty cool.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Wait...

What if they wind up hating Super Metroid?

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 24, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ramagamma posted:

Hey Captain Invictus, you should watch Guyver, it's pretty cool.
I actually had the entire boxed set but my lovely roommate stole it before I could watch it when I kicked them out!

Also this is not the Giant Bomb thread, and thus is not appropriate for discussing anime in!!!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Wait...

What if they wind up hating Super Metroid?

Not gonna happen. :smug:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Woffle posted:

Not gonna happen. :smug:

Your record is two for two on hating well regarded Metroids, buster :colbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
re: Keen talk on the WoFF extrasode - holy poo poo you guys didn't see the bonus level in Armageddon Machine? Let me show you what was meant about Scottish racism, even if that term's a little strong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSDRr-i0Qko&t=105s

It's arguably the single worst level in the game, because at least everything else makes you move around and explore to some degree. This is just a giant pit you have to go up and down over and over again for a few keys, unless you can pull off a pogo trick/ride a shot upwards to skip over the required gem and get the "better" ending*. And it's all to a really, really poor synthesized bagpipe score.

* Destroy the fuse at the top of the stage rather than use the exit, and the Shikadi get fined for double-parking in the ending because their ship won't take off anymore.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I never really got into any Metroid games (tried Super and Prime,) but I love Symphony of the Night to death. I think the light RPG elements and loot made it work for me.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

re: Keen talk on the WoFF extrasode - holy poo poo you guys didn't see the bonus level in Armageddon Machine? Let me show you what was meant about Scottish racism, even if that term's a little strong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSDRr-i0Qko&t=105s

It's arguably the single worst level in the game, because at least everything else makes you move around and explore to some degree. This is just a giant pit you have to go up and down over and over again for a few keys, unless you can pull off a pogo trick/ride a shot upwards to skip over the required gem and get the "better" ending*. And it's all to a really, really poor synthesized bagpipe score.

* Destroy the fuse at the top of the stage rather than use the exit, and the Shikadi get fined for double-parking in the ending because their ship won't take off anymore.

That's pretty special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
As someone who spends as much time listening to podcasts about video games as playing them, I am down with the slow transition to the Idle Thumbs zoo crew. Also nice Tokyo Jungle deep cut, I loved that game but never got far enough to be a bad rear end animal.

• Locked thread