Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
And all it got was this lazy, lazy thread.

Mierenneuker posted:

Should have waited until the Ides of March for the new thread.

SUCK IT I DID THIS THIS TIME no I didn't I slept through all of march 15th between graveyard shifts

Idle Thumbs (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
Idle Thumbs doesn’t follow any particular podcasting format, mainly covering the games they are playing and articles of discussion, be they news or not. Kickstarter brought them back in force, and they now comprise a "cabal" of shows, including the original Thumbs (weekly), Three Moves Ahead (also weekly, see below) and plenty of other 'casts. Easily the show I would recommend if you want anything beyond discussion of the prior week's gaming news.
Host: Chris Remo
Cast: Rotates, but commonly includes 2+ of the following: Jake Rodkin, Sean Vanaman, Danielle Riendeau, Nick Breckon, Steve Gaynor
Links: Site iTunes RSS Twitter

Three Moves Ahead (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
This show is about all manners of strategy games across all platforms. It's quite well-spoken, comes in at a good length per week, and is quite good at avoiding repeating itself in topics. Tends to have rotating guests with some frequency, and episodes can cover broad topics or game-specific discussion from week to week.
Host: Rob Zacny
Cast: Tom Chick, Bruce Geryk, Julian Murdoch, Troy Goodfellow
Links: Site iTunes RSS

eSports Today (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
A podcast focused on introducing and recapping the electronic-sport revolution, in any and all forms it may take. A pretty effective introduction and explanation of things you might have only heard about in passing but want more depth than most game podcasts will give you.
Hosts: Rob Zacny, Andrew Groen

Tone Control/Designer Notes (members of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
Ex-Thumb Steve Gaynor's bimonthly interview podcast (now retired)/Soren Johnson's monthly interview podcast (still ongoing). .
Host: Steve Gaynor/Soren Johnson
Links: Site/Site iTunes/iTunes RSS/RSS

Watch Out For Fireballs! (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
Biweekly. Sort of like a video game book club: they announce the next podcast's topic, give you two weeks to play the game and give some input, and discuss their own experiences/quote some of the reader feedback for discussion. The hosts have been seen posting in these threads and solicit content from here too, so that's cool.
Hosts: Gary Butterfield and Kole Ross

Abject Suffering (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
Weekly thanks to a convenient Patreon. Sort of like the dark twin to Watch Out For Fireballs' in-depth discussion, Gary and Kole are 'assigned' lovely games by listeners which they must play for 30 minutes minimum before the show, and it tends to become more improv comedy than actual discussion a lot of the time. If you've ever wanted to hear grown men discuss the Dark Gift and whether or not Dark Regifting is considered an acceptable practice, this is the show for you.

Bonfireside Chat (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
A sister podcast to the above Watch Out For Fireballs, focused on the Souls games, their predecessors the King's Field games, and a variety of other Souls-esque topics between major releases. Almost a book-club style show where they'll cover a stage or two each episode and hope to get listeners playing along/discussing it for themselves.

The Level (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
A general video game show, covering current games, news, and general discussion topics with audience participation. Hosted by forums user Song for the Deaf.
Hosts: Kole Ross, Ben Merkel, Dennis Furia, and David Moneysmith

Check It Out, Comrade! (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
If The Level and WoFF had a weird, inbred cousin and it ended up with some kind of genetic disorder that gave it laser-focus on indie games, this would be a David Cronenberg film. But it's actually a podcast and it's a lot less fluidy and disgusting than I made it sound!
Hosts: Nick Glauber and Gary Butterfield

Retronauts (affiliate of USGamer)
The latest incarnation of the podcast that survived 1UP's collapse, Retronauts focuses on... well, classic games. If none of the hosts know enough about a topic from experience, you'd better believe they'll research it or find someone who CAN speak to the subject. I absolutely adore this and I'm going to stop gushing now. Give it a try if you never have and enjoy looking down memory lane/learning about something that might have slipped past you years back. Probably due to their hosts' working there, is now an associate of USGamer.
Hosts: Jeremy Parish, TV's Bob Mackey

From US to You! (affiliate of USGamer)
Weekly(ish) discussion show from USGamer, usually in a shorter vein and a more focused discussion (generally punctuated by the Kat Bailey Sports Minute out of nowhere) from episode to episode. Just began, still finding its feet, so it's kind of hard for me to give a simple summary. Try it if you like some of their regulars, though.
Host: Jeremy Parish
Guests: a panel consisting of some of the following from week to week - Bob Mackey, Kat Bailey, Jaz Rignall, others
Links: Site iTunes RSS Soundcloud

Axe of the Blood God (affiliate of USGamer)
Weekly (so far) RPG-focused podcast. The successor to prior shows Roleplayer's Realm (RIP Gamepro) and Active Time Babble (RIP 1UP), Kat Bailey goes for the hat trick in reviving the show under a new name at a new site. I pray to god this one lasts, because we have yet to get Bob Mackey to christen it by shooting Kingdom Hearts in the kneecaps verbally.
Host: Kat Bailey

Video Games Hot Dog
Humorous podcast from the creators of Kingdom of Loathing. Includes some discussion of board games, puzzles and IF (interactive fiction/text adventures). The Monkees to Idle Thumbs' Beatles. Occasionally gets splashed with cold water and becomes Video Games Taco.
Hosts: Zack Johnson, Kevin Simmons, Riff Conner, Jim Crawford

The Crate & Crowbar
A PC-centric podcast which is spoken highly of and usually a lot more laser-focused than most of these. Just getting to the point of improving their audio gear, which I guess was a single mic on a table before now? It's not the worst you're gonna hear by any means, though.
Cast: Tom Francis, Graham Smith, Marsh Davies, Tom Senior, Chris Thursten

Giant Bombcast
The Giant Bomb crew discuss what they are playing, preview impressions of upcoming titles, gaming news, and wild tangents. what the actual gently caress, Dan Ryckert. For the most part you may as well take Bombcast chat into the Giant Bomb thread in Rapidly Going Deaf. (Yes, it is intentional that this thread is in Games and that one is in RGD. Mods moved them both.)
Host: Ryan Davis Jeff Gerstmann Brad Shoemaker
Cast: Drew Scanlon, Dan Ryckert, Jason Oestreicher

Giant Beastcast
Giant Bomb East (or "Giant BEast") consists of a bunch of people who are on the opposite coast of Giant Bomb. I like these people more and their actual willingness to edit means I actually listen to this one as opposed to the Bombcast. It's good! Try it. (It makes me miss Scott Sharkey and his 1UP shows, though. Alex Navarro: no Scott Sharkey)
Cast: Vinny Caravella, Alex Navarro, rotating third chair

General discussion shows about games.

Wild Guesses
Just as a lot of ex-1UP podcasts rose from the ashes at USGamer, the ex-crew of Gamespot Gameplay now find themselves all making podcasts again for the internet. I like all of these people, so unsurprisingly, I enjoy this podcast, even if it's a little rougher due to being done out of pocket rather than in a studio.
Cast: Tom Mc Shea, Carolyn Petit, and Kevin VanOrd

Isometric
Hosted by three women who proceeded to become yet another set of ex-5by5 refugees within the first year of their show existing, Isometric focuses on talking about video gaming from a different perspective. Includes lots of in jokes about hand turkeys and Georgia Dow being an incredibly polite Canadian serial killer, and on some weeks a lot of really frustrated laughing.
Cast: Brianna Wu, Maddy Myers, Georgia Dow, and Steve Lubitz

:norway: RadCrew Show Note: This podcast is NOT in English.
Grab some Lutefisk, and relax on your nearest fjord as fellow goon Cellophane S brings you all the gaming news you need with a Scandinavian twist.
Cast: Cellophane S and I’m guessing a bunch of Norwegian dudes.
Links: Site RSS

Gamers With Jobs Conference Call
Discussion of current games, news, boardgames, etc. Your bog-standard gaming podcast, hopefully you like the people in question. Done via Skype, so that's weird for some folks.
Host: Shawn Andrich
Cast: Sean Sands, Julian Murdoch, Cory Banks, Robert Borges

On The Stick
It's another 4 guys talking about games podcast, but they cover a lot of games other shows don't. Only knocks against it are that it doesn't seem to have a set schedule, and episodes can be talking about games and events from a month or longer ago.

One Life Left
UK show. It's run by an independent radio station in London (Resonance FM) and is run like a radio show, not a podcast. It's hard to pin down exactly what that means, but there's a different feel. They have sweet commissioned chip tunes interspersed throughout, if you're into that sort of thing, and run radio style news sections and interviews.
Hosts: Ste Curran, Simon Byron, Ann Scantlebury

These podcasts focus on a specific topic, system, genre, and/or do not follow the traditional format.

Chrontendo/Chronturbo/Chronsega
Video podcast updating sporadically, focusing on one man ("Dr. Sparkle") playing every game from the 8-bit era (on the Famicom/NES, Turbo-Grafx, and Sega Master System, specifically) in release order. It's quite well-produced and researched and worth giving a try.
Host: Dr. Sparkle

Roguelike Radio
A podcast about roguelikes. The regular attendees are pretty much all roguelike developers, but try to involve members of the wider roguelike community if talking about a specific game. Have also interviewed some of the bigger names in roguelikes (such as Glen Wichmann) and roguelike-likes (such as Edmund McMillen and Derek Yu).
Host: Ryan Boyd.

Gaming History 101
It's Retronauts gone casual. It's live, takes a topic of gaming history and discusses it, but covers different ground from Retronauts (VHS consoles for example), with their broadcast's chat contributing on occasion. Their YouTube page is different from the podcast and largely hosts the occasional let's play and reviewing of games, but is included for good measure.
Hosts: Fred Rojas, Jamalais
Official Site Alt Site Podcast Site iTunes RSS YouTube

8-4 Play
Biweekly. 8-4 is a localization company bringing games from Japan to Western Markets. They also do a podcast covering games, and Japan. Tend to lean a little more guarded on some topics because it's still their job and they work with a lot of people being discussed in the news.
Cast: Mark MacDonald, John Ricciardi, Hiroko Minamoto

Vidjagame Apocalypse
A comedic show about video games. Every episode begins with a "top 5" list of some absurd variety, and then spins off into discussion of recent news or whatever comes to mind from the cast.
Host: Mikel Reparaz
Links: Site RSS Twitter

Hyperbolic Game Chamber
Operates on the core conceit of "Because game plots are too crazy not to talk about". Doesn't focus exclusively on bad titles, but instead chooses to just spotlight one title per week with an utterly batshit plot to recount, with the two hosts generally covering branching narratives by dividing the work between themselves. This has become one of my favorites because they gleefully just freewheel through things from moment to moment. Listen as a discussion of entirely unrelated games turns into theories that Albert Wesker is secretly the gaming equivalent of Randall Flagg.
Cast: "Jared" and "Greg", if there's a more in-depth name anywhere I never found/heard it

VGMpire
From the same network as Vidjagame Apocalypse, greatly resembles 1UP's The Sound Test, wherein the works of a composer or series would come up. Lacks the soothing "Quiet Storm" DJ voice of Ray Barnholt, but don't let that stop you from trying it out.

Top Score
It's a weekly show where host Emily Reese interviews people involved in composing the music for video games. It's a bit public radio-y, for obvious reasons, but it's an interesting look at a side of games that doesn't get much real attention. More recent episodes have been interviews with Winifred Phillips, composer for Little Big Planet 3 and Assassin's Creed Liberation; Jason Graves for Evolve and The Order; Peter McConnell for Grim Fandango and Hearthstone; Jukio Kallio for Luftrausers; and Ben Prunty for FTL.
Cast: Emily Reese and weekly guest
Links: Twitter Site iTunes RSS

Sound of Play
From the gents behind Cane and Rinse (which is, for the moment, in the 'please fix this up' section below because it's gently caress o'clock in the morning), this one seems to be a bit more broad than some of the VGMpire/Sound Test themed shows are/were.

Bleeps 'n' Bloops
Man I don't even know, you guys found like 20 of these while I was comatose/at work.

Game Audio Podcast
See? Jesus christ.

Super Marcato Bros.
I really need to do some due-diligence on these later. For all I know, one or more of you have tricked me into pulling some kind of Death to Smoochy-like thing where I just linked a weird euro-composer-supremacist site or some poo poo.

Laser Time
From the network that brought you Vidjagame Apocalypse, another excellent show (which occasionally feature's TV's Bob Mackey of USGamer/Retronauts). Not a games podcast, it's more general pop-culture based, with each episode having a theme (sometimes game-related), but mentioned because if I don't put this here, I'd look like a hypocrite for adding...

No More Whoppers
Features Ray Barnholt and Alex Fraioli. Not solidly gaming-related, more of a comedy show from two friends (think a My Brother, My Brother and Me-type show). Since Ray is an ex-1UP writer and still a Retronauts regular (where they occasionally promo this for him) it is totally staying in the OP.

Retsutalk
A podcast about whatever the hell they come up with from episode to episode run by forum users Slowbeef and Diabetus, who regularly pull in other SA Let's Players/internet folks as guests to discuss their content and to have general video game discussions. Topics have included chatting with other SA/Let's Play folks, random games one or the other are exceedingly fond of, or Breaking Bad. Arguably the least regular show in this entire OP.

The stuff people brought up in the twilight of the last thread hoping others would give it a shot. I haven't heard any of these yet, so if some suck or are astounding, do tell!

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MinibarMatchman posted:

edit: also what the heck, the FF game was on the Wii? I have never heard of it before now but apparently it won best Wii RPG from IGN in 2008 (how many RPGs were really on the Wii?) Now I'm really curious about it.

It also had an "enhanced" port to the DS that never came out here, and added entirely new dungeons/a new character to play as.

Ever wanted to be a gun-toting Cid taking on an endless dungeon while crafting new shotguns? Because that's a thing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Also speaking of Abject Suffering: I will entirely change that description if you want, it was just I listened to the Bebe's Kids episode at work that night before making the new thread.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Kurtofan posted:

I like the Super Marcato Brothers podcast but they seem to intensely dislike most soundtracks from cd based consoles, calling them "cheesy", whatever that means.

I kiiiiinda get what they mean by that, even if I wouldn't describe the entire period like that? Early titles with redbook tended to have very... a lot of it reminded me of the cheap "read a storybook to kids" multimedia stuff that PCs had. Composers eventually figured it out and used the sound hardware to better effect, but a lot of titles give me that "generic woodwind with some digital instruments" feeling early on. But, having not listened to them yet, I might be misrepresenting the argument entirely.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hakkesshu posted:

Most games on the Neo Geo CD pretty much contradicts this since SNK had an actual in-house band, and they put out incredible music for years and years.

I basically wrote this out but with the surreal buttrock of the (US) Sega CD. There were definite exceptions, and it was moved past after a bit. (Similarly, I am a huge sucker for using the eccentricity of synthesized instrumentation to good effect, I always liked the Parasite Eve soundtrack for that reason.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Tir McDohl posted:

Well, Frankenstein didn't have a cane what turns into a whip...unless I'm remembering wrong.

You clearly did not end up watching canon-sequel-to-the-novel I, Frankenstein, then.

(yes, it tries to portray itself as this, and yes, it is as stupid as you imagine)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Song For The Deaf posted:

I just posted the Commander Keen episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! Up next is Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon

I am basically going to be deluging you with feedback on these two, and I apologize.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TetsuoTW posted:

The gently caress are you talking about?

I think he's referring to the WOFF comments about the swastika in Commander Keen. Technically the one appearing there is a manji (I hope to god I remembered that term properly), but it should also tell you something that a later patch for Keen V removed that just to be safe.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It is literally the only thing I can think of that he might be referring to. But yeah, if the top prong faces left, it's a manji, unless I've had this poo poo backwards for years. (My mnemonic: right-facing, right-wing) I'm not the family Buddhist, I just know enough to not stick my foot in my mouth at Thanksgiving.

You guys weren't playing the Steam versions, I assume? Now I'm just curious whether those all use the "final" patches, which would mean that they lack that little detail anyway.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm not defending it, for what it's worth. I was just trying to answer the question of what in the hell he might be talking about. It could be something Giant Bomb did for all I know, or maybe Thumbs? I'm behind on this week's podcasts, the Keen one is the only thing I've finished.

And the Shadow of the Beast AS shortly. Because I need to do laundry.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
The fact that there is an entire digression on the various Cure OSTs probably makes this one of my favorite Abject Sufferings.

("Burn" is still a good song, I will fight anyone who disagrees.)

edit: oh my god

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 8, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I will have to go grab that, because I've tried Isometric a few times and not really dug it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Given the absolutely unexpected takes you (Duckfeed) guys have on most games, really looking forward to seeing how Bad Rats goes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
re: Keen talk on the WoFF extrasode - holy poo poo you guys didn't see the bonus level in Armageddon Machine? Let me show you what was meant about Scottish racism, even if that term's a little strong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSDRr-i0Qko&t=105s

It's arguably the single worst level in the game, because at least everything else makes you move around and explore to some degree. This is just a giant pit you have to go up and down over and over again for a few keys, unless you can pull off a pogo trick/ride a shot upwards to skip over the required gem and get the "better" ending*. And it's all to a really, really poor synthesized bagpipe score.

* Destroy the fuse at the top of the stage rather than use the exit, and the Shikadi get fined for double-parking in the ending because their ship won't take off anymore.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Given the absolutely unexpected takes you (Duckfeed) guys have on most games, really looking forward to seeing how Bad Rats goes.

Yuuuuuuuuup. That wasn't what I expected.

edit: I don't know who the hell said MeUndies wicks poo poo away but they were wrong, says Man Living In Desert Who Bought Podcast Underpants

edit 2/3: you guys should probably read this and watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ApOFe9ODZY

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 28, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Woffle posted:

Also, I had no idea there'd be a cutting room floor entry for something as new as Bad Rats. Holy cow. "Horse Club." We might have to do a follow up episode.

Make sure you look at the notes page, for gems like

quote:

Bad Rats uses the RANDOM() function 206+/-2 times, 98 of which are in the rats' physics definitions.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I've been enjoying Teenage Dirtbags a bunch and for some reason was expecting Gary to refer to himself as Gaz during the beginning of the newest WOFF.

I don't know if I've laughed as hard at Teenage Dirtbags as when the latest episode's sponsor came into play. Powerman 5000 makes for a drat good introductory episode to the show.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Speaking of Duckfeed-related tangents: that whole bit on Abject Suffering about the Offspring for a minute really makes me sad that Teenage Dirtbags is only 90s-focused. Any Offspring song/video from the past decade is basically ripe for mockery as the aging former-punks slowly try to become either Weezer or an issue of Heavy Metal from song to song.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's not just you. At this point the vast majority of my gaming time per-week is spent dicking around with the Streetpass Plaza on my 3DS when time is slow at work. When I get home, I am usually way more interested in trying to catch up on some TV than playing games before bed. I think any week where there's both a WOFF and Idle Thumbs means I hear more about games than I play them.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TetsuoTW posted:

No-one remembers Crazy Taxi as being full of Offspring songs. Everyone just remembers Crazy Taxi as being full of YA YA YA YA YAAA

It's true. I couldn't tell you a single other thing on the soundtrack beyond that opening sting. I don't even know what any actual lyrics from that very song are.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MeruFM posted:

add Giant Beastcast to the list because holy poo poo Vinny is back but now as his own thing

Lemme go find this, but yeah, I'll add it to the list (and if it's under 3 hours a week, probably even listen to it).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WOFF extrasode chat: Hey, I'm not the only one who remembers Darkstone, the Diablo clone where you could run directly to the final boss and just town portal in and out of his lair to kill him at level 1.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I've run through most of my usual podcasts this week due to graveyards aplenty, so I've started trying new stuff in the meantime. Giant Beastcast is the first thing I've really dug from that crew in years now, and I was instantly won over by Crate & Crowbar when someone used the phrase "Bethesda in the streets, Bioware in the sheets".

Also From US To You just rejiggered its format this week, and I suppose I'll try that when it dies down around here in a few hours.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Kole/Gary, some extrasode comments, some on the extrasode content, and some I held back expecting other people to fill in for me:

- Story of Seasons is an incredibly nice title, and feels like it brings a lot of polish the series has been missing ever since the weird legal wrangling for the HM name. (Also, it is just so much better coded. God, some of the bugs later HM titles had were embarassing.) I'm early on, but it's got a lot of quality of life improvements, a town that feels more realistic, and, while I admit I've skipped a HM or two near the end, one of my favorite little details: other people in this farm town run some drat farms of their own. In fact, when your city-boy rear end gets dropped off at the game's beginning, you're staying with one of the other farmers to learn the ropes/town schedule for a couple of days.
- Whoever sent in those VN suggestions was a very, very particular kind of pervert based on which titles I recognized by name. One or two of them might make for good Abject Suffering titles, were it not for the fact that they are old games which would be a three-times cursed process to get running on modern PCs. At least one was DOS-era, for gently caress's sake.
- This one is just more a general suggestion, but at some point have you guys considered a raising sim of some sort? It mostly occurred to me because one of the VN descriptions (murder mystery at an all-girls school) reminded me of the game I'm playing at the moment, Black Closet, which is almost guaranteed to be a much less lovely version of that plot by the woman behind Long Live the Queen. But for some reason I am now imagining a Princess Maker or LLtQ or that fan-translated DS game from a few months back being subjected to the show's scrutiny.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Woffle posted:

Also, Hunie Pop is by Gamergators, I believe, so I stayed clear by a wide margin.

You believe correctly.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Phone posted:

The biggest thing was the Doubt option because the other two options were "obvious lie" and "obvious truth". If you think that someone might be bullshitting you, you press Doubt and would expect Ken Cosgrove to be like, "are you sure that you parked your car over there?" and gently prod whomever you are interrogating... However, more times than not, Ken hops up and gets in the dude's face yelling "DON'T YOU FUCKIN LIE TO ME YOU FUCKIN COUCH MOLESTER!", so the options become "Let it slide", "Get in someone's poo poo", and "unpredictably fly off the handle and get in some dude's face".

You're better at this than you realize: apparently in some of the final months before release they went in and changed the entirety of the prompt system, from "coax/force/lie" to the ones that became final (which, for those who didn't play it, were "truth", "doubt", and "lie"). Dialogue never got re-recorded, though, so as a result more than a few scenes in the game leave you going "Wait, what the gently caress?"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Just since it occurred to me listening to the LA Noire episode of WOFF and I suspect I'm too late to send in extrasode feedback: if you guys want an interesting bit of true crime/narrative about arson, Fire Lover is a fantastic story about that very topic, explaining a lot of the usual methods and telltale signs of arson, as well as one of the more infamous serial arsonist cases in US history.

It's also just a good read! You know, for those days when you want to spend some time curled up next to something as non-flammable as possible with a paper book that could anyway you get where this joke is going.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I remember a few Japanese hacks that created some clever puzzle-y levels which weren't hard so much as they made you ponder. I dug it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nah, it was a series of them, and they became increasingly more elaborate ASM hacks, I'm trying to remember what the hell it was called. I loved those things. I should really see what the hell the SMW romhackers have done in the years since I last looked at that stuff, I'm sure I could find an assload of new things to play with.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Tae posted:

darkseid, what do I honestly have to do for you to accept gameinformer's podcast on the list.

Tell me about it? I can just add that in a few, I was going to add Hyperbolic Game Chamber shortly anyway because I'm digging it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
re: Abject Suffering and "I've never seen Minesweeper mashups", that has been a huge variety of smaller titles lately. Off the top of my head there's Minesweeper + action game, Minesweeper + modern UI/adjustable difficulty, Minesweeper + hex grid/custom board designs (probably the best variant), and there were two or three Desura titles I can no longer recall the name of, if they even still exist with that company in a flaming freefall like it is.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
That's not true, I'm not on the podcast with them. Rare's N64 games onwards were all flawed titles at best, and their platformers were the worst of all. In fact, I'm gonna put it on the record: only wholeheartedly good one was Diddy Kong Racing and that poo poo still had a collectathon. Jet Force Gemini too! gently caress those dudes, they have a special endless river of jiggies awaiting them in hell.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Woffle posted:

I also want to do some more games neither of us have played, at least a few per year.

I cant afford to patreon anyone right now, so I keep suggesting them for Abject Suffering. My bad. (At least I toss in keys for the dreck I share.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nope. He is one of many people to collect a paycheck there who we saw no result from in the end.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Gary, Kole, others - here are some fun stupid Doc Ock Facts care of your little digression about preferring his film origin to what you recall of his actual one:

* Otto Octavius never had a wife to begin with. He did, however, nearly marry Aunt May once. It was a long-con to try and gain possession of a nuclear reactor she inherited. The wedding was broken up at the altar, but for years she would state Otto was only ever a gentleman to her.
* While I don't recall the arms talking to him, he did indeed talk to them later on, because due to radiation/long-term fusion with them/latent mutation/whatever, he actually forged a psychic bond with them. This was learned when he made them break out of a SHIELD facility across the country and walk to the prison he was in to break himself out.
* He coated his arms with adamantium later on, making them effectively invincible. Otto wasn't dumb.
* missed opportunity: Ultimate Universe Otto basically reformed a fight or two in, and began working as a double-agent for SHIELD/Nick Fury to get a pardon, knowing if Norman Osborn broke out he would recruit Otto among his cronies. Otto actually went clean and acted as Science Dad to young Peter for a bit, before getting killed by Norman. It was gut-wrenching. I really like non-crazy, empathetic Doc Ock.

Comics!

Edit for extrasode: Bionic Commando (modern) has one of my favorite lines in all of video game cheese, as Mike Patton as Nathan "Rad" Spencer spits "That's people you're breathing" at a terrorist in denial. It is also a flawed but solid title.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 1, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Is there something that Ray got pilloried for too? Because I can't think of it, but that probably leaves him as the lone Retronauts host to not end up setting off some weird niche of listeners.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Song For The Deaf posted:

1. The 100th episode of Abject Suffering is about Action 52, it's extra long, and it came out today. http://duckfeed.tv/abjectsuffering/100

I think we may get hit with fines because someone may or may not have run out of the store with a 6-pack when I began cackling like a hyena at "my dick's name is a killing word". I'm going to have to check the cameras come morning. I am writing this post half to remind me of what time to look.

update: he didn't, but apparently I laughed so hard a man fled the store in a panic. That's something, I guess.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 5, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

coyo7e posted:

Has anyone brought up Total War franchise lately? They've come out with some pretty good new stuff in the last 6-9 months, and they've got Total War Arena, which looks kind of like a 3-unit-per-player MOBA free to play, with several players using 3 units each, on either side.

A recent 3 Moves Ahead touched on the franchise, in a discussion on longtime strategy franchises that swung from highs to lows with various titles. I don't recall hearing that development come up though...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Golden Sun is one of those topics where SA is basically a hive mind in opposition to the rest of the internet.

To be fair: I will never tell someone they're wrong for having enjoyed that game, but I will absolutely tell someone they're wrong if they think it's a good game. The GS series is one of the worst-written tedious slogs in standard JRPGs. It also comes the closest to the uuuuuugly appearance of GBC-only titles you can get on the GBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

DoubleNegative posted:

On top of all of that, it uses Camelot's awful engine where all the agency the player has is "Yes :)" and "No :(".

I forget, did you finish your LP of the series, or did it drive you to madness as well?

I finished GS1, got my payment, and quickly hosed right off on ever replaying GS2.

Said payment included GSDS so they got the last laugh. It's still on my shelf, mocking me. My first experience with it ended with me trapped in a 7-minute loop of recapping the first game and I never put it back in the DS.

al-azad posted:

Golden Sun had some neat level design ideas. All the psychic powers that let you physically manipulate puzzles. Stuff like the tools in Wild Arms and Lufia 2 are so rare in RPGs where "good" dungeon design is a straight line with the occasional dead-end treasure.
That's true, and I will give it that. I just wish that some of its use of them wasn't miserable. Endgame lighthouse puzzles involving moving poo poo over multiple floors, I'm looking at you!

Or that you had 3-4 seperate "ghost hand" spells.

I JUST REMEMBERED HOW POORLY THEY USED THAT CONCEPT TOO AND I'M MAD ALL OVER GODDAMNIT.

• Locked thread