Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it worth mentioning the Kinda Funny Games-cast with Greg Miller and co?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I find it hilarious when people say they despise TotalBiscuit.

It's kind of like the video-game podcast equivalent of kid's in the 90's saying it was uncool to support Manchester United.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kirbysuperstar posted:

turned out to be his butt cancer when he finally bothered to go and get it checked out?

Yay, shaming people for visting doctors, arn't we a gaudy bunch.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kirbysuperstar posted:

He's still an idiot for not going and getting a bleeding anus checked out by a doctor for way the hell too long.

I dunno like. quite a few posters here obviously not enquired with their doctors about why faecal matter is coming out their mouths.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
TB's cancer is in remission so obviously some of you goons didn't cross your fingers when you wished it on him.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I remember that Metroid Prime episode of WoFF being the first one I strongly disagreed with, then I went back and tried to re-play Metroid Prime, that game has not aged well.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pinterest Mom posted:

I replayed Metroid Prime when it was released on Wii U this winter and I was essentially in a constant state of wonder at how well it holds up as a literally perfect game.

'Metroid Prime', 'literally perfect'.

Nah sorry can't see the connection.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 24, 2015

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Opinions are subjective and you're being a pube about it

Hey Captain Invictus, you should watch Guyver, it's pretty cool.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Giant Bomb has been doing a lot of great features recently, Metal Gear Scanlon, The Old Games Show, Mario Party, Alt+F1 and the GBeast grew being able to contribute consistent video content have made things a blast. I didn't manage to catch the Big Live Live Show, 8 hours of content is a bit of a wall to get through till the weekend but it'll prolly be good even for background noise.

Unprofessional Fridays has been so inconsistent these days though, the last one I remember really enjoying had the sky-diving/free-falling game Drew played and the disco themed neon coloured first person shooter with the ball you had to catch, they are never bad it's just it's not uncommon for Drew to bring a less interesting game to the table and it's almost always the first or second game shown

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The design goal of Zone of the Enders was to have a game that people would rush to buy regardless of the content because of the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo handily housed in the case.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cowboy bebop is a cool and good anime

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

90 percent of media is trash

I hear this quote pop up a lot and it's a horribly "superior-alistic" soundbyte. I've always felt that it's a "cream rises to the top" kind of situation, the percentage is a useless number so the expression would better be stated as "a small minority of media is worth consumption".

Unless it's anime in which case "majority=gargabe" sounds pretty reasonable.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ikea do good meatballs

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Crate and Crowbar makes its way into my podcast rotation purely because of a lack of quality British games podcasts

Edit: also, stop being mean to Captain Invictus, he's like the nicest possible anime fan ever, sure he has a questionable taste in media but you can't deny the guys passion

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 25, 2015

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God Paper Mario was trash, sure do wish I'd held onto it though, used copies go for like £50 these days.

gently caress knows why anyone would be willing to pay £50 for one of the worst games on the Gamecube but meh.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

Thousand Year Door is near perfection please find the nearest cliff to leap off.

Hahaha. No it's not you loving crazy person. If you said "Thousand Year Door is a good video game" I'd just nod, say all opinions are valid and back away without breaking eye contact but to call that game "near perfection" ? Like in all seriousness, can we swap lives because the kind of upbringing that causes someone to lavish that much praise on an utterly mediocre and child friendly Nintendo wank-fest must find joy and delight in staring at a pavement.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TetsuoTW posted:

Don't even get me started on those idiots that like

...anime?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Just a random question here:

Have you ever worked for Game Informer.

The only game informing I'm doing is informing people that Paper Mario is a mediocre game.

edit: I'm being in tongue in cheek of course, like what you will, really, but Paper Mario close to perfect? You'll struggle to find anyone over 10 who won't scoff at that.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 4, 2015

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

If we are pretending 11 year old reviews are applicable today we might as well all just give in and hail Metal Gear Solid as the greatest videogame ever made, past and future.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The giant bomb thread is a cool and good place where people have fun talking about games and anime without the air of snobbery this thread could be accused of permeating.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I don't get it.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

empty quoting the same image without context isn't helping

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zombies' Downfall posted:

this thread rules actually because it's one of those SA threads where you get the full cross-section of posters and when somebody says mean words you never know if they're just funnin' on a comedy forum

thats pretty much the gimmick of the giant bomb thread summed up in a soundbyte

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Idle Thumbs is alright, I had a wee jibe at Chris Remo once on twitter about how he had time to play Halo 4 on Legendary while instantly skipping the cut-scenes and he responded in a thoroughly intelligent manner.

Though, much like Idle Thumbs the pocast, it could have been summed up without sounding so pretentious. Not that I am having a go or anything, it's just I listen to Idle Thumbs and it's very apparent the hosts are leagues more booksmart than me which somewhat dampens my ability to relate to them.

But hey, at least it's on the same webpage as Esports Today.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was listening to...idle thumbs? This week, and they all hated Mario 64 and thus I don't think I can trust any of their opinions ever again

It's an understandable opinion, if you didn't play it at the time and your first exposure is the DS remake then it's more than likely you've played more evolved games since.

Personally, I think it's an alright game that I've never got more than halfway done with, I feel the exact same way with Super Mario World though and as with SM64 I didn't play that until a good decade after its release.

edit: But yeah, to say you "hate" any Super Mario game is just being a jerk.

(unless it's Paper Mario, that game is straight up dumb)

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's the aptly-named Screaming Idiot, so yes, you were well warned already.

I won't get all frothy over it, but like I said: absolutely nothing I've played of the game or been shown makes me want more. The problem is that probably 90% of y'all just go "it's good, play it everyone" and it becomes this utterly maddening constant drone which I cannot wait to hear end.

I can side with you here END ME SCOOB becuase your feelings about Undertale are the exact same feelings I have with Metal Gear 5 The Phantom Pain. Everyone is running around saying "this gameplay is so revolutionary", "this is the greatest game ever never mind the game of the year", "the defining end of the Metal Gear franchise" and I'm just left standing over in the corner saying "it's alright but it's a terrible Metal Gear game and I was bored 10 hours through".

And you sort of stand there going "am I just broken here? is everyone else right and I'm just wrong?" and you look around for similar viewpoints to validate your own beliefs and in the end you are left scratching your head thinking "why is this game not clicking with me?".

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but FLUDD was cool as gently caress.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Have you played Destiny Invictus? I went in with super low expectations and I'm having a blast with it.

Undertale I just know I'm going to have unreasonable expectations of revolution when I get round to playing it and that's never fair.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good point Jippa. I feel with media that I'm stuck in this awkward catch 22 where I don't want to invest time in a new media piece unless it's getting high critical acclaim but that critical acclaim itself makes me cast a doubtful eye over it.

It's pretty dumb but it's the nature of modern life with our surplus of media to consume and our shortfall of free time in which to consume it.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't like tony hawk, sports games, resident evil, silent hill, fighting games, call of duty, etc

Tony Hawk was incredible when it was on the PS2, it's been in decline since, sports games are terrible unless you are playing with a friend, same with fighting games, Call of Duty was revolutionary 7 years ago but isn't now and Silent Hill has always been garbage.

There Invictus. I fixed you!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Counter point, gently caress you.

If you like Paper Mario, I'm not going to argue with you since thats dumb.

Instead I'm going to state that its one of the very few games that I have sold on due to how much of a distaste it caused me.

I'm pretty sure the only other games in that category are Saints Row 3 since I got it cheap on a PC sale after buying it on xbox and A-Train Simulator because it's inhospitably bad.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ah so clearly the problem here is that you have no taste because Saints Row 3 is also excellent.

Dude, you misread me. It was so good that I bought it twice but then I shipped the console copy since I needed money for :420: or some poo poo

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Okami might be one of the best zelda likes in the past decade but it forced me to watch a 15 minute long unskippable cut scene right at the start so I'll never know.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Wind Waker, the 3D Zelda's love of intricate openings and beginning tutorial sections is another annoyance on the list. I don't know how anyone looked at Wind Waker and thought "forcing the player through this gigantic stealth dungeon first thing" was a good idea.

That never bothered me in Wind Waker as much as the forced text boxes everytime you picked up a Rupee.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dragon Quest 8 was bursting with charm, if you'd gave that game to me when I was like 12 I would have rinsed it in a montn but these days I just don't have the drive :cry:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I kind of get what you're saying. It's like a mountain to climb, like reading all of War and Peace or building a toothpick model of Washington DC.

Dragon Quest 8 was charming as hell, though the old-school RPGness of the gameplay would probably drive me off if I played it today.

I get what you mean, I played through maybe 15-20 hours and I was using a guide the whole way and even then it was kind of exhausting.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh dear god why would you do a podcast about Deadly Shadows while ignoring the empirically better original duology!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yup, sure is mighty interesting to talk about those cul-de-sac sized levels or that exquisite level design of dying as soon as you make contact with a body of water.

Ah, who am I to argue, they'll squeeze a good 25 minutes out of the Cradle alone.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dragon Quest 8 is insanely charming, I didn't get more than a dozen hours in but I can easily blame that on having hooked up my decade old ps2 in a cold attic :classiclol: Would love to give that game a fair crack in hand-held form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm happy for people that enjoyed Fallout 4 but I knew as soon as footage for that game was available that it would be an upgraded and slightly tepid Fallout 3. That's not surprising, the surprising thing is that the fans of the series are happy thats exactly what they got.

Fallout 4 sold more copies than Super Mario 64, that's both hosed up and frightening.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 21, 2015

• Locked thread