Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Song For The Deaf posted:

but we're ready to announce the game that comes after it: Katamari Damacy.

This makes a lot if sense wrt the good soundtrack conversation in the latest ep. Just seeing the words Katamari Damacy immediately puts that song in my head, and it's great.

That game came out when I was in college, and everyone that ever saw it had the exact same set of reactions:
"what the gently caress is this game?"
"ok, I guess I'll try it"
and eventually, "Jesus Christ, it's after midnight? Let me play one more time, but I really have to get going".

Nobody could ever remember the name, but there were frequently requests to play "that game where you roll poo poo up". Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Song For The Deaf posted:

The Amnesia episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! just went live. This one was really fun to record, and I hope our enthusiasm comes through.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/99

Up next is Super Metroid (episode 100!) followed by Katamari Damacy, and then a split episode about Harvest Moon and Sim City (both for SNES).

Sim City was a mainstay when I was in elementary school, because I was born a sixty year old man. One of the main things that I remember about it is that railroads function almost identically to roads (there are no train stations), and it doesn't seem like there is a property value penalty for building anything right next to a rail line. Very early in my SimCity career, one of my friends told me to build exclusively railroad tracks instead of roads, because if you use roads people will eventually bitch about traffic. There might be a higher monthly fee per tile or something for rail, but it does seem like one of those stupid things that makes perfect sense in kid-brain and actually works out fine because video games.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Gary and Kole - bicyclists going back and forth between following pedestrian and traffic rules is also a thing in bike friendly cities. I have lived in the Twin Cities (regularly a top 2 on "Most Bike Friendly Cities" articles) since 2007, and it's the same poo poo here. Not to lump all bicyclists together, I'm sure there are good ones, but bitching about legally being an automobile, then blowing a red light/stop sign makes for a mixed message.

The thing that really drives me crazy is when a large group of bicyclists is going down a two-lane road and some of them start to meander over the center line. We live off of a twisting, wooded road that is 40 MPH (pretty aggressive for having no sidewalk), and I've seen multiple occasions of bikes going over the line into blind curves. If a car did that poo poo people would be irate, but somehow the bicyclist doing it gets to be irate when a car comes around the curve and has to hit their brakes to avoid ending someone.

You hit all of the correct talking points on bike hypocrisy, and I applaud you.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

It's great that the instrumental Thumbs theme plays when Chris isn't on the show, but he's still in the scene transition sting. Also, the "farting" story was hilarious, and that is probably the best part of the Big Lebowski.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I just didn't realize you were part of Duckfeed! That's cool to find out.

Have you ever tried 10,000,000 or its newly-released sequel, You Must Build A Boat? They're pretty much the only Match 3 games I enjoy. They're about 3 bucks a pop on steam if you're looking for more Comrade stuff, they're like 3-5 hour games each but so god damned satisfying.

Except for that loving MAGE TOWER in YMBAB, gently caress witches forever :argh:

My wife plays the poo poo out of Candy Crush, but never did the pay to win poo poo and hated the ads. I told her about 10,000,000 and YMBAB a week ago after hearing about them on a couple of podcasts, and now she has built two boats to completion and just got 11,500,000 points today. Either Gary and Kole or the Thumbs got in to the discussion of who is a "gamer" recently, and the conclusion was that casual phone gamers are engaging in the exact same hobby as the rest of us, just at a different level. After watching her torch through those two so loving quickly I have to agree.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

The Charlie Brown/Sanford and Son joke at the end of Video Games Hot Dog made me laugh so loving hard. Thank you.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

House project weekend left me with an exhausted supply of podcasts by Sunday, so I went back and started listening to DS1 BFSC episodes again. It is such a good series that now I just want to play Souls games with my between-project free time even though I only have a grand total of about 15-20 collective hours invested between MGSV and Fallout 4. drat you Gary and Kole (and Miyazaki) :argh:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Colorblindness is not something that a whole lot of people put thought into when designing things, so it's very interesting to hear about all the journos who are colorblind and have issues with some games. I'm not colorblind, but in a similarly male-dominated field (Engineering), I regularly encounter people who are, so when making graphs or other visual displays I go out of my way to make them not rely solely on color to make categories visually distinguishable from one another.

One great example: some dude teaching a continuing ed class that I took went on this super condescending rant about how customers (specifically operators in a production plant, also predominantly male) will always find a way to screw things up. His product had two parts that were provided in five gallon pails, and he was bitching about how stupid people are that he had to go to extremes to make sure that they wouldn't mix up the two parts. After enough complaints, he went to the extreme of providing the product in colored pails. It was pretty tough to keep a straight face when he finished the whole thing with "How much more obvious could it be? Part A is in a green pail, and Part B is in a red pail!!"

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Woffle posted:

For me, it's honestly a lot more complicated to explain. If you put a red bucket next to a green one, I can tell the difference but it's all about the amount of red in a color, intensity rather than presence. I also have some minor green issues, thus the Undertale stuff. People don't always understand that it can be about amount of contrast rather than presence of contrast at all.

Jeff (indirectly) hit on the contrast thing a bit in this week's Bombcast talking about Fallout 4 and the speech checks. Default text is light-ish green, and speech checks are indicated by words being yellow (easy), orange (medium), and red (hard). He mentioned having to change the text to blue because he played for a while and realized he was missing easy speech checks.

People having such wildly different issues with colors is probably one of the major reasons that colorblindness isn't usually considered when people communicate visually. Excel is far and away the most popular program to make graphs, and it defaults to color as the sole distinguisher for most types when it could just as easily vary both color and shape. After witnessing multiple incidents of someone needing to ask for clarification on data that was being presented, I now take an extra minute or two in order to clearly make things as distinguishable as possible.

Sorry for the mostly unrelated babble, but clear presentation of information has been drilled into my head to the point that it is distressing for me to see areas where it could so easily be improved. Not everything has to be shapes and patterns in the world to accommodate everyone on the spectrum of colorblindness, but it would be nice to see a checkbox in the options menu to put brackets on the Fallout 4 speech checks, or have Excel use both shapes and colors. Maybe 98% of the population would be able to tell the difference between that dude's red and green buckets, but why not just make it black and white and avoid having to deal with the repercussions when one of the 2% has an issue?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Fallout 4 certainly doesn't over-tutorialize. It comes up when you first get out of the vault and (I can't imagine this is a spoiler, but what the hell) talk to your robot butler. You can press him on seeming to be holding something back, and that option is the easiest level of dialogue check. Afterwards a little explanation box or two appear on the screen pretty quickly explaining the system and difficulty levels.

Jeff recommended blue text on the Bombcast. Apparently the existing settings for text color on dialogue checks don't change if you adjust the color of the text, so if you make it red the hard checks will look identical to normal text.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Fallout 1 and 2 own.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Catching up on Abject Suffering from the last few weeks. Kole, my dad would be your not throwing-up hero. He's at 32 years.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I DEFINITELY remember some advertisements for TOUGH GUY GAMES wherein some military space marine or whatever was blasting through cutesy mascot-type characters back in the day.

BattleTanx?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWi8rqL0hEs

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

al-azad posted:

But prefacing spoilers isn't a good idea unless you edit a time post-production.

Agree. A couple of years ago I got spoiled on something pretty major (don't recall the game, obviously it was a life-changing moment) when a podcast did the "we're going to talk about this now, so skip ahead until we aren't anymore," method. If there isn't a specific time edited back in during post, I will usually just turn the podcast off.

The Bombcast is a poster child for this, because they will hem and haw at the beginning that they shouldn't even discuss the game this week, then somewhat get into it to the point where the hosts are invested in the conversation. At that point they'll hit the spoiler wall and Brad spends the next minute and a half saying, "gosh, I really want to talk about this game right now. Uhhh, it's so good, but we shouldn't. Ahhh, uugnnh, I don't know, we should really put this off, but some of the things that it does, just, ahh. SO GOOD." The part that makes it so bad is that Giant Bomb literally has a separate podcast feed for things like special spoiler casts.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Beard Yawn posted:

Welp. Don't listen to this week's Bombcast if you're trying to avoid Dark Souls 3 location spoilers.

Thanks for the heads-up, it was next in my queue. Over a month to go and already having to avoid spoilers. It may be advisable to spend the first 11 days of April in a Faraday cage.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

They just say the name of an early-game location. I watched a 'first thirty minutes' video and the thing that is spoiled is place you get to maybe 15 minutes in. YMMV if you consider it huge.

If that's the case, it's probably the same thing I had spoiled for me by the Dark Souls Facebook entity in a blurb about a video they were posting. Would have preferred not to know, but if people are dropping it casually this early it was probably unavoidable.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Yeah, this really took a turn. I'd prefer to know nothing about Dark Souls 3 before playing it, but accept the risks of consuming media that may spoil that without getting too upset. It was nice of Beard Yawn to call it out for people who care, but maybe not necessary for it to turn into a discussion encouraging euthanasia or assuming that he now has Brad's name on some sort of hit list.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Cactus posted:

I just subscribed to idle thumbs because of this thread. If I like the bombcast and the crate and crowbar, then that would mean I've done a goodgreatbrilliantfantastic thing. I hope I'm right.

You are probably correct. Video Games Hotdog is also worth checking out if you're not too burnt out on "what's new this week" style video games podcasts.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Anyways, to go along with Funkmaster, looking back I think one of the things that both Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne missed was the whole "look at a giant world where you can visit all those places you see in the distance" thing that the original Dark Souls had. This game has that in spades.

This pleases me greatly to hear. I've been screwing around is DS1 to kill time pre-DS3 (mostly putting down summon signs at the Gargoyles and feeling :3: when I help someone with a Drake sword beat them and then hear the bell ring). This winter was my first time playing through DS2. The controls in DS2 felt better, but god drat do I still love running around the world in DS1 pre-LV and looking around. Every location feeling like an island in DS2 really did feel like they missed the mark on what made the first world so great. The little bit of info that I've heard on podcasts has never really mentioned the interconnectedness, and whether it is more like 1 or 2, so your statement has me back to 100% excited for release.

Also, holy poo poo is it hard to go back to a PS3 controller. Do those sticks travel about 2x as far as they do on the PS4 controller? It would be really great if they released a Prepare to Die version of DS1 and Demon's Souls bundled together on PS4.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

This post had me primed to hear this phrase, and I thought at first that it was going to be just a one-off thing that Nick said in passing. The discussion that they looped back to when Chris called him out was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Pretty sure the first impressions episode is Sunday for gen pop and somewhat earlier for Patreon backers.

• Locked thread