Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Loved the crate and crowbar this week. The normally unflappable Graham gushing over the possibilities of valve VR. Then Chris hilariously ranting about how hotline miami 2 is the worst in minute detail and ruining his life (despite loving the original).

I'm only part way through thumbs, skylines great. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Link for large version

http://i.imgur.com/cgiVajF.jpg

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
No spoilers on IT.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

As if Idle Thumbs would play anything that's not a mobile or itch.io game!

They played the game they just don't spoil it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pasco posted:

A depressing and delayed point about this episode:

The "Death from Above" chapter with the gunship that you guys both felt was a good commentary on the gamification of war and was a section of the game that actually handled the nature of modern conflict in a nuanced and interesting way? Well (apparently) the devs just thought that was cool as poo poo technology and a loving awesome set-piece, and whenever asked were always super shocked that people read all this 'thoughtful bullshit' into it.

It's understandable that you read the scene as you did, as that was the reaction from the wider gaming press as well, but the intentionality you ascribe simply isn't there. This was created as just another rad-awesome, ooh-rah, look-how-big-our-guns-are military wank-fest.

Ha ha yeah I remember that from the crate and crowbar, any one remember which episode? They straight up told them this at an event.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I thin they call back to it but it was discussed first on a much earlier episode.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For the record I don't like totalbiscuit but if you had ever known any one with cancer you wouldn't find what happened to him funny. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Shawn Elliot is on Patrick Klepek's podcast.

I don't think the actual episode is up yet though.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/inventory-management/id968634978?mt=2

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://simplecast.fm/podcasts/1028/rss

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tae posted:

I didn't know Patrick had a podcast.

Neither did I until today.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I love how dumb video games are. Adding a nose to VR cures motion sickness?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It was on idle thumbs this week.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/25/virtual-nose-purdue-university/

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
(For the record I'm english and have only been to the US once).

I remember a while back on the crate and crowbar they were talking about having this weird deja vu moment from playing gta 4 and recognising some area of new york.

I just had exactly the same thing it was so odd. I was on a dirtbike escaping from the police trying to lose them over the hills using the off road etc. I had just lost them after a massive chase and came too rest at what I just googled and realised was the Griffith Observatory.

Such an odd feeling of deja vu that I had completely forgotten. It had been almost a decade since I was there. Video games are so weird.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pasco posted:

Idle Thumbs, the place to go for your decade old Penny Arcade jokes:

(I still love you guys, just found it amusing how almost verbatim the 'cast was to that strip)

I haven't heard the episode yet but every one just absorbs things they hear/read over time. Even top comedians and musicians constantly experience this.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah if I did a video game podcast would people want to hear that I spent last week pushing hikers off mountains into the ocean in gta 5 and then some tf2? Probably not.

I've actually stopped listening to most gaming podcasts where they feel they have to discuss the latest games but don't really have any thing interesting to say about them and just describe them.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I enjoyed the last episode of IT. I understand what jake means about tf2 getting bogged down with new weapons but honestly I'm a long time player and I just play for the most part with the original weapons on the classes I play. Getting new weapons in tf2 isn't any advantage.

Just don't use quick play and join valve servers. You can set in your options to not download any sounds ever you can also disable "motd" which stops those splash screen adverts. But I understand his general criticisms.

Glad to hear more of your hat updates invictus. I have to say that I have played tf2 pretty much from the start and still only have basic hats. Not that I mind but it would be cool if they would randomly drop.

I have to say that the hat trading thing is almost a completely separate game. All the people I play with have obscene amounts of hours and we rarely see any one with an unusual hat. I guess they are trading not playing? Who knows.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The last two episodes of idle thumbs have been excellent. I'm strangely looking forward to next weeks nick and chris special. :)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Totally agree on both them being excellent but the audio also being annoying. I've never recorded a podcast so I can't give them any real advise but they need to so some thing to limit how "loud" it can get for instance when they all laugh.

There seems to be a too big gap between the volumes (say when graham is speaking I will turn it up, then they all laugh and blow my ear drums).

Like I say I have no actual advise and they could be limited by their hardware.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pasco posted:

So The Crate and Crowbar have set up a Patreon.

I wouldn't normally promote in this way, but this is a really fantastic PC gaming focused podcast, and one of the best podcasts I listen too, held back only by stunningly low audio-quality.

Yeah I'll chuck a few quid their way if they buy some new microphones.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Another great C&C episode. I think they totally nailed why the days mod was so good and why the standalone and all the other survival games that it spawned never really lived up to it.

In fact that was a passing point (and this really dates it) that Tyler Barber made on rebel fm (remember that?) at the time it came out.

I also thought the discussion on "tilting" was fascinating as well because every one knows that concept but I've never heard it given an actual name.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I know I've asked this question in a previous version of this thread and the fact that I can't remember the answer leads me to believe that nobody knows. So did we ever find out what clint hocking was doing at valve?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Another great C&C I genuinely laughed when they said star citizen was the jeremy corbyn of space (for non uk people just think '08 obama "hope" etc).

I'm also very glad they are looking into the sound issues, that email almost exactly mirrored one of my forum posts. Here they are asking for help with their audacity settings:

http://crateandcrowbar.com/2015/07/24/episode-102-no-match-for-the-lily-pad/

If anyone of you know about audacity and compression etc they need advice here, please gove it to them: questions@crateandcrowbar.com

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have the idle thumbs reader mail jingle stuck in my head. Also I loved the best nick breckon moments. I can't remember the episode but it was pretty early on and nick was playing some sort of ridiculously hard medieval strategy game (I don't think it was was crusader kings). Any way it was really funny segment.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I think it some variant of Stronghold Crusader 1 or 2.

That sounds right. Nick couldn't even get off the starting level it was so hard.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

gallilee posted:

Holy poo poo!!
The trolling of Nick Breckon in GTA 5 on the latest idle thumbs is goddamn hysterical!
Watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUe7qMxM1s

Nick is going viral :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/13/gta-online-hacks/

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They were really criticising target not ikea.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I forgot to mention that this week's robot news was hilarious.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Crate & Crowbar are about to get their first patreon monthly allowance and I think the first thing they're doing is upgrading their recording equipment. So now you whiners can start listening to the best video games podcast.

Great news. To be fair to them the last few episodes have been way better. I think it was their levels more than the actual equipment.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
edit - wrong thread.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I like all the C&C casters. To the guy who has trouble distinguishing voices don't worry remember people used to say they couldn't tell the difference between the IT's guys.

I think it's confusing because they rotate every episode and they only use one mic. They also have guys with RP accents (think posh like hugh grant for non brits). I actually think the last section is the best because the whiskey is flowing and they and they answer questions.

If you read their bios it's quite easy to picture who is who:

Who?

Tom Francis (@pentadact) is an indie developer and wrote for PC Gamer for a very long time. His first game is called Gunpoint, and it's out now.

Graham Smith (@gonnas) is the managing editor of Rock, Paper, Shotgun. He is tall, Scottish, and has a beard.

Marsh Davies (@marshdavies) is a freelance illustrator and sometime games journalist who draws robots for indie games.

Tom Senior (@PCGLudo) is the web editor of PC Gamer and occasionally writes about things that have gone into his eyes, ears or mouth on his blog, BlamBlamBoom.

Chris Thursten (@cthursten) is the deputy editor of PC Gamer. He also writes a blog about Dota, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 25, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I don't know if I can express how excited I am for what promises to be a weird-rear end episode of Idle Thumbs, as I look over this description:

:toot:

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 28, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Embarrassing fact of the day. I spent at least 20 mins of the last nerdist podcast thinking the (bioshock) ken levine wrote on frasier and cheers until my brain finally started chugging and I realised the dates couldn't match. :blush:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I listened to idle thumbs. It just felt like jake was in another room with the door open, I could still hear him.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I just subscribe to the RPS thing and check best sellers. Mainly it's just word of mouth though I agree.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I watched a twitch stream for about 30 mins (which I understand is a tiny portion) of some one playing the latest metal gear and found it really generic. Listening to idle thumbs makes me think I should at least give it another look.

That being said I am one of those people that doesn't play the game but gets put off by people regurgitating all the memes from it (I'm sure people have lots of games they can relate too with this).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

EC posted:

For a thread about gaming podcasts y'all get loving insufferable from time to time.

I seem to be completely out of the loop on all this stuff. I never know what people are arguing about.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Giant bomb thread drama aside I'm surprised we haven't heard more chat about chris and nick's evening with goldblum. :stare:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/15/albino-lullaby-review/

This is the game that chris mentions from some ex bioshock devs. I was intrigued by the screenshots but it sounds like it possibly needs a big game play overhaul. I'm still waiting for that game that offers the same thing as the original bioshock in original world exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I would like IT to attempt to cover soma (if they aren't already):

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/21/soma-review/

• Locked thread