Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Episode 100 can only go two ways. Either Gary and Kole:
a) Finally play Banjo-Kazooie, love it, and realise that the item collecting works really well and encourage exploration of fantastically designed levels
b) Finally gently caress, on a bed scattered with copies of House of Leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

Has the "Co-Optional Podcast" been mentioned in here? Its regular-ish hosts are Jesse Cox, Dodger and TotalBiscuit and its regular guests range from people within the Makers Studios network to game journlists/reporters. I find some of their stuff interesting because they usually go over the major news or games of the week after they talk about what they've been playing that week (some of this talk blends together). They do have regular gimmicks such as:
Jesse making a fool of himself
Jesse eating random candy fans send him from around the world
Dodger eating her lunch mid podcast
Various "shot firings" usually directed towards Tumblr
The three hosts usually talking amongst themselves while their guest sits in awkward silence

here's the list of podcasts if anyone is interested, and here is where the podcasts are usually aired, unless TB is either having technical difficulties or is not present for the day in which case they're aired here.

I'm not sure I would have recommended anything TotalBiscuit was involved in even before he became a de-facto spokesman for a misogynist hate group.

Shut the gently caress up about having 60 fps and 90 degree field of view already, I get it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

TotalBiscuit is an idiot and his mouth spews filth and grime but let's maybe leave his life-threatening illness out of it??

Agreed.

loving up your health is a goon staple. Standing shoulder to shoulder with a Nazi, rape advocate and pro-slavery nut job is a different matter.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

My brain is still in working order, so I'm happy to speak for Phone since I goddamn love that video:

The Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 Super Metroid race was an absolutely fantastic piece to watch. Very close and exciting, and showed off a lot of weird quirks that even veteran metroid players wouldn't know outside of the speed running scene. Absolute pro-watch.

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0fEc2PeSI

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 22, 2015

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Wait...

What if they wind up hating Super Metroid?

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 24, 2015

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Woffle posted:

Not gonna happen. :smug:

Your record is two for two on hating well regarded Metroids, buster :colbert:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Something amnesia got right is that death was relatively rare. A lot of sequences in alien isolation just got frustrating rather than frightening when I was playing them through for the umpeenth time. The needless adventure game puzzles are my only real criticism, something resident evil fell into as well.

Also, gently caress you for the ending to that podcast. I'd gone to bed to listen to the last half hour and it was completely dark.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Finished the Casper Abject Suffering. Great work as always guys.

Also, Kole. Can you do me a favour? Drive to Gary's house and give him a hug for me. I love his just funnin' tangents but I am starting to worry :ohdear:

Also, my Metroid submission comes from a place of love. I don't want to be responsible for any tears.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

This is far from an original observation, but 90% of Steam's recent problems seem to stem from the naive libertarian coder stereotype that makes up most of their staff. Eventually they're going to realise that they have to have tighter control or idiots run rampant.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Let's not do this again.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Three Moves Ahead is a real oddity in that I'll really enjoy hearing about a grognard wargame I'll never play. They have some really good game design chat sprinkled in.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How many Abject Sufferings eventually devolve into a discussion of what it's like to gently caress mascot characters?

In all fairness, there's also one episode discussing the merits of a time travelling coked up threesome between Gary and the Sierra Williams.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

We're probably going to wind up with a ban on Mad Max chat eventually, but until then I'd be really interested in the usual Dark Souls crowd's opinions on the oblique story telling that goes on in that film. Obviously they are massively tonally different but they are clearly drawing from a similar well on the method.

Thinking back on stuff like Bladerunner, you used to get a lot more of that in films before the current trend for excessive exposition took hold. Hopefully it comes back.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

If Kole is still willing to give it a shot, I'd be happy to write a quick start guide to Crusader Kings 2 for him.

I think the stories would be magical.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dr Sun Try posted:

Not sure if you've seen this:
http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/
It's a bit out of date due to patches/DLC; but should get you started

The CK2 thread is generally friendly to new players as well:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&pagenumber=1

CK2 is not nearly as impenetrable as many people think. Everything has a (relatively helpful) tooltip and the main goal is to get laid.

I'm not completely happy with the current state of the new player guides. People stop seeing the jankiness of CK2 interface quickly and get blind to what's blocking new players. I'll stick together a new one as a public service.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just caught the latest Woff, and it's definitely got me interested in giving Spiderman a swing :iamafag:

Also, had Kole really never heard Black Betty before, or was he just rendered inarticulate with mirth in the outro?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

I'm aware of the song, it was just so out of place that I was gobsmacked.

For anyone who doesn't listen to the show, we're talking about the amazing Spider Man City Raid game. I can't find a version without a lovely ad... sorry. http://www.arcadespidermangames.info/play/spiderman-city-raid.html

Can confirm, this is a pro-click.

Now to run all my anti-virus stuff,

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I absolutely loved Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2 when I first got my GBA and had all the time in the world. I barely made it 30 minutes into the DS version, and I don't think there was much difference really, I'd just developed the jrpg fatigue.

I would actually be really interested in a breakdown of how bad writing manifest in different cultures.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sweet. I've just bought King of Dragon Pass and I loved playing Doom 2 and Paper Mario. Other submissions have been killing it recently so I'm going to have to step up my prose.

Also, it occurred to be that there must be a solid goof about Gary's neighbour's dickless brother and that guy that talked about grinding his dick off in Bloodborne, but it's just not coming to me.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Further to the Abject Suffering chat: Gary, I can confirm that hedgehogs have a complete set of mammalian genitals. Wonder no longer.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

After the Asperger's Anime guy, the Swastika guy, and the Glorious Nippon guy, I just kinda assume that anyone getting salty at Gary or Kole is just a loving idiot and leave it at that.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm in actual pain from laughing so hard at the Angel Quiz video from Abject Suffering. Just, wow, that was something special. Even the background details, like heaven's oil derricks, are stunning.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

gently caress yes, WOFF on King of Dragon Pass http://duckfeed.tv/woff/111

One of my favorite fantasy games of all time, and I've never been sold so hard on a fantasy setting. Go out and buy it if the WOFF episode makes it sound at all appealing to you.

I feel like Gary is trying to kill Kole with laughter in every episode, but this time he very nearly succeeds.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just finished listening to the Watch Out for Fireballs on System Shock 2.

I honestly think you guy's opinion on the game isn't nearly as controversial as you think it is. Pretty much all of the bad design you discuss is fairly widely derided. I think the debate basically splits down into whether it's a gem set in a turd or a turd set in a diamond.

Couple of other points:
The model enhancement mod that Kole was using is absolute poo poo. In addition to the indefensible giant breasts it gives all women characters, it turns the weird and creepy design of the hybrids into angry zombie men that just look dreadful. The original version of the mod replaced the cyborg midwife's skull faced raw flesh design with a naked version of the giant boob model with metal legs. I think the most recent version has moved back to higher poly version of the skull face design, but the original graphic are still significantly better in terms of evoking the horror tone much better (which might explain why you didn't find it as scary as Gary).

I think the story about the ending cinematic is that it was originally contracted out, but Ken Levine hated what the contractor produced, so they had to produce a new ending in a hurry with absolutely no budget left. This scenario implies the existence of an ending even worse than the one we got which is hard to believe, or that Ken Levine genuinely can't tell the difference between good and bad.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 6, 2015

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I literally never heard of the game before. How can it be so widely regarded and yet unknown? Did it get buried in the DS shitvalanch?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

For me it's a game I overall enjoyed but there are some truly terrible design choices there. The twitch reaction difficulty level is probably the biggest one for me, since it means I will never get to share the game with a lot of people I know would otherwise enjoy the good parts.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

I feel that way about LISA, which is brainbreakingly hard to the point where I just quit playing because of how annoying it was. I really loved everything about it except the hosed up difficulty which is a huge shame.

I can give LISA some more slack on that front since it fits in with the theme and tone, but I agree with the frustration.

Irish comedian Dara O'Brien has a pretty good bit on the absurdity of video games as a medium preventing you from experiencing them. (could someone not stuck in the sticks on a crappy phone connection post a link?)

VVV Thanks! VVV

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 15, 2015

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Fawf posted:

I just replayed it after it came up here and it's so good, once I was able to have a posse I'd start most battles by firing myself out of a cannon into the enemy's tank to sabotage the ammo delivery systems and it felt great every time.

I only discovered that was possible when one of my idiot posse knocked me into the cannon. Probably my fastest turn from annoyance to delight.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

What was wrong with the Securiton vault elevator? Is this some kind of precursor to the Iron Keep Bridge where a 5 second break of immersion in a hundred hour game causes a segment of society to have a loving breakdown?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

:saddowns:

That's actually pretty funny.

Anyhoo, need to write up my 1000 word treatise on why this thing Kole loves is trash.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Woffle posted:

The Fallout Debate: 2016. Given that Zack has a powerful 2nd in Riff, I'll need to find a sidekick.

Isn't that the whole point of having a Kole?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh wait, I might be thinking of THEGREATBLACKOTAKU, Brennan Williams, who is a former football player turned professional wrestler, and also a gigantic anime/game dork.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brennan_Williams
I think I heard Brennan on an episode of Super Best Friend Cast. Really fun guest.

He sounded like a decent human being though, so probably wouldn't associate with TotalBiscuit.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think Kole was asking which of the games I love he's taken a dump on in the last WoFF

I was a big fan of Metroids Prime and Fusion, and goddamn love Banjo Kazooie. I agree with with your Metroid views after much soul searching, but BK is still amazing gently caress you.

(Love the show :ohdear: )

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think Banjo-Kazooie gets more flak than it deserves due to Rare's later games doubling down on the worst parts of the game. BK itself is light enough that its problems don't really drag it down the way it does the sequel.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Also the origin of the tower defence genre. Bizarrely influential for a game that's ok, but not amazing.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm just a collosal GB&KR fanboy so I'd be delighted to listen to all of that. Just bought a house though, so I can't justify upping my patreon contribution.

A monster manual podcast would be ballin' . I managed to find both books in charity shops and they are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

Man. I can't exactly personally relate to either, but between the discussion of mementos of old relationships and the guy who played Portal after two decades on death row, the latest WOFF extrasode was a hell of an emotional rollercoaster. Did not see that one coming.

Looks like my submission didn't send properly due to my crappy wifi at the time. You folks missed a primo 'portal up to the iron keep' joke on the reception for 2.

• Locked thread