Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I kiiiiinda get what they mean by that, even if I wouldn't describe the entire period like that? Early titles with redbook tended to have very... a lot of it reminded me of the cheap "read a storybook to kids" multimedia stuff that PCs had. Composers eventually figured it out and used the sound hardware to better effect, but a lot of titles give me that "generic woodwind with some digital instruments" feeling early on. But, having not listened to them yet, I might be misrepresenting the argument entirely.

Most games on the Neo Geo CD pretty much contradicts this since SNK had an actual in-house band, and they put out incredible music for years and years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

We've called it kindling up to this point, but we might need to shift to "transfusion".

Surprised that you guys never touched on Shadow Tower Abyss. I played through it last weekend and that game is way more Souls than King's Field.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know if you've played it before, but It's a super interesting game. You can really feel the shift from King's Field to Souls is creeping in in a big way. It still has a few annoyances like the respawning enemies, but the atmosphere is outstanding and it has dual analogue controls so it plays pretty smoothly compared to King's Field. Also if you ever wanted an assault rifle or a grenade launcher in a Souls game well here you go.

And for your purposes it's a pretty short game. I finished it in 10 hours and I took my time with it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm rather surprised you didn't consider those dudes in wheelchairs with gatling guns steampunk.

It's crank-operated, though? Like I don't think there's anything using steam power in Bloodborne.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well the steampunk aesthetic generally includes most complex unwieldy technologies Victorian people generally wouldn't have.

Sure but a core component of steampunk is arguably.... steam, more specifically a focus on tech. Bloodborne doesn't even have much mechanical stuff in it, there are no gears or gauges or anything like that, and stuff like the stake driver is very basic. It's more like Victorian gothic than anything. Unless you'd call something like Frankenstein steampunk as well.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 1, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Obviously also a lot of fantasy stuff in there. And you know Lovecraftian cosmic horror. And classic movie monsters.

Point is, Bloodborne is a lot of things, but steampunk it is very much not, even disregarding the dumb fashion trend and looking at stuff like Arcanum or The Difference Engine.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

The problem with steampunk is that it's impossible to be punk by adopting the aesthetics and cultural background of a classist, sexist, colonial and white supremacist society. The aesthetic can work on its own by its own merits, but trying to be subversive with it is absolutely incoherent. You can either go "the victorians were so cooooooollll" or "the victorians were genocidal monsters", but doing both at the same time just completely fails tonally. Nerds don't understand history, politics, or culture, go figure

Because steampunk is loving all about being historically and politically accurate

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It really does stand the test of time. It has inspired so many games, but still it stands head and shoulders above them all, especially in terms of the way it communicates to the player. Pretty much every indie retro metroidvania could be measurably improved if it used a similar economy of words instead of constantly vomiting exposition. I'm looking at you, Axiom Verge.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Honestly, I played Super Metroid for the first time a few years ago and it was a chore to finish. It just felt super clunky and floaty compared to the Marios and Mega Mans (Mega Men?) I was playing in the early 90s instead, over even more recent 2D Metroids like Fusion and Zero Mission. I'd probably just chalk that up to when I first experienced it relative to other games but I'd be surprised if it's as good as you remember.

Iiiiiiiiiiit totally is. And I personally prefer the floaty jumping to Fusion/ZM. Samus should be cumbersome, she's a walking tank.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So this might be jumping the gun a bit, but Patricia Hernandez is moving to NYC which presumably means Danielle is leaving Thumbs and either she or Patricia will probably be joining Giant Bomb.

Or none of the above. Well, Danielle is probably leaving Thumbs if she's moving.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Kotaku is in NYC; doesn't Patricia work for them already? Also, it feels weird to speculate about people's lives like this.

They already said they're moving due to SF's stupid rent prices. Also it's more speculation re: GB's new hire than it is about their personal circumstances in particular. I think Danielle would be a good fit, not trying to be a creep.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It should have been called The Hexer either way, but that was probably trademarked I'm guessing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pasco posted:

Huh. I haven't played the Witcher 3 yet, but crafting in 2 was pretty important, so it'd be a shame if they got it wrong in the sequel.

They really didn't. The changes they made to the crafting system are awesome, and they encourage you to actually use your poo poo instead of sit on it. Gear crafting is pretty much the same as in most other games of this type, but at least the ingredient requirements aren't insane and you can just buy most of the poo poo you need from the same vendors you can craft the thing at. I really don't know why you would complain about the crafting in W3.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

That's... cool?

It actually is cool! Junji Ito is the master of surreal dream-like body horror. Uzumaki is probably my favourite thing of his. Everyone's probably seen The Enigma of Amigara Fault but that's one of his too.

Things Junji Ito have also made horror stories out of: Fish, grease, comedy, population density, fashion, sewing, smoking, er... cats?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 29, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They're both good!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Old Swerdlow posted:

The content in the Giant Bombcast really does not justify a weekly three hour podcast.

Counterpoint: It does, that podcast is still great. I know the beastcast is the new hot poo poo, but the Bombcast is consistently great with a few exceptions - occasionally there'll be some Jeff/Brad being a downer tangent, but these last two episodes have been really good.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 30, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Idle Thumbs is a podcast that I'm sadly not that into anymore, due to the realities of them not having time to play anything. It's so much less in-depth than it used to be, and also just less funny in general due to too much time spent navel gazing on singular topics. It's not a long podcast to begin with, but it's starting to feel really long in the tooth.

Listening to the Mad Men podcast really made this clear to me, since that's the level of discussion that I feel used to be the norm. It's not really their fault, I suppose, but I sure hope their game turns out to be good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't care that they're covering different topics or that their podcast sucks in general, I just don't get why they're transitioning into a podcast network when they barely have the passion or insight to sustain what they're already doing.

You're right, the people producing some of the best games-related content on the internet have no passion

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

_jink posted:

Danielle played 40 hours of the Witcher, and all she could think of for the podcast was a tiny, forgettable goat sidequest, followed by 5 minutes of riffing about a gag in the opening cutscene :psyduck: CMON MINTS !!

I like Danielle, but she's really an extremely bad podcaster. Every impression she gives about a game she's played has about the same amount of insight or potential for debate as an Amazon user review or something. Which is troubling considering she's the only one who actually plays games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Illbleed is the game that Deadly Premonition wishes it could be.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sophomorehoffman posted:

I have a copy of Maximum Carnage on SNES that's been sitting on a bookshelf for a few years. I need to try to play past the first few minutes sometime. Worth it?

I mean it's kinda fun for 5 minutes, and it looks and sounds pretty good, but it's a crappy game that gets annoyingly difficult and there are no continues.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd say there is definitely a heavy visual novel influence on Ace Attorney, but of course in practice it's more similar to a point and click game. Stylistically there are a lot of similarities, though, like the way every scene opens, or just having big character portraits in the center of the screen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

KoldPT posted:

Is GC the best version of that?

Nah Xbox. Though I think that version doesn't run great on BC, I seem to recall it crashing a bunch when last I tried it on 360

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Your way works too posted:

Whoops. What's the deal with the Ethan Carter people?

Looking it up, they (or at least the creative director) seems to be an unrepetant Gamergate shithead

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LA Noire is a really stupid game that falls apart as soon as you examine any one mechanic with critical thinking. I still love it though, there's nothing else quite like it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Do player Shadow Tower Abyss, it's so much better than the original, and the closest you can get to Souls outside of Souls.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Super Mario Call of Cthulhu is a really well-designed hack that manages to pull off some really mind-melting effects in the mario engine.

I had not heard of this, but WOW some of the tricks it pulls WRT engine manipulation and level design are loving wild. Both from a creative and technical standpoint, this might be the most impressive romhack I've ever seen, in fact it's more impressive than most indie platformers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Geno is pinnochio in a cape with machine guns in his elbows. What's so bad about him?

I mean his design isn't outstanding, but all the new character designs from SMRPG are pretty weird due to the odd 3D model-style they tried to go with. The game, while easy, was still fun and was an interesting first try at giving the mario world something a bit more substantial. Plus, the music was in-loving-credible.

I'm not seeing what's nonsensical about that game either, unless you mean characters like Booster are too weird. It's a perfectly straightforward game that holds up really well in my opinion.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's true, but there are tons of new characters in the M&L games as well, they're just maybe less eccentric. I think that adds to the charm of SMRPG, though, it feels completely separate from the other two Mario RPG series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jippa posted:

I know I've asked this question in a previous version of this thread and the fact that I can't remember the answer leads me to believe that nobody knows. So did we ever find out what clint hocking was doing at valve?

It seems Clint Hocking has literally spent the last 7 years working on poo poo that will never see the light of day

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Contradiction pretty much completely subsumed Her Story in my mind, being a vastly superior procedural crime FMV game, even if the gameplay particulars or the tone aren't comparable.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Apparently Japanese is just such an imprecise language that it's become a cultural norm to repeat oneself to avoid misunderstandings, and this is definitely reflected in most translated media. It doesn't really bother me that much, and I think most good translations, like Phoenix Wright, make the best of it by adding more character to the dialogue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Sometimes you just have to embrace the weirdness to enjoy a good anime.

Trying to frame LOGH that way makes little sense since it's actually just a pretty straightforward historical drama that doesn't really partake in most modern embarrassing anime tropes, outside of general flamboyancy of some characters and Japanese cultural stuff like "if you're over 30 you might as well be dead". It's a show that is 90% people in rooms sitting and talking. I feel like the only reason it isn't live action is because it's in space.

I'm going through it now and it's fantastic. It's so progressive for its time, and it's kind of crazy how relevant its politics are to what's going on in the world right now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I honestly have no idea what people who complain about Nier's gameplay are talking about.

Like, there's one tedious necessary area and that's it. And some annoying sidequests, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

I just find it very boring. There's no depth there, and as a hack 'n' slash it isn't very satisfying either. I'm happy to have experienced it, but I don't think I'd ever play it again, soundtrack is the best part.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

People who signed up for Steam to play DOTA evidently only care about playing DOTA, to the surprise of no one

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I live like 10 minutes from an IKEA so I go there all the time and pretty much all my furniture comes from there and it's cheap and awesome and I have never had a problem assembling anything and they have really good, cheap food in their cantina.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

I haven't seen much of that game, but based on what I've seen I can understand how some people might not like it because being ironically crap is dangerously close to being actually crap.

Contradiction is not ironically crap. It's actually really easy to spot the difference between a cheesy work where everyone is enjoying themselves and care about their product, and something like Kung Fury, which is a big cynical piece of poo poo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Not at all, I've simply known a few pathological liars in my time.

You're a scumbag, gently caress you

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Internet posted:

They are all posters from the Giant Bomb thread, a thread so bad they moved it to RGD despite it being primarily about video content. They have driven off 3 main Giant Bomb staff members that wanted to chill and post there.

Cool random thread vendetta that has nothing to do with what's going on here

icantfindaname posted:

See what I mean?

That guy still gets poo poo for that, I love the GB tread. This loving thread, meanwhile......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Urging someone to go back and play Peace Walker after playing MGSV is really weird since MGSV is multitudes of degrees better in literally every aspect in literally every way. It'd be like going back to an Early Access game after playing the full build

• Locked thread