Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Thirsty Dog posted:

As if Idle Thumbs would play anything that's not a mobile or itch.io game!

Or the Murder She Wrote board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm that guy that loves RE4 and hates 5. 5 lacked all the bit that 4 had and was a bore to play.

4 had inventory tetris. 5 didn't. 4 wins.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zapjackson posted:

Zach Barth has been doing a podcast where he interviews other indie game devs. Kevin and I were on the first episode, and the second one (featuring Brendon Chung of Blendo Games) just came out. It's good if you're interested in the dev side of things. I hope he keeps doing them.

The Zachtronics Podcast feed is here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheZachtronicsPodcast

This is a good podcast if you want to hear Zack and Kevin talk about how they don't have version control because they don't need it, and then talk about a time where they had trouble because they made a change directly to their production server, and didn't have a way to quickly revert it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zapjackson posted:

Yep! It's such an informative podcast that it grants total Internet strangers 100% familiarity with our present and past workflow and absolute expertise about how we could have avoided every mistake we ever made!

Use version control.

e: You can make a private bitbucket repo for free. Just do it.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 9, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's a good cast, and they've just released their 3rd episode: episode 1.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hakkesshu posted:

Urging someone to go back and play Peace Walker after playing MGSV is really weird since MGSV is multitudes of degrees better in literally every aspect in literally every way. It'd be like going back to an Early Access game after playing the full build

Peace Walker is a different game from TPP, and I honestly think that the systems that TPP took from Peace Walker were mostly better done in Peace Walker. Or, rather, the things that were bad about Peace Walker, they doubled down on. A lot of the grindier aspects of Peace Walker are present and working double time in TPP. And the payoff isn't as good. There isn't really a set of super powerful end game items, just stuff that's slightly more powerful than what you got after playing for a few hours.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Hitting blocks above you in 3d isn't very fun so once they figured that out, they probably just threw out the book.

They also probably figured out that a SM64 level takes way longer to make than a SMW level, which probably made them not be as refined. Also, the reason mario is super ugly is probably because the vertex animation meant that they had to spend a long time animating, and they couldn't just improve the model later without redoing all of the animations. Everything about the game feels this way. They had to start way before they knew what an n64 was exactly, and without any experience making 3d games. It was all about figuring it out as they went. I'm amazed that it turned out so well.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

al-azad posted:

This has been plaguing the 3D Zelda's since Ocarina. The 3D games have been really action light, relatively easy compared to the 2D games especially when it comes to heart management, and have a focus on these specialized items with limited uses to solve puzzles that are basically exclusive to the dungeon you find them in. Zelda U seems to finally be ditching their 3D formula to try something totally new.

I find it really funny that Zelda is going "open world," as though that's something new. What were all of the previous zelda games? Does "open world" mean I have to climb towers to see sidequests now?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
At first I thought it was going to be about the shenmue thing. This is way more hilarious.

What exactly do they propose is going on? The feminist cabal has infiltrated tecmo and is using their power to forcibly block them from engaging in a profitable venture?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

al-azad posted:

What was the Shenmue thing? Just Jeff hating on it?

To enjoy Giant Bomb you just have to learn to replace everything Jeff says with "THIS IS BULLSHIT" and "WHOOO-CARES"

They got an email about how the shenmue community really hates jeff, and then they started joking about the concept of "the shenmue community." It was less "shenmue is dumb" and more "people who like shenmue are dumb."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The phantom pain really makes it hard for you to replay it. If I wanted to go for a high score in a mission in Peace walker, I'd select the mission, pick my loadout, and go. For TPP, you need to make sure that you can afford the loadout, pick it, deploy in free roam, wait for the helicopter to land, go and setup the mission area (blow up watchtowers, open gates, etc), then go to the start of the mission area, wait for the appropriate time of day, and then start the mission.

If I complete the mission and want to go again, I need to reacquire the resources for the loadout and if I extracted via cargo container (or otherwise modified the world state in a way that was undesirable), I need to play 5 missions in order to respawn it (c2w is the one you do over and over), and then redeploy as above.

Oh, and if I need a top tier weapon that I haven't researched yet, I should grind out a ton of resources and also wait over a week real time.

I'm also a little resentful of the fact that the mission time leaderboards that were present in GZ are absent. I'm not sure what happened that they couldn't be carried over into TPP.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Funkmaster General posted:

None of this is true, though? Other than paying for your loadout, I guess. You can start missions from your helicopter and never need to go to free roam mode at all. No missions require being "set up." Starting a mission in free roam doesn't require you to wait until the right time of day, and in fact the vast majority of missions can be done at any time. On the rare occasions when a specific time of day is required, starting the mission will automatically flash time forward. You shouldn't be using loadouts that you can't afford to use repeatedly, but even if you are you aren't REQUIRED to grind out stuff for them because you can just choose a different loadout and there's like one mission in the game that requires a specific weapon.

The only missions that need to "respawn" are side missions, and those can only become unavailable because another one is taking their spot, so repeating one other mission over and over wouldn't do it anyway. Missions get less rewarding over time but you can still DO them even if you hit zero reward. There's only two missions I can think of that you get locked out of, and by the time you hit endgame they become unlocked again so...

e: I know a lot of stuff was changed for the worse/more grindy in patches since I finished, but what you're describing sounds like a completely different game and I'm a little baffled.

The part that you chopped off the top of my post explained that I was talking about replaying for high scores, not just beating the missions.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It isn't. I'm just talking about my experience with it. Though, it does touch on how obtuse the systems surrounding the actual gameplay are.

In PW once you complete the research, you're free to play the game how you wish, while in TPP, deployment costs for top items mean you either just don't use those items or you grind picking up flowers, or you wait a few hours for your flower deployments to come back. The system doesn't really do anything except make you play the game less.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Top rank sleep grenades and tranq weapons have absurd requirements.

But, really, what is the actual purpose of the deployment costs? They make people hesitant to deploy with a whole bunch of tools they might not use, which runs counter to where the fun lies in that game, which is in trying novel strategies. I can't think of anything positive that they do. The research costs could have been tuned to offset the lower amount of resources that you're spending. My guess is that it was intended to feed the management sim part of the game, as being a way of increaing your operating costs as you grow. But, when your plant income is primarily from pickups in missions, what this actually means is that you just eat into the reserves you picked up early in the game whem deployment costs were low, and when you run out, that's it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

al-azad posted:

There's a penis in Firewatch?

Right at the start. Can't miss it.

Mandatory Man Meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Just get James, Sean, Danielle and Steve to make their own weekly podcast of idle thumbs rejects.

• Locked thread