Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I like Draft Souls as a general gamescast. Hosted by Matt Lees who wrote for a couple places in the past, but I know from the tabletop game site Shut Up and Sit Down. People who were talking about enjoying Scottish accents last thread would be wise to try this one out, lots of the guests are Scottish.

I'll also toss out a recommendation for Justice Points, which I found to be a much more enjoyable alternative to what Isometric was supposedly offering up in that they talk about games and are women who care about feminist/social justice issues.

Spawn on Me seems cool but I really can't handle the long rear end conversational format casts like this and Giant Bomb.

Anyone have any solid board game casts they like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah, some episodes are much better than others and it is never really consistently great. Its a backup if I want to listen to more gamescasts after Thumbs and C&C mostly.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Crate and Crowbar was a week late with the episode title but "Forget it Jake, it's Pootown" stomps the heck out of the retroactively weak "Pooptown, New Mexico."

Thumbs even have a Jake! It's so good!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Don't know if it's been brought up before (or if I posted about it even) but I really like Justice Points as a gaming podcast with a sharp feminist bent. They have been pretty consistently snagging some solid guests lately as well, including Thumbs' own Danielle. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I greatly prefer them over Isometric which was touted as THE feminist gamescast but I sort of really hate. Check 'em out.

Stan Taylor fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 12, 2015

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I've probably asked this before, but does anyone have any general boardgame 'cast recommendations? Shut Up and Sit down used to be my go to, but they tend to not post them regularly and also have shows devoted to those "game experience" room escape type things that I will never be able to play. I've got On Board Games and Board Games To Go in my feed, but both are kinda dry and too nerdy for me. Three Moves Ahead is rad, but they generally cover hardcore wargames if they are doing a tabletop episode, and I don't play those.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Sexy Randal posted:

As a reader I love your emails CI. What a weird goddamned thing the steam economy is...

Also love when the thumbs read valve economy letters. I have been wondering what the deal is with the Dota trading scene lately. They recently made it so new items aren't able to be traded or sold until months after they are unlocked, I guess in an attempt to get people to buy chests/items directly? It's really confusing, and I don't think I remember a blog post about why they did that. Anyone know what's up with that, or how it's affected the trading scene? I don't know that Invictus ever posts his summaries here directly but it's something I've been confused by ever since they did it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh man, this weeks Crate & Crowbar discussion of Batman was wonderful. They've surpassed Thumbs (sorry Chris and Jake) as my favorite gamescast and more people ought to listen to them. So good.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Pasco posted:

So The Crate and Crowbar have set up a Patreon.

I wouldn't normally promote in this way, but this is a really fantastic PC gaming focused podcast, and one of the best podcasts I listen too, held back only by stunningly low audio-quality.

I've never backed a patreon before, I wish i could just flat out give them $20 or something. I guess I'll chip in like a buck an episode at least until they get a couple decent microphones...

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Crate & Crowbar are about to get their first patreon monthly allowance and I think the first thing they're doing is upgrading their recording equipment. So now you whiners can start listening to the best video games podcast.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

XenoCrab posted:

Now they just need to stop constantly rotating out the hosts that are good and interesting for the hosts that are lame and boring.

My favorites are Tom Francis and Chris, and the rest kind of get jumbled together because I'm racist against people from the UK. None of them strike me as particularly uninsightful though.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Starting a new game of Link to the Past thanks to that episode of Retronauts. I always drop off shortly after I unlock the dark world for some reason. Got Link Between Worlds ready to start once I finally finished this thing.

Thanks Retronauts.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Christ what an awful, stupid derail.

Crate and Crowbar still doesn't sound better that I can tell. How long does it take patreon to give people money?

Also, a dumb thought. Since I don't really follow games press or hype, I am pretty susceptible to buying games when all the podcasts I listen to rave about them. I'm currently keeping myself from buying Mario Maker and MGSV after the past two weeks of hearing about how great they are. I used to have no problem waiting for sales! Lousy casts.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I had a kneejerk "oh gently caress off" at the start of that email, but it was pretty sweet actually. Just one dude who's tired of "lol clown is scary." Its not an argument that clowns are oppressed or anything.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Solemn Sloth posted:

This weeks crate and crowbar is great, already crossed three things off my wish list on steam 45 minutes in.

If you're talking about their take on the steam hardware, I felt like they were a bit off the mark. The controller is super weird and hit or miss based on people trying the one I've got, but the link worked pretty well for the most part right out of the box, and they've been running out patches in the steam beta client almost daily since I got it. It's loving great and exactly what I wanted. The controller definitely needs some more time for people to figure out how to configure it though. None of the stuff I got was outright broken like they described.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
If the sound quality is what was keeping you from getting into Crate & Crowbar, they got new mics a few weeks back. They still have some issues with the mix but it sounds a lot better than before. Except for this last episode because only one of them can work the new mics and he wasn't there so they did the old method.

Good pod.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Rocket Slime fuckin owns. It's been a thing I've known about because I remember the EGM review of it, but I only played it like 3 years ago. I think It got game of the month whenever it came out?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh man listening to the Dragon Quest Retronauts episode makes me want to go back and try out 4 or 5 again. I played maybe a dozen hours of 9 and had a decent time with the stories in all the different towns, but I totally forgot what the main plot was. Also listening to it after they announced the localizations of 7 and 8 on 3DS is pretty great.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jippa posted:

I haven't heard an IGN podcast in over 7 years or so, if you wondered what you were missing out on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8AEyqb50l0

Not able to play this at work, but it looks like a bunch of gamergate people are mad in the comments? What did they say?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Re: C&C vs DS I've noticed the same thing. Crate and Crowbar guys are great at getting into why something doesn't work, but the daft souls people are usually vague and describe like themes over mechanics.

Thumbs still don't talk about games as much, but I still dig them generally. Lots of talk of the first couple hours of Fallout 4 in the past two weeks.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I feel like Thumbs is really hitting a good stride lately. I assume it's cause firewatch is shipping next week so they have time to play games, but mostly I just love Jake talking about building a sick rig.

Also, I know some podcasters follow this thread. I guess patreon is probably what you most appreciate on terms of monetary support, but I can't really swing that for multiple casts. Anyone have any merch recommendations?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Crate & Crowbar does that, but they usually are still playing the same game the next week, or will talk about how they got back into an older game or are still playing Dota or whatever. They have sold me on a ton more games than any other cast has simply because they are really good at getting into why a game does or doesn't work.

But yeah, its still annoying if you have more than one game cast you listen to each week and they are afraid of spoilers on The Witness or something.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Thumbs has been great lately, which I'm chalking up to Firewatch having shipped. I'm also loving Crate & Crowbar still, them poking through The Division today made me really happy for some reason.

Also I'm really loving Retronauts more than I did before, even just going through the backlog. The hosts are kind of endearingly nerdy and super knowledgeable about old games and their development. Weird learning something new about like Ocarina of Time or whatever. Good pods!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

I was keeping it together until the whole sound of the neighborhood pizza truck (*BZZZZZZZ* ) bit.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Warcraft 3 had the custom scene that directly led to the popularity of both tower defense and "moba" games. If you want to be obtuse and trace everything back to the first instance of a similar thing in games feel free. If you want to be a normal person, Warcraft 3 was huge.

Good slate of Woff episodes coming up. I'm ending up less enamored with New Vegas as time passes, but I'm still looking forward to that.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Funkmaster General posted:

I don't think it's being obtuse or looking for "similar things" to point out that there was literally a popular user-made gametype called "defense of the ancients" prior to what most people credit with being the birth of the thing called "defense of the ancients."

I was more referring to the dude talking about Dune and Warcraft 1. I know about Aeon of Strife. WC3 was all the right things at all the right time to really blow up in customs though.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

HMS Boromir posted:

I feel like a big part of what makes WC3's editor and custom maps attractive to me, much moreso than SC1 or SC2, is that the game itself is in a pretty generic fantasy setting and the "creep" mechanic gives you a lot of generic monsters you can adapt to your purposes. It's hard to make something in Starcraft that feels like it's something other than Starcraft.

Another thing that made customs so great were the huge amounts of bespoke models for different unit types and factions. Game was loving huge.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Thirsty Dog posted:

Quoting a post of mine from last year:

So Daft Souls dialed this up to 11 in the latest episode and I just can't be arsed any more. Mining the rich seam of humour that is bleating about the "PC master race" crowd for 20 minutes was audio hell. Maybe as a one-off, or if it was, y'know, funny or interesting, but they spend so long sneering at people and just whining at faceless caricatures that I just can't be bothered with the podcast any more.

Ah well. At least PC Gamer UK has started up again, although the sound levels are all over the shop and it's not yet a C&C-standard podcast.

I don't know if this was the same episode of Daft Souls but the one where they were complaining about people with huge playtime logged on games leaving negative reviews drove me up the wall. You can play a game to kill time, I've dropped loads of time into silly games that I don't really like for all sorts of reasons. And the flipside is if a review only has like an hour and a half played of Skyrim, how do they know it's bad?

I think that was just that one guest they had on though. But yeah Daft Souls is never really on point for me like C&C is usually. I haven't checked out the new PCG cast yet. How is that one?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm never able to keep up with WofF episodes so I just listened to the portal one and holy poo poo the "9/11 as a metric" bit killed me dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Koholint posted:

Is there a stated reason why Sean hasn't been on Idle Thumbs in so long? I don't mean to pry if it's some personal reason, but they've never acknowledged it (that I can remember anyway).

On the thumbs forums they said they wanted to lock down a more stable lineup after having like 5 rotating hosts.

I want more Vanaman. Lazy devs hosts.

• Locked thread