Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't usually like the skits, but the COD one was pretty great. The episode got me interested in a game I'd otherwise pass off, so that's cool.

Also, the latest episode of Check It Out Comrade convinced me to buy Hotline Miami 2 after hearing mixed opinions about it. I only just finished Hotline Miami 1 a week ago and I figure if the sequel is that hard it's best to jump into it while my skills are sharp.

You guys were right. The pause screen is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I didn't play 6 but Resident Evil 5 was totally okay and I think it's weird that somebody could love 4 and despise 5

I'm that guy that loves RE4 and hates 5. 5 lacked all the bit that 4 had and was a bore to play.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Song For The Deaf posted:

We're ready to announce the game we're covering on episode 100 of Watch Out for Fireballs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGM20MejGGg

Special thanks to forums user AllisonByProxy for creating this awesome trailer.

I was worried that you had a chosen a game that wouldn't be worthy of the 100th episode.

How wrong was I!

Two questions though:
How long do I have to send in a reply to get it on air?
Can I send in my thoughts on Planescape: Torment?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I had a few guesses as to what the 100th episode could have been.

My first guess was Super Mario Bros 3, then I saw that the mystery 100th episode was paired with I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream and thought it'd be an adventure game like Monkey Island.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

doctorfrog posted:

I'm listening to the earlier Idle Thumbs episodes, and man have they grown since 2008. I'm sure it gets ironed out soonish, but there's a lot of impassioned speechifying by Chris, with word whiskers frequently pounced on by his co-hosts. Most recent one I've heard has Chris talking about how he just can't be bothered to play a game that isn't on Steam.

boost, scoops, blown away, most viscerally.

It's fun to listen to, though. Such innocent times, Senor Superdouche, additional catchphrase, musical interlude.

("Scoops" is actually an Engi on my current FTL playthrough. Hey there, little gray dude.)

I've been binging Idle Thumbs since October and its been quite the ride (I'm about 80% caught up). I wasn't expecting the podcast to be so funny, but sometimes it gets downright hilarious. Jake of course is the funniest, whether it be intentional or not.

As for FTL, I once had a Mantis named Nick Breckon and when I warped him into enemy ships, I called it the "Breckoning".

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

But where else can I get a sweet bacon patterned tie lollllllll???

Stuff For Smart Masses, indeed.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

HMS Boromir posted:

While Drakkhen is still fresh in everyone's minds, I'd like to make sure you all see whatever the hell this is. The SNES version is apparently slightly different sounding.

That was amazing. Video games will never beat that.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I was wondering if Nick and/or Gary have heard of Environmental Station Alpha. It's a Troidlike and I think there's a good chance you guys will like it more than Axiom Verge because it has great exploration.

The only problems I have with it is sometimes it's pretty linear and a couple of the boss battles are unusually hard.

I just finished it and I had a great time with. It's the closest thing to Super Metroid I have played in the last while.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The new WOFF! about Spider-Man 2 just went live. Listen in for disturbing hypotheses about where scarabs come from.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/105

Up next is Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, then Zone of the Enders, and our summer RPG: Paper Mario.

I'm not surprised you guys are doing Paper Mario. I consider it the evolution of the JRPG-- it doesn't have many of the drawbacks that other examples of the genre have.

Personally, it's one of my favourite games and I'm more hyped for this episode then I have been since first listening to the podcast.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

My big problem with TTYD is that it rehashes the first game beat by beat at some points, and not in an interesting way like what Metal Gear Solid 2 did. Other than that, I think it's an absolute blast with loads of personality and great characters.

Super Paper Mario was a flawed game but I appreciate it for mixing RPG elements in 2D platforming in a way that differentiates itself from Metroidvanias. I was surprised with how dramatic the story gets, and how successful it is at selling that drama. It was worth my time.

Edit: My nickname for Video Games Hot Dog is 'JoKeRZ FM' (Jim, Kevin, Riff, Zack)

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 26, 2015

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Even when characters aren't saying anything they are saying too much.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't normally post about new Bonfireside Chats here, but Danielle Riendeau joined us this week, and it was a great time.

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/71

Sorry if this is mentioned in the episode, but what areas are up next for BSC and how long do I have to submit a response? I just finished Bloodborne and I'm in the middle of getting caught up with BSC.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

TetsuoTW posted:

For the bonus, tangentially related podcasts section, Laser Time's Thirty Twenty Ten, while not specifically about games, does cover the new releases 30, 20, and 10 years ago each week.

Oh that's just 80's kid pandering nonsense.

I'm subscribing immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

TetsuoTW posted:

As an 80's kid myself, I find it less pandering and more a depressing realization that the 80s were thirty loving years ago.

I listened to an episode today and shared that kind of melancholy at the same time enjoying the hosts and their discussions.

• Locked thread