Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

NickPancakes posted:

Added to our list. Thanks friend.

On another note, I played some Towerfall Ascension this weekend and really enjoyed it. Can anyone think of any other couch co-op indie stuff that's come out somewhat recently? I'm thinking of pairing Towerfall with something else and forcing Gary to come hang out and play them both for a day and then record an ep about them.

There's an abundance of these right now, but I'd put Nidhogg at the top of the list if it's just you two. If you have two other people, Sportsfriends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The intro to Phantom Pain is much more interactive than previous heavily-scripted sequences in MGS. You are definitely in a scripted (often-literal) hallway with a lot of small cutscenes, but you frequently have control of the character while things are happening, even if it is just following an NPC or pressing "Up" on the stick. I was definitely growing tired of it by the end, but it's far better than the hour-long cutscenes you can just put the controller down for during other games in the series.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The realization that this is how these puzzles work is a great moment and you should spoiler that poo poo.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
From the first couple minutes it seems like the video part is not super important. I wish it was in a podcast feed somewhere.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Woffle posted:

As far as the Witness, the key word in my point about the paper thing is "largely." I'm aware that several puzzles incorporate the environment, but the vast majority don't.

Each of those off putting factors would have been something I would have overcome if I were more of a puzzle game guy, I think. I love Portal, I'm loving The Talos Principle. But I'm never super psyched to do puzzles in the news paper or anything Again, some day I'm sure I'll check it out.

Thinking about it, the game really wouldn't work on paper, because opaque rules enforcement is a huge part of how it plays out. Learning the rules of the puzzles often involves finding a solution through experimentation and further experimenting to hone your understanding, and any hypothetical paper version of the Witness' puzzles would have to include the very rules they're trying to teach you so you can check your answers. It would completely fall apart without something else checking your answers. Could some of it work as a simple 2D video game? I guess, but the additional dimension of the island environment opens up the solution possibility space for all puzzles, even if they don't directly involve it.

• Locked thread