Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

buglord posted:

85%. Not great but not terrible. I tend to create my city in specialized islands. Could it be that a recycling center sends out a garbage truck 7 tiles away or something?

7 tiles is a fair distance for them to travel, I usually go with decentralised garbage facilities because all it takes is one blocked junction to cause big problems with that.

Try selecting a garbage truck and using the route view to see where it's going, it's also possible it's getting full before it reaches certain areas as they'll clear garbage down just by driving past a building with garbage needs.
Deathcare uses the same logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
New Franklin about banking and commerce. No actual gameplay until 45 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V44gkRzML9k

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

gently caress how did I miss that in my alerts

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is it possible to play without the deathcare mechanic? Just turn off the need to transport corpses entirely

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

VostokProgram posted:

Is it possible to play without the deathcare mechanic? Just turn off the need to transport corpses entirely

Lifecycle Rebalanced Revisited has that as an option now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's also a No Deathcare mod which removes the mechanic entirely.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's also a No Deathcare mod which removes the mechanic entirely.

Chairman Yang posted:

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do I turn off the ugly vanilla residential spikes again?

Are the content creator packs worth getting? They didn't exist last time I logged on.

Wow there are a TON of expansions since I last played like four years ago. Any worth getting?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 19, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I got all the expansions and just started replaying because I'm bored as hell. Any must have mods besides Network Extensions 2?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

I got all the expansions and just started replaying because I'm bored as hell. Any must have mods besides Network Extensions 2?

Oh bud, my mod list is pages long. But the essentials are fine road anarchy, prop and tree anarchy, traffic manager: presidential edition, metro overhaul, ploppable RICO, Find It, move it, more beautification, extra landscaping tools, all 25 areas purchasable, unlimited trees, no radioactive desert, and network tiling.

Basically go to the workshop, filter mods, sort by most subscribed, and go hog wild.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a thread for Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a thread for Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic?

Yes there is:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3885840

devo1989
Apr 5, 2007
Haven’t played this game since 2015 but wanting to jump back in after watching some of those crazy build videos by Kaminogi works etc where they are meticulously placing props and designing their cities.

Are you resigning yourself to playing a Bonafide model town maker at that point? And the original game balance of managing/budgeting your city is lost? Do all these props work as normal housing in the simulation? I assume they don’t cost money right?

Is there a sweet spot where you can be this creative while still actually having a city management game running in the background to deal with?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

um excuse me posted:

New Franklin about banking and commerce. No actual gameplay until 45 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V44gkRzML9k

I have been thinking about making a youtube channel and I thought I was about to invent a new genre

and then I found this guy's channel and it's very similar to my idea, executed better than I possibly could, years earlier

pretty annoyed, gently caress this nerd

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

devo1989 posted:

Is there a sweet spot where you can be this creative while still actually having a city management game running in the background to deal with?

In my experience, no.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

devo1989 posted:

Haven’t played this game since 2015 but wanting to jump back in after watching some of those crazy build videos by Kaminogi works etc where they are meticulously placing props and designing their cities.

Are you resigning yourself to playing a Bonafide model town maker at that point? And the original game balance of managing/budgeting your city is lost? Do all these props work as normal housing in the simulation? I assume they don’t cost money right?

Buildings that you hand-place still operate as part of the simulation in terms of providing housing, jobs, services, that kind of thing. But no, there isn't really a sweet spot between playing the actual game and making a cool-looking city. The management/budgeting aspect of C:S is very shallow and the "meta" at this point in terms of city design is hand-placing literally everything.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I have been thinking about making a youtube channel and I thought I was about to invent a new genre

and then I found this guy's channel and it's very similar to my idea, executed better than I possibly could, years earlier

His video release schedule crawls. I suppose there is room for you to do something, given it is just as informed.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

um excuse me posted:

His video release schedule crawls. I suppose there is room for you to do something, given it is just as informed.
Yeah, there can be more than one person doing this kind of series. In fact I think there already is. I know I'm looking for alternatives right now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I looked at the DLC for skylines and holy poo poo they have ~$140 worth of DLC now, most of it are just $3 content packs. . Starting to look a little like the Train Simulator DLC business strategy

I haven't played with this much since they added seasons (winter) and heating plants and probably blimps and the after dark dlc

Looks like they added two new $12-15 DLC, University and Harbor

Ignoring the price, are these major upgrades, is this like Cities: Skylines 1.4 -> 1.7 upgrade? Looks like a bunch of mass transit variations + helicopters

Trying to get a feel for if these DLC represent enough new content to dive back into the game

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I mean, Paradox is the publisher and basically all their games have a poo poo ton of DLC. Basically so much that a reasonable person would never buy all the DLC for many of their games.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hadlock posted:

I looked at the DLC for skylines and holy poo poo they have ~$140 worth of DLC now, most of it are just $3 content packs. . Starting to look a little like the Train Simulator DLC business strategy

I haven't played with this much since they added seasons (winter) and heating plants and probably blimps and the after dark dlc

Looks like they added two new $12-15 DLC, University and Harbor

Ignoring the price, are these major upgrades, is this like Cities: Skylines 1.4 -> 1.7 upgrade? Looks like a bunch of mass transit variations + helicopters

Trying to get a feel for if these DLC represent enough new content to dive back into the game

My view is that the DLC add much, much less content than mods/assets do. I have bought about half of them, most recently Parklife I think, but have never been blown away.

I really just wish they would make a sequel to this game. It's the best city builder out there but it's 5 years old at this point and making a good-looking city requires too much manual effort, both in terms of managing large numbers of mods/assets and in terms of manually placing stuff in-game. And then even once you get over those hurdles, it doesn't run particularly well even on high-end hardware.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Hadlock posted:

After Dark (September 2015) - Great transit additions - a must have.
Snowfall (February 2016) - Doesn't add much - winter housing, heated pipes, and a few snow maps - feel free to pass
Natural Disasters (November 2016) - I don't have this, it adds random destruction events that seem counter-intuitive to how I enjoy playing the game.
Mass Transit (May 2017) - Absolutely awesome public transportation options. A must have.
Concerts (August 2017) - I never bought it.
Green Cities (October 2017) - Decent, doesn't add a lot but gives some eco-friendly buildings and policies. OK but not critical.
Parklife (May 2018) - Parks you can design yourself to make money - decent DLC but not critical. Adds some beautification options and some neat props you can place anywhere.
Industries (October 2018) - One of the best DLCs in my gameplay - gives purpose to the natural resource deposits on maps and can make you a lot of cash. Definitely get it.
Campus (May 2019) I enjoy this for making pretty colleges but it isn't crucial. Possible to make a profit using it, but very challenging and micromanage-y.
Sunset Harbor (March 2020) I don't own this yet but it didn't look like it added much - perhaps someone else can share their experiences.

All the other content packs, creator packs, and radio station mods weren't things I focused on - sorry but hope this helps guide you somewhat!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If your style is to hand-build your city and not care about money or gamey challenges beyond traffic, then probably the only DLCs you’ll want are After Dark, Mass Transit and Park Life (for the props).

Note that all but the newest DLCs go on sale 33% or 50% off about once a month. You just missed the last sale, but vanilla(+mods if you’re on PC) is perfectly playable until the next sale if you want to save $20-$40 on a DLC binge.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Sunset Harbor adds some fishing industry stuff, which is nice. It also adds some more mass transit options like the stations that combine bus and metro together or metro and rail. There are also helicopters that are setup similar to blimps.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Having most of the expansions, I’m of the opinion they keep expanding the pool in size but not in depth. The university expansion is nice, but you can solve education problems in your city without it by making more schools. Industries was kinda cool, though vanilla works fine enough with specialized industrial zones. Parklife let’s you go ham on parks where half the city goes to your one zoo-summer camp-themepark monstrosity.

I mean they all add things to do I guess, but they don’t really add to the depth of the game. My impression of them in emote form is :shrug:

Having played SC4 semi recently, one thing I missed was delayed skyscrapers. You had to reach a certain regional population in order to get them, which required starting multiple cities and having them linked together by train/road/whatever. Each successive linked city has more and more RCI demand and the ability to build skyscrapers much earlier. Sorta like a proto new game+.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Has anyone gotten this weird bug before where like, you'll be trying to setup a bus/tram/metro/train/etc. line between stations, you can start the line at one station, you can't end it at another that's directly connected to it, the path between them isn't showing up when you hover over the station. Checking the line inch by inch, there's no issue, it's all connected. Smoothing out corners, in the train track for example, doesn't work. Destroying and rebuilding the whole railway connecting the stations sometimes works. Destroying and rebuilding the roads (for a bus line) sometimes works.

But if I'm having this issue, save the game, reload with the exact same settings just a few seconds later, the issue is gone and I can connect the line on the exact same portion of track that was just giving me issues (so there's no issue with the connection between the stations, the game just couldn't see it or something).

potentially relevant mods I'm running:
- any road outside connections
- unlimited outside connections
- network extensions 2
- autolinecolor redux
- one-way train tracks (and no, the issue is not that I only had one-way tracks between stations)
- 81 tiles
- fine road anarchy
- real time
- tm:pe stable

on a custom map from the workshop.

Since figuring out that saving and reloading seems to fix it, it's become more annoying than panic inducing. It would be nice to at least know what's causing this to happen.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When this happens to me, it's generally because the bus station location you're trying to connect to creates an illegal maneuver for the bus. All vehicles can only change lanes at nodes and intersections if allowed. If there aren't enough nodes, or too many lane restrictions, a bus route may not be able to solve.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm new to this and just reached like 10k pop and I'm running out of room in my original tile and residential demand is skyrocketing. I purchased the tile that would give me highway access and now I need to figure out off ramps and interchanges. I haven't read or looked at anything and screwed round with some terribly designed on/off monstrosities. I'd really like to make a cool highway that traces my entire city in a giant U back up to the main vein with little off and on ramps into the various districts as well and integrate some nice one ways to assist trucks getting out of the city.

Can someone walk me through or post some easy scalable highway interchanges and on / off systems?

Also I'm playing on PS4 and I hate I cant get rid of the radioactive desert in my standard industrial zones

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Pollution is one of my biggest bugbears in this game, there's loads of situations where you'd have small pockets of industrial close by residential.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i've played this game more with infinite money and pollution / death turned off than without.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I've started a city with the Realistic Population mod, and quickly came to notice a challenge: the fact that (to pick the most egregious example) an elementary school has a coverage radius of about 500 yards, and turning down the funding just shrinks the radius even more. Is there no way to avoid having a fully funded school on every block, each of which serves about 20 students since each low-density house is 1 household rather than 6 or 8? Or to use this mod do I just have to accept that I'm going to have to play with infinite money on and give up even the pretense of needing money to build things?

e: It seems like without infinite money, the game is more or less hardcoded to force you to cram buildings together, because of the ludicrously tiny service radii and apparent inability to lower capacity via lowering funding on individual service buildings, a la SC4. Skylines punishes you for leaving empty space anywhere. There is a mod that theoretically lets you customize the coverage radius of each building, but it doesn't work right. I was getting schools and clinics that the houses next door to them weren't acknowledging their existence and etc.

I don't really want or need to max out every house's level, so I'd be fine with just leaving swaths of houses uncovered, but for education in particular, yeah I kind of need every house covered with all levels of education. Yet schools are THE smallest service radius. It's stupid as hell, unless I'm missing something.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 25, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've started a city with the Realistic Population mod, and quickly came to notice a challenge: the fact that (to pick the most egregious example) an elementary school has a coverage radius of about 500 yards, and turning down the funding just shrinks the radius even more. Is there no way to avoid having a fully funded school on every block, each of which serves about 20 students since each low-density house is 1 household rather than 6 or 8? Or to use this mod do I just have to accept that I'm going to have to play with infinite money on and give up even the pretense of needing money to build things?

e: It seems like without infinite money, the game is more or less hardcoded to force you to cram buildings together, because of the ludicrously tiny service radii and apparent inability to lower capacity via lowering funding on individual service buildings, a la SC4. Skylines punishes you for leaving empty space anywhere. There is a mod that theoretically lets you customize the coverage radius of each building, but it doesn't work right. I was getting schools and clinics that the houses next door to them weren't acknowledging their existence and etc.

I don't really want or need to max out every house's level, so I'd be fine with just leaving swaths of houses uncovered, but for education in particular, yeah I kind of need every house covered with all levels of education. Yet schools are THE smallest service radius. It's stupid as hell, unless I'm missing something.

Cities Skylines doesn't have service radii. The green highlighting on the roads marks out the extent of the happiness boost the school applies to buildings nearby.

Students will come to school from across the map as long as there is space for them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ah, then I was missing something. That makes me feel a lot better. Thanks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It honestly sucks for organic cities. You cannot have a lower education slum area. Im guessing they fixed a death spiral but you used to lose cities once there were too many educated for industrial jobs.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It honestly sucks for organic cities. You cannot have a lower education slum area. Im guessing they fixed a death spiral but you used to lose cities once there were too many educated for industrial jobs.

I put a Schools Out policy on the area closest to my main industrial area and it works pretty good

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

If you use Enhanced District Services, you could set up your schools to only serve specific districts and thus have a low-education slum!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humble just put up a Skylines bundle if you know anyone who wants or haven't gotten a bunch of expansions

$1
- Base Game
- Deep Focus Radio

> $Average:
- Concerts
- Content Creator Pack: High-Tech Buildings
- Snowfall
- Natural Disasters

$20
- Mass Transit
- Green Cities
- Industries
- Campus
- Content Creator Pack: Art Deco
- Content Creator Pack: European Suburbia

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Insanely worth it for $20

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I was out, but she always finds a way to drag me back into her arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm pretty lukewarm on the DLC but $20 for all of that is a really good deal.