Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Cities Skylines is available for free for the next 24 hours on the Epic Games Store

It's just the base game, and there's no Steam Workshop functionality, but figured I would pass this on for anyone looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
The city has become self sufficient. I can now watch my trains in peace.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's a big city!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My computer is on fire loading that image.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Real Amethyst posted:

The city has become self sufficient. I can now watch my trains in peace.

gently caress yeah.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I got this on the Epic freebee and I am digging it, but it seems like it will really sing with mods. Most mods seem to be published through the steam workshop - is there anyway to get those on to the epic version through downloading and unzipping somehow? Or should I just rebuy?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CancerCakes posted:

I got this on the Epic freebee and I am digging it, but it seems like it will really sing with mods. Most mods seem to be published through the steam workshop - is there anyway to get those on to the epic version through downloading and unzipping somehow? Or should I just rebuy?

Its like $10 on Steam sale right now i'd really recommend it just for the workshop.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Arglebargle III posted:

That's a big city!

um excuse me posted:

My computer is on fire loading that image.

Arrhythmia posted:

gently caress yeah.

Thank you. It's 50 tiles and sucks up 11000mw of power.
Took me two years to build as I do not like using unlimited money or milestone mods.
No word of a lie I spend most of my time just watching and tweaking my train lines.

https://streamable.com/jcht2b

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

No word of a lie I spend most of my time just watching and tweaking my train lines.
Living the dream. :toot:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

How much of the DLC would be considered a must-have? I know it's a Paradox game and what I'm getting into, Stellaris grabbed me by the shorthairs.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Mass Transit / Industries / Green Cities / Park Life / After Dark are very highly rated

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

ngl managing the industries DLC is a pain in the rear end. Eventually I just left them all on minimal production and ignored them to tend to vanilla industry areas.
The one thing I enjoyed about it though was the building assets look rad.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

And Tyler Too! posted:

How much of the DLC would be considered a must-have? I know it's a Paradox game and what I'm getting into, Stellaris grabbed me by the shorthairs.

None of it. Just get mods and assets from the workshop. They add much much more content than the DLCs.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Poil posted:

Living the dream. :toot:

A few years back I had a save going in OTTD where I tried to funnel every passenger service on the map (the largest setting) through a single train station.
That station was enormous - 32 tracks, I think - with pre-signalling and 3 different mainlines coming in/out, but watching it once it was going was a thing of pixellated, isometric beauty.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Bold Robot posted:

None of it. Just get mods and assets from the workshop. They add much much more content than the DLCs.

hard disagree. they aren't necessarily explicitly required but a lot of the most popular mods make some assumptions about DLCs. I would get Mass Transit at the very least because of all the transport infrastructure

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 26, 2020

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

barnold posted:

hard disagree. they aren't necessarily explicitly required but a lot of the most popular mods make some assumptions about DLCs. I would get Mass Transit at the very least because of all the transport infrastructure

This is a good point, I didn’t think about dependencies for mods. Even so, my advice would be to start playing with no DLC and then figure out which ones (if any) you need to support the mods you want. IIRC the main ones that mods require are After Dark and Mass Transit.

But I still think that the DLCs are bad and that there’s no reason to get them other than to make mods work, where necessary. :colbert:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The FPS booster mod has let me play this again and actually have fun building things as opposed to trying to place buildings with 2 fps in the middle of town.

Its not quite finished yet, but when I started this city back in 2018 I always wanted to put a racing circuit on the map somewhere. Still a fair bit to find props for like Pit crew, medical cars and recovery vehicles etc so they're not in yet, but the track and surrounding areas essentially are done now.

I give you the Millbrook Motor Circuit. Complete with lovely PO sign!

Its loosely based on Silverstone as that is my favourite circuit in the world and fits my British town aesthetic i'm going for. I also put the new aviation club asset from Sunset Harbour in as Silverstone has an airport in the middle after all.

Like I said, still a fair bit to do and tightening some areas and adding in things like the media tents/hospitality side for a proper grand prix. But it was a lot of fun.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

That is loving cool

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I may have made a mistake. I started up a new game on the Seven Lakes map and decided it would be fun and cool to link all the lakes together and eventually I'd be able to try like, a ferry system linking them together

Are these lakes all at the same elevation? Is this flow going to continue Forever?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Thank you. It's 50 tiles and sucks up 11000mw of power.
Took me two years to build as I do not like using unlimited money or milestone mods.

https://streamable.com/jcht2b

What mod do you use to open up 50 tiles?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

I may have made a mistake. I started up a new game on the Seven Lakes map and decided it would be fun and cool to link all the lakes together and eventually I'd be able to try like, a ferry system linking them together

Are these lakes all at the same elevation? Is this flow going to continue Forever?
None of the lakes are on the same level so it will flow forever. Yes this map was included with the dlc which added canals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I recall though the way water works for things like that is that each lake will have a defined "level" below which it will fill up and above which it will delete water. So the upper lakes will never drain and the lower ones will never overflow.

So as long as you can create a sufficient amount of depth in the flowing part it should still function OK.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

frogge posted:

What mod do you use to open up 50 tiles?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576327847

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

So as long as you can create a sufficient amount of depth in the flowing part it should still function OK.

Yeah my son has gotten ferries and fishing boats to go up and down waterfalls because they were deep enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lock gates when, CO?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Awesome thanks.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I've been enjoying the terrain of Frostyshire (I think that's the name? The one with the neat double river and multiple ridgelines) and have built up a decent city buuuut the permanent snow has outstayed its welcome.
It's time to start over in a non-winter wonderland, so someone please recommend me a map!

After a good mix of elevation, water and flat land so I have to work to the terrain a bit but do have some room to maneuver. Will probably be running the 25 tile mod if that makes a difference.
Functional resource/waterflow/connections a must.

Workshop and DLC maps no problem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I quite like these two:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=758898755
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1324695880

Good mix of terrain and you can get some good separated communities going between the mountain ranges necessitating bigger mass transit links.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Ripper Swarm posted:

I've been enjoying the terrain of Frostyshire (I think that's the name? The one with the neat double river and multiple ridgelines) and have built up a decent city buuuut the permanent snow has outstayed its welcome.
It's time to start over in a non-winter wonderland, so someone please recommend me a map!

After a good mix of elevation, water and flat land so I have to work to the terrain a bit but do have some room to maneuver. Will probably be running the 25 tile mod if that makes a difference.
Functional resource/waterflow/connections a must.

Workshop and DLC maps no problem.

Is there a ski resort mod? Where you can create runs, lifts etc?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

CancerCakes posted:

Not that I've found but I've certainly run a few cable cars up the side of a skiable mountain.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

CancerCakes posted:

Can't say I looked for one. If you're in a winter theme map Colossal Order did add a handful of parks and unique buildings with ski theming...but they're all designed for flat ground.

OwlFancier posted:

I quite like these two:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=758898755
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1324695880

Good mix of terrain and you can get some good separated communities going between the mountain ranges necessitating bigger mass transit links.

Thanks for these. Really like the look of Aurora, but the sheer amount of detail choked my computer unfortunately.

Ended up going with https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2298135738 from the most subscribed recently list in the workshop. It has a dumb name but I dig the San Francisco-esque vibe!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It's been a couple of years since last time I played, so I decided to go ahead and remove all 168 mods I'd subscribed to. Have there been any major changes in regards to recommended mods? Any well loved mods that've lost support or things of that nature?

Edit. Oh and I seem to remember having this problem before: If I exit to the main menu to enable or disable mods, loading in fails the second time, so I basically have to restart the game every time I want to load a game. Any solve to this?

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 7, 2021

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I'm trying to figure out when you'd ever want to use trolleybuses, outside of aesthetic/sentimental value? They seem like the worst of trams and the worst of buses - special tracks needed, clogging up your roads, low capacity. Is there a use case I'm not seeing?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Freudian posted:

I'm trying to figure out when you'd ever want to use trolleybuses, outside of aesthetic/sentimental value? They seem like the worst of trams and the worst of buses - special tracks needed, clogging up your roads, low capacity. Is there a use case I'm not seeing?
No, they suck.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Don't trolleybuses have a special property that they're not affected by snow on the road?

Speaking of transit: what the hell is this?

It's like a train station on the very border of my map, and it's clogging the gently caress out of my outgoing trains. Sometimes a post van loads/unloads here too? Is this the effect of thaat policy that increases incoming/outgoing connection capacity? Is it just putting a huge station at the edge of my map and populating it with cims?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Epsilon Plus posted:

Don't trolleybuses have a special property that they're not affected by snow on the road?

Speaking of transit: what the hell is this?

It's like a train station on the very border of my map, and it's clogging the gently caress out of my outgoing trains. Sometimes a post van loads/unloads here too? Is this the effect of thaat policy that increases incoming/outgoing connection capacity? Is it just putting a huge station at the edge of my map and populating it with cims?

Cims spawn in at the edge of the map and wait there for a train, or pull out their pocket car and get in.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Poil posted:

None of the lakes are on the same level so it will flow forever. Yes this map was included with the dlc which added canals.

can you use locks to change water level?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Marzzle posted:

can you use locks to change water level?

Locks don't exist in CSL.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dragonshardz posted:

Cims spawn in at the edge of the map and wait there for a train, or pull out their pocket car and get in.

Hrm, this is a problem then.

It seems like incoming and outgoing trains are getting jumbled up here - both these trains are facing inward. A train trying to leave gets nose-to-nose with one of these, and then can't move until the other train moves (they magically become intangible at this point). I've tried demolishing some of the track leading up to here and relaying it, loving around with some one-way tracks, nothing. Is this connection just busted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Sometimes when that happens it's because the length of track between the edge of the map and the first node is too short to fit a whole train. If you are able to add mods, you can use the Move It mod to drag the first node out to make that first length of track at least the size of a full train. That might help.