Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Baron Porkface posted:

Does this game have droughts? parts of my river where I was drawing water just dried up.

The only thing I noticed is that sometimes there is drop in water level (but not whole river, but like 100m moving hole in river), sometimes resulting in poop going backwards into water pumps :v: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Water sources have set output volumes, you're probably exceeding those. Move some pumps elsewhere, was my solution.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Duodecimal posted:

Water sources have set output volumes, you're probably exceeding those. Move some pumps elsewhere, was my solution.

This. If you watch, you'll notice that putting multiple pumps in the same location will actually draw water toward them/lower the water level/do other things to affect the fluid physics. I've created situations before where adding a pump actually drew all the water away from existing pumps leaving them unable to pump any water.

It's actually kinda cool.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So I haven't seen this mentioned here yet, but there is a new city builder doing the rounds called Urbek. You can see an overview of the game by CPP here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Uee_3RgEU&t or a playlist that goes further into the game by ConflictNerd here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRT48VU3K4p38LT-fZeXIXNrfGJACCt_s

The game itself is more of a resource management style city builder, but one of my favorite things (other than the voxel style graphics) is that people are one of the main resources (Unskilled, Skilled, Highly Skilled), and the types of neighborhoods that you develop directly impact which of these you attract to your city. Specialize your city too heavy towards making a utopia for highly skilled workers? You won't have enough houses for people to man the fields for food production and the city will start to fail. Its one of the first games I've played that encourages you to build slums as well as suburbs and sprawling metropolises. Houses/Neighbourhoods grow and change based on the facilities and services you give to them, so what starts out as wooden huts can become mansions or shanty towns depending on how you design and develop them.

The graphics are also really cool, with loads of different styles for the various neighborhoods and communities that you build.

The game is only around £15/$20 on steam right now and I highly recommend it.

Zip! fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 29, 2022

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

commando in tophat posted:

The only thing I noticed is that sometimes there is drop in water level (but not whole river, but like 100m moving hole in river), sometimes resulting in poop going backwards into water pumps :v: .

It's extremely common for this to happen with rivers unless you basically perform a black magic ritual in the map editor to get the fluid simulation to cooperate with the terrain. It's why custom maps will have dozens of water sources along the path of a river, you basically have to use them to avoid waves and moving dry spots.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I love the aesthetic of Urbek. Love it. And the system requirements are low, which is nice. It's more of a puzzle game with city builder aesthetics and mechanics which isn't my jam at all, but if you're into that you'll loving love Urbek.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do i know if a map will use Euro or American style?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Grand Fromage posted:

There's also a fundamental disconnect between people who play the game to Make Number Go Up and minmax everything to absurdity and the people who try to build realistic cities.

What about those of us that build an ornate, enormous road, rail, and metro network filling the entire map before ever zoning a single thing and then when we do and it doesn't work great, start all over?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Are there any maps that start you off with a two-lane "rural" highway running through the map? After years of on-and-off play, I really hate the "start from a premade freeway junction that terminates at your city border."

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Warmachine posted:

Are there any maps that start you off with a two-lane "rural" highway running through the map? After years of on-and-off play, I really hate the "start from a premade freeway junction that terminates at your city border."

Strangely enough, Yumbl just uploaded a version of a map like that: https://steamcommunity.com/app/255710

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
What's wrong with my game? Why won't this boiler refill?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Charles 1998 posted:

What's wrong with my game? Why won't this boiler refill?

Buildings don't keep themselves topped off with refills so it probably ran out while the delivery is in progress. It happens all the time and there's not really anything you can do.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

turn off the TV posted:

Buildings don't keep themselves topped off with refills so it probably ran out while the delivery is in progress. It happens all the time and there's not really anything you can do.

I have it selected with the traffic tool and there's no deliveries inbound. Does it not request when it's out? The one next to it keeps itself topped off well.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
OK I think the game is broken. It's out of fuel and it says it's getting refilled in the traffic routes info, but it goes off into the distance. Why is the truck taking forever to arrive? It's been like this for a while.

Edit: I clicked Clear traffic in TM:PE and it seemed to fix it a while later.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 5, 2022

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Who needs roundabouts when traffic lights are this buttery smooth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqjG79hbfqk

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Charles 1998 posted:

Who needs roundabouts when traffic lights are this buttery smooth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqjG79hbfqk

Lol... some serious red-light running going on there!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Trying to learn how to fiddle with Node Controller and Network Multitool to create nicer intersections - I came up with an idea for a tram-inclusive roundabout where the trams won't end up horribly jamming traffic that I want try out (I just think trams are cute) - and I'm running into a few small issues:

a. this looks, bad - the sidewalks from the two roads are clipping into each other due to the tram lines running into the intersection. In addition, the tram line ends up slightly bowed/kinked because of this

b. I'd really like to remove the stop signs/crosswalks in the middle of the intersection, as I forsee this causing some issues (similar things have cropped up in the other intersections I've tried where one car out of place will horribly back up trains, for example) - I thought I could join the nodes, but they have a common segment (which is obvious in retrospect, they're right next to each other).

Alternatively, I had a few other ideas - if we look at the intersection/roundabout at a further distance - I'd really like to have commercial zones on the inside (that's why it's so large):

a. Are these one-way streets long enough to prevent trams from breaking the intersection? If so, I could use a one-way road with a tram track.

b. I have a mod that'll let me set zonability on things like tram tracks - if I put the tracks on the inside and do that, then build buildings on those tram paths, will vehicles/services be able to path to them? Or will that just gently caress everything up?

(e: I tried that and it looks like at least the building closest to the road is truck-accessible, which I think means anything I built against inner tram tracks would be okay? Anything further seems to have dead bodies/crime/fires pile up.

)

c. Would this just be an overall lesser pain in the dick if I used tunnels to dig tram tracks underground and had them intersect there? They could branch off the four-lane roads eight cells or so back from the intersection, tunnel down, and then have a simpler intersection underground?

d. Or maybe the inner section is large enough that I can just have overground tram tracks join in the middle, behind the buildings?

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 6, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Charles 1998 posted:

I have it selected with the traffic tool and there's no deliveries inbound. Does it not request when it's out? The one next to it keeps itself topped off well.

The one real mechanic this game has is dealing with traffic pathfinding, all the other mechanics are incredibly underdeveloped. Despite traffic pathfinding being the prime focus on the game, it's actually really bad it it. Deliveries get stuck outside the map or don't spawn at all, there's no concept of sending a delivery out before stocks are dry so it gets there in time. There's a reason the longer people play the game the more they end up modding more and more mechanics out and turn it into a creative city-painter.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

death cob for cutie posted:

Trying to learn how to fiddle with Node Controller and Network Multitool to create nicer intersections - I came up with an idea for a tram-inclusive roundabout where the trams won't end up horribly jamming traffic that I want try out (I just think trams are cute) - and I'm running into a few small issues:

a. this looks, bad - the sidewalks from the two roads are clipping into each other due to the tram lines running into the intersection. In addition, the tram line ends up slightly bowed/kinked because of this

b. I'd really like to remove the stop signs/crosswalks in the middle of the intersection, as I forsee this causing some issues (similar things have cropped up in the other intersections I've tried where one car out of place will horribly back up trains, for example) - I thought I could join the nodes, but they have a common segment (which is obvious in retrospect, they're right next to each other).

Alternatively, I had a few other ideas - if we look at the intersection/roundabout at a further distance - I'd really like to have commercial zones on the inside (that's why it's so large):

a. Are these one-way streets long enough to prevent trams from breaking the intersection? If so, I could use a one-way road with a tram track.

b. I have a mod that'll let me set zonability on things like tram tracks - if I put the tracks on the inside and do that, then build buildings on those tram paths, will vehicles/services be able to path to them? Or will that just gently caress everything up?

(e: I tried that and it looks like at least the building closest to the road is truck-accessible, which I think means anything I built against inner tram tracks would be okay? Anything further seems to have dead bodies/crime/fires pile up.

)

c. Would this just be an overall lesser pain in the dick if I used tunnels to dig tram tracks underground and had them intersect there? They could branch off the four-lane roads eight cells or so back from the intersection, tunnel down, and then have a simpler intersection underground?

d. Or maybe the inner section is large enough that I can just have overground tram tracks join in the middle, behind the buildings?

I think the answer is E, watch Yumbl's video about effective tram intersections and use that info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLwNLsr0Qyg

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Speaking of fixing mechanics, are there mods to adjust how willing people are to use transit like the NAM traffic configuration tool for SC4? I have a pretty good transit system and people are not using it nearly enough, I'm building a Japanese-ish big city so it would make sense if the majority of my citizens don't use cars.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Grand Fromage posted:

Speaking of fixing mechanics, are there mods to adjust how willing people are to use transit like the NAM traffic configuration tool for SC4? I have a pretty good transit system and people are not using it nearly enough, I'm building a Japanese-ish big city so it would make sense if the majority of my citizens don't use cars.

TM:PE allows you to block personal cars on specified roads. Maybe if you make it so driving a personal vehicle is so limited it makes people prefer the mass transit system you've built? Speed limits are also taken into account, which you can adjust with TM:PE.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I have made some pedestrian roads with traffic manager but I was hoping for something better. In the NAM configuration you can just set what percentage of sims of different wealth levels will prefer different modes, like 60% mass transit, 20% pedestrian, 20% cars or whatever. They'll still take a different mode if the time difference justifies it, but if you provide proper transit with that example config then only 20% will drive.

Of course SC4 abstracts instead of using agents so maybe it's not possible to do that.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ci-Rqh8CQ

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Any of yous real familiar with the map editor?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

Any of yous real familiar with the map editor?

i think that i have about 1000 hours in it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

i think that i have about 1000 hours in it

Then I got a couple Qs for my A:

Is there a good editor to adjust heightmaps? I want to raise all of the land equally so I can make the ocean deeper.

All my roads/rails are slightly elevated:

I've never seen this happen before and have no idea what might be causing it.

And, when I make bridges in the editor they have no pillars. I can't place my own pillars either, even with anarchy it won't let me. Do the pillars appear when you play the map and not in the editor?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

Then I got a couple Qs for my A:

Is there a good editor to adjust heightmaps? I want to raise all of the land equally so I can make the ocean deeper.

All my roads/rails are slightly elevated:

I've never seen this happen before and have no idea what might be causing it.

And, when I make bridges in the editor they have no pillars. I can't place my own pillars either, even with anarchy it won't let me. Do the pillars appear when you play the map and not in the editor?

If you want to raise all land equally then you just need to increase the brightness, so something like paint.net would work there.

Your roads looking like that is normal, it's just how the map editor renders them for whatever reason. Your bridges not having pillars is not normal and I don't know what would be causing that other than a mod. I typically turned most of my mods off when using the map or theme editor because a decent number of them don't play nice with it. If you aren't running mods then I really have no idea, I've never encountered that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have a shitload of mods. I wonder which one might be causing the pillar issue. I've done some searching and found nothing. Maybe I should just finish the map and see if the pillars show up properly in game before I gently caress with it too much, going back to redo the bridges wouldn't be that much trouble if I need to.

Anyone else wanting to edit, this site is rad: https://heightmap.skydark.pl/ Lets you click anywhere in the world and generate a heightmap off it. Even if you're doing a lot of editing having something to work with other than a flat, blank plain is nice.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

I have a shitload of mods. I wonder which one might be causing the pillar issue. I've done some searching and found nothing. Maybe I should just finish the map and see if the pillars show up properly in game before I gently caress with it too much, going back to redo the bridges wouldn't be that much trouble if I need to.

Anyone else wanting to edit, this site is rad: https://heightmap.skydark.pl/ Lets you click anywhere in the world and generate a heightmap off it. Even if you're doing a lot of editing having something to work with other than a flat, blank plain is nice.

You should be able to put steam in offline mode so the game launches without mods, that'd make checking to see if its being caused by one pretty quick and painless. You might also want to save a draft of your map to test in the actual game. There are a bunch of little differences in the shaders and rendering between the two modes, so things might look off in the final version.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Fromage posted:

Are you kidding me, I'd have loved a tool to generate world heightmaps this elegantly for years and someone's made one for Cities Skylines of all the reasons. Maybe there is a better way originally for more general purposes but every site I've found that takes you through the Nasa visible earth data and the like is a colossal pain in the rear end to use, this one by contrast works amazingly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's pretty awesome, I wish you could adjust the scale of how much area the heightmap covers instead of it being fixed. Maybe you can and I'm missing it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

It's pretty awesome, I wish you could adjust the scale of how much area the heightmap covers instead of it being fixed. Maybe you can and I'm missing it.

There's a settings menu in the top left that lets you change the map size.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The map size setting seems to do it, and while the slider only goes up to 70km if you type in values manually you can go past that. This is really fantastic, thanks for sharing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh nice. I have to focus on making one map instead of generating a hundred of them.

E: And you can change water depth, drat. Wish I'd noticed that. I'm hours into loving with this map and not sure I want to start over... it's tropical so the super shallow water isn't that big a problem I guess. Fill it with reefs and stuff.

E2: Yeah going to start over with better options. Any suggestions for atolls or islands with interesting geography? I'm thinking a large-ish island that I can add mountains too with a lagoon with barrier islands. I found one in the Bahamas that's okay (North Eleuthera) but interested in checking out some others.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 13, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd look around the Southwest Pacific. All sorts of islands with varied geography.

Check out the faichuk islands, nice little chain including mountains and atolls.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If you have a good image editor like Photoshop or Gimp and know how to use them then you can stitch chunks of terrain together to make whatever kind of shapes you want. The main advantage there is basically that you could make your island out of continental US heightmaps since they should be way higher quality/resolution than what you'll get from the rest of the world. Even at 1:1 the 5m accuracy LIDAR DEMs should still look great in game. They're what I used for training my map editor AI.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 13, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I gotta try doing some gimping. Drawing mountains by hand is hard to do well, would be a lot easier to just cut and paste in a real one.

E: Paint3D's magic select is good enough to manage this particular task. Pieced together something I think will be interesting.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 13, 2022

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh nice. I have to focus on making one map instead of generating a hundred of them.

E: And you can change water depth, drat. Wish I'd noticed that. I'm hours into loving with this map and not sure I want to start over... it's tropical so the super shallow water isn't that big a problem I guess. Fill it with reefs and stuff.

E2: Yeah going to start over with better options. Any suggestions for atolls or islands with interesting geography? I'm thinking a large-ish island that I can add mountains too with a lagoon with barrier islands. I found one in the Bahamas that's okay (North Eleuthera) but interested in checking out some others.
Bora Bora is one of the few high islands with an extensive lagoon and fringing reef. It's got a land area of about 30 km2, and about twice that of water in a square area, which probably translates well to a 5x5 or 9x9 city map.

E: Maupiti is a little smaller and a little flatter if that's what you need.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bora Bora is a super cool looking island, drat. Might have to use that some day.

I hacked something up with North Eleuthera as the base, a few bits of Diego Garcia and Hithadhoo, and the mountains from Kosrae. Need to do some smoothing and leveling and add some buildable land south of the mountain, then detailing, but I think it'll be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Have I been editing this map for nine hours? I did take some breaks to cook and such.