Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Glad you pointed it out 'cause it's got a name:

That is a great name. :roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

oh poo poo

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arrhythmia posted:

Glad you pointed it out 'cause it's got a name:

Hell yeah, recognition at last! :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can't help but notice the path or road or whatever on poo island. Who lives on poo island

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I can't help but notice the path or road or whatever on poo island. Who lives on poo island

drat good eye. Looks like it's supposed to be an archaelogical site? It reminds me of Skara Brae. I didn't have anything to do with it, it came with the map.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Just hit 80k. Poo island is going nowhere.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Just hit 80k. Poo island is going nowhere.
It needs a post office if you have that dlc.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Since we're sharing pictures of cities...

My current one, at population ~8,000, no mods. I'm not great at making pretty-looking cities, but I enjoy curvy, swirly roads. I've been watching YouTube videos to learn how to make efficient, cool-looking cities, but instead of working the techniques into my existing cities I keep end up creating new ones. And then I usually end up forgetting to really implement whatever I learned. Oh well, I'm having fun and that's what matters.

Anyways, I wasn't sure how to connect the road along the river coast up to the main highway. But I ended up doing what I do best.

Creating an ugly, stupid intersection.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Those suburbs look cool, a good balance or order and chaos.

That bridge intersection is an affront to god, though

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It looks better than any of the suburbs I've made. :v:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That bridge intersection is an affront to god, though
Yeah... Let us pray for the arrival of Hapi to fix it.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 3, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Eh! Frank posted:

Since we're sharing pictures of cities...

My current one, at population ~8,000, no mods. I'm not great at making pretty-looking cities, but I enjoy curvy, swirly roads. I've been watching YouTube videos to learn how to make efficient, cool-looking cities, but instead of working the techniques into my existing cities I keep end up creating new ones. And then I usually end up forgetting to really implement whatever I learned. Oh well, I'm having fun and that's what matters.

Anyways, I wasn't sure how to connect the road along the river coast up to the main highway. But I ended up doing what I do best.

Very cute! I love the roundabout in the eastern part of your city. I've never considered using spirals in my layout, and I really like how it looks. I'll try to add one to my city today.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Poil posted:

It needs a post office if you have that dlc.

Yes, it does, thank you! It also needs any public transit system at all :sweatdrop:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Eh! Frank posted:

Anyways, I wasn't sure how to connect the road along the river coast up to the main highway. But I ended up doing what I do best

I actually like the spaghettification of a simple intersection. It's hilarious!

The simpler way, if you *really* wanna do that, though, is to take the offramp off the highway starting under that overpass, then turn it into an underpass sweeping under the highway and beginning the coast road. You'd still need the smaller portion of the slip coming off the bridge, but that's less... egregious.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I always want flat terrain for my high density but then I make the map ugly :(

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Albino Squirrel posted:

I actually like the spaghettification of a simple intersection. It's hilarious!

The simpler way, if you *really* wanna do that, though, is to take the offramp off the highway starting under that overpass, then turn it into an underpass sweeping under the highway and beginning the coast road. You'd still need the smaller portion of the slip coming off the bridge, but that's less... egregious.

I always forget about tunneling for some reason. I went back to a pre-spaghetti save and re-did the intersection following your advice, and I think it looks much better (I also added a bunch of trees and a walking path)

Also, here's my biggest city that I worked on a couple years ago, before I watched any instructional videos or knew what I was doing.

It's at just over 50k, not pictured is a university area to the south-west. Try to guess how much public transit the city has! Two bus-lines and one passenger train station for intercity visitors, nothing else

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

And here we are at the verge of 100K sims. The simulation has started to slow down pretty hard once I crossed 80K sims, but I reckon if it runs for about another hour I'll cross that threshhold. You'll notice poo-island has been greatly diminished: my friancee thought my "Your Posts" joke was too mean so I replaced the pumps with eco-friendly ones. :(

I'm especially proud of the remote village in the top right.

e: hit 100k :toot:

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 4, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Arrhythmia posted:

my friancee thought my "Your Posts" joke was too mean so I replaced the pumps with eco-friendly ones. :(

For what it's worth I loved that one.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

And here we are at the verge of 100K sims. The simulation has started to slow down pretty hard once I crossed 80K sims, but I reckon if it runs for about another hour I'll cross that threshhold. You'll notice poo-island has been greatly diminished: my friancee thought my "Your Posts" joke was too mean so I replaced the pumps with eco-friendly ones. :(

whaaaaaat? It was perfect. everyone on here loves that joke

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You should’ve built a single house on poo poo island and named it after the guy who dissed your city

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Very cool and good to devote all your waterfront property to poop and garbage.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It looks like I still need:
Sunset Harbor
Campus
Concerts
Natural Disasters
Snowfall

To have all the DLC (plus a bunch of music and tile "DLC" but those are more aesthetic than structural in my experience).

Are any/all of those worth buying?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Schadenboner posted:

It looks like I still need:
Sunset Harbor
Campus
Concerts
Natural Disasters
Snowfall

To have all the DLC (plus a bunch of music and tile "DLC" but those are more aesthetic than structural in my experience).

Are any/all of those worth buying?
Only if they're on sale. I mean, I like all the stuff they add (don't have concerts, though) but they're not game changers like industries was.

Sunset Harbor gives you a minor industry chain and lets you have trolley busses, which are like trams but worse.

Campus lets you build very nice universities and is fun to play around with. You make campus districts like you would parks.

Natural Disasters changes the game the most of any dlc bar industries. If you liked disasters in SimCity it should be your first pickup.

Snowfall adds trams, which are great for making Euro-looking cities. Also if you're Canadian it's nice to make a snowy map that's in perpetual winter instead of perpetual summer. :canada:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Very cool and good to devote all your waterfront property to poop and garbage.

Lmfao. In my defense, the highway pressed up against the coast made it tough to put anything there.

I'm probably going to use the save to grab some more achievements before trying out a snowy map.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I just wish someone would steal be inspired by the Imperium cities from, like, Dawn of War. I want to build Necromunda or some poo poo.

Might have to "be the change I want to see in the world" (as the kids say these days).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Early on in my current city, I decided to have a main road going down to my industry area, and to have it as a tram route.
I kept building off of it and building off of it and the traffic was generally very good. I had more tram routes branching from it, which had loads of passengers...

And then I built up another area nearby and in the space of 10 minutes, the traffic suddenly went to dogshit. No big deal, I thought, I'll throw in some roundabouts - you can even make those work with trams. That did not help the situation, and suddenly the traffic was elephantshit levels of bad. The only thing I could do to fix it was to replace the tram roads with regular roads, throw in the roundabouts I wanted, fiddle with some speed limits to encourage some of the local traffic to go a different way, create a new highway interchange to deal with all the new traffic suddenly going the way I just encouraged them to go and then set up a load of new Metro lines to deal with all the people my dearly departed tram network was previously shuttling around.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is the city building thread

Steam has a new pocket citybuilder game, it's $5 or $6, Townscaper. It is very simple

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1291340/Townscaper/

Etc etc. There's no economy, or traffic, just a city builder.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Hadlock posted:

This is the city building thread

Steam has a new pocket citybuilder game, it's $5 or $6, Townscaper. It is very simple

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1291340/Townscaper/

Etc etc. There's no economy, or traffic, just a city builder.

This is more a toy than a game. Click to place building pieces, can change the color. The simulation will make it so it "fits" so if you have a massive block connected via one single tall tower, the simulation will place support beams under it reaching to the water.

It's a neat experiment and you can waste a bunch of time on it, but it's not a game.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I've gotten back into this game after the Humble bundle deal and decided to unfuck the organic/total mess of a metro system in my 250,000+ city, which has a dedicated industrial area and a few leafier residential areas on the edges but is otherwise a street by street mix of residential, commercial and office space. The metro was last rebuilt when the city was about 50,000 people and everything since has been bolted on as needed so you can imagine what it looked like underground.

Deleting every tunnel didn't take as long as I was expecting (demolish and then hold M1!) so now the real fun can begin. How would goons structure a metro for a city this size? I'd like to have several hub and spoke systems linked by a central ring but the trains would just pile up at the big interchanges. Is a boring but functional grid system with regular interchanges the way to go?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Two ways to approach this. You can make a loop for each district, stops where convenient, with subway stations across the street from other stations of different loops, making passengers transfer stations to travel to different districts. This is the highest capacity option. No trains cross each other's paths, and no trains change directions which is key to massive throughput. Have trains looping in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions so at transfer hubs passengers can change lines and go whichever way they want.

Edit: like this or something. Loops can be bigger or smaller, or can snake it's way into the center of districts etc. Red stations are linked to each other via dedicated walkway, green are plain service stations. If you install metro overhaul, the red stations can be combined into multi platform stations.

The other option has less thoughput but is more realistic. Run lines north and south, east and west, more or less making a grid of subways that can easily expand as your city does. Have local and express lines and make sure to work in tandem with bus lines so your subway stations don't crowd each other.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 23, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Have three different companies building seperate unlinked lines for the first 50 years, then have the city take them over and have to unfuck the mess for another hundred. That's how New York is doing it.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Is there a way to hide the UI?
I was looking through all the game controls and didn't see it listed anywhere.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Alpine Mustache posted:

Is there a way to hide the UI?
I was looking through all the game controls and didn't see it listed anywhere.
Camera icon in the right lower corner

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I think there might also be a hotkey for it - tilde maybe?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

this might have been posted here before, but citywokcitywall is making a really fascinating series, based on the concepts of ultra-high density in a single tile on mars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDX8YQ_aGnY

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BBJoey posted:

this might have been posted here before, but citywokcitywall is making a really fascinating series, based on the concepts of ultra-high density in a single tile on mars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDX8YQ_aGnY

Holy poo poo, he's building a hive!

:peanut:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
man i saw that thumbnail and got really excited for a short moment :smith:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ROFLburger posted:

man i saw that thumbnail and got really excited for a short moment :smith:

It took me 50% of the way through the first episode before I realized he was actually using C:S and not just doing using Surviving Mars and naming it ironically because SM seems somewhat less-known?

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Is there any way to extract the name of the original map theme from a save file.

I had to clear everything from the workshop, but cannot remember the name of the theme I was using in my save. Now I just get the box complaining it is missing, without a name to go on.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Desiderata posted:

Is there any way to extract the name of the original map theme from a save file.

I had to clear everything from the workshop, but cannot remember the name of the theme I was using in my save. Now I just get the box complaining it is missing, without a name to go on.

Won't the loading screen mod output logs to a directory in My Documents? I think I remember there being a bunch of HTML files (local, obviously) with the missing mods and assets and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Schadenboner posted:

Won't the loading screen mod output logs to a directory in My Documents? I think I remember there being a bunch of HTML files (local, obviously) with the missing mods and assets and stuff?

Yeah but oddly theme isn't there. Though to even get to that you have to agree to replace the theme (to load the save at all) so maybe it can't be.

Edit: Answered my own question with http://unera.se/crper/ - the one I was looking for was CoosBay!

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 20, 2020