Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I just like that it allows me to power my city using a reservoir of raw sewage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I cant get tunnels going very well because some rear end in a top hat laid subway lines everywhere.

You can just build the subway lines deeper. This is also how you make subway lines cross each other, incidentally - just make one go under the other.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is there a way to scale the UI in this game at all? Even at minimum resolution the text is unreadably small on my monitor, and many UI elements are so tiny that they're difficult to interact with

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I haven't really played this game since like 2016, I tried coming back to it last year but didn't really get into it. Did they ever fix the completely bizarre way industrial freight worked, with billions of trucks clogging all your streets and having to build weird gamey road layouts designed specifically to minimize the impact of truck traffic? I might come back and play this again if they've cut down on truck spam a bit, or let industries load cargo directly onto a goddamn train like in reality

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
It would be nice if there was a mod that gave freight stations and harbors a catchment area, so nearby industry just teleported their output directly to the station instead of having to spawn a truck to get goods to a building they're literally right next to

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
There's a custom map called Tenasi River on the workshop I've been having a lot of fun with. The land is rugged and highly varied with a big river running through a deep valley between a bunch of plateaus, there are very few places where there's enough flat land to build much of a grid so you have to get a bit unconventional with your city planning. I've been getting a ton of use out of cable cars, of all things - the sides of the valley are too steep to just run roads straight up there, so road connections have to take an indirect route, but I can just use a cable car to connect the residential in the valley directly to the industry on top of the plateau and reduce the commute time to almost nothing.

I've got bus and tram networks in place that get decent use too but the cable cars are getting positively insane usage numbers, a significant portion of the city's population uses them as part of their daily commute.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
so the cable cars have resulted in some really weird commuting habits.

This fellow here is at home. He has finished his day driving around and has parked his car for the evening in the parking lot at this cable car station. He is one of many people to have done so - all of these cars here are owned by people who are at home.

There's a problem though. See, he doesn't live up here. No one does. This station is in the middle of a factory district.

He actually lives...not down here...

Not down here either...

But all the way down here at the bottom of the valley!

He's one of about 20-30 commuters, most of whom are employed, who do most of their daily commute in their cars up on top of the plateau, then when the time comes for them to head home for the night, they drive to the cable car station, leave their cars there for the night, and then ride the cable car down from their parking spot to their apartment several hundred feet below.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the SimCity 4 thread in Retro Games is really inactive so I'm posting this here too

I was digging around on one of my old backup external drives and found this:

that is the long-lost goon-created SimCity 4 megamod pack that came out of GrandFromage's huge SC4 LP that started back in 2011. it is as far as I know no longer available on the Internet anywhere, and is ready to play, just unrar into the plugins folder and go. I'm going to be uploading it to Dropbox today or tomorrow for people to play around with.

That just leaves Tai's Pack as the last of the three big megamod packs to be lost - OldFashioned 3.0 can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxg2mvswdgx4og4/Oldfashioned3.0.rar?dl=0

if anyone has Tai's Pack sitting around on an old hard drive somewhere I'd love to see it dredged up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

the SimCity 4 thread in Retro Games is really inactive so I'm posting this here too

I was digging around on one of my old backup external drives and found this:

that is the long-lost goon-created SimCity 4 megamod pack that came out of GrandFromage's huge SC4 LP that started back in 2011. it is as far as I know no longer available on the Internet anywhere, and is ready to play, just unrar into the plugins folder and go. I'm going to be uploading it to Dropbox today or tomorrow for people to play around with.

That just leaves Tai's Pack as the last of the three big megamod packs to be lost - OldFashioned 3.0 can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxg2mvswdgx4og4/Oldfashioned3.0.rar?dl=0

if anyone has Tai's Pack sitting around on an old hard drive somewhere I'd love to see it dredged up too.

uploading this right now, should be good to go in about 40 minutes and then I'll edit a download link into this post

e: and here it is: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18uDbtc1TvyHjtosOC6BFcjCzsIIL6Py8?usp=sharing

This should be ready to play as-is. Note that it was made in 2012 so it uses very out-of-date versions of the mods, but they were perfectly playable even back then, and if you know what you're doing it's trivially easy to update, say, NAM.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 1, 2020