Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

StarMinstrel posted:

I recommend this chap's awesome sunset color setup for my Mars map : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408111134
(unfortunately not included in the screenshot)

Hey yo just wanted to say your Mars map is probably my favorite of all I've tried so far, both stock and modded. It's got a great combination of features, altitudes, plains., etc that make it really fun to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mister Adequate posted:

Hey yo just wanted to say your Mars map is probably my favorite of all I've tried so far, both stock and modded. It's got a great combination of features, altitudes, plains., etc that make it really fun to work with.

Following up on this, here's the latest shot of Ares Sector. The big snaking road down to the lower areas will soon come into play; I just needed it in place earlier because I feared it might be a significant engineering feat that needed a lot of space. Soon the city will start moving down there.

Also check out Poo Lake in the north :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

StarMinstrel posted:

UNGH YESSSSSSSSSSSSS thanks so much. Little comments like this makes the 5 hours I spent on it worth it (no exageration because god drat that terrain was bumpy, and simply smoothing out would make all the ridges dissapear, so I had to manually flatten a lot of plateau at places I thought would be playable). I still want to see if there's any way to directly update the file on steam so people can have an updated version directly sent to them, instead of sharing a new file, as right now sharing an updated assets seems to be a bit... unwieldy/buggy, as far as I tried. Maybe I'm dumbo. Anyway, still planning on make the map a beauty pass for more buildable terrain and maybe look over the resource distribution.

:D It's a great map and I'm grateful you made it! I might recommend upping the resources a little, I know it's not terribly realistic, but just to give a little more choice in city diversity around the place.

SynthOrange posted:

If you keep pumping sewage into that lake, will it eventually overflow?

I actually wanted to ask about how water works, so this lets me segue nicely into that! Basically when I plunk down a pump or outlet pipe, the water level seems to have an immediate change, but then stops changing. I don't seem to actually be pumping water out of the large lake or into the smaller one on a permanent basis as such. Can anyone shed light on whether this is so? I was hoping to eventually fill Poo Lake over to the brim.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kinnas posted:

Stumbled upon something that made me really appreciate the scale of the game:

Christ alive :stare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Enos Shenk posted:

I've got a problem.

I don't think you do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Roundabouts are great for medium traffic but you definitely need something heftier for serious interfaces.

Control Volume posted:

gently caress roundabouts, gently caress this europe road trash, intersections forever

:911:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Enzenx posted:

Persistent Resource View
No more back and forth bullshit trying to build roads for your specialized industry districts..

yessssssssssss :fap:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nutsngum posted:

Does anyone else feel like the population counter is stupid low for the size of the cities? My current one is 40,000 people but looks like it should be fitting 300,000+ in it without much issue.

Yeah, I think this comes from SC2013 getting so much flak for fudging their numbers, and they clearly didn't want to risk similar ire. Given that things in this game actually work right and do what we were promised they would do, though, I wouldn't have had a problem with it myself and I keep meaning to download the mod MikeJF mentions.

Anyway, take a look at this and tell me how to fix it.

Up north as you can see is the big oil industrial sector, and there's more to the south across the highway as well as west across the river, but this is the big problem point in my city's traffic. I've added a cargo train line that should have been helping the oil imports/exports reduce the wheels on this road, but to no apparent avail. I've upgraded some of this stuff, which helped slightly, but those lines of vehicles back up way off this screen in both directions and if traffic from the south gets even a little bit heavier we're going to have fuckers waiting on the highway. I'd prefer to solve this without tearing a big chunk of buildings up but I don't even know where to begin anymore. Any ideas?

The big thing I want from this game now is pedestrian paths that can function as 'roads' for building purposes (or roads closed to all but utility/emergency vehicles and those which are actually delivering to a store on that road) and beat cops who walk around so stuff disconnected from the roads still gets patrolled.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Enzenx posted:

Zoneable Pedestrian Paths

Rather predictably, there's a mod for that.

Awwww yisss this game is so loving great with all these insane mods.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Domattee posted:

Merging two highways into an avenue is fine as long as the highway interchange before the merge allows for U-Turns. Otherwise you might get some bad congestion at the merge.

Ah feck that's probably why a lot of my highway interchange is hosed up currently, thanks for that tip!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Goons like Chewbot and Fish Fry Andy and simosimo are helping to make this excellent game ever better. Thank you all for your work, you guys and everyone else modding!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Okay, but will After Dark accurately simulate the ENORMOUS fights people have about how important bike helmets are/are not?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Worth noting that's not just the Sims model, but also the Paradox model.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

If the kind of stuff made for SC4 is any indication, there will never be enough transportation options for some people. And I'm one of them, I hope they add a billion transport options, rail lines with different gauges, all kinds of poo poo like that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ofaloaf posted:

I really wanna play Grand Theft Auto on some of these maps, somehow.

I had the exact same thought seeing that map Metrication posted. Dassa pretty map :3

Excited for After Dark tomorrow, I kind of shelved C:S a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of this, I just hope certain mods are quickly updated.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Moridin920 posted:

I'd love some futuristic cyberpunk Judge Dredd style architecture DLC.

With megablocks, too.

Yesss I 100% want a dystopian hellscape city sim. In SC2K I would throw down as many Plymouth and Darco arcologies as possible and I want to do the same but even moreso.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nick Esasky posted:

so, for some reason, a new game i'm trying to start is taking 10+ minutes to load, which i suppose is somewhat related to the 400+ workshop items i've downloaded from collections linked in here probably being incompatable somewhere . Anyone have an idea where the UNSUBCRIBE FROM EVERYTHING button is on the Steam Workshop? Also, whats the latest recommended mods over the past few months?

Steam Workshop doesn't have any such button. However, C:S does have one in-game. Go into Content Manager on the main menu, then select Steam Workshop. There should be an Unsubscribe All button at the top of the window.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I thought I had only downloaded things updated for After Dark, but I'm getting weird black flickering whenever I build roads. It's not really stopping me playing but it is pretty annoying. Guess I'll have to track it down :smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Clamps McGraw posted:

Efficiency is not the goal. Prettiness is.

??? But they're the same thing?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

My first real city since AD arrived and it's going well, just topped 10k and already having traffic problems, so all's well. It's not much yet but I like it, and it's very pretty. View from the highest peak on the island;

:unsmith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah I think a fourth roundabout up top would fix all your problems.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

eXXon posted:

Nothing says relaxing public square like being surrounded by empty 6 lane roads on all sides.

Are there any examples of ridiculously complicated interchanges that are actually necessary and see justifiable volumes? Because if not, you are all urbanism monsters for making suburban hellholes instead of cycling and transit utopias.

lol look at this hippy, what are you, dutch?

just lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really considering getting into modeling just to flesh out the game's services. More educational buildings, bigger ones, smaller ones, ones that look good downtown, ones that look good in the suburbs, ones that look good in the country and so on.

Would legit give you a few patreon bucks or some poo poo if you did, it's the one area I just can't find enough stuff. But then even in SC4 I was always hungry for more service buildings, it's just a problem I have.

e; and yeah 100% agreed, I desperately want a lot more variation in building plot sizes and shite.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 3, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yo Baronjutter I was just about to ask for a couple of those mods and there you are providing that big ol' post for me :) You're a good goon.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ofaloaf posted:

It's an issue if you steadfastly refuse to leave any gaps between your zoned areas.

By God I will build residential areas right next to my factories and how dare this so-called "pollution" try to cause problems with that!

Chirpy Exterminator. Then there's no more problems!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

njsykora posted:

Also taxes, is there any real need to keep tweaking taxes or can they be put at a certain level right away and left there?

What I like to do (trigger warning for monumental :spergin:) is bring all my taxes down a couple points right at the start, then pretend my cims are voting on ballot measures that will, say, cut industrial taxes, or increase commercial taxes for one year, or stuff like that.

I'd really like that kind of thing as an actual game feature, so your district could vote itself a heavy vehicle ban or a smoking ban or something, but it probably gets too tricky to balance impact and fun with that kind of poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Uhhhh okay guys I need some help or pointers here

I cleaned out, reinstalled, and added a bunch of mods a few days ago. Fine, worked well, having fun. Suddenly yesterday whenever I start the game I get this instead:

(That's not a running copy of Morrowind by the way, just my background). So I figure a mod hosed up, I try reducing their numbers, etc., no joy. I remove them all. Same result. Verify game cache, nothing wrong, still does it. Reinstall, same result. Uninstall, remove every last trace of the game's files I can find, reinstall - and that's when I took the picture. Music still plays after an appropriate load time, but it's this teeny-tiny window, and I can't find anywhere outside of the game to change graphic/video settings.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dunno-Lars posted:

Try Alt + Enter to toggle full screen.

Longbaugh01 posted:

This. This same thing happens with SW:The Old Republic constantly.

Well that was an embarrassingly simple solution :downs: Thanks goons, it's fixed now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DrSunshine posted:

Is there a mod that allows me to easily see which way my traffic flows? I laid down a lot of one-way streets when I built my city originally, and it's kind of hard to tell if I'm not zoomed in.

Search on the Workshop for a mod called One Way Street Arrows. Should be just what you're looking for!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dred_furst posted:

Did someone say grids and/or roundabouts?

I literally have no idea what they were smoking when they built this. it's a clusterfuck 24/7.

Bonus round:

Enjoy 2 motorways, 1 motorway that ends, 2 ringroads, 1 side road and 1 major arterial route into the city all within 1/2 a mile of each other.

The left most motorway has no traffic lights onto the roundabout yet the north/south one does :iiam:

Well hello there Lexbro :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ofaloaf posted:

I tried experimenting with moody lighting:

Skinny little Nancy Callahan. She grew up. She filled out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

An epochal city builder would be great, but a big challenge would be keeping issues of scale in check. You'd need some plausible and reasonable way to keep a medieval city limited to, say, 20,000 for anything but the greatest of metropolises, with explosions in the Industrial Age and essentially limitless growth as you reach the modern era and move into the near future.

Maybe some kind of efficiency stat for buildings? So your pre-industrial water pumps are poo poo and it's prohibitively expensive to plant them, then you get better ones and a reservoir building, and then you move onto water towers and pumps like the ones we have in CS, which can supply vastly more people for the same cost, or something like that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Thank you for this, I'm just picking it up again with Snowfall out and this is exactly the kind of poo poo I need.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

PleasingFungus posted:

The Atlantic posted an article about the game.

Nothing super groundbreaking, basic reasonable stuff. However, I really enjoyed the screenshot from the author's city:

This is what it feels like when mathematics dies.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Thin Privilege posted:

Image dump

beachfront properties

Waterfront. It took me SO LONG to build that stupid walkway.

I intentionally made a polluted industrial area.

There is a beach behind the industrial area, true to life.

Trailer park!

This is probably my favorite part. Lots of trains and train yards. Especially building the train line in the middle of the highway. :swoon:

Sim City tribute

Theres a huge mountain and I put a residential area and airport on top of it (in background in second picture).

map, double (triple?) click for big size

I don't like grid cities so i made this one with roads that follow the curves of the landscape and highways (except industry areas). I'm prob going to get rid of the farms to make the city bigger, only at 90K right now.

This is some next level poo poo right here, god drat :staredog:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I'm really excited for these additions, it's gonna be great to be able to do shorefronts and stuff with ease instead of the ridiculously finicky poo poo we've been dealing with through mods in this and SC4 all these years.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gonkish posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=650436109

Mod to allow you to place Quays anywhere. That didn't take long at all.

Not called Anarquay? No download :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"Polis has been through some tough times over the years. The Great Fire of 1887 razed half of downtown, killed twenty, and left thousands homeless. The Linda's Dinner Theater shooting claimed sixteen lives. And of course, our greatest tragedy was the Tidal Wave Of Poop, killing hundreds of Polis' sons and daughters. But on this day, our two hundredth anniversary as a city, even as we look back and remember our lost we also look forward and say tomorrow can be better than today. We declare our defiance in the face of tragedy! We declare that we will build a larger, more poop-filled Turdbowl, and it shall be the envy of the world!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jel Shaker posted:

hmm so I made my little poo canal but after a few weeks it actually started to overflow and eventually flooded my city with poo water

With this latest patch C:S has truly become GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ofaloaf posted:

spooky scary green night skies are rad af

That poo poo looks like it's from VtMB or something. I dig it.