Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah it hates doing a ton of area at once, the zone meters seem to just do their own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is that bridge part of the new pack?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I shouldn't be getting aroused over car parking.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Literally just )O( with the O being the roundabout and the outside brackets being ways on/off. Can also do above below but i'm to lazy to find a keyboard symbol that looks like that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I want to do that but have it extend underground. I'm wondering how feasible it'd be.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I live literally next to an airport (I can look out of my window and see the runway) and only hear the planes if I have my windows open. Even then i've lived near planes all my life and don't even notice anymore. My family would be talking to eachother and people who have come round have said "sorry I didn't hear that, plane" and we'd be like "what plane".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Also, set up some Metro's. I was having major problems getting everyone to work from my residential zone, but I set up two metro lines with buses going to each one and then the same in the commercial and industrial zones. Traffic seemed to drop by about 50%, it was insane.

How far are citizens happy to walk for a bus?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find that I struggle to make things that are pretty because they're not optimal.

But I do want to try and make a town where cable cars and buses are pretty much the only way around. Is there an unlock everything mod?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Oh poo poo, so it is. Pretty cablecar town, here I come.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It can ease up pressure on your freeways. That being said, my freeways are now always a congested shitshow. I need to work out how to fix that. It was fine up until I started making giant cities.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Turdsdown Tom posted:

it's me, i am the vanilla player who doesn't care about detailing. i have literally never used stuff like Move It or Prop Anarchy. the furthest i've gone with modding is stuff like Traffic Manager and 25 tiles just because i'm more interested in the transportation simulation than the actual building of the city. i have no idea what kind of player is more common

I have traffic manager, 25 tiles, lots of car parks (seriously, why are there no base game car parks?) and a series of vehicles to make the roads look samey.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm going to buy it anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I want the snow one just for trams, to be honest.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MisterBibs posted:

What are the practical benefits of districting into industrial specificities? I've got a not-very-big chunk of fertile land on my map, which would imply I should zone it for farming, but I'm lacking the whats-the-point answer. Just a lack of pollution compared to generic industry?

e: also, is there any way to detect where the major to-and-froms are, with regards to traffic, are? Mass Transit in Simcity games was never my strong suit, and having to plan bus lines is a little daunting. The game just popped up a "Use the See Routes button", but didn't bother with actually identifying the See Routes button on my screen.

Honestly with buses I don't really bother looking at the traffic (most of its going to be fairly obvious)

That being said, use bus lines for short journeys and subways for longer journeys. My first attempt at this was having a metro that did my residential, commercial and industrial in a loop, then buses at each metro station that did short journeys from the station to the furthest parts of the zone.

I also designed everything in a square the first time I did this because grids are easy to plan for.

Don't underestimate the importance of paths. One small bridge from your residential district edge to your commercial or industrial district edge will also reduce traffic by quite a lot. If it also leads to a bus station, it'll decrease traffic more, as people will be "closer" to a bus station they can walk to, reducing traffic on roads.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They haven't really changed it, you probably just need to read a traffic management guide (I did this during a lunch break, spent 20 minutes reading it, tried it out in game) and then give it a whirl. The game is primarily about managing traffic and building pretty cities, so if you can't do that you're doing at least 50% of the game wrong.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ohh poo poo, thank you. I've just been using roundabouts as service interchanges and it's probably what's causing some of my backups.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find that rezoning areas once i've made them once is actually a fun part of the game. If I have a clustered, fucky suburbs and manage to clear it up so barely any traffic is on it anymore, it feels really good. Especially when you zoom in close and realise that some of the bridges you built are being used, heavily!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Baronjutter posted:

There's a mod that lets you still get cheevos with mods too!

Wait what.

What.

gently caress.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just apply "encourage biking" citywide if you have the DLC. Its basically a cheat for traffic.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

New Butt Order posted:

I've never driven through one but this looks like it was intentionally designed to cause accidents holy poo poo. Definitely wouldn't want to be anywhere near it when the bars close.

They're real simple for actually driving through, they just look weird and dangerous from a distance.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got a question about poo (never thought i'd type that).

Do you absolutely have to place drains on water? If so, can you place those drains, then remove or channel the water to make a poo river?

I'm thinking of making a city powered by a lovely dam.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Mine is hopefully going to be a huge poo river. Multi tiered if I can help it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm still jealous of everyone's interesting looking cities. My most interesting city was the one powered by poo poo and it wasn't that great.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
gently caress get traffic manager so you can change that one loving junction to have protected left turns, so traffic actually works properly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It took me hours to get a park running at a profit with costs on. There are a lot of things you don't really get told, like you want to try to keep ride costs at $6 per "star" on the ride, or how making your queues look pretty (read, slamming enough props down on it) is super important, or how overtraining staff is a bad idea and you want to just train people who have "high" workload and then pay them more to ensure they don't leave when mad, or how you want to set up where they work with bigger parks to avoid all of them hanging around one place and...

Just play it in sandbox mode if you want to create pretty things.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It honestly sounds hilarious, i'd die laughing if i was suddenly profiting off of violence via buggy light up nipplemen. Sounds like a postal situation.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SkunkDuster posted:

If my industrial areas are short on employees, would it be better to build low density or high density residential?

I generally build high density, but the bigger problem comes from everyone eventually getting educated regardless of you only having one university.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Same with the festivals, I just end up putting the stadium and the festival next to eachother and that way my transport lines that go by them don't feel like a waste.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
As long as I can actually make something like that in game, i'll get it.

Mods will pick up the slack

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dragonshardz posted:

And ferries. And the "eco" buildings which are not garishly oversaturated like some of the default buildings. Blimps and cable cars are cool too. Helicopter-based EMS/PD/FD if you pick up Natural Disasters and shut off random disasters and weather so you don't get forest fires everywhere.

Yeah, most DLC has had something that i'm happy to pick up (on sale) because of a core feature. When I get around to picking this game up again, i'll likely not play the usual way (GIANT CITY LETS GO WOOOOOO) and try and go for something smaller but eye pleasing.

Overwatch competitive season ends in 4 days, so maybe then.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xergm posted:

It actually was something along the lines of "BUY THIS GAME YOU WILL NOT REGRET THIS!!!!" for a while.

I also have 0 regrets about buying this game or any of the DLC. All of it has added enough functionality for modders to build off of which is 90% of the reason i bought this game anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find the biggest problem I have with traffic is that I desperately want to use both the realistic population mod and have a bustling downtown area. What actually happens is it just gets clogged with service vehicles.

Super annoying.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just use a no abandonment mod and forget abandonment exists, imo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I wouldn't mind so much if there was a "quick bulldoze" button, or even a "demolition crew" building that sent out dudes to deal with it. Manually demolishing it is kinda boring, imo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I usually have a one way "through road" for my trucks to get down onto my "commercial sector" (read, shops by the main road) and then a way out somewhere else.

Usually this means I have to disable heavy traffic on the other roads but luckily there is an in game tool to do that! Thank god, i'd hate to have to tell them to stay off the residential streets one by one.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Some places should have parking minimums (i wish we had some in the UK)

I'm still pissed that they cut off half of the only big car park in the town I live in, only to replace it with two megastores and no parking.

Thank you motherfucker who planned this, now food shopping is impossible on weekends.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is there a way to force different sections of a city to use a different set of growables?

I'd like to be able to use say, bobs slum set with jims high tech set without having them mash together.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I love you, thanks

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think transport fever does a really good job of making cities look pretty realistic. Especially when it starts growing around your stations. Residential tends to go right next to transport options, commercial pops up right near where the docks are. If a city is well supplied it'll ask for more.

That last sentence is kind of what I want. Right now the loving bars being entirely wrong annoys me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

vyelkin posted:

Oh yeah that's another thing is a realistic city sim wouldn't have you "building" things by just plopping down roads and buildings. It would have you planning things by saying "I would like the road to go here" and then you would watch it slowly get constructed over several years, during which time things would change and there would be cost overruns because it turned out the topsoil was different than you thought in that area or whatever. Solving traffic problems by widening a road would actually make the traffic worse for several years because the road would have to be temporarily narrowed to allow the construction work of the widening to take place. You would plan a subway station only to find two years later that there's solid granite ten feet underground where you planned it and you're faced with either changing the planning for your entire subway line to put it somewhere else and wasting two years and a bunch of money, or spending five times as much and three times as long to continue with the original plan.

A realistic city sim would be slow and frustrating and as much about managing a tiny budget and trying to match your construction deadlines up with electoral cycles and the unrealistic and short-sighted demands of your dumb population as about actually building a nice city.

This sounds really good actually.