Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Bel Monte posted:

I just realized something that doesn't bode well. With how free it is to mod the game easily and do so much with that, it's inevitable there will be bigger mods that other mods depend upon. It may not be as bad as the simcity 4 community, but... :ohdear:

Just imagine, you want to download this cool building on the workshop. Only it says it won't work if you don't have this other mod. So you download it, only to discover it too needs another mod to work. And this keeps going and going.
We may not escape dependency hell after all.
And with the non-sandboxing of mods, those that phone home or do other horrors seen in KSP or Minecraft Communities, we may see worse!

Turtle shaped offramps all the way down

I wanted to join the local highway showoff and I found what looks like it should be a train switch station.

However my least favorite part of the commute to Philadelphia is just before you enter Chester, where 322 merges with I-95. It's straightforward enough, just a highway merging into an interstate, but the northbound traffic merges from the west side on the left. This is a problem because everyone coming from the suburbs down 322 is trying to get to their job in New Jersey across the commodore barry bridge. Which is an eastbound exit all the way on the right side exactly 1km from the merger leaving you with tons of people trying to cut across 3 lanes of a highway to make the offramp. Oh also there is a second highway merging in on the right hand side along this 1km stretch with people trying to get the gently caress out of the lane before they are forced to exit and end up in jersey.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Anyone with some hot tips for how to do bus stops? I have no clue and just plopped them everywhere and well there isn't really much way to figure out how well it works anyway.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Lprsti99 posted:

Why is there no 4-lane one way road? :psyduck:

Because 4 lanes are dumb and require the same amount of space as 6 lanes and are thus pointless.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is the lot with some construction stuff on it in a specialty industry mean it's been used up?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What is the minimum effectiveness of mass transit before your bus stops etc can be considered useless or laid down by an idiot?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Elevate highways, or build soundbarrier ground highways?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Help I'm too simple minded to understand basic traffic ideas. My city of offensive grids is clogging at the excessive intersections :(

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
the roundabout is already highway, though it seems most of the traffic is before the left intersection so I'm not sure if rounding that about will help.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Ok cutting out every other intersection has resulted in the traffic being within the grids instead of on the 6 lane.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 3, 2015

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hey guys I just went on the paradox site to update my mapgames and oh there's a skylines expansion and OMG ARE THOSE TUNNELS WHAT HAVE I MISSED SINCE LAUNCH?!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Any hot tips on how to make city look more organic and not just a bunch of minmax grids?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I feel like I'm missing out on a lot by not using mods, but the cheevers :ohdear:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Oh. Well now I just need steam to implement filter option for if a mod is for high functioning autism gameplay or just gameplay improvements.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Oh dear, I don't 'get' mass transit systems and I'm just kinda putting poo poo wherever and see what happens.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
why is elementary school radius hosed?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I always want flat terrain for my high density but then I make the map ugly :(

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So the game is unplayable?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Ugh, maps have way too high elevation gradients. Cities end up looking like this geometry warping grossness.

Gimme more flatter maps damnit!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Am I missing something with being able to put down road, etc with perfect 0% grade? I need my bridges to be pure and perfectly level!

Also is there a way to change a couple road tiles into the asymmetric turn lane and not the entire road segment?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
FIX THE MAIL PARADOX!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't get mass transit. I put a train station at each of my dense commerce area, medium/dense residential, and industrial and nobody uses it. Do I just have to wait until traffic gets bad they start using mass transit as an alternative?

Also the insatiable lust for low density residential pisses me off and I keep ending up just making a big ugly square block of mass 2x2 houses to get them to shutup.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 30, 2023

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So I'm supposed to sprinkle commercial all throughout the medium/high density residential areas? Can't just make a big ol commercial blob cause of the customer mechanic and cims hating transit?

Also is there any reason to ever use the normal medium density residential ever again after you unlock the mixed use?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
residential taxes by education is really bizarre considering as far as I can tell there is no coherent logic behind where the educated/wealthy live. Pull up the education or wealth overview and everywhere is just a random mashup regardless of density or land value.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is there a way to clear out ground pollution other than time?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
why's my industrial land value so loving high :(

Oh I see they hate having access to government goods and services like mail, internet, police, fire. Such rugged capitalists!

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 8, 2023

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Thats exactly what happened, anything already there is OK, but anything new is just empty building nobody will rent and if I demolish anything nobody will build in this particular high fallutin value area despite full rci bar.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lmao that they didn't bother making an elevated tram station.

I'll really don't get the high school. Why's it forever 1/8th the student population of all the other education levels?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Half of the jobs in my 50k city are empty because of what I presume is education.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Don't like the mass spam of low density houses complaining about high rent, but they refuse to demand higher density housing (if the bar is empty nobody will build anything, if it's pretty low, they might build, but very high likelihood the building just remains empty and eventually abandoned/collapses). Trying to get people to move in to fill these jobs but no demand.

Also offices are hilariously broken and you just get infinite money from them, they constantly have obscene demand. Media, software, financial make up 80% of my exports lol.

I just want a salt of the earth lunch pail industry city, but industry is stupid, significantly broken by the land value mechanic just shoots to the moon and spreads along your roads like a mold. Except the expansion is stopped by low density housing which will never ever have land value increase around it. I also think it's a terrible mechanic to have industry requiring so many high education employees. Really need 16 university educated workers in your 30 person furniture factory?

I've never seen any material goods exported because offices are a billion times better than industry

Also is it normal to constantly have these insane crashes? I have numerous road maintenance shops and all the roads are green condition.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah my highway interchange was just the default "urban" intersection in the game but flipped so the highway is elevated. Did not know speed mattered for interchanges.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The game still has significant systems like land value that aren't functioning correctly. Not game breaking, but soft locks of sorts I guess as eventually it really fucks up the ability to play a large late city.

So if you've been waiting for the game to get out of beta and into a proper retail build, it's still not there yet.

Make sure you watch the incredible documentary on how they wasted time and resources on documenting their incredible launch of a raw beta build though :)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is there an explanation for why my medium density are slowly emptying out in the heart of my downtown? they keep slowly losing residents until abandoning, but I have demand and if I bulldoze it immediately rebuilds and gets filled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

piratepilates posted:

Very commonly encountered bug. The numbers a lot of the time seem sssuusssppppppicously similar to the max/min of a 32-bit integer, so I'm pretty sure they have some integer overflow bugs they haven't fixed.

Saw another neat bug in the bug report forums. Someone in the paradox forums came up with a hypothesis that not having enough schools is causing large performance degradation, https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/findschoolsystem-dispatcher-spams-queries-blocking-simulation.1620763/

Basic idea is that the game calls a "FindSchoolSystem" function when it tries to find schools for kids, and starts calling it a lot when there's no schools with free space to give, so the performance gets bad as the game desperately tries to find an empty school.

I've noticed some times when going about on the map and seeing a huge mass of students standing on the grounds of the education building. Hundreds of them modeled for no real reason as they study.