Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sigseven posted:

This Swindon Magic Roundabout knock-off says otherwise:

You want bad Swindon Magic implementation? I'll give you bad Swindon Magic implementation.

That's closer to how the actual thing works.

With the prescient lane-handling system it'd probably work pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Enos Shenk posted:

Blender isn't any worse than any other package. Any complex piece of software is going to be intimidating to learn.

I've been using Blender for 12 or so years, and happy to answer questions in the IRC. irc.synirc.org #skylines

I've got most of the kinks worked out of this:

Should be slapping it on the Workshop tommorow.

Oh man, I hadn't even THOUGHT about how many arcologies are going to end up on the workshop.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a 'circle segment' road laying tool mod yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Or the author is from the Commonwealth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a way to make nuclear power plans melt down?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drunkill posted:

Huh. I'd expect the game to reverse directions if you unchecked left-side driving if a map was created in it. Oh well.

In my experience it can be inconsistent when it comes to highways.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SwissCM posted:

While the soundtrack for this isn't too bad, I think Sim City 3000 and 4 still hold the title for best city building music.

3000, in particular.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TomR posted:

Oculus city.

This feels like some kind of sci-fi dystopia. Please place the space elevator dead centre.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Power cables are annoying as gently caress because sometimes you make a new zone and then you have to run a power cable through it to power it then wait for some to build up so you can delete the cable and rezone the land the cable was sitting on. Agh.

Is there a tool where I can tell where foot traffic is loving up car traffic so footbridges would help?

Dred_furst posted:

loving about with bad interchange designs from real life:

Maybe replace that onramp with a two-lane one-way road?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not enough roundabouts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Just like when fighting ghosts, never cross the streams.

Off-map freight and passenger can share a network, just make sure to only have one or two passenger stations.
Your in-city freight system should be totally isolated, sometimes you can share it with the outside world connection but only if your off-map freight traffic is fairly low.
Your in-city passenger system should always be 100% isolated from everything else, SPECIALLY your outside connection. Every passenger station you build that is connected off the map will get a spam of off-map trains.

Where should my in-city freight be connecting?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

:stare: That might not be curvy, but I wish I had the traffic wizardry knowhow to make something like that.

It helps that it's very low density. Look at all the greenspace in each block.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can't recreate my hometown (Melbourne) without trams, either. Or a rail-underground connector. Or smaller drat train stations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress I wish this game automatically moved around supports on elevated roads when something's going underneath them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone mentioned there was a way to filter the little popups you get throughout the city? How?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A new item for a wishlist: a 'smooth roads' button that let you highlight a segment of jagged road and it... relaxes it into a smoother road.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really want them to take all the profits from this game and go full 90's Maxis crazy. CimIsle.

I miss SimIsle. :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How do unlocks work? I remember hearing that some were cross-save, but what are?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alakaiser posted:

Oh hey! One of my mods got put on TotallyMoo's mod collection thing. Truly, I have made it with my code template and three lines of original code.

(okay, there's extra code because of display differences in aspect ratio. Who the hell still uses a 4:3 monitor?!)

Sometimes I use a 4:3 window so I can shove things beside it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the game needs graphs and displays for things like traffic that actually show problem areas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I would be okay with minor disasters. Events. Major city-reshaping disasters I want no part of.

It's just a few small roundabouts connected by a two-way ring road. If it was spaced a little further out you'd see it's actually pretty simple.

The Swindon one is over-compressed but therea are a few other ones in Britain that are larger and cleaner that are quite sensible to look at.

EDIT: like if you were to properly do the magic roundabout in Cities it'd look like this:

Cities makes you space stuff out more.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 19, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unfortunately, the map view doesn't really capture the wonderful Westgate Freeway/Citylink interchange where it was really awkward for a while to have people pop onto the Westgate for a kilometre before they hit and turned onto Citylink, so they ended up just going 'gently caress it, let's just run Citylink onraps and offramps a kilometre and a half to where they were getting on the Westgate'.

That said, I don't think my city has much really crazy in the way of interchanges. We have some great actual intersections, though. Like this is a few blocks from me, a surprisingly well-functioning intersection between a 'highway' (which means major road, it's fully stop-lighted, onramp/offramp roads are called freeways here) and just a couple of local roads, a very simple intersection in theory. Turning from Nepean Southbound onto Bay always confuses newbies, though.

Speaking of Melbourne, I want trams so I can see my cims have to suffer Hook Turns.

Also, this roundabout is too simple, let's add trams just to gently caress everyone up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 19, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really miss getting a Mayor's house!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Y'all seem to like your wind farms, as soon as I got nuclear I was like 'gently caress that poo poo' and bulldozed the lot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

queeb posted:

(Users with the Disable Film Grain mod subscribed from Steam workshop and enabled will be notified with a "Console warning" when the game start and the game will automatically disable the mod and set the film grain amount to 0 so that no action from users is required apart from closing the Console panel).

Good god but are they being accommodating to the users.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The size of passenger train stations in this game is absurd.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 19, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone have any advice for getting my crime rate up to 50%?

Noyemi K posted:

I know, I was at the Amtrak station in Silver Spring a while back and it was significantly larger.

Maybe, but Amtrack's cross-country. I can understand huge stations for intercity train, but metropolitan commuter stations should be a thing too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Freakus posted:

Wind is $10/MW. Solar is something like $7.5/MW. The real question is: why would you build coal, oil, or nuclear plants?

Those numbers seem... like they didn't balance them right. Renewables should cost more. It even says in the description.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Catalyst driver override application AA settings wasn't doing anything until I forced the game to DirectX 9 with -force-d3d9, then I could override it. Still looks ehhhhh, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm on an old enough machine that supersampling isn't a great idea.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Weirdo conspiracy theories aside, green energy in the game really is too powerful. From a game balance perspective alone, it's possible to make the argument that something is weird. There's basically no reason to use fossil energy sources whatsoever since wind farms and solar plants are far more efficient in every way except space (which can easily be mitigated), and also don't produce any waste. There's no real tradeoff to make, those sources are just objectively better than coal and oil.

Yeah, I was thinking this. I was building oil because I was assuming it'd be cheaper than the green stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sad that so many people seem to be making great buildings then putting them in as uniques. I want growables, damnit!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And nuclear has an extra cost in terms of high water use, too.

I had a loop situation at one point where there was a brief interruption, and then because the power was off the water stopped, and then the connection was restored but the water wouldn't work without power and the power wouldn't work without water.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there any reason not to build cargo stations on their own little dead-end asides rather than on the main train line?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One thing I'm really missing is larger versions of certain city services. A high-capacity elementary school or a high-capacity high school would be good. Although it might be prone to abuse given that there's apparently no distance limit on effective schooling.

What would be really great would be a drat necropolis.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pwnyXpress posted:

Got my crime rate to 41%, now I just gotta keep it there for TWO YEARS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I inadvertently got that unlock while going for the abandonment one. If your population plummets it pushes the % high, I think.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Surprised there isn't a mod that turns water pollution a deep, vibrant brown.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wit posted:

V: I dont think they're ever going to "fix" anything we call bugs. The modding community has this game now.

Not only have they fixed it, they've already patched a popular mod (film grain removal) into the base game. They're gonna support this well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone know a way to see the stats for existing parks and the like? I wanna make some custom ones but wanna know the settings so I don't game the system.

Nutsngum posted:

Does anyone else feel like the population counter is stupid low for the size of the cities? My current one is 40,000 people but looks like it should be fitting 300,000+ in it without much issue.

There's a mod for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alakaiser posted:

Every time I want to play this game, I open up the workshop and look at stuff for awhile and then end up working on my own mod and then oops I'm out of free time :negative:

It's kinda like playing Skyrim.