Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just bought this game four days ago and I'm contemplating my first triple-decker traffic circle. :getin: The double-decker* actually handles way more traffic than I thought you could shove through it but it gets a little backed up sometimes.

I would trade my hydro plant for a NO LEFT TURN sign button though.

*i think of it as the hellgate

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

With rail and sea cargo terminals, it dawned on me that I need to build a road siding just like I would build a rail siding.

gently caress heavy industry though I have no problem bulldozing your polluting undereducated scum factory that will be abandoned in two months anyway because my city is too precious and special for u~~~

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made it worse :ohdear:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 2, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Seriously though count the roads there, that's seven major roads converging at one point, plus two more small roads. The split-level traffic circle handled it fairly well (northbound traffic is on the surface, southbound traffic underground) but I was getting u-turn problems on a few of the on-ramp/off-ramp pairs. The fix to that (the tunnels in the center) caused an intermittent slowdown and backups on the lower level.

Clearly a third roundabout did nothing to solve the problem and only congested the feeder roads worse. Fortunately I saved before constructing that abomination.

I'd like to build some sort of bypass for the four most popular routes through the interchange on the upper level but how to do it without wrecking the feeder roads has me stumped. Is the answer... more, smaller roundabouts?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Seriously though count the roads there, that's seven major roads converging at one point, plus two more small roads. The split-level traffic circle handled it fairly well (northbound traffic is on the surface, southbound traffic underground) but I was getting u-turn problems on a few of the on-ramp/off-ramp pairs. The fix to that (the tunnels in the center) caused an intermittent slowdown and backups on the lower level.

Clearly a third roundabout did nothing to solve the problem and only congested the feeder roads worse. Fortunately I saved before constructing that abomination.

I'd like to build some sort of bypass for the four most popular routes through the interchange on the upper level but how to do it without wrecking the feeder roads has me stumped. Is the answer... more, smaller roundabouts?

Last post curse.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Koesj posted:

You're trying to connect way too many roads in one go mate, but here try out something that's a little bit cleaner:

But that's half the fun of these games, enjoyment engineering your way out of a ridiculous problem.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Koesj posted:

Have you tried a simple level roundabout yet???

Yes, it was congested. I buried a second one and routed southbound traffic through it. Like I said the split level north/south circle worked pretty well, but a couple heavily used routes caused backups on the lower level.

I'm thinking the answer is seven small roundabouts for the feed roads. That way I can put a bypass on top without congestion on the ramps.

Edit: did I mention I have to get a surface rail line through there when I'm done?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 10, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's my first city so yes, there's no reason why the road networks should converge there. They just do. To add to the problem, the neighborhoods directly to the south, east, and southwest are high value high density residential and commercial zones near the downtown business district(s). If you look closely there's a metro stop at the southeast end of the interchange and there's a passenger rail station just off screen to the east. It's a lovely problem.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 10, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does the dlc break existing cities?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hate the grand mall. Our sticks so bad

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How come some commercial buildings top out at little squat five-story podunk nowhere buildings?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's pomo?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I really fixed the hellgate this time. It looks like an alien tentacle demon now (much more so than before) but that's appropriate.

Nine roads enter, ten roads leave. :cthulhu:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 2, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

So I just bought the expansion and have a few kinda OCD questions.
I like that there are bikes but they are handled very strangely. Why do they ride on the sidewalks? Is there any downside to allowing that or any plus to banning it? The parks menu bike paths are nice but peds can't use them. I've never seen a cycle path that didn't allow peds or have a place for them some how. It looks awful to draw a ped path and bike path next to each other. What are the advantages of using the roads with bike lanes vs just letting everyone ride on the sidewalk?
What exactly is the point of the new commercial specializations in terms of game mechanics? Do citizens now demand leisure ? Do the districts some how make citizens more happy? How do they functionally differ from normal commercial? And are tourist zones worth it, is tourism actually a working thing now?

Basically I see a lot of visually cool stuff and there's a bunch more options but from a sort of german spread sheet anno sperg perspective what are the mechanics?

Red=bad. Green=good. Happy to help.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I give you:

The traffic toilet.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's the beginning of the city center and it's laid out as a grid. There's no fixing that intersection without basically bulldozing a dozen or more skyscrapers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pierson posted:

what does a 'good' highway-to-actual-city interchange look like anyway? I have a similar problem where the highway the game starts you with slams straight into the grid where I first started and it goes:

Also when I get access to offices can I immediately tear down the awful industrial poo poo?

My immediate thought is that you have a left turn problem there.

Also, you have a six lane highway dumping out into a two lane road.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 13, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm getting a lot of train traffic jams, and I haven't thought very carefully about my train stations and train lines. Passenger train stations seems to be spawning a worrying number of trains. The fulledness of them varies wildly from 4/240 to 80/240.

It's gotten to the point where I have 8 or in some cases 12 tracks backed up that can't pull into a station because the station keeps spawning trains that then can't pull out.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 14, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I also have ridiculous stuff like an 8-track section that sits unused because the trains want to route through THESE 2 TRACKS ONLY RINGO, gently caress YOU THOMAS OUT.

Oh god I just panned over the whole city and like 80% of track is full of stalled passenger train. Train cancer indeed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does natural resource and industrial natural resource districts affect cargo traffic flow?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

numlock

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do leisure zones work? I made one and now I have like a street with two nightclubs next to my tax office.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Works better than a grid but the cross streets where the little grids intersect main thoroughfares are still a problem.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Who wouldn't want to live in a city center of massive tower blocks and empty 6-lane roads?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any reason leisure specialization allows low-density commercial in high-density zones? I'm annoyed that I built a new river walk for downtown and put it to leisure spesh and then it turned into strip malls.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Where can I get a corduroy ground texture like that?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

I assume the England style is a result of farms working around inconvenient terrain features or copses that were too hard to cut down.

Also: plow technology. Technology, materials and techniques informed ancient and premodern agriculture just as much as it does today, we just tend not to think about it too hard. Long narrow plots are good because turning the plow around is a waste of time and a pain in the rear end. Copse in the way is fine, whatever, the plot is long and narrow anyway so just bend them around it. Nobody has time to remove stumps with iron hand tools. Cutting down trees isn't hard it's the loving stumps seriously they still use explosives to clear those in some places because fuuuuck that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

More innovative roundabout interchanges.

The business district skyline from the old town.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 1, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chenghiz posted:

Here's an intersection I'm mildly proud of, although it still needs some work:

No, no, needs more jug handles! More!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Downtown's lovely in the evening.

And it's a lovely evening downtown.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

kids are taking daily train trips to elementary school.

All part of CommonObamaTrakCore :unsmigghh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The frame rate has finally tanked at 160000 what do I doooo oooo!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Presented without comment:

What does it even do?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to fix this? This... does not look right for mid-day.

The billboards are emitting light brighter than the sun.

Congratulations on building Gotham.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hadlock posted:

What does it even do?

It's the "high five" intersection in Dallas, I used to have to drive through it daily on my commute for about three years.

That's probably the only good shot of it ever. From the road it looks like any other dystopian suburban hellscape interchange.

Fun fact at the bottom there is an intersection for two bicycle paths, one leads north in to the suburbs of Richardson, the other leads east to the Texas Instruments campus just out of frame to the bottom of the picture, and in the other direction it heads south to White Rock Lake along a creek bed, which is sort of the bicycle path hub of Dallas, and you can link up with the Santa Fe Trail, which will lead you in to downtown Dallas along a 'rails to trails' paved bike path.

edit: this is what it looks like in Google Maps. It's about 5 miles north (NNE) of Downtown Dallas.

[/quote]

But why does it need 12 lanes and 3-lane (6-lane!) on and off ramps and bridges for frontage roads?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I drove in Dallas once. That was the only time in my life I genuinely thought I was going to have an accident.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As an American midwesterner, that's almost as disgusting as the Texas style 12-lane everything. Where're the stroads?!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love how those streetlights in the square look like they were placed by maniacs. "You don't tell me where to build, Giorgi! No one tells Yaroslav where to build!"

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Supraluminal posted:

As lovely as that is, there's too much limited-access highway. Needs more six-lane roads lined with commercial development and at-grade intersections.

YEsssssss