Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Well, there are only so many events, and seemingly infinite amounts of silly wrestler pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wasn't complaining one bit, this is legitimately my favourite place in PSP

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
reposting from gif thread

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

They should really just turn Naito heel now that Ibushi's become a better and more over Naito than Naito himself is. He's great at it.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
fit finlay's kid is heading to the njpw dojo

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

congratulations hornswoggle

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

acai moonsault posted:

congratulations hornswoggle

That's Vince's kid

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thauros posted:

They should really just turn Naito heel now that Ibushi's become a better and more over Naito than Naito himself is. He's great at it.

He's just such a little dick when he wants to be a heel.

Plus I can only imagine he WANTS to be heel, since the reason his ring gear is always red is because he loves Char Aznable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LvK posted:

I don't know if you actually missed the joke or not but I like your answer and am now imagining the lineup of Super J Cup 94 shopping for animal jammies.

I'm sure there is a joke I missed but in doing so I provided a Japan pro-tip, so I hope that balances things out. I do enjoy the picture of Rilakuma Gedo though.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Were they thinking of turning him at some point? I remember when I first started watching G1 I read somewhere that Naito was skewing heel at the time. It does seem like a much better persona than 'not-Ibushi'.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Might as well reform NO LIMIT, not like either of them is doing much right now. Plus it'd give the heavyweight division a much needed regular team.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Well, there are only so many events, and seemingly infinite amounts of silly wrestler pictures.

i too like pineapple a lot. we should hang out

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Spermgod posted:

reposting from gif thread

I'm brand new and unfamiliar with heel Naito and this is great!

I got a tablet yesterday and the first order of business was obviously this

The YeaOH!Pad

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tonfa posted:

Might as well reform NO LIMIT, not like either of them is doing much right now. Plus it'd give the heavyweight division a much needed regular team.

Only if Takahashi leaves BC.

Because Naito joins BC over my dead body.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://www.njpw.co.jp/english/data/list_profile.php

Masato Tanaka coming up in the Backyard thread reminded me how it's weird how they leave guys on their roster page who haven't been there forever. Tanaka hasn't been in NJPW since the 2013 Tag League, Inoue retired last summer and hasn't wrestled in 2 years, and Koslov's gone as well.

It's not like they don't update the page either as Jay White and Cody Hall both have entries.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 27, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
The ticket site is listing Invasion Attack as only having a few seats left, so it's going to sell out. If they actually sold tickets for the whole building that's pretty crazy as Tanahashi, Okada and Nakamura have never managed to do that. Ibushi has with DDT so you could make an argument that Ibushi is the top draw in Japan right now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I believe King of Pro Wrestling last year headlined by Tanahashi vs Styles was a legit sellout, but the fact this year's show is doing better than last year's with a Tana/Nakamura main event is impressive.

It's nice to see them push someone new and get tewarded.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
They only put 9100 tickets on sale for KOPW apparently. Could be the same deal here.

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark
I love Okada, but it certainly feels like they've been getting a lot more out of Ibushi with far less of an investment in getting him over, relatively.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I wonder how much of it is Ibushi, or if it's a case of NJPW itself getting more popular?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I wonder how much of it is Ibushi, or if it's a case of NJPW itself getting more popular?

Probably both I'd imagine. Ibushi seems like he's really hot right now and NJPW has been putting on a fantastic product with a broad appeal for almost a year (it may be more, I've only been paying attention since G1 though). Good for them. I'm glad they have an awesome service in world that allows people outside of Japan to see their product. Considering how sheepish Japanese companies are with the globalization of their products, it definitely isn't the norm (though certainly welcome). I cannot wait for Styles vs Ibushi. I am infinitely more excited for Invasion Attack than for Wrestlemania.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I really do think that's a lot of it. The company's shown continual steady growth since the BushiRoad takeover in February 2012. It's great that Ibushi's gotten over as well as he has though and I think he can definitely be the fourth native main event star Naito failed to become.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Thauros posted:

I think he can definitely be the fourth native main event star Naito failed to become.

I'd actually really like to see a Naito/Ibushi feud loosely based around this. Have Naito be frustrated that his career didn't go as he planned, try taking it out on the new star Ibushi. Their NJPW Cup match was awesome, and Naito playing more of a heel role could keep it fresh.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
invasion attack is sold out

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm reading ROH World, and someone there said KUSHIDA lives in Toronto. Is that for real? Seems weird to me.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Akileese posted:

How do you play though? Is it a mobile app? PC app? Where can I download it? I want to get a box of cards once I'm done moving.

Hey hello. First I should say that there is not much "playing" really, it is more like a lot of mobile games nowadays where you make your lineup and then it auto-resolves a match with another team. There is a mobile app available on the U.S. Apple store called KoPW that pretty much just duplicates the website at kopw.jp. The phone app is mostly useful for using your cell phone camera to scan the barcode on cards and add them to your library.

I don't actually know how to do anything on the website except challenge friends to practice matches, I think. Speaking of which ScandalousMurph just added me so after I get my next box of cards I will post another thrilling Let's Play of Team King Gaijin laying waste to all challengers.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWgCdyLz3pc

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

epitasis posted:

Hey hello. First I should say that there is not much "playing" really, it is more like a lot of mobile games nowadays where you make your lineup and then it auto-resolves a match with another team. There is a mobile app available on the U.S. Apple store called KoPW that pretty much just duplicates the website at kopw.jp. The phone app is mostly useful for using your cell phone camera to scan the barcode on cards and add them to your library.

I don't actually know how to do anything on the website except challenge friends to practice matches, I think. Speaking of which ScandalousMurph just added me so after I get my next box of cards I will post another thrilling Let's Play of Team King Gaijin laying waste to all challengers.

I won our last series after I finally added my best of super jr cards. Team Tekno 2000 uber alles. I opened a box of Strong Style 2nd Edition yesterday but didn't do an opening vid for that. Should I do one for my WK9 ones I got?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yes. But also look until you have a Bruce Tharpe card I don't think you can be said to have "won."

I've got a box of the second series (the Greatest Wrestlers one) that's been sitting somewhere at JFK for like a week.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

lol

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
the liger vs tiger mask nwa jr title match is excellent

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

epitasis posted:

I've got a box of the second series (the Greatest Wrestlers one) that's been sitting somewhere at JFK for like a week.

UPDATE: this is supposed to be delivered today so prepare for practice match squashes

Also re ROH USA shows:

triplexpac posted:

Metlzer has been talking up the NJPW shows lately, saying that "if you have tickets you will not be disappointed with who they're bringing over". So it sounds like things are looking good for when they announce talent today or tomorrow!

gently caress I don't have a passport and I might have a wedding that weekend

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://www.njpw.co.jp/nagata_uso/

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Nagata is the 3rd Uso??

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

epitasis posted:

Awesome thanks so much!

Unrelated, I am very sad that I won't be able to be in either Philly or Toronto for Tanahashi's appearances.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Pretty cool, even though using 'uso' in the url gave away that it was just an April Fools joke.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

oh i see it's an anti-aging product

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

epitasis posted:

UPDATE: this is supposed to be delivered today so prepare for practice match squashes

OK I actually tried customizing my team this time instead of doing the automatic selection and got spanked.

I think there must be a heavy recency bias where the newest cards are basically better than the older ones? The only match I won against NQQ was the semi-main tag match where I had the "King & Ace" tag team of Makabe and Tanahashi against his Taguchi and Kushida. But my tag team didn't activate all the pre-match bonuses like his Young Bucks team did earlier on the card so idk.

Using the One-Winged Angel with Kenny Omega def gave me a special effectiveness boost but nowhere else did matching up people with their actual moves seem to help.

To this practice match I say: foak off

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

fun fact there's a whole card "cost" thing where I think they have tourneys or whatever where you have a maximum cost for your whole team? anyway the only 0 cost card that I have is my Young Lion version of Tanahashi

edit: "lease cards"????????

edit: you can also trade voltage points for entrance music. MAX VOLTAGE YEAR. I have 400 voltage and have no idea what it's based on. you can get the ROH logo for your team for 5000 points

edit: oh my god you can send your cards on overseas expeditions or something I wish I understood this so bad http://kopw.jp/play_login/step7.html

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

epitasis posted:

fun fact there's a whole card "cost" thing where I think they have tourneys or whatever where you have a maximum cost for your whole team? anyway the only 0 cost card that I have is my Young Lion version of Tanahashi

I got a 0 cost Komatsu in my Strong Style II Box I need to upload. He's only Grade 1 and the move I got for him (SMALL PACKAGE HOLD) was 1 cost. I also got a dope foil YTR and Grade 5 Ishii that's only 2 cost.

There is something with teaming up actual boosts to their wrestler or tag teams together. I really wish the rules and the concepts were translated. It seems to be a pretty simple game but something is lost with Google Translate.

• Locked thread