Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Theme: Sinners & Saints/Heaven & Hell
Record a cover of a song about religion/spirituality/religious or spiritual figures/afterlife/what have you. It can be critical or complementary, or neither. If you think it fits, it probably does.

There are myriad examples of songs with religious themes. Here are a couple of links to start your search:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_critical_of_religion
http://www.songfacts.com/category-songs_about_spirituality_or_religion.php

Deadline: Monday, April 20th 2015 :420:
I'm not saying that your entry should be a stoner doom jam, but I'm not saying it shouldn't be! poo poo, what was I saying?

Rockstar FAQ:

quote:

What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music?
Soundcloud. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.

Do it! Have fun! Make music! Praise Jesus! Hail Satan! Let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Alternative Pants posted:

I'm actually already done with The World is a Thorn by Demon Hunter... DAMMIT CST GIVE US THE THREAD.
Here's a rough mix. I still have to do some leveling and add more guitars and fix the vocals in a few places.

May I just say, drop tuning Floyd Rose equipped guitars sucks.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 17, 2015

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Haha, I bet. You pulled it off, though.

Think I'm going to go for Jars of Clay - Flood. As doom-laden as possible.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

The World is a Thorn... Might want to actually post the track...

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Just claiming "Prayer" by Disturbed in the new thread.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Might do "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" but seems sort of ambitious at this point.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Think I'll work on Thor's "When Gods Collide."

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Going to claim "Hallelujah" by whoever sang it first, it's been covered a million times already. "I heard there was a secret chord" etc.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I think I'm gonna do Spirit Needs A Spirit Tool by His Name Is Alive.

Glad to see some familiar names posting here.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

I think I'm gonna do Spirit Needs A Spirit Tool by His Name Is Alive.

Glad to see some familiar names posting here.

I always love your entries. Hopefully it won't take too much to get back to having a dozen entries every round.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Alternative pants posted:

I always love your entries. Hopefully it won't take too much to get back to having a dozen entries every round.

Thanks, and the feeling's mutual!

I think I might not have actually finished a complete track since my last Rockstar entry over a year ago? Having Rockstar deadlines (fluid though they may be) was a huge creative motivation for me. Without some kind of goal I end up starting project after project, but hardly ever finishing anything.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Let me see if I can get a version of NIN - Heresy banged out in the next week or two

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

Thanks, and the feeling's mutual!

I think I might not have actually finished a complete track since my last Rockstar entry over a year ago? Having Rockstar deadlines (fluid though they may be) was a huge creative motivation for me. Without some kind of goal I end up starting project after project, but hardly ever finishing anything.

I know the feeling. I've got a ton of sketches and chord sheets written out but only one or two completed tracks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I haven't looked at Rockstar in a little while. How did the last one go?

I'd like to claim "Heaven Can Wait" by Meatloaf for my entry

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Didn't soundcloud use to have a way to upload new files into an existing track as an update?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Didn't soundcloud use to have a way to upload new files into an existing track as an update?
If you have one of the pro plans, you can edit your track and replace the audio file. Is that what you mean?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

If you have one of the pro plans, you can edit your track and replace the audio file. Is that what you mean?

Yeah. I guess they gave me a free trial of pro a while back because I know I did it with one of my regular demos.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
I'll be trying my hands at Prayer in C by Lilly Wood & The Prick. None of that Robin Schulz Remix crap though.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
Started making some tracks for Like a Stone by Audioslave today. I think it's gonna be real interesting.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

T-15 days and all quiet on the western front...

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

T-15 days and all quiet on the western front...
drat I really needed that reminder... Just got to get it out of the door I guess, before I start second-guessing myself and start all over. Tomorrow is the day!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I can't really complain at anyone except myself. I got all excited about the theme and had my entry pretty much finished before the thread was even up.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I'm still working. Got the arrangement together, and tomorrow I'm gonna sit down and record it all. Probably mix it the next day, too.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I'm about 25% there. Hoping to finish the arrangement today. Will record the vocals in the coming week, and then it's all mixing after that.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I made some good progress today! Most of the actual writing of notes is done and I have a good idea for the rest. Soon I get to move it out of Gadget to the real instruments.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Going to try and bang it out tomorrow night at band practice, crossing my fingers it goes well.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Haven't started. You guys are nuts.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I did the piano and vocs for the two first verses. Piano sounds like poo poo, when I record, it sounds spot on, but when I play back it is off tempo. I got frustrated and haven't worked on it in like a week.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Koivunen posted:

I did the piano and vocs for the two first verses. Piano sounds like poo poo, when I record, it sounds spot on, but when I play back it is off tempo.
If it's consistently off tempo (like always behind the exact same amount), that could just be a latency issue and you can fix it post-recording by just shifting the audio clips on your timeline. (Or you could possibly be recording with record quantize enabled, which can mess up your timing on playback if you weren't trying to follow the metronome/grid exactly when you played).

What program are you using to record (Ableton Live, Audacity, etc)?

ALSO: Mostly finished my arrangement last night. It's pretty close to what I had in my head before I started working on it, so at least it feels like I'm on the right path. Just hope I don't f*ck it up on the vocals.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Radiapathy posted:

If it's consistently off tempo (like always behind the exact same amount), that could just be a latency issue and you can fix it post-recording by just shifting the audio clips on your timeline. (Or you could possibly be recording with record quantize enabled, which can mess up your timing on playback if you weren't trying to follow the metronome/grid exactly when you played).

What program are you using to record (Ableton Live, Audacity, etc)?

I will look into that, thanks for the tip. I use Avid Vocal Studio which isn't the best program for fine-tuning. I play with the metronome, and the program is rather strict on how far it allows you to shift audio clips before auto-pasting it to the next bar. I'm sure there's a technical term to describe it but I don't know what it is.

Edit: Didn't see anything goofy, maybe it's just a combo of my computer being kind of old and only paying $80 for the software and mic. My piano sometimes cuts out as if I'm not pushing the pedal down too. I fixed the problem by just re-recording the entire piano track in one take. Also started working more on the vocals, and realized my best take has my cat meowing twice in the background. Do I take it out or leave it... Hmm.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 7, 2015

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Koivunen posted:

I will look into that, thanks for the tip. I use Avid Vocal Studio which isn't the best program for fine-tuning. I play with the metronome, and the program is rather strict on how far it allows you to shift audio clips before auto-pasting it to the next bar. I'm sure there's a technical term to describe it but I don't know what it is.
I'm not familiar with any Avid software, but there's usually a "snap to grid" feature that will result in the behavior you're describing (of not being able to shift clips exactle where you want).

Also, definitely keep the cat.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

Also, definitely keep the cat.

Agreeing with this. I have my (now long dead) dog barking starting at around 37s in this old demo.

Kinda cool being able to still hear her now.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
Finished mine today. Might do a bit of a remix tomorrow, as my ears are super fatigued (as is my throat!).

Audioslave - Like a Stone
https://soundcloud.com/someguybrian/like-a-stone

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Finished recording last night, pretty happy with the way it's turning out. Now I just gotta totally blow it with the mix. :v:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CaptainViolence posted:

Now I just gotta totally blow it with the mix. :v:

In all honesty, this is one of the reasons I love doing this. I'm still far from brilliant at recording and mixing, but the feedback I've gotten has produced a definite improvement from when I was sitting in a dorm room running my guitar into a cheap pedal board directly into my mixer. Speaking of, that could be something fun: Take an older entry, redo it and make an album out of that.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

In all honesty, this is one of the reasons I love doing this. I'm still far from brilliant at recording and mixing, but the feedback I've gotten has produced a definite improvement from when I was sitting in a dorm room running my guitar into a cheap pedal board directly into my mixer. Speaking of, that could be something fun: Take an older entry, redo it and make an album out of that.

That's definitely my favorite part of the whole process, just beating out learning how to pick apart and rearrange songs by other people. It's one thing to read about and study all this stuff for recording and mixing, but Rockstar lets me try things out and get feedback.

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!

The Mystery Date posted:

Finished mine today. Might do a bit of a remix tomorrow, as my ears are super fatigued (as is my throat!).

Audioslave - Like a Stone
https://soundcloud.com/someguybrian/like-a-stone

drat, that's nice! Anyone who can cover Chris Cornell, and do a good job, is pretty impressive.

I did something pretty weird. This is a song about the baby Jesus.

https://soundcloud.com/slippyhat-1/space-lord

SlippyHat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 10, 2015

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
The submissions so far have been awesome. Really nice work.

Here's my entry, Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. This is technically my first draft but I found out yesterday that I'm going out of town for a while for work, so it's going to have to be my final version. Would have liked to fix some/a lot of stuff but OH WELL. See if you can hear the cat (he sounds like a duck).

https://soundcloud.com/koivunen/hallelujah-leonard-cohen-cover

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 11, 2015

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Here's my cover of Prayer by Disturbed! Now I can catch up on listening to the other entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CaptainViolence posted:

Here's my cover of Prayer by Disturbed! Now I can catch up on listening to the other entries.

Disturbed ukulele. Wow.

• Locked thread