Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NutritiousSnack posted:

lol at ever using this logic and pretending to be the "serious bussiness" gimmick poster

If you think the ratings for a two month period or even a full year will matter at the end of a multi year deal you have zero clue. Ratings have little correlation to PPV business, house shows, anything. Ratings are important long term since you do need to keep bringing in new fans and do need to be above your station's average but that's about it. Ratings can be useful because they come in quickly so you can get an idea of what the audience is interested in but that doesn't necessarily equate to what they'll pay for. Disco Inferno was a big ratings mover back in the day and he never ever meant a thing for business.

Spermgod posted:

what exactly was all the stuff about "not playing by the customs that govern this business" supposed to be then? i thought it was horrible russo-level poo poo. great delivery though.

Kind of thought he was talking about the fact Brock has never played by the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Azuroru posted:

I guess if you want continuity, Seth said he faked his brotherly role in the Shield, but... at least that facade benefited them. I have no idea how faking tensions with the Authority would benefit anyone unless it was just a story telling attempt to fake out the audience or something.

If they hadn't fooled the audience the audience would have warned Randy. You know, like in puppet theater.

"Behind you, Randy :ohdear:"

DGib
Jan 22, 2010

GrimGypsy posted:

I know what will be a fun game to play.

Posters of PSP: What would have to happen on RAW next week for you to become legitimately really interested in Wrestlemania? No one is expecting you to have "Stone Cold vs Rock" levels of care - but what could get you even halfway invested?

Cody Rhodes vs. Dustin Rhodes

IC belt and US belt unification

Brock Lesnar vs a competent human being

Kevin Owens debut where he kills everyone

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

GrimGypsy posted:

Posters of PSP: What would have to happen on RAW next week for you to become legitimately really interested in Wrestlemania? No one is expecting you to have "Stone Cold vs Rock" levels of care - but what could get you even halfway invested?

Shane McMahon returns and reforms the corporate ministry.

EDIT: better yet, Kevin Sullivan debuts and reforms the dungeon of doom.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 17, 2015

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

GrimGypsy posted:

Rollins cashes in and wins the title, thereby heading into Mania as champ and suddenly making it a triple threat with a single week for build. Since it's not about projecting long term implications and just what would make me want to see what happens next, do a gigantic swing and change everything at the last possible second.

I'm already enjoying this lovely build to see how many things they can fuckup, so more chaos is fine by me. Even (and especially) if it's misguided.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MassRafTer posted:

If you think the ratings for a two month period or even a full year will matter at the end of a multi year deal you have zero clue. Ratings have little correlation to PPV business, house shows, anything. Ratings are important long term since you do need to keep bringing in new fans and do need to be above your station's average but that's about it. Ratings can be useful because they come in quickly so you can get an idea of what the audience is interested in but that doesn't necessarily equate to what they'll pay for. Disco Inferno was a big ratings mover back in the day and he never ever meant a thing for business.

Kind of thought he was talking about the fact Brock has never played by the rules.

Surely the first thing a TV station looks at when it comes time to renegotiate is a massive spreadsheet with quarter-hour breakdowns of every show during the previous contract period, compared to everything else that was on that night. In this era of cost-cutting and rationalisation, they're going to seize any opportunity they can to save money, and that probably means getting the intern to spend a week making all sorts of graphs that say "your poo poo is losing viewers" so they can justify low-balling them as far as possible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

Surely the first thing a TV station looks at when it comes time to renegotiate is a massive spreadsheet with quarter-hour breakdowns of every show during the previous contract period, compared to everything else that was on that night. In this era of cost-cutting and rationalisation, they're going to seize any opportunity they can to save money, and that probably means getting the intern to spend a week making all sorts of graphs that say "your poo poo is losing viewers" so they can justify low-balling them as far as possible.

If that's the way things worked WWE would have gotten the TV rights fees they thought they were going to get last year.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

This show would have been a million times better if Rusev's lawyer was Bruce Tharpe.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

This show would have been a million times better if Rusev's lawyer was Bruce Tharpe.

He does often represent immigrants.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

PWI posted:

Longtime Ring Of Honor veteran Jimmy Jacobs has signed a deal with WWE to become part of the creative team.

Jacobs, who has been negotiating with WWE for a while now, is expected to start with the company in April, and will likely work his final show in Ring Of Honor at the "Supercard of Honor" event in California during WrestleMania 31 weekend.

That seems pretty freaking cool. From Rosebud to Writer, the Jimmy Jacobs story.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Writer Cath posted:

That seems pretty freaking cool. From Rosebud to Writer, the Jimmy Jacobs story.

That explains what they've been doing with him in ROH. I don't know how he is booking other people but he comes up with good ideas for himself.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
What happened to goldust??

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
PRIVET PINDOS

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I look forward to Adam Rose being string up like a pig and bleeding out on the Bunny.

For real though, good on Jimmy. Maybe hiring an actual wrestling mind will help creative with the fact that angles need to involve wrestling.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah it's pretty obvious Jacobs freaking loves the business, so that's awesome.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Writer Cath posted:

Yeah it's pretty obvious Jacobs freaking loves the business, so that's awesome.

There are like a couple dozen writers and two McMahons who hate fun though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Unless Jacobs is going to work in NXT, he'll be back in ROH by Summerslam.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Unless Jacobs is going to work in NXT, he'll be back in ROH by Summerslam.

The average tenure of a writer is 6 weeks.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Humphrey Vasel posted:

I'm hoping for a decent match at Mania with him but it almost looks like they just dropped the Stardust/Goldust angle entirely.

e. Oh lol I get what you mean now.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 17, 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sting looked really good last night. And he got a nice reaction.

I hope he sticks around and shows up more after Wrestlemania.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

GrimGypsy posted:

I can't think of anything remotely realistic in not a "here to watch a house burn" sense.

Watching the house burn is pretty entertaining though.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Andre'd. Was tossed out during that impromptu battle royal with little to no fanfare.

:geno: : "There goes Goldust."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm happy for JJ collecting a paycheck but man is he gonna hate himself if the stories about creative are true.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I do not care at all for the main event of wrestlemania but it could still be really fun

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like Roman Reigns and I love Brock Lesnar so I'm happy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dave said that Vince was furious at the lawyer guy. The announcers burying him and the Des Moines Repertory Theater were Vince yelling over the headset.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Onmi posted:

so... Roman is just a complete geek at this point. I mean he gets one moment in the middle of the show and Orton and Rollins get the Main event. He's barely around and usually getting his rear end kicked when he is.

It's kind of crazy how little momentum he has considering he's supposed to be the next "guy"

At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if Brock kept the title and they gave up on Roman.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think Roman would have had his moment to shine one day, it's just not during this "season".

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Luigi Thirty posted:

Dave said that Vince was furious at the lawyer guy. The announcers burying him and the Des Moines Repertory Theater were Vince yelling over the headset.

He was really bad but the announcers talking over him was even worse.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

It's kind of crazy how little momentum he has considering he's supposed to be the next "guy"

At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if Brock kept the title and they gave up on Roman.

It kinda seemed like they were planting seeds (or at least keeping their options open) for a Roman heel turn when he said he didn't have a problem with Heyman last night, but just wanted to fight/beat Brock. At this point, that's about the only booking that'd make me care about Roman at all.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hang on, furious at what specifically? Was it meant to be a super serious bit?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Azuroru posted:

I guess if you want continuity, Seth said he faked his brotherly role in the Shield, but... at least that facade benefited them. I have no idea how faking tensions with the Authority would benefit anyone unless it was just a story telling attempt to fake out the audience or something.

Randy turned on the Authority in a way obvious to everyone but the Authority, so they tried to fake out Randy in a way that was obvious to everyone but the Authority.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope they give Roman a big production entrance at Mania and he trips, falls over, and cries during it, exposing him as a chump on the highest level. And then Seth jumps over him and cashes in to have a 25 minute title match with Brock, because he's a lot better.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

GrimGypsy posted:

Vince retires.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Hang on, furious at what specifically? Was it meant to be a super serious bit?

Apparently, yes. That guy is an actor. Guess where they hired him from.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Roman's never going to take any of the blame for not getting over and is going to be pushed as a top guy until he gets good enough that people actually like him.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

GrimGypsy posted:

Nothing, I'm going to be content to read a review of the event the next day. I may half watch it if my friends want to use it as an excuse to get together and do something.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

OctoberCountry posted:

Roman's never going to take any of the blame for not getting over and is going to be pushed as a top guy until he gets good enough that people actually like him.

Either that or they'll cool on him and end up jobbing out just as he starts to get decent.

I'm still mad about Chris Masters.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Either that or they'll cool on him and end up jobbing out just as he starts to get decent.

I'm still mad about Chris Masters.

Later, goateed Chris Masters was so much better than Reigns has ever been, and also threw a tree through a building to save his mom, showing strong family values. Replace Roman with Chris Masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

GrimGypsy posted:

I'm going to watch Wrestlemania, since you never know if something magical will happen or lightning could strike (might be a metaphor, might be part of Undertaker/Bray, might be the weather accidentally conducting a bolt to Reigns' vest). That weekend, however, my priorities in order are...

1. A Doctor Who convention for the kiddo's first cosplay.
2. The season finale of The Walking Dead where I wonder if they'll top the revolving door scene.
3. The release of Pillars of Eternity after Kickstarting it.
4. Sleeping in on Monday because I took that day off.
5. Wrestlemania because I want to be all caught up for the post-WM RAW.

The only thing, the ONLY thing, that could happen on RAW that could shake up that list?

#Look in my eyes, what do you see?#

• Locked thread