Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

OctoberCountry posted:

Roman's never going to take any of the blame for not getting over and is going to be pushed as a top guy until he gets good enough that people actually like him.

Cena got good enough but people still don't like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
One of the video games had a storyline where you team with Masters and you do all the work, win 2 vs 1 fights because he walked away, stuff like that, but he gets all the credit and fame and a magazine cover.

Like Miz and Mizdow...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Byolante posted:

Cena got good enough but people still don't like him

I like Cena a lot more now that he's in a storyline that he takes seriously, and Roman has shown me that WWE could push someone way worse

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I can't find any photos online of Roman's stupid contacts. Someone hook me up.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Sockser posted:

I can't find any photos online of Roman's stupid contacts. Someone hook me up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

loving horrifying.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just watched the Raw highlights on YouTube instead of sitting through a 3 hour Raw. I feel like I didn't miss anything and it was only 45 minutes long.

Just going to do that each week from now on.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Roman seems to be getting less handsome everytime I see him :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Roman seems to be getting less handsome everytime I see him :(

That's what happens when you have to deal with Vince close up I guess.

RR and Wrestlemania are the two things I actually get excited about during the wrestleyear and they already managed to murder one. I hope I get a twofer at this point. But I like the pure insane idea of having Rollins win the title off Brock next Monday just to make poo poo dumb-funner.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

AV Club posted:

A long time ago—about a full year ago—the Road To WrestleMania was still the time of year in which WWE finally stopped resting on its creative laurels long enough to set up for “The Grandest Stage Of Them All,” WrestleMania. Things weren’t all necessarily perfect or etched in stone in the weeks leading up to WrestleMania, but everything came together come show time, and the event ended up being quite memorable. Fast-forward a year later, to now, and with two weeks left before WrestleMania, while everything may be etched in stone—for better of worse—you still wouldn’t really believe that WresteMania is upon us. Not even with all the reminders from the WWE Superstars and announcers.

Think about it: Does it feel like the Road To WrestleMania to you? Other than people doing the obligatory “point to the sign” and LL Cool J telling us all how “spectacular” WrestleMania is, has WWE really done anything to make it feel like WrestleMania is fast-approaching? Does this season feel anything different than any other time of the year for WWE?

Simply put: no.

Think about it in terms of the championship matches in the pay-per-view for a moment: The Tag Team belts are being defended against two teams that have been nothing but jokes since their introductions into the division. (This doesn’t include the Usos, who may possibly be shelved because of Jey’s shoulder injury). The Intercontinental Championship is being shown to be a goofy Acme prop on a weekly basis. The United States Championship is a part of the match where a redneck rapper (is that Cena’s gimmick now?) beats up a foreigner who has said mean things about the United States, but it’s not the focus of the match. The Divas Championship is not on the line, because WWE thinks #GiveDivasAChance is something they made up and can mold into their own demonic image. The WWE World Heavyweight Championship is being chased by a millennial who thinks “Whatever, man” is the perfect way to punctuate a promo and who the crowd honestly doesn’t care about when he’s not in the ring (if at all). The Andre The Giant such and such is a who’s who of low and mid-card guys that WWE does not and will not care about… barring young bucks like Mark Henry, Kane, and the Big Show, that is.

Even longer than a year ago, WWE got into this line of thinking where the pay-per-views needed to be nothing more than longer, less engaging episodes of SmackDown (so this was after SmackDown stopped being engaging), and while, for a time, major shows like Survivor Series, the Royal Rumble, Money In The Bank, SummerSlam, and WrestleMania were able to avoid that curse, it was all bound to catch up to them eventually. This year’s WrestleMania reads like a warped episode of SmackDown that can’t be turned off. It feels like an obligation and a chore, and it’s not even happening yet.

It doesn’t help that the weekly programming doesn’t sell the card at all. Again, SmackDown is treated as a joke, and RAW is where things that happened the previous Thursday night are simply re-done on Monday, whether they were good on Thursday or not. RAW is the “A-show” (in name only), and SmackDown might as well be the Q-show at this point. That means a Ryback versus Miz match that wasn’t particularly good the first time around needs to be seen again on this week’s RAW. As does a good six-man tag match that was luckily spared R-Truth commentary the first go-around—it now has to have R-Truth on live commentary to derail attention (and screentime) from the match for at least a third of the time.

I want to stay this will be the last time I bring this up in a review, but at this point, I legitimately do not understand the argument that WWE is—in their own roundabout, twisted way—attempting to build up the Intercontinental Championship and the competitors in this ladder match. These are all six good to great workers (and R-Truth, whose only role in this is to remind the WWE viewing audience that “black people are funny”—note that the only match he was a part of in this whole never-ending storyline was the initial one to beat Barrett), putting on good matches, only to made to look like “turds” (thanks, WWE) and cartoon characters, literally throwing the Intercontinental Championship around like the toy Vince McMahon must believe it is. No other belt on the show is being treated like this, not even the one that looks like a butterfly or the giant twin pennies. Good luck to the Wile E. Coyote cam at WrestleMania—for once, your nickname is wholly applicable to Jerry Lawler’s asinine commentary.

Then there’s the fact that the anticipation for Roman Reigns versus Brock Lesnar—the main event of WrestleMania—at this point is based solely on train wreck potential. It doesn’t matter how “not ready” Roman Reigns is: This is all happening, and it’s happening with terrible t-shirts and stilted line-readings. It’s all happening as a crowd chants Daniel Bryan, causing Roman Reigns to have even more trouble remembering his lines. It’s all happening as the crowd goes mild for Roman Reigns. On a personal level, I am so excited for this mess, especially if it means one of Roman Reigns’ creepy zombie baby blue contact lenses falls out at one point, and it turns out to be chaos that reigns. Don’t tell him what he can’t do, because that’s how he ended up re-gaining his ability to walk after the plane crashed on the island.

As fun as that all sounds, that’s not the reaction that WWE’s booking should bring out when it comes to the main event of what is supposed to be its equivalent to the Super Bowl. And yet, that’s what’s happening as the clock ticks. After all, tonight’s RAW is only one worth discussing in terms of the general concepts presented within it, because it’s as much of a filler or throwaway episode as you’re going to get in televised professional wrestling. Again, that’s not something that should be happening at all in The Road To WrestleMania. WWE may make the rules in the wrestling or sports entertainment game, but that means it’s all the more obvious when they break their own rules. Vince McMahon describes WWE as being all about telling compelling stories, and yet the major story of this week’s episode—pretend WWE is a procedural and let’s call it the case-of-the-week—is Seth Rollins and the implosion of The Authority.

If anyone wants to throw out the argument that WWE truly is for children, then this storyline is the evidence to prove that, because anyone over the age of 14, or at least someone who has watched a decent amount of wrestling (or television, in general), should be able to see the “twist” coming a mile away. The twist that The Authority is not actually breaking up and are only doing such publicly in order to catch Randy Orton off-guard. The arrival of Vigilante (in a t-shirt) Sting at the end doesn’t change any of that. If Randy Orton coming back to The Authority upon his return from kayfabe life-threatening injury, only to turn on them, is insulting to the audience’s intelligence, than this condensed implosion in the span of one episode, is insulting to the world’s intelligence. I actually flashed back to childhood memories of D-Generation X’s ever-changing alliances in WrestleMania 15. That’s not a good thing, especially since WrestleMania 31 doesn’t promise a Brawl For All.

It’s especially frustrating when WWE finds itself on the cusp of something good in all of this disappointment, obviously despite itself. Nikki Bella and AJ Lee put on a good, decently-timed match this week which devolves from a commentary standpoint as soon as Booker T says all women hate each other and JBL and Cole give him over-the-top crap for it, clearly agreeing but not wanting to be attacked by “the PC police” (also known in this instance as people who want women to be treated like human beings—see also the promo for SmackDown’s “6-Being Interspecies Match”). This is all after the intial gut punch of a Bellas’ picture-in-picture promo featuring the two of them saying “Give Divas A Chance? Give Us A Break.” If you play that on repeat, you can practically hear WWE saying “Share your voice? We don’t care about your voice.” There’s also maniacal laughter in that version. What WWE is doing is appropriating a hashtag they don’t believe in, pretending they care about it, only to say that it’s worthless. In a sense, it’s WWE doing what it always does—burying people and things that get over by themselves and not by the help of the WWE machine.

This is no more evident (again) than when the circus of the forgotten show up in the ring for Kane’s Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal “demonstration.” Chants of “AXELMANIA” don’t make Curtis Axel any less of a joke in the eyes of Vince McMahon and the people who “matter,” so he is fodder for Mark Henry, a veteran who is fully capable of being entertaining but really shouldn’t be a featured player. Mark Henry is basically the best case scenario of the Kane and Big Show, “over the hill” type wrestler, and yet that still doesn’t mean he should be gunning for a notable position. The only way any of this can be righted is if Curtis Axel does go on to win the battle royal, but just based on who was in the ring during RAW, would it really make a difference if Curtis Axel is crowned the winner of the losers? The mid carders who “matter” (there’s that word again) are in a different match all together, so it’s not like Axel (or anyone in the match) will be beating anyone worth a drat.

Like it or not—and sadly, there aren’t many reasons to like it—WrestleMania is coming. On the bright side, at least this year’s theme is catchy and not in the obnoxious Flo Rida way.

Stray observations:

Hey, didn’t watch RAW? Well, after you’ve fully read this review, do not go and watch RAW (unless I’ve yelled at you directly to watch RAW), and instead watch Max Landis’ short film, Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling. By the way, if you’re reading this, Max Landis, I am available to throw bricks in your next short film.
Rusev shows up to a contract signing (with Dr. Borat Evil) dressed to impress, as it is technically a business affair. Cena shows up like a cranky toddler who dressed himself in the dark, and he ends up undressing over some mean words.
By the way, if WWE wanted to do Daniel Bryan versus Dolph Ziggler at WrestleMania, they should have just done Daniel Bryan versus Dolph Ziggler at WrestleMania.
It would be nice if JBL could pick whether he’s a heel or a face. He somehow manages to laud and insult Bill Simmons in single breath, and during the abysmal R-Truth commentary of the week, he offensively jives with the guy, only to constantly call him out for stealing the championship, then to eventually cheer for him to steal the championship.
Randy Orton: “I’m just a guy…” Standing in front of a “little bitch”? Also: Is it possible that Randy Orton truly believes he’s an actual snake at this point in his life?
If Undertaker’s not going to show up before WrestleMania, is there any way Michelle McCool can? Follow-up: Is there any way she can return specifically to reform LayCool and not to address the Undertaker situation at all? All while Bray talks at an urn with mythology that is spotty at best?
At least Larry Zbyszko is being inducted into the Hall of Fame.
And saving the best for last: I’m being given the opportunity to write at least another month of RAW reviews. Make sure you keep commenting and sharing, because all of this determines whether or not we can have reviews of fun wrestling shows.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

This is worse than Raw.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

All I got out of that is that people who unironically use millennial as an insult dislike Roman Reigns and like Daniel Bryan, therefore Roman Reigns is good and Daniel Bryan is bad.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Dave said that Vince was furious at the lawyer guy. The announcers burying him and the Des Moines Repertory Theater were Vince yelling over the headset.

That was a great segment. I though the horrible accent was on purpose, why hire the guy otherwise. Not like Lana's is much better. I thought they were moving in the direction that Rusev and Lana had been faking Russia backing them. I.e Lana leaves and Rusev scrambles only to hire a southern lawyer with a bad accent. Too bad we won't get more of him and his ridiculous glasses.

pigz fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 17, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
As soon as someone refers to Cena as a "rapper" I lose all interest in their point.

Like yeah he's still using the rap entrance song but c'mon.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/kevin-owens-knee-surgery-27202141

So Kevin Owens had knee surgery. Normal human recovery time for a meniscectomy is about 1-2 months, usually, so I anticipate KO will be OK in an hour.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

elf help book posted:

This is worse than Raw.

Nah I liked it. I mean it's a TV Review/Recap written for a site that does Reviews/Recaps so I'm not sure what anyone was expecting. It's probably a bit verbose (But that's the AV Club for you) but I can't really disagree too much with what's been said.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
The half dozen guys who were in cosplay in the front row for part of the show last night were told to either take off their costumes and wear John Cena shirts or leave the building.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DrVenkman posted:

Nah I liked it. I mean it's a TV Review/Recap written for a site that does Reviews/Recaps so I'm not sure what anyone was expecting. It's probably a bit verbose (But that's the AV Club for you) but I can't really disagree too much with what's been said.

Yeah I'm not sure what people are annoyed about with here. He was pretty much right about everything he said.

Also Cena's gimmick of being a redneck rapper is close, but I consider his gimmick to be red state America.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
It dawns on me that this Sheamus return reminds me a lot of when they teased Brodus Clay's return for what felt like an eternity.

So personally, I look forward Irish Jig Sheamus.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Brock signing a new contract is the one thing that could reasonably happen within the next couple weeks that would drastically increase my interest level in the card.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Keg posted:

The half dozen guys who were in cosplay in the front row for part of the show last night were told to either take off their costumes and wear John Cena shirts or leave the building.

picture

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Booker breaking kayfabe owns. During the divas match he said "here's the finish, time to go home" during a top rope spot. I love it, Maggle.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Keg posted:

Yeah, they got told to change during a commercial. The crowd as pretty upset. I didn't get the chance to talk to any of them about it but they were close to my seat. I'm not sure if they were wearing Cena shirts underneath the costumes or if they got some Cena shirts because they didn't have anything else.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Vince was probably mad that those audience members were more over than his hand-picked chosen one.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Yeah, they got told to change during a commercial. The crowd as pretty upset. I didn't get the chance to talk to any of them about it but they were close to my seat. I'm not sure if they were wearing Cena shirts underneath the costumes or if they got some Cena shirts because they didn't have anything else.

I truly don't understand WWE. They are so scared of not being a bland and sterile company they will get mad at people who paid money to sit front row because they did something fun and not even inappropriate. They are dressed as some of the most popular people from their history. What would even be the logic in this.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The_Rob posted:

I truly don't understand WWE. They are so scared of not being a bland and sterile company they will get mad at people who paid money to sit front row because they did something fun and not even inappropriate. They are dressed as some of the most popular people from their history. What would even be the logic in this.

that it distracts from the stuff going on in the ring.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

its weird cause none of the people they dressed up as are persona-non-grata and half of them are wwe hall of famers.

also, that irs guy is probably now the one and only owner of that goldust shirt..

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

pigz posted:

That was a great segment. I though the horrible accent was on purpose, why hire the guy otherwise. Not like Lana's is much better. I thought they were moving in the direction that Rusev and Lana had been faking Russia backing them. I.e Lana leaves and Rusev scrambles only to hire a southern lawyer with a bad accent. Too bad we won't get more of him and his ridiculous glasses.

Lana at least is convincing, this doofus was corpsing at his own accent.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I thought that guy was doing a Larry Sweeney costume at first, which made me very sad for a few reasons.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The_Rob posted:

No one must go over John Cena

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I guess some dude on twitter is claiming WWE took his Daniel Bryan sign last night because they "already had enough Bryan signs"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The_Rob posted:

The retarded thing is, they used to embrace and encourage that kind of poo poo. Maybe Vince is low on crack or something and his fun meter goes down when that happens.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

IRS is depressed because they gave him the Goldust shirt.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Blasmeister posted:

that it distracts from the stuff going on in the ring.

Oh no people might think that the crowd is having fun at a show.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
God forbid someone distract from the 60 second battle royal!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Who the gently caress told you you could have fun at a WWE event?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Who the gently caress told you you could have fun at a WWE event?

I had a lot of fun at the house show :shrug:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If not for the money, Vince would probably prefer Raw be filmed in a studio. Hell, at this point it would make more sense. Except, you know, how they make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I had a lot of fun at the house show :shrug:

You're lucky security didn't catch you.

• Locked thread