Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

madstrike posted:

Get one character to level 55 to unlock the new Hero class : Deathknight!

American McGee's Pillars of Eternity: Goth Enough For Ya?

More seriously there already is a sort of "death knight" in game -- Bleak Walker paladins. One really interesting build I've seen mentioned is a Bleak Walker paladin with "each time an enemy is killed" benefits, an arquebus, and the +100% damage to a single attack "flames of devotion" power. Open each fight by blasting away one enemy with the arquebus then go to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

rope kid posted:

No. It may not be possible without weird glitches/exploits unless we do some additional solo tuning. We support solo play, but it hasn't been a balancing focus at all.

Would something like BG's Wand of Monster Summoning, i.e. items of unforeseen levels of power, count? I mean you probably don't have a literal Wand of Monster Summoning (or if you do it's got the later-IE summon limit) but you know, there's probably going to be that one consumable of ridiculous usefulness. Or multiple ones.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ravenfood posted:

One big change is that it removes the [Strength 13] notice from before the dialogue "I'm going to smash your knees" so you dont know if it is a regular speech option or a special one.

It also hides interactions you don't qualify for and the AoE reticule, I believe. Among other things.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

More seriously there already is a sort of "death knight" in game -- Bleak Walker paladins. One really interesting build I've seen mentioned is a Bleak Walker paladin with "each time an enemy is killed" benefits, an arquebus, and the +100% damage to a single attack "flames of devotion" power. Open each fight by blasting away one enemy with the arquebus then go to town.

I was debating testing this out in the current build. I'm not clear whether the AoE is focused on you, or on the enemy you kill. If it's on you, it more or less renders that build useless, as Bleak Path wouldn't actually hit any enemies.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Megazver posted:

You didn't figure that out from every pre-built character build offered in every RPG ever?
All of the IWD2 starter parties were built by designers on the project and the main criterion for inclusion was that they had to win the game with that party.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

rope kid posted:

No. It may not be possible
Some autist will do it within a week.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Insurrectionist posted:

Would something like BG's Wand of Monster Summoning, i.e. items of unforeseen levels of power, count? I mean you probably don't have a literal Wand of Monster Summoning (or if you do it's got the later-IE summon limit) but you know, there's probably going to be that one consumable of ridiculous usefulness. Or multiple ones.
Consumables seem key to anyone/everyone's solo playthroughs, so that would probably be part of it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

rope kid posted:

All of the IWD2 starter parties were built by designers on the project and the main criterion for inclusion was that they had to win the game with that party.

Okay, didn't play that one.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Megazver posted:

You didn't figure that out from every pre-built character build offered in every RPG ever?

Ironically enough, some pre-built characters in Arcanum were actually decent.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is there friendly fire for AoE effects? That really annoyed me in Dragon Age. I just wanted to toss around grease fires without setting my own people on fire, game! Why must you be so troublesome?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is there friendly fire for AoE effects? That really annoyed me in Dragon Age. I just wanted to toss around grease fires without setting my own people on fire, game! Why must you be so troublesome?

Yep. The AoE ring has two sections. A yellow and green one. Bits in the yellow section have friendly fire, bits in the green section are your INT bonus and they don't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yes and no. Some abilities are "all targets," other abilties are "foe aoe" and only hit enemies, so you can pick and choose. Also, whatever bonus radius you get from Intelligence is always foe-only.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Tell one of the QA guys to try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOAMTZedt0

still works in v480

Might help a little bit with a solo run :P

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70530-435-weapon-switching-abuse/

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 17, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Sensuki how did you get the frilly hat

I really hope that starting vendor at the caravan sells frilly hats and blunderbusses

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Smol posted:

How do I build a spellsword in this game? Mostly melee damage, but also using buff / debuff / cc spells.

If you just want to play a melee combatant that casts magic than cipher or chanter are probably best for that, Chanter has a lot of passive buffs that heavy armor wouldn't adversely affect and Ciphers are based around attacking enemies with their weapon to build up their casting resource.

rope kid has talked about making sure that a gish wizard build is possible so you could also play a straight up fighting wizard by relying on defensive buffs I imagine. Priest seems like it'll support a similar playstyle with those feats specializing in your god's favorite weapon types.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yes and no. Some abilities are "all targets," other abilties are "foe aoe" and only hit enemies, so you can pick and choose. Also, whatever bonus radius you get from Intelligence is always foe-only.

God, I hope these are actually defined well in the item/ability description texts.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Sensuki how did you get the frilly hat

I summoned it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Drifter posted:

God, I hope these are actually defined well in the item/ability description texts.

They are, once you realize "oh, that's what Foe AoE means" etc. The info's all there but you do have to spend a little time learning what the terminology means and where to look.

The Backer Beta does feel very information dense but that's party because it drops you straight into the middle section of the game, so you've got a lot of stuff to process right away that would've been introduced to a normal player more gradually.

There are some parts of the game that don't feel like they're explained well -- the damage formula especially still confuses me and I've read very detailed posts explaining it more than once - but they seem to be working on the clarity front generally. For example, I complained in one thread that Chanter phrase linger times weren't clearly displayed and the new backer beta has a whole new UI element just for displaying what chanter phrases are active.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 17, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

They are, once you realize "oh, that's what Foe AoE means" etc. The info's all there but you do have to spend a little time learning what the terminology means and where to look.

As long as it's all there, I don't mind having to learn a few extra game-specific terminologies.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

Tell one of the QA guys to try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOAMTZedt0

still works in v480

Might help a little bit with a solo run :P

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70530-435-weapon-switching-abuse/
You can click directly on the weapon switch icon if you just want to cycle/toggle.

There's already a bug in for this. In combat (with hostiles, that is), it's usually only useful for missile weapons because the combat state will start enforcing the weapon switching recovery time. I think the intended fix is that if you've passed the hit event on the attack animation, switching weapons will always incur a recovery penalty.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

There are figurines in the game that summon creatures, but you can only have one summoned creature ability(some abilities summon more than one creature) active. I think figurines aren't consumed, but you can use them once per resting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hieronymous Alloy, I just checked the ranged Bleak Walker build. Black Path is focused on you, so if you're using a ranged weapon it's useless as all of the enemies are out of range. You can still get the bonus from Inspiring Triumph though, obviously. I've been using more or less exactly the same build in this BB with a pike and that works really well. You can get some quite impressive DPS out of a paladin if you build her right.

It's a shame though, a gun-toting Bleak Walker sniper would have been cool.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

rope kid posted:

Who made (and wrote) the all-woman party? That one was cool.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

CottonWolf posted:

Hieronymous Alloy, I just checked the ranged Bleak Walker build. Black Path is focused on you, so if you're using a ranged weapon it's useless as all of the enemies are out of range. You can still get the bonus from Inspiring Triumph though, obviously. I've been using more or less exactly the same build in this BB with a pike and that works really well. You can get some quite impressive DPS out of a paladin if you build her right.

Clearly the answer is to engage the enemy more closely.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

xthetenth posted:

Clearly the answer is to engage the enemy more closely.

The wind-up on guns is so long that I can't really imagine wanting to use them up close.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CottonWolf posted:

Grump Grump. Maybe with maxed out Int? Go all Solomon Kane.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DatonKallandor posted:

Who made (and wrote) the all-woman party? That one was cool.
I think it was either Damien Foletto or John Deiley.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

prometheus12345 posted:

There are figurines in the game that summon creatures, but you can only have one summoned creature ability(some abilities summon more than one creature) active. I think figurines aren't consumed, but you can use them once per resting.

Whew, I was really hoping I"d be able to make my own Drizzit.

Lookit me, making Drizzt references in TYOOL 2015.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I thought that too. The build I tested maxed INT for that reason, still not a good enough range for guns. You could do it if you're willing to stand just behind the frontliners, then it essentially just becomes my pike build with more occasional harder hits.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CottonWolf posted:

I thought that too. The build I tested maxed INT for that reason, still not a good enough range for guns. You could do it if you're willing to stand just behind the frontliners, then it essentially just becomes my pike build with more occasional harder hits.

Well, that works though because Pike and Arquebus are in the same weapon set, right, Soldier? So you open with medium range arquebus blast and then go to town with pike or great sword.

Captain Concept
Aug 23, 2014

You could always start with a shot or two to get an enemy or two down to Near Death or Badly Injured, and then switch to melee to get the most out of it.

E: Hah..

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Well, that works though because Pike and Arquebus are in the same weapon set, right, Soldier? So you open with medium range arquebus blast and then go to town with pike or great sword.

Oh, yeah, didn't think of that. That works.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ravenfood posted:

One big change is that it removes the [Strength 13] notice from before the dialogue "I'm going to smash your knees" so you dont know if it is a regular speech option or a special one.

I've got mixed feelings on if I want to play with these on or off. On the one hand it feels rewarding to see "[Cool 17] Draw forth Excalibur", and I instantly think: "Hey, hey! That's ME! I have a Cool of 17!'. It lets you SEE that your character building choices are influencing dialog and not everyone gets to automatically draw forth Exaclibur.

On the other hand I also find myself playing by bonus. "Ah, that's an unlock, so it's almost certainly the optimal choice", or "Hmm, I guess I'll say choice 3, because I'm definitely 'Benevolent'".

I'm leaning towards turning those off on my first playthrough and on future ones.

VERY cool that we get a choice! :3:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I can't wait to build my Off Tank Rogue Old Vailia Hoplite dwarf. I love how viable most builds are and that you don't get punished for not knowing the ruleset by heart and get hosed 60 hours down the line because you can't pick that feat since you're missing one loving point in Dexterity.

If the backer's beta is any indication, this game is exactly what they said they wanted to build during the Kickstarter. I really hope there are no huge game breaking bugs so we can end the stupid "Obsidian releases buggy games lol!" jokes.

Drifter posted:

For the non-sperg game player, does expert mode seem like a viable playthrough?

I think it also removes details on potions and enemies (like what their Damage Resistance is etc.) so I woudn't recommend it for a first run.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wait if Flames of Devotion works on ranged for release, does that mean the Blunderbuss pallies can set entire groups on fire?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

we can still pick and choose which of those options we turn off, right? like, can i have the aoe reticles but ditch conversation trigger visibility or is it all or nothing?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Eej posted:

Wait if Flames of Devotion works on ranged for release, does that mean the Blunderbuss pallies can set entire groups on fire?

All blunderbuss projectiles fire at the same target, so no. What *does* work is "on hit" or *on crit" effects going off 8 times simultaneously, though even there effects with duration don't "stack," just the longest duration one applies. I'm quietly hoping that somewhere there's a blunderbuss with "on hit: random spell" for maximum comedy.

Furism posted:

I can't wait to build my Off Tank Rogue Old Vailia Hoplite dwarf. I love how viable most builds are and that you don't get punished for not knowing the ruleset by heart and get hosed 60 hours down the line because you can't pick that feat since you're missing one loving point in Dexterity.

If the backer's beta is any indication, this game is exactly what they said they wanted to build during the Kickstarter. I really hope there are no huge game breaking bugs so we can end the stupid "Obsidian releases buggy games lol!" jokes.

I think it also removes details on potions and enemies (like what their Damage Resistance is etc.) so I woudn't recommend it for a first run.

There are still one or two minor traps. I'd recommend strongly against pumping Perception in any caster or ranged build; most non-gun ranged weapons seem kinda ehhhhhh. And bad builds are certainly possible if you don't know the system (example: a cipher with all CC abilities but low Intelligence). But on the whole yeah maybe they didn't hit dead center of the bullseye but they landed in the center ring. You can gently caress up your build if you don't know what you're doing, but just about any build concept *can* work if you build it correctly.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 17, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fungah! posted:

we can still pick and choose which of those options we turn off, right? like, can i have the aoe reticles but ditch conversation trigger visibility or is it all or nothing?

Yeah. I think expert mode disables them all, but otherwise you can pick. Pretty sure I'd never use expert mode. Turning off spell effect radii isn't fun or challenging it's just frustrating and annoying.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah. I think expert mode disables them all, but otherwise you can pick. Pretty sure I'd never use expert mode. Turning off spell effect radii isn't fun or challenging it's just frustrating and annoying.

Unless you're going for Tripple Crown Solo and you don't need to worry about friendly fire :getin:

Without the explicit caster supremacy of the AD&D ruleset, I'm having a hard time even speculating which class might be the most viable for that particular achievement. Maybe chanter, since they can wear heavy armor without it really affecting their class abilities? Plus they can spam mobs to try and create temporary targets for the monster swarms.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

rope kid posted:

Playing IWD2 was weird that way. "Wait, this pregenerated party is actually good and interesting! And the loading tips are...useful?"

Stopped halfway through because it was more dungeon-crawl than I'm looking for right now but it got me even more excited about PoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

homeless poster posted:

Unless you're going for Tripple Crown Solo and you don't need to worry about friendly fire :getin:

Without the explicit caster supremacy of the AD&D ruleset, I'm having a hard time even speculating which class might be the most viable for that particular achievement. Maybe chanter, since they can wear heavy armor without it really affecting their class abilities? Plus they can spam mobs to try and create temporary targets for the monster swarms.

Honestly my guess would be rogue and go for an extremely stealthy gank playthrough, sneaking past as much as possible.

• Locked thread