Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What am I missing by not backing this at a sane level when I had the opportunity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

It's a small thing but I really dig that this map makes sense geographically.

RIP the lake of drow tombs

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

It's a small thing but I really dig that this map makes sense geographically.

Can you elaborate for us non geologist types?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Where's Bookworld?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rename one of the vailian republics city 5 tia

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 18, 2015

Selane
May 19, 2006

mitochondritom posted:

I think it's a joke, as I recall when it was first posted during the kickstarter a bunch of spergs got into a slapfight because of a river delta being designed 'unrealistically' or something.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

mitochondritom posted:

My entire knowledge comes from being in detention and 20 minutes of a geography teacher telling me why Middle-earth was bullshit but just stuff like forests growing where moisture from the sea is blocked by mountain ranges, political borders shaped by physical impasses, settlements along rivers, rivers feeding from high altitude areas instead of just appearing at random lakes or meandering off the map, simple stuff that shows at least a bit of thought has been put into it.

I don't know jack poo poo about the lore, but the ruined civilisation being in very verdant land but then being supplanted by regions with better trade capabilities rings true too. Like I said, a small thing but I like it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Selane posted:

I think it's a joke, as I recall when it was first posted during the kickstarter a bunch of spergs got into a slapfight because of a river delta being designed 'unrealistically' or something.

I thought it was that the original map showed rivers splitting as they moved towards the sea, and someone here pointed out that they tend to combine as they move towards the sea. Then I think ropekid was like 'PM me', and presumably there was some river chat, and then he posted the fixed map with hydrologically appropriate rivers.

EDIT: Because if I've learned anything about ropekid it's that he cares about details. :3:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Fungah! posted:

rename one of the vailian republics city 9 tia
It has to be one big tire fire though

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So I understand that the game doesn't have a traditional aggro/threat system, but can you reliably predict which party members the enemy is going to target? Just how worried should I be that a dragon will randomly turn away from the big burly fighter and splatter the backstabbing rogue in two swings?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

for real i'm going to be real sadd if there's not a tiny zybourne reference somewhere rope kid

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Vitamin P posted:

My entire knowledge comes from being in detention and 20 minutes of a geography teacher telling me why Middle-earth was bullshit but just stuff like forests growing where moisture from the sea is blocked by mountain ranges, political borders shaped by physical impasses, settlements along rivers, rivers feeding from high altitude areas instead of just appearing at random lakes or meandering off the map, simple stuff that shows at least a bit of thought has been put into it.

Then somebody must explain London, Paris, Lyon and Kiev to me, just to name a few. Also Tolkien was a linguist, not a geograph, so we probably probably give him some slack on that area.

Although the geography teacher should read Neal Stephenson's REAMDE. The Jason Bourne-y side is just okay, but the MMORPG side is brilliant especially the part where they hired an autistic geologist to build a geographically correct map as well as realistic underground ore placement.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Furism posted:

Then somebody must explain London, Paris, Lyon and Kiev to me, just to name a few. Also Tolkien was a linguist, not a geograph, so we probably probably give him some slack on that area.

Although the geography teacher should read Neal Stephenson's REAMDE. The Jason Bourne-y side is just okay, but the MMORPG side is brilliant especially the part where they hired an autistic geologist to build a geographically correct map as well as realistic underground ore placement.

Vitamin was listing geographical stuff that was correct like settlements being by rivers (like london) and borders formed from physical boundaries.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
^^^ Ok. Yeah. That was confusing.

Furism posted:

Isn't London on the river Thames? And Paris on the Seine?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Didn't Chris Avellone write Mask of the Betrayer, too? That was one of the strongest offerings I think I've seen.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Concurred posted:

Didn't Chris Avellone write Mask of the Betrayer, too? That was one of the strongest offerings I think I've seen.

and planescape torment

VV mwahaha

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
^^ Ah sorry, I totally misread that post :(

Magitek posted:

So I understand that the game doesn't have a traditional aggro/threat system, but can you reliably predict which party members the enemy is going to target? Just how worried should I be that a dragon will randomly turn away from the big burly fighter and splatter the backstabbing rogue in two swings?

An enemy will stop at whoever in your party is engaging him. When you get into melee range, you get engaged. If you try to leave that area, the character engaging the other one gets a free hit (which comes with fries, accuracy and critical chance bonuses). You can get engaged by more than one enemy, but you can engage only one (unless you get a talent that allows you to engage more). Typically an enemy will try not to trigger an engagement attack but they also have a whole list of conditions to work around that: use an ability that cancels engagement for instance, or just go for the Fighter's engagement because the Wizard is really screwing you up.

Crowd Control is very important in this game and most classes have a way to at least partially block an enemy but some are better than others (Ciphers are great for that).

I believe huge enemies (Ogres, Trolls) don't care about engagement, or might even be immune to it (Dragons? Who knows). Rope kid explained this very well in the old thread but I can't find the exact post.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I'd think that, realistically :spergin:, if you're a big giant character then the limitations of engagement wouldn't really apply, or matter that much to you, as every movement of yours would technically be a disengagement and reengagement.

Concurred posted:

Avellone really likes animal companions.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 17, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My general advice for a wizard would be to max Int and Might. Dexterity might be good for maxing a speed-dump wizard and probably could work BUT you'd have the problem that you only get so many spells per encounter / per rest and if you dump them all then what are you doing?

It's probably possible to get more per-encounter spells than a slow wizard can use up in one encounter. So the more encounter powers you get the better the fast wizard gets. If the encounter goes long he has to dip into per-rest spells faster than the slow wizard, but I don't think fast wizard is non-viable. Oh and he'll be throwing out more wand/weapon attacks too, which could be useful for interrupts.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Concurred posted:

Yeah, he worked on it. I think George Ziets was the main developer for it.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
As awesome as Chris Avellone is, I think it's a bit of a shame that the other writers at Obsidian tend to get the short shrift while everything the company has ever done gets attributed to him.

At least George Ziets became the patron saint of Kickstarter stretch goals!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Furism posted:

Basically every Old World city is built on a river, lake or spring of some sort. Water is too important; if there wasn't a large body of water nearby it wouldn't be able to grow enough to be a city.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kiev is on the Dnieper and Lyon is right near the confluence of the Rhone and Saone for reference.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Hannibal Smith posted:

As awesome as Chris Avellone is, I think it's a bit of a shame that the other writers at Obsidian tend to get the short shrift while everything the company has ever done gets attributed to him.

Agreed. I didn't even know Eric Fenstermaker was so involved in the best parts of New Vegas until the OP.

There's just an insanely talented team there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Are you guys still responding to Furism as if he hadn't misread the post he was responding to?

I'm so damned psyched for the game. It's been hard avoiding spoilers and whatnot, but with a week-ish to go I think I'm doing all right. Hopefully I've picked up enough strategy talk that I won't be frozen during character creation.
:unsmigghh::respek::black101:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 18, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DatonKallandor posted:

It's probably possible to get more per-encounter spells than a slow wizard can use up in one encounter. So the more encounter powers you get the better the fast wizard gets. If the encounter goes long he has to dip into per-rest spells faster than the slow wizard, but I don't think fast wizard is non-viable. Oh and he'll be throwing out more wand/weapon attacks too, which could be useful for interrupts.

OK, yeah, that's a good point. There is also the issue that "excess" might above what you need to kill a target is "wasted." It might be that a high end wizard would want int, Dex, might in that order.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Surely there could be a more descriptive title for this...

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Agreed. I didn't even know Eric Fenstermaker was so involved in the best parts of New Vegas until the OP.

There's just an insanely talented team there.

In the current credits him, Carrie Patel and Olivia Veras are credited as the three main writers even (leads and full writers respectively). Avellone, Sawyer, Ziets, etc are under "additional writing".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jackard posted:

Surely there could be a more descriptive title for this...

old school gaming for the new school of gamers

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

we were going to go with "the word f**k is used in dialogue" but guess not

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Small quibble, will zooming in on the mouse pointer's location be implemented at any point?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the word f**k is apparently used in dialogue thoug h

Selane
May 19, 2006

gently caress You, Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Laws of Physics-Defying Rivers

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

willing to settle posted:

In the current credits him, Carrie Patel and Olivia Veras are credited as the three main writers even (leads and full writers respectively). Avellone, Sawyer, Ziets, etc are under "additional writing".

Carrie Patel apparently just released her first novel, The Buried Life. It had a certain amount of pre-release hype.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hannibal Smith posted:

Its a real shame because they clearly have had incredibly talented writers there over the years, and I was genuinely pleasantly surprised while looking over the Fallout Wiki to find new names popping up as writers for parts I really loved. John Gonzalez in particular owns big time.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DatonKallandor posted:

I don't think wizards get per encounter spells. You'll probably want to max dex anyway though since perception is worthless to wizards and resolve and concentration are mostly worthless.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Pillars of Eternity: There are other awesome writers at Obsidian besides Chris Avellone

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Roguelike posted:

I don't think wizards get per encounter spells. You'll probably want to max dex anyway though since perception is worthless to wizards and resolve and concentration are mostly worthless.

Wizards' lower level spells will turn from per rest to per level as you get more experience.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Are there any chat options that unlock with *low* stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Concurred posted:

If you want to attribute it to a single person, that'd be George Ziets. Avellone did mostly just Kaelyn in MotB.

• Locked thread