Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Roguelike posted:

I don't think wizards get per encounter spells. You'll probably want to max dex anyway though since perception is worthless to wizards and resolve and concentration are mostly worthless.

Doesn't resolve increase the duration of spells? That seems useful for wizards. I haven't played the beta though so I don't know if it has a real practical effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

UrbicaMortis posted:

Doesn't resolve increase the duration of spells? That seems useful for wizards. I haven't played the beta though so I don't know if it has a real practical effect.

Nope int. Ignore wiki, wiki bad.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nope int. Ignore wiki, wiki bad.

Fair enough. I guess I'll work it out when I'm actually at the character creation screen. I'm planning to make a pretty traditional wizard so it shouldn't be too tricky.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorn Myson posted:

Its a real shame because they clearly have had incredibly talented writers there over the years, and I was genuinely pleasantly surprised while looking over the Fallout Wiki to find new names popping up as writers for parts I really loved. John Gonzalez in particular owns big time.
It's a drat shame Gonzalez is no longer part of Obsidian. I have a generally negative view towards the "scattered journals recordings/notes/audiologs" style of delivering backstory, but the Survivalist's logs made Honest Hearts my favourite DLC.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Roguelike posted:

I don't think wizards get per encounter spells. You'll probably want to max dex anyway though since perception is worthless to wizards and resolve and concentration are mostly worthless.

Perception isn't worthless for wizards. Most spells have an average interupt and interrupting more than one person is very good. The other time you will atack with the default weapon and Blast also has an average interrupt. Concentration is more useful if you are doing melee wizards.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AXE COP posted:

Wizards' lower level spells will turn from per rest to per level as you get more experience.

Oh hey, you're right. I just never had a level 9 wizard before and thought the character creation screen was lying to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

prometheus12345 posted:

Perception isn't worthless for wizards. Most spells have an average interupt and interrupting more than one person is very good. The other time you will atack with the default weapon and Blast also has an average interrupt. Concentration is more useful if you are doing melee wizards.

Ehh, from what I've seen and the analyses people post, return on invested points is minimal, and more importantly if a wizard wants to interrupt he has hard cc which automatically interrupts if it hits. Same reason per isn't too useful for ciphers. If they want to interrupt they just paralyze.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Furism posted:

Then somebody must explain London, Paris, Lyon and Kiev to me, just to name a few. Also Tolkien was a linguist, not a geograph, so we probably probably give him some slack on that area.

Who the gently caress is Tolkien?

Old Thrashbarg
Dec 18, 2003
Forgive me if this has already been discussed to death, but: for those who've been playing the backer betas (or have just been digging into the mechanics a lot), are the Attributes fairly balanced? Reading the OP, it seems like Might is awfully useful for just about any character (except maybe party buffers). On the other hand, Resolve seems kind of situational.

Obviously every score would be more or less important depending on your build, but on casual inspection it seems like Might would be more important for more builds than some of the other scores.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

If you want to build a character around CCing, it's less useful. E: Or non-healing support.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Are there any chat options that unlock with *low* stats?

Low int options eh?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
What's the best way to build a Duelist/Swashbuckler? I love Rogues, but I love being a more Duelist-y kind of Rogue, and less Assassin-y. Running into combat, evading/parrying blows and whirlwind attacks is best, not cowardly backstabs from the shadows.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

rope kid posted:

If you want to build a character around CCing, it's less useful. E: Or non-healing support.

I built a rogue without much might that was focused on int and dex and that worked well. I had lots of time to walk around the battlefield cloaked so I could get to anyone to backstab them. Even classes that could benefit a lot from might don't [i]have[i/] to depending on what you want to accomplish. That's what's so great about the system.

E: ^^^

Take movement oriented abilities and focus on accuracy feats instead of backstab and cloak stuff. A fighter could also work with the right talents taken. If I remember correctly Edér was originally supposed to be a rogue that was more swashbuckly but apparently became a fighter at some point.

Riven fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 18, 2015

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Ehh, from what I've seen and the analyses people post, return on invested points is minimal, and more importantly if a wizard wants to interrupt he has hard cc which automatically interrupts if it hits. Same reason per isn't too useful for ciphers. If they want to interrupt they just paralyze.

You don't have to use a limited ability for interrupting, especially with blast you will do aoe interrupts without using any ability. At the moment I thiink the the influence of per and con is too low, it should be more around 6. I think maybe they should even remove the influence of grazes, hits and crits and every time you graze or above you will have the same chance to interrupt.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 18, 2015

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

I mean, interrupt isn't like in BG, it's not just to stop enemy casting, it pushes their yellow recovery bar back. If you have characters with high natural interrupt they're constantly slowing enemy attacks down and mitigating damage overall.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Vitamin P posted:

Who the gently caress is Tolkien?

You might know him as a big influence on R.A. Salvatore.

Old Thrashbarg posted:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed to death, but: for those who've been playing the backer betas (or have just been digging into the mechanics a lot), are the Attributes fairly balanced? Reading the OP, it seems like Might is awfully useful for just about any character (except maybe party buffers). On the other hand, Resolve seems kind of situational.

Obviously every score would be more or less important depending on your build, but on casual inspection it seems like Might would be more important for more builds than some of the other scores.

Right now yeah pretty much everyone can benefit from a little Might, it's probably the best place to dump extra points you aren't sure what to do with. That said I can think of a few builds that wouldn't need it. A really defensive tank, built just to soak up attacks, might not really need it. As Ropekid said a CC focused caster might not either (though a cipher might still want it to build focus; a low-might cipher would go draining whip and then probably dual weild, a high-might cipher might prefer biting whip and blunderbuss).

That said yeah Might's a decent choice for just about anyone. I think it might be good to shift some of the Fortitude benefit it gives over to Constitution for that reason.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ceaselessfuture posted:

What's the best way to build a Duelist/Swashbuckler? I love Rogues, but I love being a more Duelist-y kind of Rogue, and less Assassin-y. Running into combat, evading/parrying blows and whirlwind attacks is best, not cowardly backstabs from the shadows.
Perception for armourless deflection and dexterity to boost attack rate (giving yourself more chances to interrupt with your high perception) I guess. Maybe a bit of resolve for further deflection, but otherwise might. Ruffian or noble focuses for increased accuracy with sabres and stilettos or rapiers and daggers. Probably two weapon style on top of that, though you could do weapon and shield with a buckler. Not going to be your main tank at any rate, but less glass cannon-y than other rogues.

Suppose you could also do it with other classes to get higher base endurance, HP, and/or deflection, so long as you're not tied to rogue talents and abilities.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

rope kid posted:

You can click directly on the weapon switch icon if you just want to cycle/toggle.

There's already a bug in for this. In combat (with hostiles, that is), it's usually only useful for missile weapons because the combat state will start enforcing the weapon switching recovery time. I think the intended fix is that if you've passed the hit event on the attack animation, switching weapons will always incur a recovery penalty.

What about if you accidentally click switch weapons twice? It will give you 4 second recovery ? (should just reset the timer to 2 IMO)

Do you guys have a bug for most neutral npcs going into recovery at the start of combat if you attack them from the non-combat state? (it's like they all make an invisible weapon switch or something)

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 18, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

Do you guys have a bug for most neutral npcs going into recovery at the start of combat if you attack them from the non-combat state? (it's like they all make an invisible weapon switch or something)
Hmm, not sure. I'll ask.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Can Fighters even do consistent damage in this game or are they pure tank/defenders. I wanna make the classic all points on Strength Might Fighter

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

frajaq posted:

Can Fighters even do consistent damage in this game or are they pure tank/defenders. I wanna make the classic all points on Strength Might Fighter

For my first few runs through the backer beta the default dwarf fighter (20 Might) was consistently my highest damage dealer, so yeah.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

rope kid posted:

Hmm, not sure. I'll ask.

Also, I reported the Two Handed Style talent having a +1.1 instead of a x1.1, but I think the person who reported it mis-read my report and in the v480 patch notes Brandon wrote that the description was updated to be less confusing - but it still says +1.1 damage instead of x1.1

frajaq posted:

I would also highly recommend Max Intellect Fighter with Knock Down and Bonus Knock Down - goes deep.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

frajaq posted:

In the beta my fighter and rogue were fighting it out for most damage done total, and that includes blunderbuss sneak attacks from the rogue and the fighter in heavy armor. They can put out some very solid damage very consistently.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ceaselessfuture posted:

Probably Fighter with either just a one handed Rapier/Estoc or dual weapon Rapier/Dagger. You're on the front lines, you don't do sneak attacks and you can be pretty tanky/evadey while still being able to pull off neat tricks.

Alternatively, Barbarian as an AOE skirmisher type unit could fit as well. Dual weapons, wade into the fray to attack everyone like a hurricane etc.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

What about if you accidentally click switch weapons twice? It will give you 4 second recovery ? (should just reset the timer to 2 IMO)
Each time you click to switch, it will reset the "Weapon Switch" portion of your recovery to 2. So if you double click in real-time, you may gain a fraction of a second additional recovery, but if it's done during a pause, you can cycle through them a billion times and it should still just be base 2 recovery.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

rope kid posted:

Each time you click to switch, it will reset the "Weapon Switch" portion of your recovery to 2. So if you double click in real-time, you may gain a fraction of a second additional recovery, but if it's done during a pause, you can cycle through them a billion times and it should still just be base 2 recovery.

Oh good, they did change it to reset to two - used to add 2 seconds no matter what.

Zore posted:

Probably Fighter with either just a one handed Rapier/Estoc or dual weapon Rapier/Dagger. You're on the front lines, you don't do sneak attacks and you can be pretty tanky/evadey while still being able to pull off neat tricks.

I actually would not recommend 1H style at the moment, it's very bad. Just dual wield or 2H it if you want to deal good damage.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Some balance changes courtesy of ropekid's twitter: overall Deflection bonuses and Accuracy penalties have been reduced for larger shields, and Flames of Devotion is now 2/encounter, less damage, and now works on both melee and ranged.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can you play the game as a pacifist and just like, farm at the stronghold and maybe do some light mining?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - oddly enough, that's the iPhone/tablet version

Sensuki posted:

I actually would not recommend 1H style at the moment, it's very bad. Just dual wield or 2H it if you want to deal good damage.

Why is one-handed bad? Does that apply in general, or just for making a character do the ultimate highest damage possible?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Khanstant posted:

Can you play the game as a pacifist and just like, farm at the stronghold and maybe do some light mining?

No. Combat is the core mechanic of the game, you cannot progress if you will not engage in it. There are some non-combat solutions to quests, but they are very much the exception and not the norm.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Khanstant posted:

Probably. If you're the sort of person who doesn't like games. Or being alive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Drifter posted:

^^^ - oddly enough, that's the iPhone/tablet version

Why is one-handed bad? Does that apply in general, or just for making a character do the ultimate highest damage possible?

It's just not quite as good as anything else. It has an accuracy bonus but you don't have the attack rate of dual-weild, you don't have the big damage of two-handed, you don't have the defense of sword and board. Plus you've got an empty item slot with nothing in it giving you bonuses.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

It's just not quite as good as anything else. It has an accuracy bonus but you don't have the attack rate of dual-weild, you don't have the big damage of two-handed, you don't have the defense of sword and board. Plus you've got an empty item slot with nothing in it giving you bonuses.

So to fix that you would do...what, ideally? That kinda sucks (and seems silly) that there's this whole combat option that is inferior to the degree you describe. Like, there are one-handed (not S&B) abilities you can level up and select, right?

Shouldn't dual-wield give you reduced (but overall higher than 1H) weapon damage at the expense of a one-handed dodge and recovery increases or something?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 18, 2015

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I would like to see less of a recovery time penalty for 1H style, I think being slow really hurts the style. The talent for it is also terrible as well.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

1H used to be, by far, the most favored style. The only thing we changed, IIRC, was its Accuracy bonus.

If 1H became faster, there'd be less to distinguish it from two-weapon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Drifter posted:

So to fix that you would do...what, ideally? That kinda sucks (and seems silly) that there's this whole combat option that is inferior to the degree you describe.

It does suck! But I mean you're voluntarily giving up a slot and it's hard to fix directly. If you balance one-handed weapons for one-handed use they'll be too powerful when dual wielded, etc.

Another part of the problem is that +accuracy has diminishing returns because (from the tests I've seen people run) converting misses and grazes into hits is really valuable but converting hits into crits is less so and once you're hitting all the time you're hitting all the time.

My inner theorycrafter says something like "multiply all enchantments and bonuses on one-handed weapons by x1.5 if the off hand slot is empty" but that's probably not doable, though it might be an interesting mod to play around with. Another option might be to give it some DR penetration, or maybe slight bonuses to deflection, accuracy, and attack rate. Honestly I'm not really sure. Maybe special weapons that work better if the off hand slot is empty? Flowers or tassels or fans or something for the off-hand slot that give bonuses and fill the "empty" slot?

To be fair I'm not saying it's unplayable or anything and this is a single player game so balance doesn't have to be perfect.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 18, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Khanstant posted:

Wrong game, bud.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

My inner theorycrafter says something like "multiply all enchantments and bonuses on one-handed weapons by x1.5 if the off hand slot is empty" but that's probably not doable, though it might be an interesting mod to play around with.

Something like that might be interesting, but yeah, I guess at some point it's a role-playing game and if you purposely want to limit yourself by removing items or whatever to fit a role, there's no way that can be balanced for fairly.

I wonder if your dual-wielding weapons attack and defense stats go down if you have more people engaging you during a fight. A second-hand weapon can't really close an entire line of attacks like a shield does.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 18, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The obvious solution is to go for full-on Soldier specialization and turn into a Landsknecht:

Seriously, look at those dudes and despair, for you shall never be that swag. Also, please have the sound guys loop this endlessly in combat if you've got a character in platemail, arquebus and greatsword tia ropekid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CommissarMega posted:

The obvious solution is to go for full-on Soldier specialization and turn into a Landsknecht:

Seriously, look at those dudes and despair, for you shall never be that swag.

I like this painting because it tries to make Landsknechts look less ridiculous than they were in real life.

• Locked thread